Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
It's working perfectly fine for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
Yeah, I definitely don't already have the dodgy non-official version that seems to work a whole lot better than the official one, unless you're on a Mac, no sir...

Red Metal posted:

It's working perfectly fine for me.

Ah excellent. That probably means that it's particular to the account... Apparently resubscribing can break things, going from the old style of subscription to the new? :shrug:

Time to find out how good their support response is :laffo:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Nah it's just dodgy as heck cause it isn't being supported, keep trying and eventually it'll load a stable instance.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I brought up the question “so what do we play after this campaign“ and it was suggested that we do a 2-3 session dungeon crawl, just to try some character build ideas, which morphed into “let's do Madness at Gardmore Abbey“ almost instantly. It's post-essentials and I should be able to use it as-is, regarding monster math, right?

Any tips on accomodating six players?

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

Noxin of Shame posted:

Yeah, I definitely don't already have the dodgy non-official version that seems to work a whole lot better than the official one, unless you're on a Mac, no sir...

Ah excellent. That probably means that it's particular to the account... Apparently resubscribing can break things, going from the old style of subscription to the new? :shrug:

Time to find out how good their support response is :laffo:

Which browser are you using? The online builder works on firefox, but not on chrome for me, strangely.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

My Lovely Horse posted:

I brought up the question “so what do we play after this campaign“ and it was suggested that we do a 2-3 session dungeon crawl, just to try some character build ideas, which morphed into “let's do Madness at Gardmore Abbey“ almost instantly. It's post-essentials and I should be able to use it as-is, regarding monster math, right?

Any tips on accomodating six players?
Tell them you will run one or more normally to test whether they want more challenging encounters and afterwards ask them to buy in to the idea of your altering the encounters to fit the party size better. If they don't, great–you don't have to do any more work, just run everything as is. They might not have the power level of an expected 5 PC party, or they might have more and like it to be less challenging. Accommodate that.

If they do want things scaled up, I think the XP increase is equivalent to adding 1 standard monster of equivalent level to the PCs. The easiest way to do things is to take one monster in that encounter or area, scale it up or down to the party level and add them to fights.

For reference, I'm running it right now on the forums and in OOC chat there's been whining about the high difficulty of the encounters, though no one has died and I've told them running away without taking out every monster is an option, and so far they've consistently been able to take out every monster. They bought in when I told them I heard it was a challenging module, so unless they straight up say I should make it easier, I'm running it as is. It might go the same for you but in the other direction. Since it's less work for the GM and you're a player too and your fun matters too, not having to do extra work should have value.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Has anyone found a good way to speed up combat encounters? I feel like they were always the main thing that would slow down my games.

I still think 4e is my favorite edition, but I just wish the combat only took half the time. It feels like every turn takes 20 minutes and people spend more time unengaged than active.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Mordiceius posted:

Has anyone found a good way to speed up combat encounters? I feel like they were always the main thing that would slow down my games.

I still think 4e is my favorite edition, but I just wish the combat only took half the time. It feels like every turn takes 20 minutes and people spend more time unengaged than active.
Use MM3 math if you are not already, and try to refrain from using soldier enemies, blasters are always great and make combat fun and short, and shy of that, try things like indiscriminate environmental damage.

As for making turns faster, help players have their accuracy and damage ready to go, things like the character builder sheets' power cards help a lot, and try to not use/discourage temporary bonuses, as these slow down turns trying to figure out the new math.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Use Fantasy Grounds' combat tracker on a laptop/surface-style tablet. Makes tracking effects, modifiers, DMGO, saves, and everything you need to keep track of absolutely amazing.
It's 40dollars for a once-off lifetime license and with that you can do everything in 4e that you will ever need to do. Does suck that it's up front but for 4e its worth it. My group for 4e have been using it and have only run into combat speed issues that are player caused (people that hmm and haww about their action only when it comes to their turn etc).
If you have DDI you can easily put the entire compendium and everything into FG for drag-drop use. If you dont have DDI anymore, but use CBLoader or similar its the same deal.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Spiteski posted:

Use Fantasy Grounds' combat tracker on a laptop/surface-style tablet. Makes tracking effects, modifiers, DMGO, saves, and everything you need to keep track of absolutely amazing.
It's 40dollars for a once-off lifetime license and with that you can do everything in 4e that you will ever need to do. Does suck that it's up front but for 4e its worth it. My group for 4e have been using it and have only run into combat speed issues that are player caused (people that hmm and haww about their action only when it comes to their turn etc).
If you have DDI you can easily put the entire compendium and everything into FG for drag-drop use. If you dont have DDI anymore, but use CBLoader or similar its the same deal.

That's a great idea. Thanks.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:

Blank Construct posted:

Which browser are you using? The online builder works on firefox, but not on chrome for me, strangely.

Yeah, Firefox and IE11 still support Silverlight, but Chrome and Edge do not.

I'll keep trying, hopefully I'll get access soon enough.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I wanted to share the statblock I made for a downscaled, level 18 Tiamat, which I put up against a party of level 13 characters:

quote:

Tiamat Level 18 Solo Brute
Huge immortal magical beast (dragon)
Initiative see quintuple actions
Senses Perception +29; darkvision

Tiamat’s Aura (Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning, Poison) aura 3; any creature that enters the aura or starts its turn within the aura takes [[12]] acid, cold, fire, lightning, and poison damage.

HP 870; Bloodied 435; see also bloodied breath and discorporation
AC 34; Fortitude 34, Reflex 31, Will 32
Resist 10 acid, 10 cold, 10 fire, 10 lightning, 10 poison
Saving Throws +5; whenever an attack applies an effect to Tiamat that a save can end, she immediately rolls a saving throw. Tiamat also makes saving throws at the end of each of her turns as normal.
Speed 10, fly 15 (hover), teleport 5
Action Points 5; each head can use only 1 action point, and Tiamat can spend an action point only once per round.

Claw (standard; at-will) Fire
Reach 3; [[d20+21]] vs. AC; [[4d10+8]] damage.

Tail Sting (standard; encounter) Charm
Reach 4; [[d20+22]] vs. AC; [[4d10+8]] damage, and Tiamat makes a secondary attack against the same target.
Secondary Attack: [[d20+25]] vs. Will; the target is dominated (save ends).

Chromatic Breath (standard; recharge 6) Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning, Poison
Can be used only after each head has acted at least once;
Close burst 30; [[d20+21]] vs. Reflex; [[10d8]] acid, cold, fire, lightning, and poison damage, and the target takes ongoing [[12]] acid, fire, and poison damage and is slowed (save ends both).
Aftereffect: The target is slowed (save ends).

Bloodied Breath (free, when first bloodied; encounter) Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning, Poison
Tiamat’s chromatic breath recharges, and she uses it immediately.

Frightful Majesty (minor; encounter) Fear
Close burst 20; targets enemies; [[d20+21]] vs. Will; the target is stunned until the end of Tiamat’s next turn.
Aftereffect: The target takes a –2 penalty to attack rolls (save ends).

Quintuple Actions
Tiamat does not roll initiative. Her heads have set initiative counts of 35, 30, 25, 20, and 15 (Tiamat chooses the order each round). She cannot delay or ready actions. Each head can activate once per round on its initiative count to take a standard action and a minor action. Tiamat’s ability to take immediate actions refreshes on each head’s activation.

Discorporation
Tiamat will not discorporate in this battle. This is a fight to the death.

Quintuple Brain
Each time Tiamat becomes dazed or stunned, she loses her next head activation instead. Multiple such effects do not stack.

Black Dragon Head Only
Vitriolic Spray (standard; at-will) Acid
Close blast 5; [[d20+21]] vs. Reflex; [[2d8+10]] acid damage, and the target is blinded (save ends).
Miss: Half damage, and the target is not blinded.
Breath Weapon (standard; encounter) Acid
Close blast 5; [[d20+20]] vs. Reflex; [[4d8+12]] acid damage, and the target takes ongoing [[13]] acid damage and a –4 penalty to AC (save ends both).

Blue Dragon Head Only
Gore (standard; at-will) Lightning
Reach 3; [[d20+23]] vs. AC; [[2d8+12]] damage plus [[2d8]] lightning damage, and the target is pushed 3 squares and knocked prone.
Breath Weapon (standard; encounter) Lightning
Tiamat targets up to three creatures with her lightning breath; the first target must be within 20 squares of Tiamat, the second target within 10 squares of the first, and the third target within 10 squares of the second;
[[d20+22]] vs. Reflex; [[4d10+12]] lightning damage, and one of the target’s acid, cold, fire, lightning, or poison resistance is negated (Tiamat’s choice; save ends). This attack does not provoke opportunity attacks.

Green Dragon Head Only
Dominating Gaze (standard; at-will) Charm
Ranged 20; [[d20+21]] vs. Will; the target is dominated (save ends).
Breath Weapon (standard; encounter) Poison
Close blast 5; [[d20+21]] vs. Fortitude; [[3d12+12]] poison damage, and the target takes ongoing [[7]] poison damage and is slowed (save ends both).
Aftereffect: The target is slowed (save ends).

Red Dragon Head Only
Bite (standard; at-will) Fire
Reach 3; [[d20+23]] vs. AC; [[8d8+12]] fire damage, and the target loses [[1d4]] healing surges.
Breath Weapon (standard; encounter) Fire Close blast 5; [[d20+21]] vs. Reflex; [[5d12+12]] fire damage.
Miss: Half damage.

White Dragon Head Only
Bite (standard; at-will) Cold
Reach 3; [[d20+21]] vs. AC; [[6d12+12]] cold damage.
Breath Weapon (standard; encounter) Cold
Close blast 5; [[d20+21]] vs. Reflex; [[9d6+12]] cold damage, and the target takes a –2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of this head’s next turn.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Green head MVP.

MVH.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Yeah, at the very least make that dominate last until the end of the head's next turn, save ends on dominate on an at-will is absurd, hell, any kind of dominated on an at-will is too much, dazed would be more reasonable.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, unless one of your players is built specifically to poo poo out saves as often as possible, do not use the green head as-is. Dazed + slowed has better synergy anyways.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This was heavily adapted from the level 35 Tiamat as the final boss of the Scales of War adventure path - I actually didn't use the Dominating Gaze more than once because I realized that it would've hosed over the players really badly - Epic-level characters would have had ways to mitigate it, I just didn't see it for what it was until game time.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
That's fair.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Hey all.

Im slowly converting my 5e group to 4e, and wanted some help with encounter design. We're level 4, with

Dragonborn druid
Drow cleric
Half elf rogue
Tiefling rogue
Half orc ranger
Human bard
Human paladin

What is my xp budget for a typical encounter? Do all pcs get the budget, or is it divided by players? What are good combos to fight the party?

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Your typical encounter for 7 level 4 PCs is 7 level 4 monsters, which is the beauty of 4e encounter design imho. That translates out to 1,225 xp. I would suggest going with some elites, which count as 2 monsters to drop your workload, or have several monster be the same kind of monster. If you want to have a lot of weaker combatants, definitely go for minions instead of lower xp monsters, minions count as 1/4 of a monster, so while a level 1 monster is 100 xp, a level 1 minion is 25

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

With that many players, you might also want consider doing a single encounter over multiple waves, both for sanity's sake and because seven PCs can blow up pretty much anything if they can all hit it in the same turn.

Wave one could be something like:

Elite soldier (leader)
Brute
Controller
Minion soldier x4

Wave two shows up two or three rounds later and is:

Skirmisher
Minion artillery x4

Wave one lets everyone settle into the battlefield, defender locks down whomever is most dangerous while the PCs discover the joy of focus fire and probably murk something in a single round. Wave two inverts the situation by creating the potential for the minion artillery to return the favor - the leader has to start doing real triage and hopefully the controller has some area clear left.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Going to be running a long term Zeitgeist game online thanks to suggestions from goons in this thread.
Anyone interested in playing? Might have one to two spots.
Friday 6pm ish PST.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Spiteski posted:

Going to be running a long term Zeitgeist game online thanks to suggestions from goons in this thread.
Friday 6pm ish PST.

I would be down depending on the schedule.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Ash Rose posted:

I would be down depending on the schedule.

Like frequency? It will be weekly, starting January.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's the format? PBP? Roll20?

'Cause I'd likely be down for Roll20.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

The Crotch posted:

What's the format? PBP? Roll20?

'Cause I'd likely be down for Roll20.

Fantasy Grounds, it's like Roll20, except better in every way.

edit: just kidding, it's really good especially for 4e, and I have the ulti license so no one needs to buy their own copy.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Spiteski posted:

Friday 6pm ish PST.

I ran a local group through the first two adventures of Zeitgeist. The campaign owns. Good luck.

What is the difference between Fantasy Grounds and Roll20? A buddy of mine recently asked me to run a game (which I'll most likely do Zeitgeist), so I was going to go with Roll20, but I've never really looked into Fantasy Grounds.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Hello my girlfriend (also a goon) and I would be extremely down for an online zeitgeist game and 6 PM PST on Fridays works super well for both of us, and I'm fairly familiar with Fantasy Grounds.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spiteski posted:

Fantasy Grounds, it's like Roll20, except better in every way.

edit: just kidding, it's really good especially for 4e, and I have the ulti license so no one needs to buy their own copy.
Alright then, throw my hat in the ring.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

I ran a local group through the first two adventures of Zeitgeist. The campaign owns. Good luck.

What is the difference between Fantasy Grounds and Roll20? A buddy of mine recently asked me to run a game (which I'll most likely do Zeitgeist), so I was going to go with Roll20, but I've never really looked into Fantasy Grounds.

Fantasy Grounds is a client-based program, not browser based, and has a much nicer combat and effects tracker compared to Roll20. It's a little less to learn (no learning macros like Roll20) but less forgiving to make your own maps, and has the downfall of not being accessible by phone/tablet. In return you get an astoundingly good effect and combat tracker and an interface that removes a lot of the math and remembering that a crunchy game like 4e requires.

As to everyone interested in playing, I've made a thread for people to get some more info, and throw up characters. In doing so though, I realised my time was wrong, and it's 4pm PST, not 6pm, I apologise for the mixup.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Spiteski posted:

Friday 6pm ish PST.

I'm running a group, and we're almost done with loving Adventure 10 and holy shitballs is it a great campaign.

Best I've ever seen.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Mordiceius posted:

Having used both, Fantasy Grounds is markedly superior in tracking what goes on in your game, but you do need to learn your way around the no-tooltip, graphical interface.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

The only big failing of Fantasy Grounds when it comes to 4E is that it has no real concept of the battlemap. You can't have auras automatically apply (unlike ongoing damage & saves which are handled every initiative tick) when they're valid, and the system can't detect when you're flanked, moving through threatened squares, etc. The only thing the battlemap can do is calculate distance once you've laid down a grid, which is nice and better than not having it, but I find it stings. Particularly when you move beyond heroic and auras become a more frequent occurance, along with creatures that threaten two and three squares out.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
So, once we hit the new year one of my gaming buddies is planning on running an Essentials-only game. Now, while I'm not completely new to 4E what I played of it wasn't much and my knowledge is extremely limited and out of date (and I know zero about the essentials books). What pitfalls of the Essentials should I be aware of before I start considering character concepts? I want to play a warlock, for instance, but how good is the Essentials warlock?

I do mean I'm very new to 4e, by the way. I think the role I want to play is striker? (Basically blow stuff up/stab things to death).

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

LucyWanabe posted:

So, once we hit the new year one of my gaming buddies is planning on running an Essentials-only game. Now, while I'm not completely new to 4E what I played of it wasn't much and my knowledge is extremely limited and out of date (and I know zero about the essentials books). What pitfalls of the Essentials should I be aware of before I start considering character concepts? I want to play a warlock, for instance, but how good is the Essentials warlock?

I do mean I'm very new to 4e, by the way. I think the role I want to play is striker? (Basically blow stuff up/stab things to death).

oh god why

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
The only things you have to be really wary of IMO are the Heroes of Shadow junk, if that's included in your GM's definition of Essentials. That was really a low point in 4e design, with the Binder, Vampire, Executioner, and Blackguard all being anywhere from "overcomplicated for what it's trying to do" to "nonfunctional at a basic level".

Otherwise, most anything you pick will have a reasonable baseline functionality through most of Heroic. If you guys get farther, then a lot of the classes will run out of support, and will fall behind the curve (except the Mage, of course).

You'll also want to make sure you pick something that fits with your desired level of mechanical engagement. Hexblade is around the middle of the pack, with no choice of Encounter powers, but access to Dailies.

And if you guys make it out of Heroic, it's a pretty reasonable time to try to lobby your GM for normal AEUD classes if you're bored of what you've got.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Binder and vampire are horrible, and executioner is overcomplicated. Are you saying that blackguard is overcomplicated too? I don't really think it's particularly worse than something like an OG warlock in practice. Then again, OG warlocks aren't exactly wonderfully designed either.

Blackguard not getting a daily til 5 is dumb as hell though.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Dick Burglar posted:

Binder and vampire are horrible, and executioner is overcomplicated. Are you saying that blackguard is overcomplicated too? I don't really think it's particularly worse than something like an OG warlock in practice. Then again, OG warlocks aren't exactly wonderfully designed either.

Blackguard not getting a daily til 5 is dumb as hell though.
Yes. I don't have the builder in front of me, but IIRC there are a bunch of ways to get conditional damage.

It's not like a Warlock where if they're your curse target they get always get xdx+x based on whatever feats, etc you have.

Instead you get +CHA when you have CA, + when you fulfil your vice, etc. I gave one to someone who isn't super mechanically inclined because it's an E-class, and I think they would have been better off with a regular Barbarian.

Granted, they're not awful. I just would honestly put them as more fiddly than a lot of O-classes.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
Bladesinger is also an Essentials class, and should also be relegated to the dustbin of history alongside Binder. Vampire can stay, but only as a hybrid.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

LucyWanabe posted:

Thief is a solid and versatile class, quite capable at both melee and range. Damage is good, and there's at least interesting ways to use your Maneuvers in combat.

Elementalist is the quintessential Blow Stuff Up class, and at low levels especially, it's no slouch at damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Essentials-only means no Warlords though