Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

Friends don't let friends listen to ska.

But two tone isn't suburban honkeys whining about bullshit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

:vince:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

clam ache posted:

But two tone isn't suburban honkeys whining about bullshit?

Generally if the band is on the right side of 1996 (formed before) you're fine.

Obviously there are exceptions to this rule, but for the most part all of the actively touring bands right now are pretty good with the exception of Reel Big Fish.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Anime and Ska are both really good, as opposed to bad.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Don't be hating on pre-90s ska. Madness was awesome.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

CommieGIR posted:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

CommieGIR posted:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
poo poo on the pop-punk angst of 3rd Wave all you want, it deserves almost all of the hate it gets. However, if you don't like The Mighty, Mighty Bosstones, I don't like you.
:colbert:

What's the deal with aftermarket forced induction "backfiring"? A new neighbor moved in with a tastefully modded BMW-Mini that is admittedly awesome, but he has the drat thing constantly popping like a car in an old cartoon and it ruins the nice "stock" appearance that he has going

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBCXX689BHA

The Door Frame posted:

What's the deal with aftermarket forced induction "backfiring"? A new neighbor moved in with a tastefully modded BMW-Mini that is admittedly awesome, but he has the drat thing constantly popping like a car in an old cartoon and it ruins the nice "stock" appearance that he has going
Cargo-cult modding nonsense. Sound like a Real Race Car (tm) without understanding why they sound like that.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

The Door Frame posted:

The JCW ones do it from the factory. I like it, but also I'm damaged.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
It's probably deceleration enrichment or purposeful throttle hang to lower the duration of the transitional lean condition when closing the throttle.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
People will often put a blow off valve on a maf-based car. So that air that has gone past the sensor is vented to atmosphere instead of recirculating and then you will get extra fuel being injected. And actually just going to a free-flowing and less muffled exhaust will do that sometimes. I had no muffler on my old car for awhile (because it rusted out), and it would make fairly loud popping and stuff on decel. And that was a complete stock n/a car with cats.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

DJ Commie posted:

It's probably deceleration enrichment or purposeful throttle hang to lower the duration of the transitional lean condition when closing the throttle.
Maybe you don't get them quite as bad, but the ones I've seen (and very much heard) here take "bit of extra fuelling" to the levels that are on a par with a coal-rolling brotruck. They properly bang like old-school anti-lag, to the point it's ridiculous. Like the old "ignition off at full throttle then back on" trick.

People do it deliberately to be noisy cunts, it's well beyond just a safety-margin enrichment for preservation. My opinion would probably be somewhat more mellow were it actually nice cars rather than shitbox barry'd-up hatchbacks. An Ur-Quattro doing it is good and right. A Corsa doing it is loving tragic.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Geoj posted:

Obviously there are exceptions to this rule, but for the most part all of the actively touring bands right now are pretty good with the exception of Reel Big Fish.

I know Reel Big Fish is terrible, but I used to love them so much that I can't hate on them too much. Hell I still have couple of their albums on my normal work rotation.

The Door Frame posted:

poo poo on the pop-punk angst of 3rd Wave all you want, it deserves almost all of the hate it gets. However, if you don't like The Mighty, Mighty Bosstones, I don't like you.
:colbert:

I love the Bosstones. I saw them when I was a kid playing a weird music festival thing at Snoqualmie Pass. Since everyone was wearing ski/snowboard boots, I decided to stay away from the pit. I just had to look, and they are still touring, and playing a show with Peelander-Z on 12/29 in Boston, which would be an awesome show to see.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Kiss Me Deadly is a masterpiece <:mad:>

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

slurry_curry posted:

I love the Bosstones...I just had to look, and they are still touring, and playing a show with Peelander-Z on 12/29 in Boston, which would be an awesome show to see.

Unfortunately they're down to about 10-15 shows per year now, and are no longer the finely tuned touring machine they were before the hiatus in 2003. To quote Blues Brothers, "a band powerful enough to turn goat piss into gasoline." They really were that good live at the end of the 90s/early 2000s.

That show is one of the three shows for the annual Hometown Throwdown, which I highly recommend if you're able to attend.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ska sucks and Anime is for high school AV club nerds.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Ska sucks.
Ska revival isn't cool you stupid fucks.
The bands are only in it for the bucks.
And if you don't believe me you're a schmuck.
The trend will die out with any luck.

The Bosstones are rad as hell. I used to go to at least one punk/ska show a week in the 90's and it was great fun.
Content: my truck is on the right and I came out to this Nissan Rogue kissing my bumper.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You're over the line so you get no sympathy bro.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Content: my truck is on the right and I came out to this Nissan Rogue kissing my bumper.

Learn how to park.

e: unless you're pointing out that your parking is terrible car stuff.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Over the line, stop on a dime. No ragrets.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

So it's ok to use the "stop moving when you hear a crunch" parking technique now. Got it. If I had been not over the line you guys would post a pic complaining that my truck was sticking out a foot into the driving lane of the parking garage. Can't win.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 8, 2016

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Geoj posted:

RBF put on a great show back when I was in middle school, being in socal I saw them quite often. Did it again recently and holy gently caress are they old, and Scott is no longer with them, the new guy sucks at singing :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

So it's ok to use the "stop moving when you hear a crunch" parking technique now. Got it. If I had been not over the line you guys would post a pic complaining that my truck was sticking out a foot into the driving lane of the parking garage. Can't win.

No, if you were IN your parking space we'd be on your side.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You'd win if you bought a smaller vehicle.

I'm not sure what the current goon approved hatchbacks are though, might want to pull that up before making decisions.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

You're over the line so you get no sympathy bro.

mustard_tiger posted:

Learn how to park.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Over the line, stop on a dime. No ragrets.

Jesus Christ, guys.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I'd get it if you took a ding on a door, but I just don't get caring about bumper stuff. It's gonna happen. Maybe I'm just fully acclimated to parking in DC where playing bumpercar front and back to fit into a spot it took 2 hours to find is SOP and you either A) install a bumper buddy thing, B) dgaf.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

glynnenstein posted:

I'd get it if you took a ding on a door, but I just don't get caring about bumper stuff. It's gonna happen. Maybe I'm just fully acclimated to parking in DC where playing bumpercar front and back to fit into a spot it took 2 hours to find is SOP and you either A) install a bumper buddy thing, B) dgaf.

I don't care that they touched the bumper on my 14 year old 215k mile truck except that it's the same type of person who just doesn't pay attention to any of the other aspects of driving or parking. Say what you want about me being over the line by three inches, I accept that, but at least I was actually thinking about other drivers and pedestrians in the garage.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
They just used all the space you left them. If they were there first, whatever. But you were first, and they were also just trying to not stick their rear end out. Maybe.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The JCW ones do it from the factory. I like it, but also I'm damaged.

I love a good burble and pop but I loving hated the new JCW I drove. The burbles and pops sounded so mechanical and it was really boring to drive. A fiesta st is a ton better of a car.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

They just used all the space you left them. If they were there first, whatever. But you were first, and they were also just trying to not stick their rear end out. Maybe.

Fair point. Let's all kiss and make up. Accept this pic of a Prius in my yard after it took itself out hitting an Amish hay wagon by way of an apology.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

RBF put on a great show back when I was in middle school, being in socal I saw them quite often. Did it again recently and holy gently caress are they old, and Scott is no longer with them, the new guy sucks at singing :(

Are they still doing the "we're trying to be a top 40 band but still have horns so we can play the old stuff" thing?

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I don't care that they touched the bumper on my 14 year old 215k mile truck except that it's the same type of person who just doesn't pay attention to any of the other aspects of driving or parking. Say what you want about me being over the line by three inches, I accept that, but at least I was actually thinking about other drivers and pedestrians in the garage.

And if they didn't pull up to your bumper, you'd post a picture of them sticking out in the driving lane and complain about that.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Smashed prius always good. They're too reliable and require extra curricular culling.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

Anime and Ska are both really good, as opposed to bad.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Geoj posted:

Are they still doing the "we're trying to be a top 40 band but still have horns so we can play the old stuff" thing?

They played a lot of old stuff which didn't really work without the second trumpet, it was disappointing.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Was it in here that I posted that ska is bad, or is this thread also succumbing to virulent ska chat???

e: it wasnt, how is ska going around the forums? its very bad

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

I actually enjoyed the first ~90 seconds of this song.

It's me. I'm the terrible car stuff. :smith:

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

InitialDave posted:

Maybe you don't get them quite as bad, but the ones I've seen (and very much heard) here take "bit of extra fuelling" to the levels that are on a par with a coal-rolling brotruck. They properly bang like old-school anti-lag, to the point it's ridiculous. Like the old "ignition off at full throttle then back on" trick.

People do it deliberately to be noisy cunts, it's well beyond just a safety-margin enrichment for preservation. My opinion would probably be somewhat more mellow were it actually nice cars rather than shitbox barry'd-up hatchbacks. An Ur-Quattro doing it is good and right. A Corsa doing it is loving tragic.

"Yeah, but see right innit is braaaap braaapin' on a racetrack like where the turbo right never spins down makes cars way faster man, innit, while my Corsa's right fast'n all that 'cause my sick anti-lag like bruv just fuckin' bapbapbapbap an' like keeps the turbo and poo poo all spun up an' ready to like take off full race car innit bruv, even from the lights".

The tragedy is that the owners typically reproduce before meeting their natural predator: the roadside telegraph pole, sideways on a rainy night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

IPCRESS posted:

The tragedy is that the owners typically reproduce before meeting their natural predator: the roadside telegraph pole, sideways on a rainy night.

That's because they seem to reproduce at 13, then get into someone else's cars without permission at about 14.

This comment sourced from the daily mail.