Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
What is with Optimus and faces?

General Battuta posted:

Man those stills are all really loving well composed.

I'm digging the shot of Megatron (?) in the dust storm.

I'm not up on most of the Unicron mythos but, if I remember the G1 movie right, he doesn't so much brainwash or corrupt as he makes you an offer. Megatron could have said no, but he didn't. It looks like Prime could have said no, but doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Deacon
Nov 17, 2016

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/S4TEWebmaster/status/806226609841860608

:stare:

Milky Moor posted:

I'm curious as to why they ditched the Galvatron title from AoE along with that look.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I hope they ditch the stupid voxel transformations, these movies need the incomprehensible visual gibberish of the chunky mechanical transformations. Robots need to look like they're torturing themselves as they turn into car sponsorships

e: like the problem with the voxel transformation is that you understand what's happening, whereas the classic garbage pile loving itself is suggestive of some inner logic but impossible to really grasp. I hope there's a ton of cosmic horror in this movie, all my favorite parts of these weird-rear end idiot films involve ancient starships full of dead machines

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I can only assume the voxel transformations were to help sell how the human-built Transformers were just so much more advanced than Prime and co. They're not cars that can turn into robots sort of haphazardly (or vice versa), they're things that can be a car or be a humanoid robot.

They were boring as hell to actually watch, though. One of the best parts of the franchise is the sheer kinetic energy and weight behind each transformation, like how they just rip up highways in the process, and how the transformation differs based on direction, speed and movement.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

banned from Starbucks posted:

How is it possible these movies keep getting worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDIgS-Soo9Q&t=7s

Milky Moor posted:

They were boring as hell to actually watch, though. One of the best parts of the franchise is the sheer kinetic energy and weight behind each transformation, like how they just rip up highways in the process, and how the transformation differs based on direction, speed and movement.

:agreed:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

General Battuta posted:

I hope they ditch the stupid voxel transformations, these movies need the incomprehensible visual gibberish of the chunky mechanical transformations. Robots need to look like they're torturing themselves as they turn into car sponsorships

e: like the problem with the voxel transformation is that you understand what's happening, whereas the classic garbage pile loving itself is suggestive of some inner logic but impossible to really grasp. I hope there's a ton of cosmic horror in this movie, all my favorite parts of these weird-rear end idiot films involve ancient starships full of dead machines

This series has basically been HP Lovecraft's Maximum Overdrive. Down to a rock band influencing large parts of the music.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

YggiDee posted:

I can't tell if I enjoy these movies or if I just enjoy the weird alternate narrative this thread conceived around them.

For me it's definitely the second one and I don't care if it's "true" or not I loving love it. :allears:

Edit: That shot of Optimus floating in space reminds me of the opening narration to Zeta Gundam, where a dead soldier floated all the way to jupiter after the previous war and the narrator tells us his "souls is definitely not at peace". God I wish I could find that on youtube.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Milky Moor posted:

What is with Optimus and faces?

I'm not up on most of the Unicron mythos but, if I remember the G1 movie right, he doesn't so much brainwash or corrupt as he makes you an offer. Megatron could have said no, but he didn't. It looks like Prime could have said no, but doesn't.

It's an offer followed by forced servitude.

Unicron restored Megatron in the G1 movie, and free will wasn't an issue because they both wanted to murder robots and humans.

In the following G1 season, Galvatron had been defeated and Unicron reduced to a talking head. Galvatron wanted revenge on everyone, including Unicron, but suffered terrible pain any time he opposed Unicron.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Donnerberg posted:

Unicron restored Megatron in the G1 movie, and free will wasn't an issue because they both wanted to murder robots and humans.

Free will wasn't an issue because Megatron's other option was to die in the oblivion of space/Unicron's belly.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The series converted to full-on satire when they hired Skrillex to make robot sounds. It's like something from a sketch show.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Donnerberg posted:

It's an offer followed by forced servitude.

In the following G1 season, Galvatron had been defeated and Unicron reduced to a talking head. Galvatron wanted revenge on everyone, including Unicron, but suffered terrible pain any time he opposed Unicron.

That also happened in the G1 movie. Galvatron disagreed with Unicron about something and started buckling in pain until he changed his mind and agreed to do whatever it was Unicron wanted to do.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

For me it's definitely the second one and I don't care if it's "true" or not I loving love it. :allears:

The core idea of it is obvious enough in the film that everyone picks up on it, like the guy I quoted earlier: "turned them all into slightly more personable Alien Other". For whatever reason, we are five films into this increasing bizarre take on the Transformers mythos and the attitude of a lot of people is that Bay is an idiot who somehow stumbled into everything he's done and the familiar criticisms all have this memetic quality to them.

There's no denying that Bay is a very unique director. When you compare him to the Marvel movies, I think it's pretty clear that Bay nails cinematic spectacle better than the directors they attach. The thing that really interests me about him is that while he is the king of spectacle, you really need to pay attention to the films. The films reward focused viewing. The films are also unashamedly a result of Bay's mind, for better or worse, which makes them all the more compelling. I'm sure most people in this thread have seen the video about Bay that points out the parallels between his work and Bay's favorite film which is, and I'm not kidding here, West Side Story. They've also probably read the interview where he claims to love juxtaposing the real and the unreal, which is probably the best way of describing jumping from a walking helicopter blowing up an airbase to Shia's high school antics.

I have nothing against Marvel, but I absolutely prefer the sheer balls-to-the-wall energy of the Transformers films. The plots are as bizarre as they are exciting, an excuse for wicked imagery and cool sequences, and characters just die en-masse with the world changing irrevocably in every film. Compare that to Marvel's cinematic universe where, outside of on-the-nose call backs, the world feels slow and stagnant and you know that, even if Tony Stark and Captain American come to blows, things will be okay by the time they take on Thanos (whom you know is coming up, because every Marvel film feels like an exercise in what's coming next - what's the next after-credits, what's the next movie, etc.) Meanwhile, Transformers 3 flat out annihilates the Decepticon cast with TF4 then doing a number on the Autobots. And I don't think anyone expected Lockdown in the guise of the Angel of Death as the main antagonist in TF4.

It's not exactly a reading designed to pick up on things that aren't there, or things that are ambiguous or inferring meaning from obscure word choice. Even in the very first film, it's clear that Optimus was not telling the truth about the All Spark and, as the films have gone on, Optimus has maintained his position as an incredibly unreliable figure who broods, sulks and lashes out when things don't go his way. Beyond some pithy words about victory requiring sacrifice, I don't think we ever see Optimus do anything truly heroic (excepting, maybe, defending Sam in TF2 during the forest battle). And, consistently, all Megatron wants is the survival of his planet and his people (most astoundingly pointed out by the Decepticons lamenting the imminent death of their children in TF2). Speaking of, our first image of Megatron in TF3 is him feeding robot babies. The films spend a fair bit of time on that sort of thing.

And TF3 is the same film where Ironhide kicks a car (one that is explicitly full of cowering people) into a storefront, one which promptly explodes. It's the film where Optimus flat-out states that he deceived everyone on Earth in order to ensure his continued necessity. This isn't subtext, this is text.

I understand why a lot of TF fans have a visceral reaction to the films, but I also think the films are better about the core concept than most forms of TF media. Is there anything really compelling about the noble, selfless Autobots defending Earth from the perfidious Decepticons who want to [kill/enslave/destroy] the people of Earth for increasingly nebulous reasons? I think it's neat that the films find reasons to ensure that the fight stays on Earth. At the same time, though, the film needs a reason as to why Optimus doesn't take the fight off Earth. I think the films really sell the idea of an intergalactic robot civil war to-the-death grudge match really well, but that's also a pretty terrifying concept. I like how the films keep it all somewhat grounded and treats it seriously.

I'm really just rambling on a few topics here. But, something else I've considered is the constant criticism that it's a bad idea for the Transformers to be vulnerable to modern-day technology. Wouldn't it be worse if humans couldn't touch the Autobots or the Decepticons, meaning that humanity existed only at the sufferance of Optimus Prime? It'd basically establish both sides of the war as de facto tyrants, walking a planet like giants where the natives have to stay out from underfoot. I don't think that'd be a very good movie, either, nor would it reflect well on Optimus. It's almost as if the character works fine in a cartoon made to sell toys but collapses when brought into a more serious setting. It's like how, increasingly, Megatron is depicted as an idealistic but violent revolutionary who wanted to overthrow Cybertron's corrupt elite and their brutal caste system and Optimus is the guy who, despite his talk of freedom, is basically the boot stomping him down. It's not as if the Bay films are the only ones maybe pointing out the tension in the setting.

But, hey, what do I know? I'm just a TF fan who could never get into the Cybertron-centric canon.

Oh, and Steve Jablonsky's score is always solid.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Milky Moor posted:

I have nothing against Marvel, but I absolutely prefer the sheer balls-to-the-wall energy of the Transformers films. The plots are as bizarre as they are exciting, an excuse for wicked imagery and cool sequences, and characters just die en-masse with the world changing irrevocably in every film. Compare that to Marvel's cinematic universe where, outside of on-the-nose call backs, the world feels slow and stagnant and you know that, even if Tony Stark and Captain American come to blows, things will be okay by the time they take on Thanos (whom you know is coming up, because every Marvel film feels like an exercise in what's coming next - what's the next after-credits, what's the next movie, etc.)
That's probably what's got me most excited for this movie, though I'm unsure of how far they'll go with it.

Milky Moor posted:

It's like how, increasingly, Megatron is depicted as an idealistic but violent revolutionary who wanted to overthrow Cybertron's corrupt elite and their brutal caste system and Optimus is the guy who, despite his talk of freedom, is basically the boot stomping him down. It's not as if the Bay films are the only ones maybe pointing out the tension in the setting.
Optimus described pre-civil Cybertronian civilization to Sam and Mikela as a "peaceful empire" which is a really curious phrase to use when advocating freedom for all. Didn't he yammer something at some point about self-determination before blowing up an "illegal middle east nuclear site (probably in Carbombya)" in a later film?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I swear these movies are just loving with people sometimes, in this obligatory oft-repeated hero shot Optimus grabs Marky Mark's daughter and, instead of shielding her, drives her headfirst through a truck. I can't imagine Bay or anyone else saying 'yeah just do something obviously fatal but have her live cause lol', but on the other hand, with all the person-hours that go into CGI you've got to imagine this was sort of on purpose.

e: lol he grabs her, has her kind of 'safe' by Transformers standards, passes her off to his other hand, and extends and turns the arm to make her impact head-first. Optimus is playing with his toys :bandwagon:

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 8, 2016

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ash1138 posted:

That's probably what's got me most excited for this movie, though I'm unsure of how far they'll go with it.
Optimus described pre-civil Cybertronian civilization to Sam and Mikela as a "peaceful empire" which is a really curious phrase to use when advocating freedom for all. Didn't he yammer something at some point about self-determination before blowing up an "illegal middle east nuclear site (probably in Carbombya)" in a later film?

Yeah. gently caress, 'peaceful empire' is up there as one of those fantastically paradoxical concepts.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

General Battuta posted:

I swear these movies are just loving with people sometimes, in this obligatory oft-repeated hero shot Optimus grabs Marky Mark's daughter and, instead of shielding her, drives her headfirst through a truck. I can't imagine Bay or anyone else saying 'yeah just do something obviously fatal but have her live cause lol', but on the other hand, with all the person-hours that go into CGI you've got to imagine this was sort of on purpose.

e: lol he grabs her, has her kind of 'safe' by Transformers standards, passes her off to his other hand, and extends and turns the arm to make her impact head-first. Optimus is playing with his toys :bandwagon:

That scene also features bumblebee blasting all his weaponry straight into the scene of a pile up that occured about 5 seconds earlier, and is undoubtedly full of very confused, soon to be pulped civilians.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Ash1138 posted:

Yeah, I think Prime is monologuing something about how the Autobots will keep humans from bringing harm to themselves.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

In Transformers, the Fermi Paradox is solved by unending shapeshifting robot civil war bouncing from planet to planet. That's your great filter.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

How many 'final hopes for cybertron civilization' have they destroyed by now.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Where can I find the kicking a car full of people scene? I don't have access to the movie but I'm sure there is a gif or something.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

UmOk posted:

Where can I find the kicking a car full of people scene? I don't have access to the movie but I'm sure there is a gif or something.

I've got you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZJgZw4KsR4

It's the red convertible at 0:46. There are two people definitely in there, cowering from the imminent fight (below the level of the doors, it looks like). The fight soon kicks off and we don't get a good shot of the inside of the car again and don't see anyone running out of it. Ironhide slams one of the Decepticons down on the car and then kicks it into a building, blowing everything up in the process.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

the best part is that it looks like the glass bus shelter explodes.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Milky Moor posted:

I've got you.

It's the red convertible at 0:46. There are two people definitely in there, cowering from the imminent fight (below the level of the doors, it looks like). The fight soon kicks off and we don't get a good shot of the inside of the car again and don't see anyone running out of it. Ironhide slams one of the Decepticons down on the car and then kicks it into a building, blowing everything up in the process.

Actually, at 32 seconds you can see it's a guy in a blue shirt and somebody else in a darker shirt. Then the shot changes to looking up at the robots tumbling through the air. Then at 42 seconds, we see a guy in a blue shirt running one way, and a guy in a darker shirt running the other way away from the car. They don't show them actually getting out of the car though.

Edit: poo poo, nevermind, I'm wrong. At 48 seconds you see somebody in there again. I was so focused on the guys running away from the car that I missed the ones still in it.

Edit 2: I think the car is just handled unclearly in the scene and the people are meant to be gone at that point. At 1:00 and at 1:12, the car is still undamaged. We don't actually see anybody touch it. Sideswipe comes close at 1:12 but is moving the other way. The next clear shot is 1:22 and the trunk is up like it's been hit, but the windshield is fine. Then at 1:27 the top of the windshield is smashed down a bit. We never see this damage occur, and the point where Ironhide dumps the Decepticon onto the car is cut in immediately after we see the undamaged windshield.

Murphys Law fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 8, 2016

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Murphys Law posted:

Actually, at 32 seconds you can see it's a guy in a blue shirt and somebody else in a darker shirt. Then the shot changes to looking up at the robots tumbling through the air. Then at 42 seconds, we see a guy in a blue shirt running one way, and a guy in a darker shirt running the other way away from the car. They don't show them actually getting out of the car though.

Edit: poo poo, nevermind, I'm wrong. At 48 seconds you see somebody in there again. I was so focused on the guys running away from the car that I missed the ones still in it.

Edit 2: I think the car is just handled unclearly in the scene and the people are meant to be gone at that point. At 1:00 and at 1:12, the car is still undamaged. We don't actually see anybody touch it. Sideswipe comes close at 1:12 but is moving the other way. The next clear shot is 1:22 and the trunk is up like it's been hit, but the windshield is fine. Then at 1:27 the top of the windshield is smashed down a bit. We never see this damage occur, and the point where Ironhide dumps the Decepticon onto the car is cut in immediately after we see the undamaged windshield.

It's definitely not the last time the series is unclear about things in an action scene. For example, the unknown guy who shows up in the fight between Lockdown and Prime just to get blown up, and yet was in no shots prior or following.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
They're just casualties of bad editing.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Milky Moor posted:

I've got you.

Christ, I forgot how bad that movie loving was. What a goddamn mess.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Don't forget the consecutive shots of Apollo 11 with and without the Lunar Module. These are VFX shots! They were specifically made that way! Michael Bay approved them, probably over a chorus of ILM nerds from the Historical Sticklers' Society going "No, actually..."

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Payndz posted:

Don't forget the consecutive shots of Apollo 11 with and without the Lunar Module. These are VFX shots! They were specifically made that way! Michael Bay approved them, probably over a chorus of ILM nerds from the Historical Sticklers' Society going "No, actually..."

Wasn't this people not differentiating between the various stages of launch properly and just kind of assuming Bay got it wrong?

Yes, it was.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Murphys Law posted:

Just like Barricade who vanished from the first film without any sort of fanfare (although, apparently, in the novel he is killed after Optimus takes out Bonecrusher), stayed gone during the second film, showed up to be killed during the third, but is apparently back in the fifth.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I can't remember where it was said, but I think one of the producers said that Grimlock will be like a big dog in this movie. He also mentioned the Mini Dinobots being literal babies still learning to spit fire and such. I feel like if you read between the lines, Grimlock had babies between movies. Life finds a way and all that.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Murphys Law posted:

I don't think so. I think it is intentionally left ambiguous.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
yeah, consistently editing in such a way that we just kind of gloss over the casualties of hi-tech destruction feels like the exact sort of satirical statement Bay would make.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah, the glossed over deaths is perfectly harmonised with the fights in the 'totally abandoned city'.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

well why not posted:

Yeah, the glossed over deaths is perfectly harmonised with the fights in the 'totally abandoned city'.

"The city has been evacuated"
Except American Sniper was only partially fictionalised.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Milky Moor posted:

Just like Barricade who vanished from the first film without any sort of fanfare (although, apparently, in the novel he is killed after Optimus takes out Bonecrusher), stayed gone during the second film, showed up to be killed during the third, but is apparently back in the fifth.
It's not like this kind of thing is in discordance with the original material

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Plot details from various articles (possible spoilers, obviously):

-Opening scene will explain TF mythology.

-Megatron & Optimus backstory, Quintessions and Primes will be explored.

-Optimus will question his leadership and there will be a new prime.

-Cade is on the run and is hiding the Autobots from TRF in the junkyard in South Dakota.

– Isabela lost her family in Chicago and is with Sqweeks since then.

-Sqweeks is broken, can’t transform, and can only say ‘chihuahua’.

-Tessa is in hiding and will be explained in the film.

-TRF is led by Santos (Santiago Cabrera).

-Laura Haddock plays Vivian Wembley and her family is tied with the macguffin of the movie.

-Hot Rod has a French accent and he has two vehicle modes; lambo and citroen ds (Vivian’s car)

-Anthony Hopkins plays Sir Edmound Burton.

-There’ll be a new villain, a different form of a decepticon.

-There will be a submarine TF.

-Grimlock will be in the beginning of the movie, he’ll have a larger role but not much.

-Mini t-rexes who just started to breathe fire.

-There will be hints to other spinoff movies.

-There won’t be any female transformers in the film.

-Cogman is a headmaster.

-Decepticon bike and VW van are called ‘Mohawk’ and ‘Hooligan’.

-An Autobot was going to get killed by military by accident.

-Bumblebee movie script doesn’t have a lot of other TFs, but it may change.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 9, 2016

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Snowman_McK posted:

Wasn't this people not differentiating between the various stages of launch properly and just kind of assuming Bay got it wrong?

Yes, it was.
No, it wasn't. The LM is absent from the Command/Service Module stack on the way to the moon and then appears in the next shot.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Plot details from various articles (possible spoilers, obviously):

-Opening scene will explain TF mythology.

-Megatron & Optimus backstory, Quintessions and Primes will be explored.

I have no doubt that this will contradict the other attempts at detailing the Cybertronian backstory.

quote:

-There won’t be any female transformers in the film.

This continues to surprise me, given how you'd assume there'd be some attempt to work one into it, just for the positive media attention. TF2 seems more and more like an aberration.

The TRF is interesting given that Earth still seems set on getting rid of the Transformers. Nice to see that continuing.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Payndz posted:

No, it wasn't. The LM is absent from the Command/Service Module stack on the way to the moon and then appears in the next shot.

Actually, it was the final launch stage in the first shot, and the landing stage in the second. Apollo changed configuration in the later stages of the journey. The landing module was well inside, protected, for the launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
"Spine, spine, spine..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLRsu4mJmyU