Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Dalael posted:

I'm actually a 80's kid. I just don't consider myself part of the 80's generation because I'm just as bitter and angry as Lewis Black.

Likewise. I'm from the Midwest and received several participation ribbons and trophies because they were a thing that happened. Never thought of them as anything other than a reminder of some thing I took part in. Never had any friends who bragged about them to me.

The fact that they make you angry makes it mildly worth it that they exist. You probably unironically post minion memes on facebook between misty eyed reflections on how cartoons based on Mattel toys are "real" entertainment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

SimonCat posted:

The point is the Army hands out awards like candy and has gotten worse as it has gone along.

It does serve a purpose, though. People who know what the ribbons mean can look at them and get a pretty good picture of someone's career. At the very least, someone who has some of the less common ones can see who else has been to the same places.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I present to goons, a comedy in two parts:

Talk poo poo: http://www.latimes.com/home/la-hm-erskine-20151010-column.html

Get hit: http://www.latimes.com/home/la-hm-erskine-millennial-pledge-backlash-20151012-htmlstory.html

Real talk, who the hell uses the word "smut" nowadays?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

coyo7e posted:

see: A+ certifications aging out - but only after a certain year so the oldsters got grandfathered in below the line! So all those folks who took their CompTia A+ certs in the mid 90s or early 2000s can roll that poo poo on their resume for the next several decades - despite the fact that knowing that kind of pins hook up to a 3 1/2" floppy drive being completely irrelevant in almost everything anyone will ever realistically run into - and if they do, well, that's what google's loving for! :(

We hired a guy like that once. He was in his late 50s and supposedly an IT pro who was going to completely replace our CRM database. His resume did come pretty packed with over a decade of experience, so he was seemingly a simple hire. He had a lot of problems with being a scheming, conniving bastard trying to work his way up the ladder like an 80s movie villain, but one thing everyone noticed after a while is that he didn't really seem to know basic stuff about technology. Like when a set of qualification cards didn't get mailed out, the girl said she'd just send the copies as a PDF in advance of the late mailing....and he asked how the recipients would be able to know what they were sent. He didn't comprehend how PDFs work. When we got a younger tech savvy guy in who wanted to help him with the new CRM, he got pushed away. The older guy even went so far as to actively sabotage his attempts to help or try to convince the owners to put him on other projects, insisting that the younger guy "didn't know enough about coding to be of any help." All while the database never got finished and the proctoring site he created was filled with bugs and barely functional.

After he quit, the younger guy took a look at his work and discovered that he had been using a software wizard the entire time. He couldn't fix any of the coding errors in the website because he never actually touched the raw code himself and barely understood how anything fit together. His attempts to keep anyone from helping him were all supposed to keep us from discovering that he had been bullshitting the whole time. To this day, the code is such a mess that we still haven't fully fixed it and there are bizarre things like menus putting recently added options in a seemingly random order.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

SSNeoman posted:

Get hit: http://www.latimes.com/home/la-hm-erskine-millennial-pledge-backlash-20151012-htmlstory.html

In the second article, I lost it at the "millennials always sleep in late" thing. Bitch, I'm 26 and I have to get up at 3:45 am 5 days a week.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I sleep in late because my job has incredibly flexible hours. I still work like 50-60 hours a week because NYC is expensive as gently caress

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

jivjov posted:

In the second article, I lost it at the "millennials always sleep in late" thing. Bitch, I'm 26 and I have to get up at 3:45 am 5 days a week.

That got me too because I am the same age and leave the house at 5am (getting g up at 430) to work the first of two jobs then go from that job to my other one till 10 pm. Pretty sure I am slowly dying doing that 5 times a week.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

LunarShadow posted:

Pretty sure I am slowly dying

Aren't we all though...

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

That isn't disagreeing.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

That isn't disagreeing.

I believe the meme is saying "veterans know who the bad guys are and won't hesitate to take action against 'the real enemy' at home, and that's why the evil government is trying to take their rights." So I recall a time when a different veteran decided to take action against "enemies" at home. Remember, when some government agencies (was it FBI?) rightly pointed out that veterans get recruited to right-wing domestic terrorist organizations, conservatives freaked the gently caress out because it was supposedly persecuting all conservatives in the United States.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
The sad part is that extremists are targeting returning veterans and trying to bring radicalize them.
The really sad part is the government is turning a blind eye because veterans groups freak out when the government tries to step in and protect them.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The sad part is that extremists are targeting returning veterans and trying to bring radicalize them.
The really sad part is the government is turning a blind eye because veterans groups freak out when the government tries to step in and protect them.

Is it veterans' groups who do that? I can't recall any serious ones doing so; I thought it was just the Right Wing Media and chickenhawks who "support our troops" but have never been to war.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Jurgan posted:

Is it veterans' groups who do that? I can't recall any serious ones doing so; I thought it was just the Right Wing Media and chickenhawks who "support our troops" but have never been to war.

The American Legion specifically freaked out at Napolitano

https://www.legion.org/security/816/napolitano-apologizes-veterans

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

chitoryu12 posted:

After he quit, the younger guy took a look at his work and discovered that he had been using a software wizard the entire time. He couldn't fix any of the coding errors in the website because he never actually touched the raw code himself and barely understood how anything fit together. His attempts to keep anyone from helping him were all supposed to keep us from discovering that he had been bullshitting the whole time. To this day, the code is such a mess that we still haven't fully fixed it and there are bizarre things like menus putting recently added options in a seemingly random order.
Just wanna step in here to reinforce that I bumped into this as well and ironically it's just a continuation of https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code|||

Super commonplace even if not literal. I had the hot-poo poo-net-ops-hipster who refused to cut a clean cat-5e cable because he was too cool... He always refused to let anybody else know about his *nix server system complexities, and then left with zero-day warning, for a better job without leaving any documentation behind.. Except you know.. *most of* his passwords.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The sad part is that you cannot even form a coherent english sentence, and then you claim that veterans are becoming terrorists.

Eat poo poo and die

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
^^ Woah man, Dr. A is cool and I don't think he's saying what you think he is, typo aside. We all have left words in when making an edit and not proof-reading well enough enough.

RE: Awards/Trophies

I don't know what to take away from it, because it seems both good and not so good.

My station has won an award twice in the last 12 months. Everyone was super-psyched about it.

I looked it up: It's the award for "most improved" station. That's cool, but we were never told and thought it meant we were the "best station" for those two quarters. It meant that out of all stations we improved our metrics the most. We could still be terrible (we aren't, by comparison) but it's created a mood that's not exactly congruent with the celebration it caused.

The fact that we didn't know the difference has created a lot of very pleased people who don't understand what they are pleased about. It's a little weird.

VV It happens. I knew what you meant. VV

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 8, 2016

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

coyo7e posted:

The sad part is that you cannot even form a coherent english sentence, and then you claim that veterans are becoming terrorists.

Eat poo poo and die

Don't know where the word 'bring' came from in there.

Veterans returning from active duty who can't find jobs, dealing with medical issues and psychological trauma, getting insufficient care from the VA are vulnerable.
There are bad people who are targeting these veterans, telling them that the real villain is the government, and radicalizing them.

I don't think this has resulted in actual terrorism, but it's not the kind of thing we should ignore.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It's OK.

It's not like veterans being unable to psychologically demilitarize has ever resulted in bad things before.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Mr. Belding posted:

Likewise. I'm from the Midwest and received several participation ribbons and trophies because they were a thing that happened. Never thought of them as anything other than a reminder of some thing I took part in. Never had any friends who bragged about them to me.

The fact that they make you angry makes it mildly worth it that they exist. You probably unironically post minion memes on facebook between misty eyed reflections on how cartoons based on Mattel toys are "real" entertainment.

Its kinda ridiculous that you think ribbons make me angry. I was simply stating my opinion. Bitterness is just part of my posting style.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Dalael posted:

Its kinda ridiculous that you think ribbons make me angry. I was simply stating my opinion. Bitterness is just part of my posting style.

Your style sucks.

Anyway, Social Fixer is working again! Let's celebrate by talking about how the EPA is full of rat-fink commies! Tonight I'm playing the role of Lynn Guini.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 8, 2016

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Jurgan posted:

Your style sucks.

Anyway, Social Fixer is working again! Let's celebrate by talking about how the EPA is full of rat-fink commies! Tonight I'm playing the role of Lynn Guini.

Someone desperately needs to take his thesaurus privileges away.

RE: the participation trophy derail, good grief. Participation trophies and the rest of the self esteem boogeymen that people like to cook up do not lead to adult entitlement. If an adult feels like he's owed kudos for showing up to work, he's got deeper seated issues than someone giving him a ribbon and a pat on the back as a child (in fact, it's far more likely he didn't get anything like that).

Speaking from experience, most kids don't really care one way or another about getting a 'you tried' ribbon. Those that do are usually just happy they got something. Some kids? Some kids need more encouragement, and they're often the kids that aren't going to be getting any other kind of reward, either because they do alright but don't particularly excel, or don't excel in the kinds of areas that get accolades like that (mostly, sports). Some kids have such low self worth that you can pour every scrap of praise and encouragement into them possible and it isn't enough (my brother was this way).

Most of the people I see who really get worked up about the evils of ~participation trophies~ end up being the same shitheads who also think bullying builds character.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Jurgan posted:

Any time I hear some group of people bellyaching that there's poison in their air and water or that some company is destroying the wildlife in their area, I just roll my eyes. Nice try, commie. Why don't ya try that trick on somebody who doesn't have their own doomsday shelter.

Pruitt is from my state and I deeply apologize we have not convinced him that nitric acid is a health tonic or at least that plentiful smoking aids virility.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I got a T-shirt for our teambuilding day at work even though I didn't win the sports.

Civilization is doomed.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
I got a paycheck from work yesterday, even though other employees did a better job than me.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Dalael posted:

Hahaha. Everything sucks and everyone is stupid.

My schtick is working, right? I'm cool, right?

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Jurgan posted:

Your style sucks.

This is why I have given up on Facebook. People start with insane far reaching false assumptions about a thing. I try to get them to consider literally any other possibility or present an ounce of truth that is not a wordpress page or something. They just cannot. There is just no way to talk to someone like that.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

No, white conservatives and white veterans freak out when the government tries to help them. It's why the FBI has to basically keep tight lipped about the whole "The KKK has been openly recruiting police officers for 25 years now and the man who killed Alton Sterling literally has a swastika on his arm".

It boils down to right wingers not wanting to be called out on their bullshit, which at the end of the day, their message of "freedom" is literally built on subjugation of others.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Welp, boyfriend's mom is postin that one anti-food-stamp "don't feed the animals or they won't feed themselves" meme.

Her other son literally relied on food stamps the last few years to feed his family while he was living with his mom.

How is conservative messaging this successful among the people conservatives want to gently caress over I cannot understand it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

VitalSigns posted:

Welp, boyfriend's mom is postin that one anti-food-stamp "don't feed the animals or they won't feed themselves" meme.

Her other son literally relied on food stamps the last few years to feed his family while he was living with his mom.

How is conservative messaging this successful among the people conservatives want to gently caress over I cannot understand it.

Well when my child did it he really needed the help not like those moochers.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Remember that guy who was Fox and shouting 'I've been on foodstamps and welfare, and did anyone help me out? NO!'. People are just incredibly dumb.

Someone post that chuck asay edit about feeding animals.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SSNeoman posted:

I wish I got paid for my online temper tantrums too.
Does that make me entitled?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Also; what's up with the cognitive dissonance on the source of food stamp money? When people are employed, their taxes fund poo poo like food stamps; when they fall on hard times, they cash out what they've been paying in. It isn't money from nowhere, it isn't a free handout. It's literally something you pay into in case you need it later.

Related: I've seen the same person, on consecutive days, share a "don't touch our social security, we earned that" and "kick all the bums off food stamps" meme.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

jivjov posted:

Also; what's up with the cognitive dissonance on the source of food stamp money? When people are employed, their taxes fund poo poo like food stamps; when they fall on hard times, they cash out what they've been paying in. It isn't money from nowhere, it isn't a free handout. It's literally something you pay into in case you need it later.

Related: I've seen the same person, on consecutive days, share a "don't touch our social security, we earned that" and "kick all the bums off food stamps" meme.

In the same vein, I've once seen somebody unironically argue that the very concept of insurance (medical, in this case) is inherently selfish. Because you're expecting other people to pay for things you might need. The very concept of sharing seems to be lost on these people. :psyduck:

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

VitalSigns posted:

because most people are in fact lovely, selfish, greedy, and do not give a poo poo about other people.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

This is why I have given up on Facebook. People start with insane far reaching false assumptions about a thing. I try to get them to consider literally any other possibility or present an ounce of truth that is not a wordpress page or something. They just cannot. There is just no way to talk to someone like that.

I've found that instead of giving up on a social media platform entirely, it's best to just stop talking to people that I disagree with on such a fundamental level or can't stand. I get all the benefits of the platform (like being able to easily talk to people I do like and being invited to events) without having to deal with negative people.

Social media in general becomes a lot easier to deal with when you realize that you can just cut people off without having to abandon ship entirely.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Words that are distinct and easier to tell apart than words that look very similar? Mind loving blown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Ashcans posted:

Remember that guy who was Fox and shouting 'I've been on foodstamps and welfare, and did anyone help me out? NO!'. People are just incredibly dumb.

That guy was Craig T. Nelson, star of TV's Coach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTwpBLzxe4U