Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Man if the only change the Astros make to their rotation is adding Charlie Morton I'm not going to be very happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Wait. So why do people here hate Eaton so much?

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Professor Funk posted:

Basic white guy, has played for the Diamondbacks

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
He stood up for Drake Laroche as a "clubhouse leader", but rather than find this hilarious and absurd, decided he was a shithead :confused:

As a Sox fan I did like the guy so I'll miss him. Especially this picture as he hit a grand slam:

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

I haven't paid much attention to him outside of looking at stats occasionally. I guess I'm asking if his stats overvalue him in any way? On paper, I feel like I'd much rather have him than McCutchen at this point.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Professor Funk posted:

It's ESPN so take it with a huge grain of salt, but the video in this article one of the idiot talking heads around the table said of Eaton: "Everyone that's played with him - in the Arizona clubhouse, in the White Sox clubhouse - say he's a very selfish player, not a great teammate."

Which uh... doesn't really jive at all with what White Sox posters have been saying here. :v: Either way, there is at least a perception that he's a clubhouse cancer for some reason :shrug:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Andrew "fuckin" McCutchen has one down season and everyone is ready to regulate him to the scrap bin. How quickly baseball fans forget.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Basically Eaton played RF for most of the year and made some amazing plays and was definitely one of the best RF defensively. Combine that with an offensive season that was basically equal to his career year from last year and he was an all-star caliber player.

The Nats getting him to play CF is kind of a step backwards because he's only average there. He really benefited from the smaller field to cover, and maybe also from his lack of renown because he threw quite a few guys out from right.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Popete posted:

Andrew "fuckin" McCutchen has one down season and everyone is ready to regulate him to the scrap bin. How quickly baseball fans forget.

And it was like a bad 3 months. From August on he had an .850 ops or something.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

fare thee well, jorge, who was involved in one of my favorite Cubs moments in the past two years
http://m.mlb.com/video/?content_id=72546383

Soler might be a crappy outfielder, but dude has a howitzer.

I will always appreciate him owning the gently caress out of the Cardinals in the NLDS in 2015.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Popete posted:

I'm ready to send Dallas Keuchel to the scrap bin one year after he won the Cy Young and I won't be dissuaded :colbert:

Keuchel :smith:

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Intruder posted:

I'm ready to send Dallas Keuchel to the scrap bin one year after he won the Cy Young and I won't be dissuaded :colbert:

Keuchel :smith:

Rangers will take him, Keuchel would be better than whatever mystery meat we'll trot out as a fifth starter.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

And it was like a bad 3 months. From August on he had an .850 ops or something.

Aug = .280/.391/.419
SepOct - .287/.373/.513

I would take him but not in CF dWAR of -2.6

DH? 1B? LF?

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

good luck with that:

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/806718553768468480

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

I for the life of me can't understand spending this kind of money on a guy who will throw max 70 innings in a season.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
oh my god that is loving atrocious

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I have a feeling his arm isn't gonna last 5 years, but the Yankees can afford it.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
gently caress
The
Yankees

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Professor Funk posted:

I for the life of me can't understand spending this kind of money on a guy who will throw max 70 innings in a season.

And if he loses a few miles on that fastball as he ages will not be anywhere close to as impactful as he is now.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

i'm loving livid at that Chapman deal

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I have a feeling his arm isn't gonna last 5 years, but the Yankees can afford it.

I can live with that. Would have preferred Melancon or Jansen for off-field reasons but I knew the Yankees wanted Chapman back as soon as they traded him.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
If the Yankees win a World Series thanks to Chapman I will lose my poo poo.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Have fun with that. :byewhore:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I mean, you figure 2017 and 2018 are going to be lean years for the Yanks, so I don't get this move at all. 5 years for a reliever, even for the best one on the planet, makes me squeamish. the Yanks are also trying to get under the luxury tax, so this, uh, doesn't help

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Will Jake Arrieta get more or less then this in FA?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Rumor is that he got an offer for more money from Miami, too.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Chapman's contract has a clause where he can't be traded to a California team. I always thought players liked Cali, especially San Diego for the weather. Why would this be?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
how long until the yankees are in a position to contend? three years at least?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Could just be me but I as a fan of a large market team don't give a flying gently caress about Billionaires overpaying dudes . And The Yankees are in a better place than the Cubs financially. They aren't going to be constrained down the line by overpaying someone.

Now if the reason you don't like the deal is because of Chapman's DV issues. Then sure lament away. But oh no, the Yankees over paid someone. Like they still won't be able to back up the 400m dollar Brinks truck for Harper when the time is right.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

John Wilkes Booth posted:

Chapman's contract has a clause where he can't be traded to a California team. I always thought players liked Cali, especially San Diego for the weather. Why would this be?

Well, unfortunately California is loving lousy with people from California

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

oh my gaaaaaaaaaaad

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

John Wilkes Booth posted:

Taxes maybe?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carlosologist posted:

I mean, you figure 2017 and 2018 are going to be lean years for the Yanks, so I don't get this move at all. 5 years for a reliever, even for the best one on the planet, makes me squeamish. the Yanks are also trying to get under the luxury tax, so this, uh, doesn't help

2017, sure. I think they should be back in it in 2018 though, and that's the off-season with the real big ticket FAs.

A lot of money comes off the Yankees books next year, and the team has long seen the bullpen as a lever to help the team overperform their lineup on paper (you could also read this as "overvalues the bullpen",) such as has happened the past few years.

I think it's a defensible contract from a years/money standpoint.

Dexo posted:

Could just be me but I as a fan of a large market team don't give a flying gently caress about Billionaires overpaying dudes . And The Yankees are in a better place than the Cubs financially. They aren't going to be constrained down the line by overpaying someone.

Now if the reason you don't like the deal is because of Chapman's DV issues. Then sure lament away. But oh no, the Yankees over paid someone. Like they still won't be able to back up the 400m dollar Brinks truck for Harper when the time is right.

Yankees fans are salary-conscious these days because Hal has been very vocal about getting under the tax threshold, and he's backed it up by staying real drat quiet on the FA market the past couple of years. I guess it may be a long con to swoop in and sign everybody in 2018 but...

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

corn on the cop posted:

how long until the yankees are in a position to contend? three years at least?

I'd say two or so, depends on if Severino turns into a real MLB starter and if Kaprielian stays healthy all year to make a jump. the offensive core seems to be in place with Bird/Sanchez/Judge in the middle of the order, so it really depends on developing reliable pitching

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Dexo posted:

This is probably a stupid question but as a fan of a rebuilding team I've been curious about it -- does ownership give front offices a long-term budget over a few years? Like I don't give a gently caress about Liberty Media's balance sheet but should I actually give a poo poo if the Braves keep payroll down because they'll have more to spend later when they expect to be competitive?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

This is probably a stupid question but as a fan of a rebuilding team I've been curious about it -- does ownership give front offices a long-term budget over a few years? Like I don't give a gently caress about Liberty Media's balance sheet but should I actually give a poo poo if the Braves keep payroll down because they'll have more to spend later when they expect to be competitive?

If ownership gives a gently caress, they should. There's no way you'll ever be able to put together a decent team if you're just making a budget on the fly.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Dexo posted:

You seem very angry about a lot of things.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Man, Chapman is gonna be able to buy so many cartons of Marlboro Reds.

https://twitter.com/MLBRandomStats/status/806724179013685248

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

As much as I love him, I hope the Yankees trade Dellin for a huge return now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Professor Funk posted:

Man, Chapman is gonna be able to buy so many cartons of Marlboro Reds.

https://twitter.com/MLBRandomStats/status/806724179013685248

lol

• Locked thread