Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Is Muvluv alternative supposed to come out this winter or next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Stefan Prodan posted:

Is Muvluv alternative supposed to come out this winter or next?

I think the last I heard was they were working on it. The last notice on the twitter page is the Steam Director's Cut release.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

I should really get around to reading Unlimited sometime, but Extra was really starting to drag after finishing a couple routes(Tama and Kei's).

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Sacrificial Toast posted:

I should really get around to reading Unlimited sometime, but Extra was really starting to drag after finishing a couple routes(Tama and Kei's).

its better but still not great. might as well wait until alternative is out honestly

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sacrificial Toast posted:

This is why people strongly suggest to read Sumika's and Meiya's then just move on.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

to be honest I don't really think muv luv is worth reading. Alternative is decent but not so good as to justify playing through the two prior games which are both long and not very good in my opinion

That said if you've already done sumika and meiya you've done enough that it's probably worth just skipping to unlimited and going from there

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I liked Unlimited although I felt like it sort of ended right when it was picking up

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't think it's worth skipping unlimited. If you're not going to bother reading that, then don't bother reading alternative, imo.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cake Attack posted:

to be honest I don't really think muv luv is worth reading. Alternative is decent but not so good as to justify playing through the two prior games which are both long and not very good in my opinion

That said if you've already done sumika and meiya you've done enough that it's probably worth just skipping to unlimited and going from there
It's definitely overrated IMO, in the sense that for a long time (still?) it got talked up as being the best VN ever made. It's certainly ambitious and suitably "epic", and not afraid to go some crazy places with its character arcs that I can appreciate, but there is so much overhead and BS you have to wade through to get there.

Ultimately the payoff at the end of it all I think is more or less worth it, but I would never fault anyone who'd look at the whole mess and not feel like going in too deeply.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Raxivace posted:

I've finished Steins;Gate 0.

I quite liked it overall, but I have to wonder what the hell the localizers were thinking. There are far, far more typos than the original game had, and there are at least two parts (Albeit brief) that are just flatout untranslated. Lot of strange stylistic changes too- past tense used as opposed to present tense, name orders are reversed (S;G0 used "Rintaro Okabe" instead of "Okabe Rintaro" and so on), honorifics are dropped etc. It just seems noticeably inconsistent with the style of the first game's translation- it's not so bad that I wouldn't recommend buying the game, but it did bug me.

The game itself I quite liked. If I had one main issue with it, it's that it doesn't quite feel like it has its own climax If you've played the original game, you should be able to guess what I'm talking about here. I'm also not quite sure what was going on with Kagari and her whole plotline in both the "Okabe turned off his phone" and the "Okabe left his phone on" branches. I'm not quite sure how the logisitics of her impersonating Yuki are supposed to work, or what exactly is supposed to be implied about her background by her visual similarity with Kurisu. There's this weird "Third Murderer in Macbeth" style mystery in the "Okabe turned his phone off" branch that I don't think ever is quite made sense of either that involves Kagari, Yuki, and...someone else I guess. Also Daru is still the worst, but in a shocking twist for the franchise he does eventually gain some slight character development. There's also this weird running joke in the game about how Daru is just too loving fat now- like four or five different characters in the game go out of their way to say something about this, and a few of them do so multiple times.

I think the game basically gets everything else right. The characters, even the depressed medicated Okabe, really do feel like themselves from the first game and the new characters are all fun. If you want to see them go on another adventure, this game is worth playing- it's just not quite as tight of a narrative as the first game's. That looseness, that feeling of the chaos feeling truly random this time is part of the point I think, but there are times where it doesn't quite work as well as it maybe should.

I'm really curious to see how the anime adaptation goes.

Responding a bit late here, but I finished the game pretty recently too, and I more or less agree with all your thoughts. Lots of strange changes in the localisation which felt a little pointless. Not that they really made anything worse, but it felt like they were different for no reason at all. Like, why reverse the orders of the names? I get that it's a different translator, but you'd think they'd try to keep the names consistent, at least. (Oh, by the way, that untranslated text you mentioned was patched, but the patch broke my saves at the time!)

Definitely agreed on the game not really feeling like it had a climax. It had the two main routes, each of which felt like they had half a climax which ended abruptly. Not to mention the 'true end' being like five minutes long (admittedly I did the Kurisu ending first so I'm not sure where the bonus true end bit started. I'm assuming it was when there was a timeskip to the future?). On top of that, I can't decide quite how I felt about so much of the story being left implied rather than all tied up and nicely resolved at the end like the original. It makes sense obviously, what with Okabe basically wanting nothing to do with any of this stressful nonsense anymore, but it still felt weird to have bits like where Okabe ends up in WW3 in an alternate timeline, and then when he comes back he kind of dismisses the whole thing as "Well, I guess that must've been the Russians experimenting, probably." Similarly with the other stuff you mentioned with Kagari. Probably stuff you could figure out if you give it enough thought, but it's strange that it's all left so unclear.

Really no idea how they'll do the anime adaption. There's so much that relies on you having seen both main routes, each of which are entirely different, and I have no clue how they'd sort that out. Certainly not like the original, where it was more or less a straight shot to the end, and the bad/additional endings didn't really add any extra information.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

smenj posted:

Definitely agreed on the game not really feeling like it had a climax. It had the two main routes, each of which felt like they had half a climax which ended abruptly. Not to mention the 'true end' being like five minutes long (admittedly I did the Kurisu ending first so I'm not sure where the bonus true end bit started. I'm assuming it was when there was a timeskip to the future?).
Yeah the true ending starts with the time skip to 2025. Normally that ending ends with the insanity of Okabe going into full Hououin Kyouma mode as the different militaries and attack helicopters are descending upon him. :allears: I gotta admit I really loved that part.

quote:

On top of that, I can't decide quite how I felt about so much of the story being left implied rather than all tied up and nicely resolved at the end like the original. It makes sense obviously, what with Okabe basically wanting nothing to do with any of this stressful nonsense anymore, but it still felt weird to have bits like where Okabe ends up in WW3 in an alternate timeline, and then when he comes back he kind of dismisses the whole thing as "Well, I guess that must've been the Russians experimenting, probably." Similarly with the other stuff you mentioned with Kagari. Probably stuff you could figure out if you give it enough thought, but it's strange that it's all left so unclear.
I think I'm okay with stuff like the WW3 timeline being left mostly unexplained and weird and mostly incomprehensible, but the Kagari stuff bothers me more since it's something that actually matters to Okabe and the others in basically every single arc to some extent. It's more weird than anything though, yeah, like somebody tried to filter a game like Remember11 through Steins;Gate.

quote:

Really no idea how they'll do the anime adaption. There's so much that relies on you having seen both main routes, each of which are entirely different, and I have no clue how they'd sort that out. Certainly not like the original, where it was more or less a straight shot to the end, and the bad/additional endings didn't really add any extra information.
Yeah it's hard to say how they'll do it. I think somehow they'll do it in a way that snugly fits in-between that 23B episode they released last year and the original broadcast episode 23 of the anime, so in that aspect it'll be interesting to check out and will probably flow a little better since it can run straight into the original series ending. The structure of the series itself though...I dunno. I was thinking they might just try and run the "Promised Rinascimento" and "Vega & Altair" routes parallel to each other, but that doesn't quite work and you'd lose some good moments from the other routes anyways.

The alternate endings to the original game were neat IMO- a Christian video game website of all places pointed out that they seem to exist to challenge Okabe's more fatalistic views about fate or whatever. Despite his ultimate dilemma about saving Kurisu or Mayuri there were other choices he could have made along the way to avoid that. While those endings may not add any new information except for that strangely dark one where Okabe considers murdering Daru and raping Suzuha- shades of that side of his personality appear in the very brief moments of this game when he considers just letting Kurisu's memories take over Kagari I like what they add thematically. I understand why the anime cut them, though they might have been neat as brief OVA's or something.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 8, 2016

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Raxivace posted:

The alternate endings to the original game were neat IMO- a Christian video game website of all places pointed out that they seem to exist to challenge Okabe's more fatalistic views about fate or whatever. Despite his ultimate dilemma about saving Kurisu or Mayuri there were other choices he could have made along the way to avoid that. While those endings may not add any new information except for that strangely dark one where Okabe considers murdering Daru and raping Suzuha- shades of that side of his personality appear in the very brief moments of this game when he considers just letting Kurisu's memories take over Kagari I like what they add thematically. I understand why the anime cut them, though they might have been neat as brief OVA's or something.

Oh, yeah, I definitely know what you mean. It was cool to see the alternate ways in which things could've ended, especially since it shows us that things weren't ever as black and white as Okabe was viewing them, and the game would've certainly been lesser for their removal. All I'd meant was that the additional endings in the original didn't add much in the way of plot-critical info or backstory, so the anime could remove them and keep the story nice and whole. In Steins;Gate 0 though, there's certain things, characters, backstories, motivations and so on you'd not find out very much about at all without having done the bad endings. Kagari, Reyes and Leskinen in particular. On top of that, they felt felt a bit chunkier/longer than the bonus ends in the first game in general, though it's been long enough that I can't properly compare. Makes me wonder if they'll try and work some of that stuff back into the rest of the show somehow, or do OVAs or something.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
what's the verdict on Steins;Gate 0?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Good post, smenj. :)

punk rebel ecks posted:

what's the verdict on Steins;Gate 0?
Most seem to have some opinion similar to mine- it's good but not as good as the first game.

If you liked the first game you'll probably enjoy 0. It's different and kind of weird though.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Dec 10, 2016

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I just finished it, I'd say it's definitely worth reading if you liked the first one.

I don't have much else to add beyond what everyone else has already mentioned, but the one thing that I found strange that hasn't been mentioned yet was why they never really expanded on the "new encephalitis" thing at all. It seems like a it would be a big deal that a bunch of people are mass experiencing other worldlines.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I haven't played the first game but watched the TV show and loved it. Unfortunately, I did not play the first game due to already seeing the TV show. So I am hoping to jump in with Steins;Gate 0.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

punk rebel ecks posted:

I haven't played the first game but watched the TV show and loved it. Unfortunately, I did not play the first game due to already seeing the TV show. So I am hoping to jump in with Steins;Gate 0.
Yeah you can just jump straight into 0 if you've only seen the anime.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

You shouldn't have any trouble jumping in with Steins;Gate 0 then. There might be one or two tiny things that pass you by, since the anime didn't quite cover everything the VN did, but it's all small enough to be meaningless. So long as you remember the story of the anime just fine, you'll have no bother. As an example of the kind of small thing I mean, in the original game, we very briefly met Luka's dad. I'm not certain, but I don't remember him appearing on-screen in the anime, so when he shows up again in this game, you might wonder for a second who he is until he's introduced. You've not missed anything plot-wise you'd need to worry about.

Raxivace posted:

Good post, smenj. :)
Most seem to have some opinion similar to mine- it's good but not as good as the first game.

If you liked the first game you'll probably enjoy 0. It's different and kind of weird though.

:)
I'm of the same mind regarding the game's quality. The tone's - understandably - quite different from the original, and might take a little getting used to, and the story's structured quite differently. Good game when all's said and done, and if anyone wants more Steins;Gate, definitely go ahead and play it, though I'd say the first game was a little bit better.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

After playing 0 I actually rewatched the anime. Luka's dad does appear in it like two or three times, but I don't think there are any references to his sister though or that whole part of his backstory. And hell you could play through the entire game and never even learn about her IIRC, though there's a Trophy related to it in the PS3 version.

The one difference that I can think of that matters somewhat is the circumstances behind Kurisu's death being slightly different in the game, but that's depicted in the prologue to 0 anyways.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

What's better, the Steins;Gate game or anime?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

they're pretty equal. i like the anime better since it tightens up the pacing and has good direction, but vn has a better art style and has some interesting elements like the alternate endings that need to be cut out of the anime by necessity

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

punk rebel ecks posted:

What's better, the Steins;Gate game or anime?
The game IMO, though the anime is still very good and especially so for a streamlined version of the story.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Although it's possible that it's more because it's the first thing I experienced, but I prefer the game because of the art style differences and the increased access to Okabe's thought processes/inner-monologuing.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

beat s;g 0. Pretty good, although the overall narrative didn't feel as cohesive as the original. I get that that's the point to an extent, but in some places it just felt sloppy. Also the stuff with the new characters wasn't really as good as the stuff that picked up on the same emotional beats established in S;G.

dumb question about the true ending i should probably know the answer to

how exactly does mayuri and suzuha's final trip back in time actually lead into the true ending? i dont think they made it all that clear what they actually changed, but maybe im just a dumb

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

how exactly does mayuri and suzuha's final trip back in time actually lead into the true ending? i dont think they made it all that clear what they actually changed, but maybe im just a dumb

I think they might've been trying to imply that Mayuri and Suzuha were planning to go back into the brief time between the point where past-Okabe and past-Suzuha went to go save Kurisu, and when they came back a few minutes later. I reckon the idea was that Mayuri wanted to convince herself in the past to force Okabe to try again rather than giving up, because she knew she was the only one who could do it. This would've led into the scene where Mayuri slaps Okabe instead of stopping Suzuha, I guess.

The problem with this idea is that the time machine can't move, so they would've landed on top of the one in the past or something whenever it returned unless they had the fuel to leave, which I didn't think they had, and that everyone in the future seemed to be acting as though Mayuri and Suzuha were lost or something as opposed to just stranded in the past. So I'm not entirely sure, either.

EDIT: Oh, I might've misinterpreted you. If you meant 'How did their decision to go into the past change the future to the true ending one?' then I can only guess. Maybe them not being around somehow led to the creation of the video D-mails? It'd make sense then that they'd only get one once they'd made their decision to time travel.

smenj fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 11, 2016

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So does anybody like Steins;Gate 0 better than the original? It's beginning to sound like it could be the "Justice for All" of the series.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think I saw someone on Reddit say they like 0 more, but that's about it.

Justice For All isn't quite the right comparison in my mind. I think a closer one is something like Remember11 that intentionally tries to be different than the previous games in terms of narrative style and presentation but isn't entirely successful in what it was doing. Personally though I liked Steins;Gate 0 more than I liked Remember11.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
The person/One of the people who translated the original said they preferred 0, way back when the game came out (Note: Stay away from the rest of that twitter if you haven't played the game, since people are tweeting questions about the endings and stuff). I haven't bothered hunting through their twitter to find out exactly why they thought so, but thinking the original was better isn't exactly a unanimous opinion.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

smenj posted:

I think they might've been trying to imply that Mayuri and Suzuha were planning to go back into the brief time between the point where past-Okabe and past-Suzuha went to go save Kurisu, and when they came back a few minutes later. I reckon the idea was that Mayuri wanted to convince herself in the past to force Okabe to try again rather than giving up, because she knew she was the only one who could do it. This would've led into the scene where Mayuri slaps Okabe instead of stopping Suzuha, I guess.

The problem with this idea is that the time machine can't move, so they would've landed on top of the one in the past or something whenever it returned unless they had the fuel to leave, which I didn't think they had, and that everyone in the future seemed to be acting as though Mayuri and Suzuha were lost or something as opposed to just stranded in the past. So I'm not entirely sure, either.

EDIT: Oh, I might've misinterpreted you. If you meant 'How did their decision to go into the past change the future to the true ending one?' then I can only guess. Maybe them not being around somehow led to the creation of the video D-mails? It'd make sense then that they'd only get one once they'd made their decision to time travel.

i was just more or less confused about what happened to the mayuri and suzuha who went to the past, basically for the reasons you said. glad to see im not the only one who didn't quite get it

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

smenj posted:

The person/One of the people who translated the original said they preferred 0, way back when the game came out (Note: Stay away from the rest of that twitter if you haven't played the game, since people are tweeting questions about the endings and stuff). I haven't bothered hunting through their twitter to find out exactly why they thought so, but thinking the original was better isn't exactly a unanimous opinion.

Maybe it's like Evangelion 2.22 vs Evangelion 3.33?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I don't think its really similar to Rebuild of Eva or the reactions to it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

What version of steins gate should I play/buy?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Any of them. Unless you're talking S;G vs S;G0 in which case go with the former.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Alright cool. Next question: is the official translation of Umineko substantially different from the fan-translated version? I was thinking about going through it again and was wondering if an official translation makes it worth buying again.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

House in Fata Morgana 3rd door I AM SO UPSET

2 doors later, I am much more upset

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 14, 2016

Alipes
Sep 6, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Alright cool. Next question: is the official translation of Umineko substantially different from the fan-translated version? I was thinking about going through it again and was wondering if an official translation makes it worth buying again.

From my understanding, if you are interested in solving the mystery, there are some key things that were changed (apparently it was inadvertently unsolvable in the fan translation). The official translation is actually based off of the fan translation though, so there are no gigantic differences. But the people that have done the Steam Higurashi voice/CG patches have also done the same for Umineko, and the voices are pretty fantastic if you're into that sort of thing. I've been replaying it with the voices and it definitely adds a layer of extra emotion to the experience.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
According to the fan translators, the new translation reveals 'treasure chests' in the text that R07 hid and that were completely impossible to pick up in the original fan translation. Apparently there are bits that are meant to read strange to catch the reader's attention that were lost in the first translation due to it being too stiff and literal. I'd say it sounds like it's 100% worth another play through. (And I'd love to see a list of these 'treasure chests' somewhere.)

Edit: Actually we should make that a challenge for the thread. Anyone who's going through for a 2nd time with the new translation, we should try to compile a list of what we think the treasure chests in the text are. According to Witch Hunt some of them are as important as the main story itself.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 14, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There's one specific line in the original translation that was very misleading and threw a lot of people off. But yeah some of it was just that they didn't know the solution to the mystery when they were originally doing the translation, and therefore didn't pick up on ambiguities or implications that should have been preserved.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

When searching for the differences in the translations, I found another independent fan translation of Umineko. "Umineko Project" claims, at least, that even the MG release didn't have completely perfect translation checking, and that they were going to go the extra mile. They've also got 1-4 out.

Now I have no idea if I'm supposed to use the official release or their thing, but they did create a helpful graph to answer my first question, I suppose:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
One thing Umineko Project stated is that they're not going to use the new version of the Epitaph MG uses to make it possible for English speakers to solve as doing so would require too many script changes and would make it too difficult to match things up with the voices. So there's that.