Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dublish
Oct 31, 2011

bef posted:

never played the third, whats wrong with it? i really wanted to try Coop on dolphin but with netplay its too laggy and desyncs :sigh:

Single-player added some really terrible 3rd-person shooter ground combat segments. Really terrible.

I'd forgotten about the coop though, that was definitely worth the sale price I paid for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Phimosissy posted:

I get that preferences exist, I just don't get that one.

I can't imagine they're going to put any effort into changes, and I find it really odd if not outright dumb to release two separate smash remakes/ports for the same system like that.

only one will have online. the other is just a cash in emulation job because there are probably thousands of dudes who are getting too old to lug the spongebob crt monitor and a gamecube around all the time to play their game.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phimosissy posted:

I get that preferences exist, I just don't get that one.

I can't imagine they're going to put any effort into changes, and I find it really odd if not outright dumb to release two separate smash remakes/ports for the same system like that.

Your movement can be a lot more fluid and free and you have more options in the neutral game. The punish game (after you hit the person and they're in hitstun) can turn into to a build-a-bear combo workshop which makes for some pretty creative play. It also has a higher pace of gameplay, while 4 has a bit of reservation. People that don't play melee competitively and don't know its quirks won't see how things are different from 4, but there's a fair share. There's alot of expression you can have in your playstyle.

I mean it makes sense to probably put the most popular title from the GC era on the GC VC release, and Nintendo may feel like its finally OK to give the Melee-heads a bone instead of, you know, trying to shut down any streaming or playing of Melee at EVO

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
If I can pay a dollar to get Mario 64 on my Switch and have it look brighter than the Wii U VC then i'll do it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's probably be 2.50

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
better yet: Check out Nintendos new game Super Switch Mario 64

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

bef posted:

Your movement can be a lot more fluid and free and you have more options in the neutral game. The punish game (after you hit the person and they're in hitstun) can turn into to a build-a-bear combo workshop which makes for some pretty creative play. It also has a higher pace of gameplay, while 4 has a bit of reservation. People that don't play melee competitively and don't know its quirks won't see how things are different from 4, but there's a fair share. There's alot of expression you can have in your playstyle.

I mean it makes sense to probably put the most popular title from the GC era on the GC VC release, and Nintendo may feel like its finally OK to give the Melee-heads a bone instead of, you know, trying to shut down any streaming or playing of Melee at EVO

play a real gtame like pokken

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bef posted:

I'm not disputing any of this, but lol.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah i know its just food for thought, to help you understand why a bit better

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

i never got to play skys of arcadia so i am looking forward to that maybe.

it is extremely good

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Phimosissy posted:

:jerkbag:

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stux posted:

we can fight right now if you'd like

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

bef posted:

we can fight right now if you'd like

i'll fight u irl nerd, wait until you see my finishing move. u may be familiar with it: its a swirly.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

play pokken with me

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Stux posted:

Phimosissy posted:

Smash is fun, Melee is fun and they're not making another one like it again. You can do some crazy stuff in it and Smash is better off as a whole having had it exist than not.

Also the single player is actually good!

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stux posted:

i'll fight u irl nerd, wait until you see my finishing move. u may be familiar with it: its a swirly.

your shitposting is the only move you have lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

bef posted:

your shitposting is the only move you have lol

lucky its a ohko at even 0%

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It wouldn't make a lot of sense to significantly revamp Melee. That would take a big investment of resources that would be put to better use on the most current edition of Smash.

From a pro perspective, if the Switch version of Melee is changed to the point where it has inadvertent gameplay differences, it could upset that playerbase, and maybe even divide the scene if the differences are major enough. For casual players, Melee has way less appeal than Smash 4, because the 2001-era roster is missing the newer characters that those players will want to have in the mix.

Rerelease Melee exactly as-is, but with a resolution bump, a crisp HD video signal, and a couple new control options. Focus development of new content on Smash 4 Switch. That seems like the best way to keep the most people happy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You all seem to be confusing emulation and remastering. A VC port is just the original game thinking it's still on a Gamecube's hardware, running on a Switch.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

as someone who's never played Smash seriously, Melee's cool because you actually die at 100% instead of floating back again and again

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Emulators can bump resolution and add things like controller wrappers.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stux posted:

lucky its a ohko at even 0%

in your dreams but keep trying (its why you do, over and over again)

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Supercar Gautier posted:

It wouldn't make a lot of sense to significantly revamp Melee. That would take a big investment of resources that would be put to better use on the most current edition of Smash.

From a pro perspective, if the Switch version of Melee is changed to the point where it has inadvertent gameplay differences, it could upset that playerbase, and maybe even divide the scene if the differences are major enough. For casual players, Melee has way less appeal than Smash 4, because the 2001-era roster is missing the newer characters that those players will want to have in the mix.

Rerelease Melee exactly as-is, but with a resolution bump, a crisp HD video signal, and a couple new control options. Focus development of new content on Smash 4 Switch. That seems like the best way to keep the most people happy.

Really all they need to focus on is making the Input lag less than or equal to Melee's and the whole melee scene would Switch over just because no one wants to carry giant rear end crtvs anymore in TYOOL 2017. But adding more legal-worthy stages and maybe some new single player content would be siiiiick

also sakurai should port over pokefloats to 4 just for the sake of party-game sanity, shits practically a crime its not in.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
maybe they should all just try playing something real instead, like virtual fighter

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Do you mean Virtual Bart?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Uh they're playing Breath of the Wild on switch on Jimmy Fallon and uh it kind of looks 60fps

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I dunno how you can identify a 60fps feed when the Fallon show is broadcast at 24fps.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Can't wait to play Baten Kaitos (emulated) on the switch!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

DoctorWhat posted:

I dunno how you can identify a 60fps feed when the Fallon show is broadcast at 24fps.

I just know man

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

DoctorWhat posted:

It's not even 60fps on youtube, so there's no way to tell. It did look very smooth though. It's still about six months away though.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TJ7IUNWGl4&t=296s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V17tXBePgfo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm surprised how thin the Switch actually is. For some reason I thought it'd be slightly thicker. Not like WiiU-Gamepad-thick, but not something comparable to a smartphone.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The human eye can't see above 30 FPS anyway.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I am reminded about how much I loving hate Jimmy Fallon

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dexo posted:

I am reminded about how much I loving hate Jimmy Fallon

it was cool how reggie didn't let him play for a long time

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

it was cool how reggie didn't let him play for a long time

And detached it from the large screen before handing it over.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

they are called JOYCONS Jimmy, and you can purchase them in different colors.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jimmy having a legit nerd freak out :allears:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/806710980319162369/photo/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Headline: That's right the new nintendo switch is invisible, but what about the framerates????

• Locked thread