Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Just eat it, we didn't survive a billion years by being as fragile as commercials want us to believe.

*However Trastion is right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
13 hours is long enough for a lot of bad bacteria to set up shop (but not botulism, needs an anaerobic environment). I wouldn't feed it to kids, the elderly, or anyone immune compromised as they would be especially vulnerable to what may be lurking inside. As long as you're comfortable with a small risk of spending hours on the toilet over the coming days/weeks, go for it. Really, it depends on how much you want that quiche. It's a risk/reward thing. I wouldn't eat it personally, because it's just quiche and I'm not putting myself through that for quiche.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

504 posted:

Just eat it, we didn't survive a billion years by being as fragile as commercials want us to believe.

*However Trastion is right.

over the course of that billion years our average lifespan has gotten much longer, and part of that is because fewer people die of food-borne illnesses now that we know what bacteria and proper refrigeration are

sure, you could be fine if your immune system is in good shape, and I doubt you would die or anything but getting food poisoning really loving sucks and a quiche that's been sitting out all night doesn't sound very appetizing anyway, so I don't see much point in risking it

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 7, 2016

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
If you don't start eating those old rear end quiches, you're never gonna develop the kind of stomach bacteria that will help you survive in the inevitable Mad Max future

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Dogfish posted:

And my hairdresser's job is to cut my hair, but I tip her because it's customary to do so. Buddy's question was whether it was customary to tip someone who delivers a car, as it is to tip many people who deliver things.
My answer was no. I'm sorry I didn't do a good enough job spelling that out for you.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
That's OK, I forgive you. Next time you'll know that providing an irrelevant rationale for your answer makes it less clear. Could happen to anyone.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Ras Het posted:

If you don't start eating those old rear end quiches, you're never gonna develop the kind of stomach bacteria that will help you survive in the inevitable Mad Max future

I've seen all the Mad Max movies and I am pretty sure that quiche was never a hazard he encountered.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You do tip car delivery men, and it loving sucks because it's still the customary 15%. That poo poo is expensive for a 12k prius.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

spog posted:

I've seen all the Mad Max movies and I am pretty sure that quiche was never a hazard he encountered.

They cut out a lot of stuff

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Turtlicious posted:

You do tip car delivery men, and it loving sucks because it's still the customary 15%. That poo poo is expensive for a 12k prius.

I would assume you tip over the value of the delivery, not the total costs.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Namarrgon posted:

I would assume you tip over the value of the delivery, not the total costs.

Son of a BITCH!!!

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
15% was what your parents tipped. Today it's 18% bare minimum, like even if your car was cold and you got the wrong car initially and they had to go back and re-make it for you. 20% if service was decent.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Earwicker posted:

over the course of that billion years our average lifespan has gotten much longer, and part of that is because fewer people die of food-borne illnesses now that we know what bacteria and proper refrigeration are

sure, you could be fine if your immune system is in good shape, and I doubt you would die or anything but getting food poisoning really loving sucks and a quiche that's been sitting out all night doesn't sound very appetizing anyway, so I don't see much point in risking it

Word, but it seems people are convinced they are going to explode if they so much as smell food that's a day over.

Earwicker posted:

a quiche doesn't sound very appetizing anyway, so I don't see much point in risking it

Fixed, ill fight to the death to stop anyone eating/enjoying quiche.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
When alcohol is made into vinegar, are they using alcohol specifically made for that purpose, or is it something done to alcohol that got screwed up and wasn't good enough to sell? Is there 'vinegar country' the same way some places are considered 'wine country?'

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

YggiDee posted:

When alcohol is made into vinegar, are they using alcohol specifically made for that purpose, or is it something done to alcohol that got screwed up and wasn't good enough to sell? Is there 'vinegar country' the same way some places are considered 'wine country?'

Some kinds of vinegar are made from wine (not wine that got "screwed up", usually just really cheap mass produced wine) and some kinds are specifically made from fermented grape juice or other kinds of fermented juices that are fermented just for that purpose.

and yes there are indeed places strongly associated with the vinegar they produce, Modena in Italy is probably the most famous as a producer of balsamic vinegar, it even has legal geographic protection like many wines or spirits do.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I actually didn't know what a quiche was until right now. I'd heard of it but didn't realize it's just a scrambled egg pie.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Speaking of vinegar -- this came up with my roommate last year, and we decided not to risk it, but does vinegar violate Muslim dietary laws?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I don't understand the quiche hate ITT. My family loves quiche, it's wonderful. What's to hate about cheese and veggies and spices inside eggs on top of flaky pastry? Frittata is even delicious.

Unless you quiche haters have never had a basil and cook all your food spice free like neanderthals.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

I don't understand the quiche hate ITT. My family loves quiche, it's wonderful. What's to hate about cheese and veggies and spices inside eggs on top of flaky pastry? Frittata is even delicious.

Unless you quiche haters have never had a basil and cook all your food spice free like neanderthals.

There was a commercial a couple decades ago (maybe more) that said "real men don't eat quiche" and from there it was doomed as a food because no one wanted to eat something that made them gay.True story.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I know a guy who owns a bakery in a country town. They never sold very many quiches until he put a sign on them that said "egg and bacon pie with cheese". Quiches are now their most popular item.

If you don't like the sound of egg and bacon pie with cheese I wonder where you went wrong in life.

Sure you can get fancy with your quiche and it's a great base for a solid meal, but you really can't go wrong with bacon, eggs and cheese. I put diced jalapeños and spinach in mine as well.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Quiche can be very good but it is dry and gross most of the time you get it anywhere but someone's house.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

There was a commercial a couple decades ago (maybe more) that said "real men don't eat quiche" and from there it was doomed as a food because no one wanted to eat something that made them gay.True story.

It was actually a book on the NYT Bestseller List for nearly a year.

quote:

Real Men Don't Eat Quiche, by American Bruce Feirstein, is a bestselling tongue-in-cheek book satirizing stereotypes of masculinity, published in 1982 (ISBN 0-671-44831-5).

It popularized the term quiche-eater, referring to a man who is a dilettante, a trend-chaser, an over-anxious conformist to fashionable forms of lifestyle, and socially correct behaviors and opinions, one who eschews (or merely lacks) the traditional masculine virtue of tough self-assurance. A 'traditional' male might enjoy the ironically not so exotic egg-and-bacon pie if his wife served it to him; a quiche-eater, or Sensitive New Age Guy is alleged to make the dish himself, call it by its French name quiche, and serve it to his female life partner to demonstrate his empathy with the Women's Movement. Presumably, he would also wash up afterwards. These are also implied examples of 'women's work', and an attempt to taint the male character by association with such knowledge and activities.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

tuyop posted:

That right there. Vegetables + cheese is usually gross as hell IMO.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

El Jeffe posted:

That right there. Vegetables + cheese is usually gross as hell IMO.

what the gently caress

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

:colbert:

Veggies: sure

cheese: awesome

But for some reason the combination always nauseates me.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

bongwizzard posted:

Quiche can be very good but it is dry and gross most of the time you get it anywhere but someone's house.

Yeah getting it somewhere is pretty dumb since pie crust is absurdly easy to make and it's literally just stirring some eggs with poo poo in them and pouring them into a pie tin and baking it with cheese on top. Like, buy something that would be stupid to make like a cinnamon bun or a croissant sandwich. Nobody wants to make that poo poo from scratch.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I generally don't eat eggs straight, but if you haven't had a good quiche lorraine you're missing out.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

FCKGW posted:

It was actually a book on the NYT Bestseller List for nearly a year.

quote:

Real Men Don't Eat Quiche, by American Bruce Feirstein, is a bestselling tongue-in-cheek book satirizing stereotypes of masculinity, published in 1982 (ISBN 0-671-44831-5).

It popularized the term quiche-eater, referring to a man who is a dilettante, a trend-chaser, an over-anxious conformist to fashionable forms of lifestyle, and socially correct behaviors and opinions, one who eschews (or merely lacks) the traditional masculine virtue of tough self-assurance. A 'traditional' male might enjoy the ironically not so exotic egg-and-bacon pie if his wife served it to him; a quiche-eater, or Sensitive New Age Guy is alleged to make the dish himself, call it by its French name quiche, and serve it to his female life partner to demonstrate his empathy with the Women's Movement. Presumably, he would also wash up afterwards. These are also implied examples of 'women's work', and an attempt to taint the male character by association with such knowledge and activities.

There's a pretty good episode of I Don't Even Own a Television about it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not sure why I thought it was from an ad. I was a kid then.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Not sure why I thought it was from an ad. I was a kid then.

He did go around on various news and talk shows back then talking up his book, so maybe that's what you remember?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Speaking of vinegar -- this came up with my roommate last year, and we decided not to risk it, but does vinegar violate Muslim dietary laws?

There are lots of vinegars specifically labeled "halal", so not necessarily. There is apparently some debate on some wine vinegars, according to this fine page (which enchanted me so much I didn't bother to search any further).

Apple cider vinegar and white vinegar (not white wine vinegar, but white vinegar, which is made from grain) seem to be totally uncontroversial, so I would probably choose one of those when cooking for observant Muslim guests.

Eta: Okay, I lied. Here's another page.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 8, 2016

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
If I'm looking into getting a good (Not something that you buy for 150 bucks for college where the mattress becomes a hardened lump of fiber after a year) futon where would I go to look into that?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

bongwizzard posted:

Just smell it. Smells good, eat. Smells bad, give to dad.

Can't tell how serious you're being, but this is really, really bad advice. Food can be contaminated with bacteria long before it's started to rot and smell bad. Also, nuking the hell out of food that's been left out too long doesn't make it safe to eat either - you do kill the bacteria, but it leaves behind all their pathogens.

Baron Porkface posted:

Does South Africa have 4 distinct seasons and extensive snowfall?

Yes to the first part, no to the second. What makes you think having four seasons also means it snows in winter?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

If I'm looking into getting a good (Not something that you buy for 150 bucks for college where the mattress becomes a hardened lump of fiber after a year) futon where would I go to look into that?

Buy a couch, instead.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Leal posted:

There are futon stores, and they will gladly take as much money as you have. The base model is $99 for the fiber futon and $99 for the tube metal frame - they have futons that get into the $500 range for a very nice hardwood frame and $500+ for an innerspring pillowtop mattress - so a thousand bucks or more all-in.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I had a font I used a bunch in InDesign, Eurostile.

I packed a bunch of files for a client.

Now all InDesign seems to not include that font. Even though it's clearly synced at the Font typekit.com website which I access through InDesign.

How do I get this font back?

This is all exclusively on one pc that only I use, so its not like somebody else fiddled with the stuff.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

photomikey posted:

There are futon stores, and they will gladly take as much money as you have. The base model is $99 for the fiber futon and $99 for the tube metal frame - they have futons that get into the $500 range for a very nice hardwood frame and $500+ for an innerspring pillowtop mattress - so a thousand bucks or more all-in.

Yeah I don't mind spending upwards to a grand, I want something that is good and will last me a long time. And really, anything is a step up from this third hand mattress with a second hand box spring I've been using for a few years.

Thanatosian posted:

Buy a couch, instead.

Too bulky and I can already see myself rolling off the relatively small space of a couch often. I'm renting a single room so I need something that I can easily move around, move it against the wall when using it as a couch and pull it out the middle of the room for bed.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I bought this baby used off Craigslist, I believe he was asking $250, I think I paid $200:

The mattress is memory foam, it is super comfy; the frame is stained beech or birch or something, and although beat up by the time I sold it, it was a great buy and very comfortable as a bed - it was not my daily driver but I did crash on it from time to time and it was my go-to guest bed for 7 or 8 years.

I think something in this range would be $500-$700 new, but if you are open to used, there is a lot out there.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

When I'm falling asleep and hear a loud noise (door banging closed, dog dropping her bone, etc) I often see a bright flash of random colors and lights while my eyes are closed but I'm still semi-conscious.

What is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Professor Shark posted:

When I'm falling asleep and hear a loud noise (door banging closed, dog dropping her bone, etc) I often see a bright flash of random colors and lights while my eyes are closed but I'm still semi-conscious.

What is that?

Aliens