Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

A Man and his dog posted:

:lol:

Also Jesus Christ that's a poo poo ton of mash potatoes to be using a Hobart.

Well used a massive Hobart at J Alexanders back in thevery day to make the potatoes. Best way to make a ton of them quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The coolest part of that video was seeing a new gen Hobart.

Always, cool seeing a Hobart being opened up and all the moving gears that go into it.

But for potato prep I'm use to just boiling them and then mashing and whipping in a giant bowl.

Look! A Horse!
Feb 10, 2010
this was my first cooking job at a college cafeteria, I think we used 2? 50llb cases for one batch. And no, I wasn't fired.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
We regularaly do 1-200lbs of mash at a time. I'd laugh my loving rear end off if the new guy didn't use the mixer.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Look! A Horse! posted:

X-post from most damage done A/T thread:

One day I was making mashed potatoes with a GIANT Hobart Mixer (looked exactly like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw6MyBY29u8). I was stupidly using a metal hotel pan to add the steamed potatoes and somehow threw the hotel pan right in the mixer. Totally destroyed the mixing blade ($1000), the Hobart had to be repaired ($1000) and of course the mashed potatoes had to be thrown out. I had already added about 6qts of heavy cream and 5lbs. of butter...

What are your biggest kitchen gently caress ups?

Why the hell were you using a hotel pan and not a 5gal bucket?

On second thought, what did you do to that poor Hobart that it had a guard a whole pan could fit through? I know the one we used at the bakery didn't have one, but it was from the 1960's and was a goddamn trooper, and we still treated it with the utmost respect.

Look! A Horse!
Feb 10, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Why the hell were you using a hotel pan and not a 5gal bucket?

On second thought, what did you do to that poor Hobart that it had a guard a whole pan could fit through? I know the one we used at the bakery didn't have one, but it was from the 1960's and was a goddamn trooper, and we still treated it with the utmost respect.

I'm an idiot, thats why! And this mixer was probably 50 years old, no guard at all.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Look! A Horse! posted:

I'm an idiot, thats why!

You have now learned all that culinary has to teach you. Go forth from this place, and may YHVH light your path my child.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Finally got fed up with the franchisee I work for, got a release from my current one and transferred to a different one.

With a significant raise, paid time off, and they're paying half of my COBRA until their insurance kicks in. Also I got another good offer from a third franchisee. /brag

This economic recovery is dope.

Met my new boss today and they seem a bit green but organized and intelligent. I think this is gonna work out a lot better.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Where did everyone go?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Silver Nitrate posted:

Finally got fed up with the franchisee I work for, got a release from my current one and transferred to a different one.

With a significant raise, paid time off, and they're paying half of my COBRA until their insurance kicks in. Also I got another good offer from a third franchisee. /brag

This economic recovery is dope.

Met my new boss today and they seem a bit green but organized and intelligent. I think this is gonna work out a lot better.

Don't count on it lasting.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Where did everyone go?

Who knows. I was on vacation.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Where did everyone go?

Getting ready for Christmas party season.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
Here we go

If I die, I die fried

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
That gig you all helped me with, where I was asking about links/reading recommendations for southern food? Well, I've now moseyed my way into the head chef of that place and our other (meat-and-three bbq) property. And it's in north america, so I'm short staffed. So posting on the internet is hard.

I'm still here, friends. I got out early tonight because the guy I started training on Tuesday seems to be competent, so hopefully he can keep the kitchen above water tonight while the guy who was hired at the same time as me (and as an "equal" to me) does his best to sink it.

... I have six interviews lined up next week and the day before one of them starts I get to fire that retarded gently caress.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Skwirl posted:

Depressed people order a lot of pizza, I'll be alright.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

goodness posted:

Here we go

If I die, I die fried

He died the way he lived. Delicious.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Skwirl posted:

How's being out of the business?

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Where did everyone go?

Glorious Mexico. I'm still only in Texas but it's not too late to turn the car around.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

nuru posted:

How's being out of the business?

It's nice, though I realized I was massively under reporting my tips so it's no where near the income boost I thought it'd be, and I paying bar tabs in cash so I didn't get a reminder of how much I spent at the bar every time I checked my bank balance.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Luke telling people super complicated fake passwords for the wifi at his diner is my favorite part of the new Gilmore Girls episodes.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Someday I'm going to be president of a big company and not give a poo poo that I'm keeping a bunch of staff there for like two hours while I just hang out and chat after everyone else has left.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
wait no I wont, that would be awful

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
The person who did the schedule forgot to check with the requests for time off that people put in and scheduled someone who is out of town to open today. Because he's an idiot and didn't finish the schedule until late Sunday night, today the day driver showed up to an empty store.

Fortunately the day delivery driver is capable of running shifts (prefers to drive though) so he could open the store and make food. No deliveries obviously. Had to cancel ~11 orders.

It took almost three hours before anyone showed up and they could resume business as normal.

Sunday night we did twice as much as our predicted sales while short two of the six person crew.

Seven days until my transfer.

I cannot wait.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Silver Nitrate posted:

The person who did the schedule forgot to check with the requests for time off that people put in and scheduled someone who is out of town to open today. Because he's an idiot and didn't finish the schedule until late Sunday night, today the day driver showed up to an empty store.
I cannot wait.

Despite getting the schedule out late, it is also on the person who put in the request for time off to ensure it's been approved before taking off. I've been in too many situations like that to go without covering my own rear end until it's in been approved in writing.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

Despite getting the schedule out late, it is also on the person who put in the request for time off to ensure it's been approved before taking off. I've been in too many situations like that to go without covering my own rear end until it's in been approved in writing.

I read that as the request was already approved or the person wouldn't be there whether the request was approved or not. Can you clarify Silver Nitrate?

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Where did everyone go?

Got a job doing UK hours full time at a call center for twice what the burger place paid.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

RandomPauI posted:

I read that as the request was already approved or the person wouldn't be there whether the request was approved or not. Can you clarify Silver Nitrate?

Yeah he requested this time off like five months ago. I was expecting to work his shifts this week. Even talked to my boss about it. XD

Of course our request for time off thing is literally people scribbling their names on a calendar with no proper approval system or even documenting when they asked for it off.

I gave him a large weekly planner and showed him how to get people to request properly: day you need off and day you asked for it with a spot for manager initials. But he's like nah this calendar thing is fine.

Whatever. Not my problem anymore :v:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
what do you guys use if you want to clean the gently caress out of a stove / oven? I'm thinking about buying a used stainless hob soon, and want to know how much crud I can realistically expect to remove.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Carbon-off.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Easy off, elbow high gloves, and a bunch of Brillo pads. (The kind without soap in then)

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Degreaser, wire brush; barkeeper's friend brillo pad. You can get anything to bare metal. To be clear, you are cleaning it with a strong base then rinsing it and all that, then cleaning it with a mild acid made from water and the friend. I mean how bad is it? If you dragged it out of a lake or something you could escalate to naval jelly and extreme safety.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Dec 3, 2016

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

mindphlux posted:

what do you guys use if you want to clean the gently caress out of a stove / oven? I'm thinking about buying a used stainless hob soon, and want to know how much crud I can realistically expect to remove.

I believe the rabbis use a blow torch to kosher-a-fy kitchens.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Most here have some background in food safety so I'm asking this bizarre question here:

Should I be worried about a botulism risk from an anaerobic environment if I'm boiling chlorinated water, then transferring to warm, sealed canning jars for immediate cooling in a fridge, then decanting into molds for freezing?

(It's all an experiment to cheaply degas water and hopefully produce clearer ice and I sure hope the jars won't explode from the pressure/temp difference in the fridge)

Der Luftwaffle fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Dec 7, 2016

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Most here have some background in food safety so I'm asking this bizarre question here:

Should I be worried about a botulism risk from an anaerobic environment if I'm boiling chlorinated water, then transferring to warm, sealed canning jars for immediate cooling in a fridge, then decanting into molds for freezing?

(It's all an experiment to cheaply degas water and hopefully produce clearer ice and I sure hope the jars won't explode from the pressure/temp difference in the fridge)

Just pull the ice trays out right when the tops of the cubes start to solidify and use a toothpick to break the top and stir them up and get the gas out, then put them back in the freezer.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Should I be worried about a botulism risk from [water]

Botulism bacteria aren't toxic, their poop is. Traces of botulism bacteria/spores are pretty much everywhere (more so in certain foods like honey). But as a healthy adult, they're not going to be able to proliferate in your gut. What you really want to avoid is eating a bubbly jar of bad home canned vegetables that has had an active botulism colony growing in it for the last six months. That will be full of the botulism toxin.

Since tap water doesn't have the nutrients to support an active botulism colony, you're not going to get botulism from it, even if it contains a few botulism spores.

(Contrast this with something like the nastier strains of salmonella, where the trouble comes from the bacteria infecting you, not from eating their metabolic byproducts. Then you have to worry much more about cross contamination, etc.)

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

So I have a problem, maybe someone here can give me some advice.

I'm a cook at a small restaurant (maybe 5-6 people on the team) and there's a dishwasher there who hates my guts. He's constantly saying stuff under his breath, usually just loud enough for me to hear, but he's never been confrontational about it until today when he called me a "loving rear end in a top hat" fairly loudly. I'm not entirely sure what I did wrong, I might have put something in the wrong side of the sink, but I'm not sure since there's no system in place.

I confronted him about it, and asked what I did wrong. He said it's not his place to say, and that he's just the dishwasher and overall got very defensive. I apologized for doing something to upset him, and I tried to tell him that I clearly did something wrong and that I don't want to do the wrong thing any more. He seemed worried about losing his job and said he's not trying to steal my job which I was very confused by. I tried to explain that I wouldn't even say anything to anyone, and that he can tell me what I did wrong so I can fix the behavior. Nothing got through though. He didn't want to say anything, and so in my defeat I just finished the day.

I thought about bringing it up to the head chef, but I think a better approach would be to tell the dishwasher that if he doesn't want to tell me what I did wrong that's fine, but I'm going to try and fix the behavior regardless by being more careful in general. I also want to tell him that he doesn't have to like me, but that I just don't want to cause him any additional stress during his work day.

Is this a good approach, or should I try something different?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

I'm a cook at a small restaurant (maybe 5-6 people on the team) and there's a dishwasher there who hates my guts. He's constantly saying stuff under his breath, usually just loud enough for me to hear, but he's never been confrontational about it until today when he called me a "loving rear end in a top hat" fairly loudly. I'm not entirely sure what I did wrong, I might have put something in the wrong side of the sink, but I'm not sure since there's no system in place.

I confronted him about it, and asked what I did wrong. He said it's not his place to say, and that he's just the dishwasher and overall got very defensive. I apologized for doing something to upset him, and I tried to tell him that I clearly did something wrong and that I don't want to do the wrong thing any more. He seemed worried about losing his job and said he's not trying to steal my job which I was very confused by. I tried to explain that I wouldn't even say anything to anyone, and that he can tell me what I did wrong so I can fix the behavior. Nothing got through though. He didn't want to say anything, and so in my defeat I just finished the day.

I thought about bringing it up to the head chef, but I think a better approach would be to tell the dishwasher that if he doesn't want to tell me what I did wrong that's fine, but I'm going to try and fix the behavior regardless by being more careful in general. I also want to tell him that he doesn't have to like me, but that I just don't want to cause him any additional stress during his work day.

I only ever worked front of house, so take all of this with a grain of salt, but I think the general rule is dishwasher is the lowest totem on the pole, just get him fired, he'll get a new dishwashing job and hopefully won't be an rear end to the next cook.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
While I wouldn't go that far, I would let him know that he will not speak to me that way and if there is a problem, he can bring it to me like an adult.

Side note: dishwashers aren't lower on the BoH totem pole. If you get a good dishwasher, you treat them as nice as possible, because they are a rare breed. I'm switching jobs, but at my old job, our dishwashers were fantastic and what I will probably miss the most. Maybe that's the problem; he thinks he's subservient to you, even though you guys just have different jobs.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Babylon Astronaut posted:

While I wouldn't go that far, I would let him know that he will not speak to me that way and if there is a problem, he can bring it to me like an adult.

Side note: dishwashers aren't lower on the BoH totem pole. If you get a good dishwasher, you treat them as nice as possible, because they are a rare breed. I'm switching jobs, but at my old job, our dishwashers were fantastic and what I will probably miss the most. Maybe that's the problem; he thinks he's subservient to you, even though you guys just have different jobs.

This, pretty much. Good dishwashers are a god send when you are busy. Some are just salty because they think that they are being looked down on for being a dishwasher.. Or are just salty because waiters keep throwing knives into the wash sink while they are scrubbing things/have their hands in it. That last one happened to me until the head chef straight up told me to spray them with the vert hose if they keep doing it, since they weren't responding to being asked politely to not throw sharp objects at my hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Verisimilidude posted:

tell him to stick it up his rear end and then buy him a beer

• Locked thread