Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
What are the possibilities for a lone pilot to pick a backwater system and through his presence and activities there see the system grow in importance? It's been a long time since I played, and I'm thinking if such a thing is doable it might just give me a goal and a home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I'll grant you a generous 2%

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Exioce posted:

What are the possibilities for a lone pilot to pick a backwater system and through his presence and activities there see the system grow in importance? It's been a long time since I played, and I'm thinking if such a thing is doable it might just give me a goal and a home.

This is what I wanted most from this game. Find a cool and funny faction somewhere, "join" them and do missions, kill their enemies, etc, and eventually the map changes. It was the main thing freelancer was missing, IMO.

So this game has this, but it's all broken and solo players can hardly affect anything. It's bad.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Exioce posted:

If you slammed your head in a car door you would have the same effect on the game world with more feedback on your actions.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

This is what I wanted most from this game. Find a cool and funny faction somewhere, "join" them and do missions, kill their enemies, etc, and eventually the map changes. It was the main thing freelancer was missing, IMO.

So this game has this, but it's all broken and solo players can hardly affect anything. It's bad.

This reminds me, back in 2014 I found a little group of weirdos clinging to their weird little system at the border of human space. They were an Alliance-system and for a while I did missions for them, thinking this may help them out.

When I looked back at their system years later, I found out all these little 10k-people systems at the border had been gone from the Alliance to independent or one of the other two powers. For some reason this really disheartened me. :(

I still think the Alliance only exists anymore because Frontier noticed they hosed up and hardcoded their most important systems to stay Alliance regardless to what happens in the background-sim.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I was going to ask if there was a good summary of the changes made to the game as of late? I was no longer in the loop after, oooh, about when those alien ship wrecks were discovered. Is there anything major that has changed since then and does have game actually have more to do?

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
Hey guys, double-shot pacifiers are great :getin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvQKPhYb9oo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2TQRWDs5XY

Edit: this is from the beta server

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 7, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Beta with power play, engineer, and combat changes went love today :effort:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
They announced that they're removing all commodities from engineer blueprints until storage arrives (if it arrives), so that's one good thing to look forward to. They also said they're making more changes to prevent mission stacking by changing modes and apparently on the Q&A stream last night Sandro said now that we've got module storage they might go back to not giving you full price when you sell modules (because obviously the tedious fuckers on the brown sea want that) and suggested only giving 50% of the cost back.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
jesus christ, someone please stop sandro :cripes:

he is the font of all bad ideas

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I want to be able to buy ships and modules second hand. Make them a bit shitter, or with a small chance of randomly conking out (increases with how much of a discount you bought them at)

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

:same:

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Pilchenstein posted:

they might go back to not giving you full price when you sell modules

Both the dev and the brown sea fundamentally misunderstand why people don't want to pay a tax on modules :cripes:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Are there enough bad :frontear: decisions to make a frontier.txt yet or is the glacial pace of the various release updates too slow for that?

Also lol gently caress anybody who isn't already flying their endgame ships and desperately trying to save up because you aren't even a consideration.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Welp, that's dumb. I follow the game but hardly ever play because of the grind. So great idea making the loving grind worse.

Go gently caress yourselves with razors, :reddit: loving subhumans.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Lets just admit this to ourselves: Planet Coaster is where all the care and effort is going now anyway. ED has already had it's prime monetization and most people who would buy it already have a copy.

From here on out it's basically just going to be "distract the people who already have everything with more grind", more multicolor lasers in the cash shop and maybe in a few years "season 2" will actually be feature complete. Or completely forgotten about.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

Lets just admit this to ourselves: Planet Coaster is where all the care and effort is going now anyway. ED has already had it's prime monetization and most people who would buy it already have a copy.

From here on out it's basically just going to be "distract the people who already have everything with more grind", more multicolor lasers in the cash shop and maybe in a few years "season 2" will actually be feature complete. Or completely forgotten about.

Let's not kid ourselves with being overly gloomy, David Braben has investors to satisfy, maybe even shareholders? I remember how Frontier had to basically go on their knees and apologize when season 2 got this huge delay in Spring. No way in hell will Frontier abandon their long-term plans for ED, they don't have Star Citizens' never-ending well of stupid people to sell .jpgs of ships to.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I thought that was general knowledge?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
They were in crunch time to get Planet Coaster out on time. It wouldn't surprise me that they shifted some Elite Dangerous developers over to the Planet Coaster team to help them out in the last moments.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

:same:

Indeed. He must be a secret '84er.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Get rid of commodities, good (should be permanent but whatever).
Rebalance, uuh that should be good but with FDev's track record it's gonna suck.
Nerf mission stacking, why, you loving morons... Yeah sure it's good design to arrive at a station, having like 5 missions available of which 4 are bullshit I can't or don't want to do or which aren't worth my time. Yes I will grind rep at <1%/mission one mission at a time. Same for ships and mods except it's gonna be far below 1% in reality. What a joke.
Reduce module resell values, loving :laffo:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Pilchenstein posted:

They also said they're making more changes to prevent mission stacking by changing modes and apparently on the Q&A stream last night Sandro said now that we've got module storage they might go back to not giving you full price when you sell modules (because obviously the tedious fuckers on the brown sea want that) and suggested only giving 50% of the cost back.

For a game that I really enjoy at times, they sure try their hardest to make me hate it.

(edit): Imagine the poor fuckers trying to do one of the ship rep grinds without stacking 20 missions at a time. It already takes forever

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The shareholder thing makes perfect sense, at least if Planet Coaster turns out to be where the money is. I can't help but think that Braben really did put his heart into Elite though, so I don't know if he'd just drop it.

What baffles me is that they're even talking about adjusting module rebuy costs. There are parts of the game that still need serious work, and the lead designer is busy changing this small cost ratio (and similar things) back and forth moth after month?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
The only thing that the mission stacking and module sell price hurts is the players who need the money.
People who have insane riches don't bother themselves with money anymore. It won't really effect them.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Unless they have explicitly promised a 3rd season I don't think they could justify making it to the shareholders if nobody buys the next season. If they remove board scumming I'd wager they lose well over half the player base that's left, which at this point isn't much.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star
Oh goddamnit that module sell price thing is really worrying. I only just started playing for real despite backing this thing way back and one thing I've enjoyed a great deal about it is my ability to do small incremental improvements. If I'm floating a spare few 100k I can improve my weapons slightly, making future missions easier, and I can sell them back to add a bit more improvement in a few hours.

If they're considering cutting it to 50% that doesn't just mean they're considering something that'd make the game a lot less fun for me, but more broadly that they fundamentally misunderstand the loop in the early game. I can't afford to waste hundreds of thousands of credits going C -> B -> A so I'd have to make do with prolly D or C level modules until I can afford As. Which means I'll be stuck flying a lovely ship while trying to claw the money for the top tier together. Which will take longer because I'm flying a lovely ship. I know there's a lot of negativity in here but truth be told I've been having a great time just messing around the galaxy and slowing getting my starter ship into good shape, the whole ramp up works pretty well as-is. Why they'd want to break it is beyond me.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
And these A-class components you worked so hard for will just represent a sunk loss when you upgrade to a better ship and have to do the module grind all over again.

Basically it will make it so no one will invest in their early game ships and actually have fun in the early-game. Instead they will just hate-grind out in E-class Sidewinders, Eagles, Vipers, and Cobras until they get at least to an Asp or something. Of course that just creates more incentive to find easy money exploits, further alienating people from early-game ships.

The current method is great because it encourages exploring different ship builds, knowing you can always get your money back if it didn't work out.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star

INTJ Mastermind posted:

And these A-class components you worked so hard for will just represent a sunk loss when you upgrade to a better ship and have to do the module grind all over again.

Basically it will make it so no one will invest in their early game ships and actually have fun in the early-game. Instead they will just hate-grind out in E-class Sidewinders, Eagles, Vipers, and Cobras until they get at least to an Asp or something. Of course that just creates more incentive to find easy money exploits, further alienating people from early-game ships.

The current method is great because it encourages exploring different ship builds, knowing you can always get your money back if it didn't work out.

Yeah exactly - I've tried a variety of weapon types and tend to pick up speculative changes when I come across them in stations (is a burst laser cooler than a continuously firing one? Let's pull out with a pair and see!) knowing I can always sell them back and move on.

It's such a core part of the early game experience I was sure it was a conscious design decision (as being able to sell back for 100% is slightly unintuitive compared to most games). To see it's basically an oversight or some weird patch on a previously unresolved issue is bizarre.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Dumb question, but after registering an account, is there a way to hide your name, or input a screen name?

EDIT: Never mind, you get the option on start-up.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 8, 2016

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Let's just be clear that the only people advocating any of this have already benefited fully from the current system, having tried every ship and module for free (probably also with beta access, where you can try such things completely risk-free).

I mean, it's not like any of the people who want these things will actually have to deal with the gameplay consequences of their implementation.

Oh well...thanks Sothis: fygm :byewhore:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I can't seem to beat the Advanced Combat Tutorial. I managed to beat the first ship on one attempt, but then I got taken out by the two ships that warp in after.

Does diverting power to Systems make your shields charge faster? If not, then is there a technique to dodging enemy attacks? Between this and the trouble I had trying to complete the docking tutorial, I'm sort of skeptical about how well I'll do in the main game.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

It increases the amount of damage the shields can absorb by a multiplier, so if you are taking fire always have full power to shields. Also don't worry too much about the combat tutorials some of them are really hard and the main game is easier. Just get down how to dock and navigate and the rest should come eventually.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Max Wilco posted:

I can't seem to beat the Advanced Combat Tutorial. I managed to beat the first ship on one attempt, but then I got taken out by the two ships that warp in after.

Does diverting power to Systems make your shields charge faster? If not, then is there a technique to dodging enemy attacks? Between this and the trouble I had trying to complete the docking tutorial, I'm sort of skeptical about how well I'll do in the main game.

I heard Kirk beat it, but he cheated...

Seriously though, the combat tutorial is impossible. Just jump into the game: worst thing that happens is you die and respawn in the same ship! :black101:

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I heard Kirk beat it, but he cheated...

Seriously though, the combat tutorial is impossible. Just jump into the game: worst thing that happens is you die and respawn in the same ship! :black101:

I almost beat the current one once, but I don't have enough brain damage to keep trying it. Just not worth it.

And I definitely beat the old one back when the game was in open beta.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
All that needs happen is for Frontier to sell a "season 3 concept DLC pre order" that comes with a variety of different not yet implemented ships depending on your pricing tier and the circle will be complete.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm never going to stop slagging videogames in general or questionable design decisions but at least murdering NPC jerks who try interdicting my FDL never gets old.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
How is this happening!

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit
FYI for peeps with beta access who may not be aware:

If you load into the Guardians beta and start a new save, you'll start with one billion credits at a (planetary) base where every ship/component is available for purchase and with an engineer who does every available mod for the asking price of one fish per roll.

As someone who can't put a lot of time into the game, this is a great way to check out ships I'll likely never own in the live game. At least not while I can play only a few hours/week. So far I've tried a fully maxed/engineered out Imperial Clipper and Python.

Question: as I play this almost exclusively in VR; which ships have the best looking interiors?

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

TheKeeper posted:

Question: as I play this almost exclusively in VR; which ships have the best looking interiors?

Of the ones I've used, I like the Courier the best. The Python is also pretty dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Elite: Dangerous coming to the PS4 Q2 2017: https://community.elitedangerous.com/ps4announcement

Wonder if that will include support for Sony's VR headset (I would hope so)?

• Locked thread