Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
The squirrel's teeth are crooked. When you first see him and his mouth is open, they slant \-ways.

There are ways to write convincing fiction without ever being in a situation. But usually those rely on going for more... how to put it... Primal things and generalities rather than the specifics. Partly because a writer's top priority is to keep things relatable to the audience

For example, if I was writing submarine stuff, I could go talk to submarine people all day up and down, but after a certain point it all becomes lingo and technology that would make most people's eyes glaze over. Gaskets is a word that stops sounding like a word very quickly.

Instead, I'd focus on the aspect of it being a tiny pill shaped box everyone is cramped into, and that all interactions with the outside world have to be done through mechanisms that could break any second with now way to repair them. It's a tenuous situation at best. It's claustrophobic, cramped, and you'll either die by suffocation, drowning, being crushed, or by sudden explosion at any second. And the information you have about your immediate surroundings is vague at best. That's something anyone can understand, and it's why most successful submarine films and movies play exactly this up.

I'd also love to watch these characters try (and fail) to run a successful submarine mission.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Just steal stories from the Navy's funny pages. :v:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Blarghalt posted:

Also, why are they called Teddy Bears in this game? Was Teddy Roosevelt a bear? What species is Obama? My god, what species is Trump?
loving duh, you and the game and everyone else already called it out:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Okay, since the maid cafe choice was one of two major divergent paths in the entire game, I feel like it's necessary to show this scene. Not because this needs to be a completionist LP, but because this scene is so god drat dumb, it has to be seen to be believed.

I've looked at pictures before. Seen things online. But like with anything else – pictures don't suffice.

Well, what do you think?

It's stunning! I almost don't believe it. It's prettier than I could've ever imagined. So, where's this Maid Cafe? I've been dreaming about this for years.

Don't worry, it's not much farther. And I guess I can open up to you now. No need for secrets between the three of us. We're going to 'Cafe Chat'. It's a popular joint around here. Run by a bubbly girl named Eclair.

Are you serious, Jade? That's the one I heard about online. It's supposed to have a wait time of months!

Yes, but remember who you are. Exceptions can be made here and there. Especially for the prestigious "lucky two". Trust me -- I don't stop at the basics. I was able to get you a session with Eclair. That's right, the number one maid in Tokyo.

You've gotta be kidding me!

Whoa, calm down. I think I felt the Earth shake a little.

I'm certainly not kidding. You know my humor is top-notch. You'd be able to tell if I was joking.

Hey -- that's actually a good one, Jade. Even if it wasn't intentional.

By all means -- lead the way. I'm trying so hard not to freak out!

At this point, I'd just like to point out how many god drat em-dashes are in this script. For some reasons, the dev just loves abusing the hell out of that piece of punctuation, even though it's visually clunky and really should only be used when a sentence has an excess of commas. But we're just going to have to suffer with a script that uses them interchangeably with commas on a regular basis.

Not so fast, Kila. I have to go. Rook will be taking it from here, alright? He knows this area a little better than me. I have business to attend to elsewhere. I need to get Inumi back safely as well. Sorry I can't join you. Maybe next time.

No apology necessary!

Jade retreats back into the limo and slowly drives away. She was certainly a treat. A nice middle ground. Not as spazzy as Kila and not as insensitive as Rook. I liked her. Hopefully I'd get to see her again.

The most personality that the dev could give to Jade was “not as unpleasant as these other two chucklefucks”. Also, in what world are “spazzy” and “insensitive” the poles of any axis?

I do have to give him credit, though. He's still able to lead us exactly where we need to go. I could never walk and use a tablet at the same time. It takes ability to multitask so efficiently.

So, what is Eclair like...?

I don't know. I've never been.

Well, you seem to know exactly where it is. You sure you're not hiding anything, Rook?

I said I've never been. It's called GPS, Kila. Think I'm chatting on here or something?

Honestly, if I were in Rook's position, yeah I'd be texting all my friends nonstop about this creepy idiot rear end in a top hat who's dragging me to an establishment that caters emotionally broken men who can't muster the guts to hire a prostitute.

Oh, sorry...

And when we get there, I'm not going in. I'll wait around outside until you're done. I'll watch paint dry. It'll be more fun. I wouldn't be caught dead in that place. Either way - I hope you enjoy. It does take a certain level of immaturity.

I wish I could like Rook more for being so openly critical of Kila for being into this sort of thing. But I can't.

Hey -- that's rude!

Don't talk to me about rude, Kila. Especially after deciding where to go. You didn't even think to ask for my input!

Well yeah, because neither of the characters in question had even met Rook yet.

Whatever.

Before the conversation can continue, Rook stops. He points to a colorful shop just a few steps away.

It's over there. Go and have fun. Just don't drag me into your business. And don't take forever, alright? We have to get back to the hotel tonight. I'll be waiting for you two over there.

He points to an installation of benches nearby. He really seemed to have a grudge against this place.

Oh -- and do me one favor, please. Don't mention my name to Eclair. I'll owe you big time if you do this.

Wait a second. Eclair knows you?

I'm leaving now.! Goodbye.

Before a moment passes, Rook is gone. Almost as if he vanished into the shadows. With nothing else to do, we walk towards the building. And after a pause -- we enter the legendary Cafe Chat.

I'd just like to drop a footnote here between scenes about how much of a pain in the rear end it is to actually make these updates. You know how there's a writing exercise to simply transcribe one of your favorite passages in a book, to get a physical feel of what it's like to write that well? Well, I refuse to transcribe the text of this game for the inverse reason. As a result, I have to pry the script of this game out of javascript files, and holy moly it sucks. It's like this game is flipping me off even when I'm doing my damnedest to make a farce out of it.

oh good god what is that thing

Oh, hey. We're here to see Eclair.

He's nervously staring at the floor. Almost like he's scared to face the Maid Cafe. Well -- he did say this was one of his dreams. I'm sure he's just a little overwhelmed.

A guy who patronizes maid cafes is scared to talk to women? Color me grey and neon blue, because I'm shocked.

Oh -- It's you two! I've been waiting for you! It's me, I'm Eclair!

Oh right, so I was loving around with modding the art assets and kind of succeeded beyond my wildest dreams. I always forget that GIMP's color to alpha works really poorly if the background is pure white or pure black, but gently caress it, this game doesn't deserve the effort I've already put into it.

I thought Kila knew all about this place? How did he not immediately recognize Eclair?

Quick -- come take a seat. No need to delay this any further! You two must be really special. Not many people can just "walk in" here. Are you celebrities of some sort?

So uh, remember how not too long ago, in the limo, Rook was teaching Kila and the narrator Japanese?It's established that language barriers are a thing in this alternate furry world. How is it that Eclair, the #1 hostess in Tokyo speaks god drat perfect English (or Portuguese or Hakka or Farsi or whatever god drat language they're ostensibly speaking)?

Probably better if we don't tell her. I don't want to break that NDA again. She leads us over to a three person booth. One side has one chair -- and the other has two. She takes a seat on the side with one chair. This leaves Kila and myself able to sit together. She glances at us piercingly. Like she's trying to figure out what to do with us.

A glance is a brief, unfocused look, whereas for something to be piercing it needs to be focused. It really bothers me that the dev tries to cram in fancy words like “portend” when simple words like these two are being fumbled so badly.

Quiz time!

Kila's eyes beam with happiness. Like all of his dreams are coming true at once.

Ah yes, paying a woman to be nice to you and ask your trivia, the dream of any man.

Let's think of something fun... Oh -- I have a good question. Why are there only three chairs here?

I look at Kila in confusion. How were we supposed to know this?

You didn't expect this psuedo-CYOA to allow you to even attempt to answer quiz questions, did you?

Time's up! Now -- you learn! The number four is considered bad luck! Like the number thirteen in the west. It's usually skipped when it can be. But the explanation lies in Japanese. The number four can be pronounced "shi". It's like the same as saying "death"!

Actually, this is true in like eight different languages, but given the tone of this game so far, I'm fairly confident that there will be no acknowledging any culture other than Glorious Nippon.

She smiles and giggles at us. After saying "death". You have to admire her enthusiasm at almost everything.

Come on, narrator. You can't seriously be spooked by just the word “death”.

Well, there's also another reason! From above, the booths look like cat paws! That's why we call ourselves Cafe Chat! That's French for cat! Look at you two -- learning.

That's definitely a better explanation. I hope she uses that one in the future.

Yo, hold up.

Please explain to me how to arrange a table and three chairs to even remotely resemble that.

I was worried that talking about death would scare Kila. But I look at him -- and he displays pure jubilation.

Since we were discussing writing technique earlier in the thread, it's pertinent to bring up “show don't tell”. Most of you are probably familiar with the idea, but this is a prime example. The writing just tells us that Kila is jubilant instead describing any behavior that actually expresses happiness. This gets especially bad when you're interacted with more than two people in your entire life and realize that different people express happiness differently. If you've felt that the writing in this game is wooden but couldn't put your finger on why, it's because the writing adheres to “tell don't show” like it's god drat constitutional law. From start to end, the writing is going to repeatedly force-feed the audience emotions without ever actually displaying any from the characters, and god drat you are going to grow to hate it.

Wow -- you're so smart! What else can you tell us?

Kila's bar for smart is 1. knowing two words in foreign languages (except one shouldn't actually be a foreign language), and 2. knowing a local superstition. Come on, raise your standards just a tiny bit.

Let's move on to another question! I have so many tricks up my sleeve.

Sweet -- I'm ready!

Let's do something a little easier. Do you have any idea why I'm named Eclair?

Oh, that's easy! You're really sweet! Just like the pastry you're named after.

:barf:

Wrong!! It's because I'm really quick!

Before I can even notice, plates appear on the table. Like some sort of magic trick -- she really is fast!

Now this would have been a smart place to put in a piece of artwork to demonstrate Eclair's magic trick. But gently caress using your revenue to reinvest in your product, right?

Quick like lightning! The true meaning of the word "Eclair"! It's also French -- if you were wondering.

She winks and then points to the plates before her. They're layered with Onigiri -- or rice balls.

Why does this script insist on capitalizing Random Japanese Stuff?

Alright -- time for a real challenge. I've been holding back this question! Final round, commence...!

Can somebody explain to me what a ellipse followed by an exclamation point is supposed to sound like? One indicates a voice trailing off, and the other indicates a voice ending in excitement. They're mutually exclusive. Why would anyone put them together? (Don't answer that; we all already know the answer).

Rook refused to come in, didn't he?

OH poo poo THE DRAMA

I should note that if we skip the maid cafe, we never meet Eclair at all and this plot line is never touched on. Also, if we do visit the maid cafe, we are locked out of the true ending. Ace game design there, Major\Minor.

What...?

Guess he said not to mention him, right? Typical Rook -- as stubborn as ever. I know who you two are. Jade told me.

So, you two -do- know each other!

He didn't even tell you that much...?

He seemed to hate the idea of Maid Cafes. He was just so suspicious!

Well, that wasn't always the case. In fact -- we used to be partners. Though such a time has long since passed.

Let's all stop, take a deep breath, and reflect on just how lovely that last sentence was and how nobody in real life would ever say it out loud.

a Whoa, that's heavy. What happened? Why did you two fall out like that...?

This one deserves to be posted as a screenshot just to show how disgusting it is.

Also, Eclair gets a new pose. That's right, the only character in the game with a third pose is completely optional. Also, jesus she looks like a melting mutant peep.

A tear drips down her cheek.

Even the call from Jade was so sudden. It totally threw off my groove! I tried to remain calm when I saw you two. But I was fighting back tears all along! I guess this all just got the better of me. Please -- excuse me! I have to go...!

She runs away without another word, covering her face. I'm really clueless.! Was coming here a bad idea...? It seemed we just made her relive traumatic memories. If that's the case -- I feel horrible right now.

Should we leave...? I really don't know what to do. This isn't what I expected at all!

The game very obviously wants you to follow her and in fact I think you gain nothing from dodging her.

I tell Kila that I'll go talk to her. He should go outside and tell Rook I'll be right there. It seems like nothing today has gone as expected. But I can't just leave her alone like that -- crying.

Alright. I guess that's for the best. Shouldn't leave either side hanging. I'll see you outside when you're done.

Kila runs outside, and I quickly look around. When I look where Eclair went -- I see a big door. It has a cartoon painting of a cat's paw print on it. I'm going to bet that this is her office. I decide to walk over to it, and I slowly enter. Just hoping that I can fix what happened here today.

There's another scene to this and whoa buddy does the stupid ever escalate, but Blarghalt stopped his update before the parallel scene in the arcade and writing this update caused me physical pain so I'll leave it for another time.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I was not expecting that. :golfclap:

Should have replaced Eclair's little dialog portrait too.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Okay so aside from the author being a huge weeb about Japan so far there is pretty much no reason this game takes place there so far. Not even the names of the characters would imply that this is in Japan.

Hell, the whole comment on arcades being dead and how Arcadia is a big arcade but everything is busted and broken down would make way more sense if this was in US, what with Japan having multiple multi-floor arcades filled with practically every machine. You don't even need to go to Akihabara to find these massive arcades (of which it has many). You can find A-cho in Kyoto, and that place is absurdly massive. Also part of the reason arcades didn't die out in Japan, outside of them being seen by the US government as dens of drug dealers, is because of Japans more centralized nature. Coupled with their focus on public transport through trains it makes it super easy for people to just decide to take a trip to their nearest arcade and just hang out for the day with friends that may live super far away.

Also holy poo poo, I actually physically reeled back when Eclair popped up.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I have the strongest loving urge to LP Fading Hearts after this despite the fact I swore off VN LPs. FH as a chaser to this poo poo would give the LP forum a stroke.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

inthesto posted:

I'd just like to drop a footnote here between scenes about how much of a pain in the rear end it is to actually make these updates. You know how there's a writing exercise to simply transcribe one of your favorite passages in a book, to get a physical feel of what it's like to write that well? Well, I refuse to transcribe the text of this game for the inverse reason. As a result, I have to pry the script of this game out of javascript files, and holy moly it sucks. It's like this game is flipping me off even when I'm doing my damnedest to make a farce out of it.
Stone the crows! RPG Maker supports something other than Ruby now? I had no idea.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Being in Klace's inner circle sure opens doors in Tokyo, even though it also puts you under suspicion for magical murders I guess?

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

I don't know if this is genius or if this LP has already driven you insane.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Blarghalt posted:

I don't know if this is genius or if this LP has already driven you insane.

There is a very thin line between the two :v:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

SSNeoman posted:

I have the strongest loving urge to LP Fading Hearts after this despite the fact I swore off VN LPs. FH as a chaser to this poo poo would give the LP forum a stroke.

I'm not seeing any downsides here.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Never heard of Fading Hearts, and am not willing to Google it- what's its baggage?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Having had no idea what Fading Hearts was, and having just now googled it: ooooh dear god. :stare:

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I'm not googling in-depth, but it does come with the hilarious listed feature "Almost EVERY NPC LIES to you at some point in the game!"

Wow! I fuckin love being lied to, better pony up that $15.

Edit: a Steam review is titled "The 'Birdemic' of visual novel games." :parrot:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rabies McFutts is a sensitive and compassionate soul.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Having had no idea what Fading Hearts was, and having just now googled it: ooooh dear god. :stare:

I did too and hoooooly poo poo.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

I'm dying over here. Only more so because if I had to choose a single picture to summarize this game from everything so far, it'd be this one.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Jade. Seriously. Why did you take us here?

Hey there. Didn't expect you so soon. Sorry for not being ready to receive you.

I tell her that it's fine, and that Rook is busy. So I decided to come and see her while I waited. I ask her what he [sic] wanted to show me in private.

Kila's also probably seeing if he can try to install nude mods on the machines, so here we are.

Well, actually -- I have a [sic, again] some questions. But they might seem a little odd at first. So if you're open, please bear with me.

She takes a deep breath before speaking. And surely enough -- her question is odd.

:yikes:

I don't know what to say. I just stare at her dumbfoundedly. What kind of question is that...?

Let's say I flip a coin. And let's say it lands on heads. Do you believe there are other realities? For example -- where it landed on tails?

Are people just naturally inclined towards asking Rabies weird rear end questions?

I'll take that silence as a no. Well, allow me to continue. What if I flip it and hide the outcome? This is where it gets really interesting.

You do realize that by and large quantum mechanics just deals with the physics of the very, very small and doesn't really have anything to do with alternate realities, right?

Until the result is revealed...? We exist in both realities at once. The heads reality -- and the tails reality.

Good god I wouldn't put it past Klace that he learned physics from anime.

This proves the existence of more realities. We're able to place ourselves at an "apex". An apex being like a fork in the road.

Please stop the car, I want to get out

But there is much more at play here. These two possibilities spawn infinite ones. We can use this to predict other realities.

All much better realities than the ones where I decided to play this game!

Jade, you're an anti-scientist.

Nice humblebrag. Also, what kind of awards? Ones that you invented yourself don't count.

You must think this is all really weird. "People can win awards for that...?" Well sure they can -- it's like fiction.

You only need a logical consistency. But that's part of why I love all this. It's all theory with no practice.

It's a pretty scary thought that Jade's ramblings are actually taken seriously in this world.

I blink a few times, at a loss for words.

Promises are meant to be kept, Jade. :catstare:

She moves to her desk and sits down. I decide to sit down in the chair in front of her. She scatters a few papers across her desk.

Are we sure the Midnight Deaths isn't the city coroner just being really lazy?

"Yeah sure they all died at midnight dook dook dook dook"

I really don't need to know about your weird kinks, Jade.

I'm pretty sure Kila has a better grasp over quantum mechanics than you do.

Wouldn't this article be in Japanese?

This one here. He was shot to death. But there was no gun found in the area. And not even any evidence of a gunshot.

"And no evidence of death, either. He's still alive. There aren't any Midnight Deaths at all. Where am I?"

It keeps getting weirder, my friend. Look here - at the next victim.

She places another newspaper clipping in front of me.

This man hung himself. But there was no noose found. Just the wounds from a rope around his neck.

So? Someone getting murdered via hanging isn't totally unprecedented.

You know, most people's logical conclusion would be that the Tokyo Police just really half-assed their investigations.

That really didn't make sense. Well for the murder -- the corpse could've been moved. But for the suicide? That's where it gets tricky. You can't move after you're dead.

And there's another incident, here...One that I find incredibly interesting. Someone who "survived" the The Midnight Deaths.

He reported loss of breath. Like he was being strangled to death. But it suddenly stopped, and he lived. It matches the other hanging victim. No noose -- and he didn't even own a rope. But this is where it gets really scary.

His neck was injured. Markings all around. Just like the other victims -- but he lived. Everything else matches up perfectly. This man gave a very detailed testimony. I want to use that to help free Klace. He shouldn't be under any sort of suspicion.

Here's how to rule out Klace as a suspect: was the attacker wearing pants?

I know these deaths started as we arrived. But he doesn't deserve any flak for this! I've been using his testimony to theorize. I just need to come up with something...Even if it seems very incredible in nature. One explanation is better than none at all.

Jade please do the world a favor and never become a cop.

The kid doesn't deserve to be blamed...This is all completely out of his control. And the survivor made no mention of Klace.

People's reactions will probably be something like

:v: Jade? Isn't she the lady who drags people to busted-rear end arcades and tries to talk to them about quantum physics? And she's trying to solve a murder?

The man who survived...He explained a very peculiar feeling. Something that happened during all of this.

His mind was overtaken with memories. But these memories didn't belong to him. Well they did -- but not the -same- him.

Now you know why I explained my theory. I wanted to relate it to his experience. And by extension -- all of these deaths.

These memories that took over his mind? I think they were from another reality. It'll make sense if I explain a little more.

:allears: Please. I want you to usurp Johnny Five-Aces in terms of explaining dumb physics poo poo.

Infinitely more plausible explanation: dude was strangling himself to get off and had oxygen-derprived hallucinations, then tried to play it off like he got attacked.

It would align with his testimony. If someone is dead in the other reality? Then maybe they die in this one, too.

I know it doesn't explain anything. But I used the testimony that was given. It explains how no evidence was left behind.

Again, how do people know these are happening at midnight?

Sorry for going on a tangent, there. What do you have to say about all this?

I tell her that it makes absolutely no sense. But at the same time -- it makes perfect sense as well.

Sounds like what I deal with every day. There's so many thought experiments...You can lose yourself in them easily.

So to recap: Jade called us up to her office, wrongly explained quantum physics, then used one guy's testimony as proof that the cause of the murders are realities colliding.

This is really the first part of the game where you really start to know you're in for an adventure. There's more physical "theories" like the one Jade just spouted at us, and they're all as every bit as stupid.

I know it doesn't make much sense. But it also can't be proven wrong. That's why I find it so interesting.

Here's how to prove it wrong:

Jade: Are the murders caused by quantum physics?

Quantum physicist: No. Also, gently caress you.

Cut and dry!

Interesting was an understatement. She was right thought -- I couldn't prove her wrong. She had a logical line of thought, as odd as it was.

So that's what I wanted to talk about. I'm trying my hardest to save Klace. I don't want him under such scrutiny.

It affects you, as well. You still have to hide while you're here. There's a stigma attached to his name.

I want everybody to be free. I don't think either party enjoys this.

I thank her for her efforts. And for the interesting lesson, as well. As weird as her theories were -- she was sensible.

Here's another thing that's probably pretty obvious: Rabies McFutts, as a character, is dumb as a bag of acorns. More often than not he just accepts at face value what anyone says, and seems to lack even basic knowledge that a six year-old would know.

Are you a garbagewoman, Jade? Because you threw away precious time. :argh:

She takes out her phone and places it on the table.

I'll be in touch if anything changes. Don't worry -- I won't spam you.

You mean like how you just did?

Maybe she'll call me about the SEVERAL AWARDS she's won! :v:

Why can't I just ditch them both and be free from this furry hell?

Blarghalt fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 20, 2017

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Blarghalt posted:

Why can't I just ditch them both and be free from this furry hell?

If you really wanted to Escape, maybe you should have named yourself Zero.

Misused quantum physics works much better when it's the villains who believe and/or take advantage of it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Blarghalt posted:

I blink a few times, at a loss for words.

Our hero, ladies and gentlemen.

I'm giving nothing away by saying that this is pretty much how Rabies becomes the savior of the world: by staring blankly when people ask him bizarre rambling questions.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also: "He didn't even own a rope"

WELL THEN CASE CLOSED

gently caress

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
So, in tonight's edition of "Previous Major\Minor Drafts":

The old version made it clear that Jade has an advanced degree, but somehow has been reduced to being a limo driver who sleeps in the back of a dirty arcade. Which, now that I say it out loud, is probably closer to reality than the dev realized.

New version makes it sound like Jade got her award from Infowars.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Tiger Trump vs the Immortal King Velasquez would be a whole story on its own.

Midnight deaths would be a whole story on its own.

Winning a contest to hang out with a pop idol('s groupies) would be a whole story on its own.

PICK A STORY AND GO WITH IT gently caress!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I SEE KLACE ALSO LIKES ZERO ESCAPE.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Psycho Mantis is reading your Amazon purchase history and making a game.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

The sad thing is that in another format, "parallel realities colliding, causing people to die in the way their alternate selves died" could be an interesting story hook.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Moon Slayer posted:

The sad thing is that in another format, "parallel realities colliding, causing people to die in the way their alternate selves died" could be an interesting story hook.

You mean like in a parallel universe where Major\Minor didn't suck?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Data Graham posted:

let's not get crazy here

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Data Graham posted:

No, that's a constant across the multiverse.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Why is Jade so concerned? Klace hasn't been formally accused yet, it's just rumors.

Though I'd appreciate to know why I give a poo poo to prove Klace's innocence besides "you really really like him in universe trust me"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Moon Slayer posted:

The first part of this was the driving force behind Marvel's big crossover event last year.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Waffleman_ posted:

I SEE KLACE ALSO LIKES ZERO ESCAPE.

One of the reasons why I wanted to see this game LPed here is so I could get a full breadth of the nerd media that was blatantly ripped off. I already know of five really popular games and TV shows that were copied wholesale, Persona 4 being the really obvious one off the bat.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Most video games aren't known for their energetic prose, but all of the conversations so far have just been so lifeless and charmless and most of all pointless. It's infuriating. The only time anything has actually happened was the Tiger Trump bit, which had problems of its own regarding logic and consistency, but at least something happened. At all other times, it's idiots talking about nothing in as roundabout a way as possible. I cannot believe how aggressively uninteresting these characters are. Weee, these animals can talk. Unfortunately, nothing they have to say is worth hearing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, little quantum mechanics/pseudoscience asides like this are a Zero Escape trademark.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
On the bright side of all this, the midnight quantum murder extravaganza means there's a good probability at least one of the characters is gonna die.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

:j: "My boss is under suspicion for murder. However, I've done some thought experiments and one victim didn't own any rope, so I've concluded that the people were actually murdered by a wizard from the future."
:v: "It's hard to believe, but I can't deny that her theory makes a lot of sense."

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

inthesto posted:

Can somebody explain to me what a ellipse followed by an exclamation point is supposed to sound like? One indicates a voice trailing off, and the other indicates a voice ending in excitement. They're mutually exclusive. Why would anyone put them together? (Don't answer that; we all already know the answer).

If you read that blatant misuse of punctuation as someone nodding off and then suddenly waking up, it... well, it doesn't make any more sense, but it does make the sentence funnier.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
If someone were to make you a trashcan with a transparent background and googly eyes, would you be willing to replace Kila's portrait with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

megane posted:

:j: "My boss is under suspicion for murder. However, I've done some thought experiments and one victim didn't own any rope, so I've concluded that the people were actually murdered by a wizard from the future."
:v: "It's hard to believe, but I can't deny that her theory makes a lot of sense."

You can't prove that wizard didn't come from the moon and/or a very incompetent sparkledog assassin's guild.

• Locked thread