Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cyrano4747 posted:

Man, the grid iron of all things has really clicked for me. I'm running 2 UAC5 in it with modules and really tearing poo poo up. I know it's just a crappier versoin of a 4G build, but it's good enough and I'm picking up some good c-bills with that 30% bouns

If you enjoy it, you're piloting the right mech regardless of what the meta is.

Unless it's an LRM boat of course. gently caress those people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

DancingShade posted:

If you enjoy it, you're piloting the right mech regardless of what the meta is.

Unless it's an LRM boat of course. gently caress those people.

Just think of the pubbies that are going to waste xp slots on the dumbest of things like LRM quirks

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TeeMerk posted:

Just think of the pubbies that are going to waste xp slots on the dumbest of things like LRM quirks

Nothing funnier than tracking down a dedicated LRM boat while using an autocannon and holding down fire as you chase them around the map.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I mean, come to think of it, that's a good point. Pubbie reaping will be a lot easier with Skill Tree Two: Electric Voodoo because you can't really gently caress up the current skill system or modules, you just complete the "tree" and then slot in the modules that match your weapons. Now that there will be wrong ways to do it, it'll be so much easier to kill the average player.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I hope there's skill trees that will help the night gyr be better at jumping, ppc shooting, and gauss shooting. That is exactly what that mech needs for a healthy meta environment.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Commoners posted:

I hope there's skill trees that will help the night gyr be better at jumping, ppc shooting, and gauss shooting. That is exactly what that mech needs for a healthy meta environment.

Structure quirks for the Kodiak.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Artificer posted:

Structure quirks for the Kodiak.

Autocannon quirks for the kodiak

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Claw quirks for the kodiak.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

The kodiak 3 and night gyr skill pages will open up and there will be text that says "This mech is already as good as it gets."

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I hope there is a skill tree that makes war horns louder for the other players.

^ and the skill tree for the Phoenix Hawk will be six pages long.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

the only thing i want from the new pilot trees is more unlockable decal slots.

pgi needs to raise the limit to like ten or more. really really.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

TeeMerk posted:

Man, you say that but a coordinated and dedicated LRM team will still own the poo poo out of others. We've been on the receiving and giving side of that enough times.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Jack2142 posted:

I still have too much money so I decided to buy an Orion because gently caress it I don't really care if it works.

Is it a -1VA? I hope for you it's a -1VA. That mech is a blast, and I'm still running it with only basics.

Last time I played I had the chance to 1v1 a splat-Cyclops in it. I got to shoot first and took off his left torso with one alpha, then his (now halved) alpha barely managed to strip my CT, then I took off his other torso with a second alpha and finished him off three seconds later. After that I was really open so I had to stay in cover and only got off a couple of other alphas on random targets of opportunity, but man that duel was more fun than any five other games combined.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Skoll posted:

Man, you say that but a coordinated and dedicated LRM team will still own the poo poo out of others. We've been on the receiving and giving side of that enough times.

The onus of dying to lrms is more on us being big old retards than it is any level of genius or gamesmanship coming from lrm users.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Commoners posted:

The onus of dying to lrms is more on us being big old retards than it is any level of genius or gamesmanship coming from lrm users.

Yeah buddy, I'mma put that down to you not being in drops with us on poo poo like Caustic when you're up against an actual good team running LRM heavy with NARC lights.

I know the :goonsay: is OMG LRMS ARE BAD AND SUCK but if you apply them intelligently, you will wreck the opposition.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If you apply urbanmechs efficiently you'll wreck people. Doesn't mean it's a great idea and definitely not a doctrine that should be taken up routinely.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

If you apply urbanmechs efficiently you'll wreck people. Doesn't mean it's a great idea and definitely not a doctrine that should be taken up routinely.

How many Urbie drops have you done with us, Dancing? :allears:

Cause those tend to work out 40/60.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm never on for those but I've done a few 50 ton rushes.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Centurion rushes are good and fun though. Urbie rushes have to compromise because of tonnage limits. While I admit urbies are good and fun, you have to have a specific build teamwide to make it competitive.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

aniviron posted:

Well, I heard an interesting thing lately. It was someone who cross referenced a list of NGNG's favourite mechs, the ones they were constantly begging to have in the game, and mechs that got released with super high mounts. Turned out to be a 1:1 match. Only mech that didn't match was the CPLT-K2 which was in the first set of mechs released, but lo and behold upon remodeling the low nose MG mounts become just as high as the PPCs.

I hope you share taste in mechs with Phil & Daeron.

NGNG?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

A bunch of MWO shills that try to say they speak for the MW/BT community. Before MWO came out it wasn't so bad but they've jumped hard on :pgi:'s dick since then and are pretty much payroll mouthpieces.

NGNG stands for No Guts, No Galaxy which is an episode from the Battletech cartoon.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Its the :foxnews: of mwo.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Also, the guys who own NGNG, whom are under contract to PGI, are and were douchebags before MWO even came out.

Like legit lovely holier than thou nerd fucktards.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Skoll posted:

Also, the guys who own NGNG, whom are under contract to PGI, are and were douchebags before MWO even came out.

Like legit lovely holier than thou nerd fucktards.

And they insisted they were not on PGIs payroll for years until one day PGI added them to the Employees group on their forums and it turns out yep, they were paid shills the whole time.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

NihilCredo posted:

Is it a -1VA? I hope for you it's a -1VA. That mech is a blast, and I'm still running it with only basics.

Last time I played I had the chance to 1v1 a splat-Cyclops in it. I got to shoot first and took off his left torso with one alpha, then his (now halved) alpha barely managed to strip my CT, then I took off his other torso with a second alpha and finished him off three seconds later. After that I was really open so I had to stay in cover and only got off a couple of other alphas on random targets of opportunity, but man that duel was more fun than any five other games combined.

I was going to buy the VA and accidentally bought the V so :shrug:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Skoll posted:

How many Urbie drops have you done with us, Dancing? :allears:

Cause those tend to work out 40/60.

Were you on when we ran ac20 urbies the other night?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

veedubfreak posted:

Were you on when we ran ac20 urbies the other night?

Nope, mostly because this game is bad and gay and I'm all do what I say, not what I do.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

hah, man, I took all the cbills I've been making on my dual UAC5 grid iron and bought a huchback 2 to see how stupid I can make this.

Goddamn UACs are broken in this game. Prime version, two UAC 10s in a single toros, corner poke all day every day murder everything.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
put 4 UAC/2s on a HBK-IIC

yeah, UAC/2s I know, but the thing is great at range and can pump out damage real quick

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Fair warning, shooting my legs my be hazardous to your health.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

yeah, UAC/2s I know, but the thing is great at range and can pump out damage real quick

Yeah, I'll try that eventually but right now I'm just cobbling together poo poo with what I have on hand. I already had the UAC10s sitting around and I"m saving up to buy a real engine for it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Pattonesque posted:

It can only carry around 600 damage worth of ammo though.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
What's the current meta look like?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

veedubfreak posted:

It can only carry around 600 damage worth of ammo though.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=367&l=469eeaccc14106bad28b38b8825e04ba3fa3dc33

this is the one I was thinking of -- that's more than 600, right? I can never remember how the damage/ammo gets divvied up in clan UACs

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Super 3 posted:

mid range

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=367&l=469eeaccc14106bad28b38b8825e04ba3fa3dc33

this is the one I was thinking of -- that's more than 600, right? I can never remember how the damage/ammo gets divvied up in clan UACs

960 by my math.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Super 3 posted:

Lots of Timber Wolves and Night Gyrs running around with some combination of 2 ERPPCs/Gauss or 2 Gauss/ERPPC. They're powerful jumpsnipers and can wreck your day but it's not quite as bad as the Bad Old Days

laservomit isn't nearly as powerful as it used to be. Large pulse lasers are excellent. Battlemasters and Banshees can load up with five of them for maximum mid-range poking.

dakka is very powerful. 4 UAC/10 or 2 UAC/10/2 UAC/5 Kodiak-3s are Best Mech. the new Dire Wolf hero can run 8 UAC/2s. The Night Gyr can run a lot of dakka, and several IS heavies/assaults load up on AC/5s and UAC/5s.

Brawling is risky but still powerful and fun. Lots of mediums can run full missile/flamer loadouts, some with an extra ballistic. Atlases, the Kodiak hero, and one Cyclops can brawl very well.

Lights got hit way hard by a curious re-size. SPL Arctic Cheetahs with ECM are probably pound-for-pound the best light now, although they aren't the murdergods they once were. Locusts -- either SPL, ML, or 1 LPL -- are very dangerous and tough to hit. The Spider with LPL/4 MG is legitimately scary. The new hero Kit Fox added high torso E mounts and has made that chassis somewhat dangerous. The rest -- particularly the Firestarter which is hilariously tall -- aren't worth it.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Sounds like hasn't shifted to far from when I played last. Any form of jump sniping can die in a loving fire though.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Awww the Jenner IIC really isn't worth it anymore? The missile brawler looked fun and I was considering getting them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Artificer posted:

Awww the Jenner IIC really isn't worth it anymore? The missile brawler looked fun and I was considering getting them.

those are still pretty decent. they're just a bit heftier now so you gotta be CAREFUL

• Locked thread