Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Expericast works on the whole party despite what the menu says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

air- posted:

Expericast works on the whole party despite what the menu says.

:eyepop:

That changes everything.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Holy poo poo the Memory Lane Pastry is the thing from Brotherhood! Closure! That was legit my one concern from it!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ROFL Octopus posted:

Ok so does expericast only have an effect on the caster, as it says in the menu? I've already accepted that Noctis is going to be higher level than the rest of the party but I don't want him to be that much higher.

Aside from what's been said, Noct will likely only end up being 1-2 levels higher; Chapter 13 doesn't give any experience so the only forced exp sections are from completion of main storyline quests.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Altissia is so cool, but holy hell the poor framerate.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

ApplesandOranges posted:

Aside from what's been said, Noct will likely only end up being 1-2 levels higher; Chapter 13 doesn't give any experience so the only forced exp sections are from completion of main storyline quests.

I thought this was pretty dumb, from like chapter 11 on you only maybe gain a level it seems whereas you can go do one dungeon and gain like twice the experience or more. You should level up a little more than that for finishing the game if they want you to be encouraged to go so endgame stuff afterwards.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Endgame question on a magitek engine spawn

has anyone else run into a MA-X Angelus-0 cuz holy gently caress, this thing is loving insane :stare:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

air- posted:

Endgame question on a magitek engine spawn

has anyone else run into a MA-X Angelus-0 cuz holy gently caress, this thing is loving insane :stare:

Apparently it has a very very low chance to drop the best accessory in the game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

MMD3 posted:

I thought this was pretty dumb, from like chapter 11 on you only maybe gain a level it seems whereas you can go do one dungeon and gain like twice the experience or more. You should level up a little more than that for finishing the game if they want you to be encouraged to go so endgame stuff afterwards.

You want to do all the dungeons first, which will probably bump you up to near 60 anyway. So after that it's just more of whether or not you want to really grind up for more health.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Terper posted:

Apparently it has a very very low chance to drop the best accessory in the game.

I had no idea that even existed and after getting utterly massacred... figures, it drat better have good drops. Everything I threw at it did nothing and was greeted with Invulnerable when I tried a summon.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Ok I just finished the game.

The ending quite literally saved it. Like the ending was actually really loving good.

The issue was everything leading up to it.

Square accidentally made good characters and didn't know how to use them, or we have bioshock infinite and chapters 9-13 are finktown on, except unlike infinite, FFXV reclaims some semblance of sense at the last moments

So some scattered typo laden thoughts.

-Leviathan on was pretty bad. The battle itself just wasn't very good. and then there's the weird "well no that you have basically lost the fight, let me actually give you the power to fight leviathan" thing luna does is like what?

-Blinding Ignis felt like they just needed something to tag on

-Ardyn suddenly goes from omnipresent dude carefully selecting things like chess, to "oh poo poo this game has been in development for a decade, lets just make it happen" and it's very jarring. He suddenly becomes super aggressive and they thought he was the joker apparently during chapter 13?

-Luna + Nocts relationship isn't very established. It came off as sister brother more than anything and having them interact at all between ages 5 and what was essentially their 20's would have helped a great deal

-Prompto's dlc better be loving fantastic because that plot twist added nothing, and was, just like Ignis' blindness but even more lame and just shoved in.

-If they had just fully explained that Noctis was aware of him needing to not exist, or die or whatever to make the world better, it'd sorta make sense? The fact that you don't get delivered that message clearly until chapter 15 and beyond is weird as gently caress

-If noct and luna realized they both had to die why'd they make these sort of plans (of course I'm talking once they realized the peace treaty wasn't a thing)

-Luna would have been so much stronger with something from, surprise, FFXIII, one of the few things from the XIII trilogy they DIDN'T use here, separate "parties" any more insight on luna and whatever she was up to would have made the plot echo clearer

- Chapter's 1-8 spent all there time making you feel like bros, chapter 9-13 spend all their time making you feel like you have lackies and you're a dickhead, ESPECIALLY considering how easy the "hidden" scenes are to get. Everytime I tried to walk up to the party to make everything better, or just talk to my friends I've been camping with for the last 50 hours, they just grunted and looked away, but end chapter 13 it's all good again and 10 years later after being together for an hour before that, were even closer.

-Chapter 13's first half may as well be called the worst parts of FFXIII, the jump "scares" are retarded because you can't react. They all have red eyes, so you can see them coming and not do anything to in advanced, they will grab you regardless.

-The level design was horrendous. The room used for the boss fight against half of luna's brother, is used earlier with winding paths and elevators. But guess what, the first time in? you don't even need to enter the room all the way, where they put all the enemies.

-Why the gently caress would I hide? Why the gently caress is the chapter so long?

Like the game is great overall. it still needs probably better side-quests and the story is super rough for a very obvious patch of the game. (9-13)

There are a lot of questionable decisions, and what I've typed above aren't even all I have to say. And what's cool/weird is even with the giant block of complaints, I'd still say it was one of the my favorite games this year.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Dec 8, 2016

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Terper posted:

Yeah, but why would you need to get them from there when you can just buy towels for 6000z anyway?

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

So silly question considering I've beat the game. (still post game stuff though)

Can you focus your magic or is it always going to target the party and make them shiver, drop, burn etc?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The Final Fantasy 14 soundtrack is really good, drat.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

RatHat posted:

The Final Fantasy 14 soundtrack is really good, drat.

Assuming you didn't mean to type 15, 14 has unironically the best soundtrack in the series. 15's is good too though.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I want a top quality MP3 or FLAC of that third combat theme, whatever plays during fights in the third area of Eos. So good.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Failboattootoot posted:

Assuming you didn't mean to type 15, 14 has unironically the best soundtrack in the series. 15's is good too though.

Yeah I meant 14. The stuff on the soundtrack in the game is really good.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
OH MY GOD

warp striked through the floor in costlemark, fell out of the map, got transported to the entrance. gently caress.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Terper posted:

He's the betrayer to the Six who originally brought forth the Starscourge during the time of Solheim. He's a bigger deal than even Ardyn.

Thank gosh for supplementary character guides. Did you also know Verstael is Prompto's dad? What a card!

oh what the dick at the first part of this

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

RatHat posted:

Yeah I meant 14. The stuff on the soundtrack in the game is really good.

if you think that, look up the rest of the OST because I was super bummed with how weak the 14 song choices were

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms1_fL1eJ-o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IiOzi05IlA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T1k-9UvdlU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

So I marathoned the game over the last few days, and I really, really enjoyed it. I've not liked a FF title like this since 8 I guess. The bromance stuff really grew on me.

The ending was actually really touching, even though I STILL hate these kinds of endings. When I'm playing video games I want happy endings, if I want tragic or bitter-sweet I'd rather watch movies or books. :/ I guess I'll just prefer to believe that the very last scene is the "real" ending. Overall the story was a bit of a mess, like most people here already mentioned. Motivations sometimes made no sense, important characters were never fleshed out, and a lot of stuff felt weirdly disjointed. Also chaoter 13 can suck a dick, I absolutely loathed it. The cheap mechanic of taking away core game mechanics to "mix it up" is just lazy.

What suprised me was how much fun a lot of the side-quests were. In final fantasy games I was always mostly annoyed at all the side stuff, but in XV hunting, fishing, mining and what have you actually got you satisfying benefits.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SectumSempra posted:

-Luna + Nocts relationship isn't very established. It came off as sister brother more than anything and having them interact at all between ages 5 and what was essentially their 20's would have helped a great deal

-Prompto's dlc better be loving fantastic because that plot twist added nothing, and was, just like Ignis' blindness but even more lame and just shoved in.

-If they had just fully explained that Noctis was aware of him needing to not exist, or die or whatever to make the world better, it'd sorta make sense? The fact that you don't get delivered that message clearly until chapter 15 and beyond is weird as gently caress

-If noct and luna realized they both had to die why'd they make these sort of plans (of course I'm talking once they realized the peace treaty wasn't a thing)

Noctis isn't even aware of Ardyn's existence at the start of the game. And it's kinda despair-inducing to be told 'okay you're being groomed to die to kill someone you've never met'.

Luna didn't need to die, that's one part that wasn't necessary. She just needed to awaken all the guardians, get Noct to the crystal and let him do his thing. Ardyn just killed her to bring about the World of Ruin.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
actually this is the best ff14/final fantasy song, and should have played during the titan fight, or something, i don't know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdV_bzJgRxE

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Noctis isn't even aware of Ardyn's existence at the start of the game. And it's kinda despair-inducing to be told 'okay you're being groomed to die to kill someone you've never met'.

Luna didn't need to die, that's one part that wasn't necessary. She just needed to awaken all the guardians, get Noct to the crystal and let him do his thing. Ardyn just killed her to bring about the World of Ruin.

Basically the more i read post story the more things seem shifty.

https://forum.finalfantasyxv.com/discussion/22158/heavy-spoilers-the-truth-about-ardyn-and-luna

those 3 posts are why I think Luna knew she was dying, pre guardian, and why that scene about her body failing seems odd.
but he did the same thing and became immortal more or less?

it's despair inducing, but would make sense because noct is literally always despairing, in fact, it makes even more sense on why he was so reluctant to become king and makes the whole 'i've made my peace" line at the end so much more striking.

I dunno i still have more to look up on luna so i'll piece this together eventually.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
The game could really, really have used bro out moments with each of your boys in the world of ruin. Like someone said above the game spends too long with everyone being pissy at each other and too short a time with them making up in Nifflheim before Noctis gets sealed away.

That said I really liked the section where Gladio is pissed off, Ignis is bitter and Prompto is trying a bit too hard to stay positive. Any road trip or long, stressed out period of time with people, there's always tension after a while. Because the game focused so much on the relationship with the boy band too, that tension communicated the danger, difficulty etc of their mission more effectively than any of the dead gods or burning city sky boxes did.

Overall the more I play this the more the flaws stand out, cruising around the world doing side quests for example is much less engaging without the constant chatter of the lads, but it's still a good Final Fantasy and more importantly interesting game. They've done something new in video games with the road trip here.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

ImpAtom posted:

FFXV makes me realize how much I've come to depend on Detective Vision-alikes to find small annoying things in games. This is not a flaw of detective visions.

I'm playing this directly after playing Tomb Raider, which has R3 click for a detective vision style sonar ping. A dozen hours in, I'm still constantly hitting it and swearing at the screen when it brings up the map instead.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

SectumSempra posted:

So silly question considering I've beat the game. (still post game stuff though)

Can you focus your magic or is it always going to target the party and make them shiver, drop, burn etc?
Nope. Friendly fire is always on. :( Personally I wonder what the hell they were thinking making it a thing in the first place. Between that, the wonky aiming mechanics, and the cooldown, it's basically only good for opening shots or just after a regroup so far I've found.

Makes it even worse when they go charging in to hit dudes, and they step in whatever poo poo you just threw.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
honestly it's not really that big of a deal, it doesn't do much damage to them at all. the worst is using blizzard or thunder, fire basically doesnt do anything to anyone. the CC effect is the worst part

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Honestly I think the only reason friendly fire is turned on is to stop you magic nuking every encounter.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

And also because it sells magic as a realistic, physical thing, while emphasizing the vulnerability of the characters.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I was hoping to upgrade my dudes to be like the guys in Kingsglaive at some point. Prompto even whines once about how he can't warp.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
This loving game....

Took me about 3 hours to get through the Costlemark dungeon. Got the super cool end game mega sword from the boss, exited the dungeon, killed some centipedes with it, and the game crashed.

Earliest save was when I started the dungeon initially...

Any suggestions for wrecking house and getting through this thing again as fast as possible? Apparently there's a way you only have to fight 1 red giant instead of constantly getting dropped in the huge mob room and having to fight 2 red giants + mobs?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Some of the bugs in this game suck. If you google Costlemark Tower or whatever you can find guides that give you a rough order of operations for the block puzzle so that you don't have to do the multiple red giant fight. Also if you don't wanna stress you can put it on Easy mode which AFAIK makes it impossible to die? You already know you can beat it without cheating.

Some of the bugs own, tho. I just got one where I was doing a quest on the far west of the map and the camera pulled out at a thousand miles an hour and panned across a bunch of untextured terrain and I assumed it was crashing, but it turns out Aranea was just airdropping in to help on the complete opposite end of the world.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

wizard on a water slide posted:

Some of the bugs in this game suck. If you google Costlemark Tower or whatever you can find guides that give you a rough order of operations for the block puzzle so that you don't have to do the multiple red giant fight. Also if you don't wanna stress you can put it on Easy mode which AFAIK makes it impossible to die? You already know you can beat it without cheating.

Some of the bugs own, tho. I just got one where I was doing a quest on the far west of the map and the camera pulled out at a thousand miles an hour and panned across a bunch of untextured terrain and I assumed it was crashing, but it turns out Aranea was just airdropping in to help on the complete opposite end of the world.

Speaking of, I'm wondering if the "More playable characters" will purely be for the open world parts of the game (like Cor and Iris just joining permanently rather than for their bits) or also for the game going forward. Because I think there'd have to be a lot of reworking for the former.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Onmi posted:

Speaking of, I'm wondering if the "More playable characters" will purely be for the open world parts of the game (like Cor and Iris just joining permanently rather than for their bits) or also for the game going forward. Because I think there'd have to be a lot of reworking for the former.

You mean the latter? Because it'd be easier just to have Cor/Iris join you on your wacky roadtrip segments. Having a character like Cor show up near the end of the game would require a lot of adjustments especially since he pretty much disappears after Chapter 10 anyway.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
It's a nice little touch that when young Noctis summons Shiva he's shivering and hunched around the ice maidens, but when old Noctis summons Shiva he just stands tall and isn't bothered.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Vitamin P posted:

It's a nice little touch that when young Noctis summons Shiva he's shivering and hunched around the ice maidens, but when old Noctis summons Shiva he just stands tall and isn't bothered.

Well... Regis told him to Walk Tall

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

I'll keep this short.

gently caress Costlemark Tower.

gently caress Dino.

3 Red Giants and a Nagarani???

At least the boss is a gimme after all the bullshit.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'm glad I followed the advice and downed a smoothe at Wiz before doing Costlemark. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Terper posted:

I'm glad I followed the advice and downed a smoothe at Wiz before doing Costlemark. :)

The beginning only hid the true horror of the place and would have relished at the chance to have the smoothie beforehand.

• Locked thread