Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

which "framework" should i go for (or more accurately, give the dev i'm gonna make do it the go ahead to use) to sit alongside .net MVC to do the bits of ajax type binding in the ui that MVC can't do?

Options are:

1) Angular (not angular 2 though for some elaborate "reason")
2) react
3) kill self

also i tried to go for asp.net core and was told "we don't support that because it's open source". also the kestrel reverse proxy to work in IIS confused the gently caress out of the team that manage the web farms who actually haven't managed to get us on to .net 4.5.2 yet so I guess the chances of getting core any time soon are zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
3 before 2 before 3 again and then 1

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

i've never seen a nice javascript codebase

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Just not Angular. Symbolic Butt is right, kill yourself twice before using Angular.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Symbolic Butt posted:

3 before 2 before 3 again and then 1

Finster Dexter posted:

Just not Angular. Symbolic Butt is right, kill yourself twice before using Angular.

this was my gut feel not having used either (or done 3 yet)

i'd prefer "none of the above" but i can't see another way of getting the functionality that we need in MVC (e.g. just having the content of a dropdown populate based on a previous selection) without piles of javascript everywhere and some sort of framework around it.

i mean, if it was me id just brute force it in jquery because i suck

edit: does anyone use knockout anymore?

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

edit: does anyone use knockout anymore?

i think it's heyday is over but it's still maintained, useful, and works fine.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i will be doing the same thing as Powerful Two-Hander soon. angular got mentioned a lot by several people, i said i heard it's bad and we should use react instead because of this thread. the response was "all that javascript poo poo is the same so we may as well use angular". i want to argue this but i don't actually know why angular is bad, help plz.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Symbolic Butt posted:

here, have this ansible playbook snippet:

YAML code:
  tasks:
    - yum: name=epel-release state=latest

- yum: name=python34 state=latest

- get_url:
        url=https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py
        dest=/tmp/get-pip.py

- command: /usr/bin/python3.4 /tmp/get-pip.py

# needed for psycopg2 iirc
    - yum: name=gcc state=latest

- yum: name=python34-devel state=latest

- yum: name=postgresql-devel state=latest
it works on centos, I use it almost everyday

lol ok lemme just curl | sh and compile from source on a production server

to be fair i did resort to doing exactly this on a dev instance but i'll give up and port my poo poo back to python 2 before doing that in live

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

MononcQc posted:

cjs: currently mad at customers who feel they can demand the same performance they'd get in a datacenter when dealing with a PaaS built on top of AWS.

at least downmarket you you don't have to coddle idiots quite so much

dealing with this *cough* large financial institution *cough* that has been tasked with making VMs in whatever godforsaken abomination they're running in their DC.

they gave us instances with 1megabit/second ethernet and 1megabyte/second write disks. literally. honestly I don't even know how you could accomplish that in TYOOL 2016 without actively throttling everything.

:psyduck:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Options are:

2) react
3) kill self

they are all bad answers but 3 is the worst. i know it is hard to maintain the will to live in the face of javascript, but suicide is never the right choice. please try to stay strong. you will die all too soon anyway, and there is still pleasure in this fleeting life.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

HoboMan posted:

i will be doing the same thing as Powerful Two-Hander soon. angular got mentioned a lot by several people, i said i heard it's bad and we should use react instead because of this thread. the response was "all that javascript poo poo is the same so we may as well use angular". i want to argue this but i don't actually know why angular is bad, help plz.

I have not used react very much, but what I've seen, it seems to have a lot less lovely boilerplate than Angular. Angular is like "Boilerplate: the js framework". It's going to be huge pain to maintain. I haven't looked at Angular 2, but I don't think a complete rewrite in typescript is going to redeem it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

someone at work saw "how do I integrate react with my large gwt project" on snack overflow and assumed it was our lead architect posting on a parachute account

our last lead architect up and quit, cursing out the director a few months ago because they wouldn't let him work remotely from Germany or something

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sapozhnik posted:

to be fair i did resort to doing exactly this on a dev instance but i'll give up and port my poo poo back to python 2 before doing that in live
you could yum install python-pip instead but i'm guessing there's a reason they chose the website over the one in epel

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

someone at work saw "how do I integrate react with my large gwt project" on snack overflow and assumed it was our lead architect posting on a parachute account

our last lead architect up and quit, cursing out the director a few months ago because they wouldn't let him work remotely from Germany or something

god at least we're not using gwt, there's an app team that uses it and it is total garbage, though whether that's their fault or gwts i couldn't say.

part of me doesn't care what gets used on our frontend as long as the .net MVC backend is solid but I know that that will come back to haunt me some day. Another team is about to do a rewrite using react so i might push for that on the basis that we can share some knowledge

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

MononcQc posted:

cjs: currently mad at customers who feel they can demand the same performance they'd get in a datacenter when dealing with a PaaS built on top of AWS.

yo legit surprised i didn't see you guys at reinvent

would have wanted that heroku swag for sure

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

anthonypants posted:

you could yum install python-pip instead but i'm guessing there's a reason they chose the website over the one in epel

there was some reason but I forgot

Sapozhnik posted:

being realistic you'll need to resort to stuff like this eventually for python2 too

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
I just make an rpm to deal with that stuff

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

which "framework" should i go for (or more accurately, give the dev i'm gonna make do it the go ahead to use) to sit alongside .net MVC to do the bits of ajax type binding in the ui that MVC can't do?

Options are:

2) react
3) kill self

also i tried to go for asp.net core and was told "we don't support that because it's open source". also the kestrel reverse proxy to work in IIS confused the gently caress out of the team that manage the web farms who actually haven't managed to get us on to .net 4.5.2 yet so I guess the chances of getting core any time soon are zero.

react owns use react

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Options are:

2) react
3) kill self

knockout. it will come w/ ur default asp.net project so ur all set.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
either way don't use angular cause its trash and don't use ajax or any other javascript if you don't have to. server side rendering is still the best.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
use react

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Shaggar posted:

either way don't use angular cause its trash and don't use ajax or any other javascript if you don't have to. server side rendering is still the best.

can you do server side rendering without node?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

can you do server side rendering without node?

lol

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
is that a yes?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Did servers generate html before node, asks the something awful forums user

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i'm talking about react-style server side rendering (i.e. generate html that matches what would've been generated by client side javascript framework)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
you should be using a template system anyway

just pick a template library that has implementations for both js and whatever server language you're using

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

(e.g. just having the content of a dropdown populate based on a previous selection) without piles of javascript everywhere and some sort of framework around it.

i mean, if it was me id just brute force it in jquery because i suck

if that is really all that needs to happen then yeah, why not?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i know that vue.js (think knockout, but in 2016!) supports react-style server-side rendering. there's a third-party thing that allows server-side rendering in asp.net iirc

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

redleader posted:

i know that vue.js (think knockout, but in 2016!) supports react-style server-side rendering. there's a third-party thing that allows server-side rendering in asp.net iirc

I've been impressed with vue.js in terms of being pretty straight forward to use when you're doing relatively simple things. I'm not particularly experienced with it though

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
trigger warning: front-end javascript frameworks

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Messyass posted:

if that is really all that needs to happen then yeah, why not?

My thoughts exactly. No need to install and learn complex frameworks and messing with a ton of command line utils if all you need to do is something so small and mundane as loading some data and filling a select with options

Leave react/angular for web apps, the poster could have coded that using jquery in the time it took him to write that post

It reminds me of that article posted here, where the guy just wanted to load some that in a table and hipster js guy wanted him to learn 50 new technologies just to do that

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

My thoughts exactly. No need to install and learn complex frameworks and messing with a ton of command line utils if all you need to do is something so small and mundane as loading some data and filling a select with options

Leave react/angular for web apps, the poster could have coded that using jquery in the time it took him to write that post

It reminds me of that article posted here, where the guy just wanted to load some that in a table and hipster js guy wanted him to learn 50 new technologies just to do that

yeah im actually coming back round to this. the stuff i thought we 'needed' a framework for can probably be dealt with by just shifting how the app works so that actions are saved individually instead of what happens today which is they're added to the 'model' in the user session, shown on the aspx page page and the whole object is posted back in one big chunk.

i mean, you can do that in pure mvc as well by appending new elements to the DOM with properly formatted ids/names but thats a lot of hassle when we could just break things out some more and avoid it entirely.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Blinkz0rz posted:

yo legit surprised i didn't see you guys at reinvent

would have wanted that heroku swag for sure

There was a bunch of people attending the conf but that's about it from what I can tell.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

yeah im actually coming back round to this. the stuff i thought we 'needed' a framework for can probably be dealt with by just shifting how the app works so that actions are saved individually instead of what happens today which is they're added to the 'model' in the user session, shown on the aspx page page and the whole object is posted back in one big chunk.

i mean, you can do that in pure mvc as well by appending new elements to the DOM with properly formatted ids/names but thats a lot of hassle when we could just break things out some more and avoid it entirely.

okay, but if you feel at any point that the quick hack you're now doing is starting to resemble an "app" you need to maintain, kill your're slef start using a framework.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i'm talking about react-style server side rendering (i.e. generate html that matches what would've been generated by client side javascript framework)

you could theoretically use javascript to generate it if you're a big ol' retard but one of the huge benefits of doing it server side is not having to use javascript at all.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
fixed my first crazy threading error. feels good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Just finally got to the bottom of one of our systems being really unreliable for no apparent reason.

Turns out that a third party API that we're integrating with will return the same authentication token to multiple login requests made by the same account. As soon as one of the processes calls LogOut, all other processes that happen to be running at the same time will break. Seems to be working fine in development but just randomly breaks in production because you're more likely to get overlapping requests.

Workaround until the third party fixes it: never call LogOut. :D

• Locked thread