Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

For a brief period of time having syphilis was fashionable, having it meant that you were a player.

A disease with promiscuity as a late stage symptom is just so metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Corrode posted:

Funnily enough this is what I was referring to in the first place, so we've come full circle!

I figured that was the exact thing you were referencing. I hope that I was at least able to make it a little more clear for readers by expanding it out a little... Who knows.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Weirdly enough, morphine and other opiates are now an approved and verified treatment for cough in end-stage COPD/Emphysema patients.

It's not actually that weird since opiates have a long history of use as antitussives. Codeine and hydrocodone cough syrups are pretty commonly used in cases of severe coughing, the kind where you tear up your throat and cough up blood.

On a similar note, while the US classifies heroin as a drug with no medical value it's still commonly used for palliative care in the UK (where it's just called diamorphine since 'Heroin' as a brand name was abandoned long ago what with it being fairly tainted by it's own reputation).

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

the future is WOW posted:

On a similar note, while the US classifies heroin as a drug with no medical value it's still commonly used for palliative care in the UK (where it's just called diamorphine since 'Heroin' as a brand name was abandoned long ago what with it being fairly tainted by it's own reputation).

Wow, I wouldn't have guessed it, but you're right, heroin is schedule I, unlike cocaine and methamphetamine, which are both schedule II. I thought smack was only as bad as crank, turns out it's as bad as weed itself.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It really is a tragic story; she was apparently not all that bright and just didn't understand the intrigue of a royal court. As was said she wasn't that great of a student but she didn't write well at all and barely spoke any of the languages one would be expected to at court. She was literally a teenager when she was thrust into an already unstable political situation that she just didn't get. France already had bad enough issues that the king at the time (Louis XV) basically couldn't enter the actual city of Paris dressed like a king. Him and his court had to dress down and pretend they weren't royalty. France also got a sound thrashing in the Seven Year's War and was in crazy debt; it didn't help that Louis XV liked to gently caress pretty much everything and the royal expenditures involved a rather large number of mistresses. He was apparently a mix of a decent but declining ruler and a petulant manchild. A lot of the problems that Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI faced were based entirely on simmering resentment toward the royalty that they had absolutely no hand in.

The fact that Marie Antoinette just loved living in luxury and Louis XVI didn't deny her like...anything no matter how expensive it was just made matters worse. While the nation was suffering serious financial issues she was spending poo poo loads of money on things even other royalty considered completely and totally frivolous. Granted the other big snag was that the entire aristocracy at the time just plain wasn't willing to give up their opulent lifestyles. Marie Antoinette got pretty much the entirety of the blame. There was really nothing she could have done by the point that opinion turned totally against her. Intrigue and machinations within the country's political engine just made it worse as every problem the country faced just got thrown at her feet while her husband became severely depressed and basically let her run things. It was a broken, impossible to fix situation that she didn't have the tools or skills to deal with at all.

So what you're saying is that she didn't have a good head on her shoulders.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

yo rear end is grass posted:

No, more that she should have quit while she was still ahead.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Before I even saw the post about heroin, I somehow found myself wondering how long humans have been doing injections in general. Turns out that the first "successful" human injection was 1844.

That's not recent-recent, but it does really highlight how relatively recent a lot of things we totally take for granted are.

Though for a worse thought, the first *un*successful injections of humans were in the 1660s; apparently it turned out poorly enough that the entire idea got shelved for two drat centuries.

EDIT: for even weirder, remember that the entire idea of Germ Theory was still a fringe idea until the 1860s.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Before I even saw the post about heroin, I somehow found myself wondering how long humans have been doing injections in general. Turns out that the first "successful" human injection was 1844.

That's not recent-recent, but it does really highlight how relatively recent a lot of things we totally take for granted are.

Though for a worse thought, the first *un*successful injections of humans were in the 1660s; apparently it turned out poorly enough that the entire idea got shelved for two drat centuries.

EDIT: for even weirder, remember that the entire idea of Germ Theory was still a fringe idea until the 1860s.

I guess the smallpox vaccine doesn't count as an injection? That came around in the late 1700s and was mandatory in Denmark from 1810.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Powaqoatse posted:

I guess the smallpox vaccine doesn't count as an injection? That came around in the late 1700s and was mandatory in Denmark from 1810.

The "smallpox vaccine" from the 18th century was just deliberately infecting yourself with the less deadly Cow Pox :v:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Rutibex posted:

The "smallpox vaccine" from the 18th century was just deliberately infecting yourself with the less deadly Cow Pox :v:

Yeah sure, but it still involved poking a hole in the skin and putting a substance in there.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Powaqoatse posted:

Yeah sure, but it still involved poking a hole in the skin and putting a substance in there.

That's variolation, different process from injection.

With variolation they just slice your skin a little and jam ground up scabs into the wound. You can see why that fell by the wayside after they refined injection. Though at least the military smallpox vaccines are done by gouging you repeatedly with a gunked needle, not like a flu shot or anything, so maybe smallpox is still a form of variolation.

TapTheForwardAssist has a new favorite as of 12:39 on Dec 8, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Conversely, trepanning is old as gently caress.

Only in the last century has it actually done any good.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Platystemon posted:

That's definitely the face I'd expect to be made when being trepanned.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Kassad posted:

It could come from "venez m'aider" (come help me), which is an actual sentence. Just shortened to the last word for the sake of brevity/clearness.

You got me wrong, there's nothing wrong with 'm'aider' technically. It's just not really used in French as far as I know. French is my first language technically but I'm more fluent in English, if it helps.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Way older than those (circa 1600? to my eye) - successful trepannation goes back to the Stone Age. We know it was successful because the bone healed before the patient died.

yo rear end is grass posted:

It was better than nothing v:shobon:v

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Safety Biscuits posted:

Way older than those (circa 1600? to my eye) - successful trepannation goes back to the Stone Age. We know it was successful because the bone healed before the patient died.

Ape-men have been successfully trepannationing each others heads with rocks for millions of years. Of course "success" is a relative term.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

When Mr Gladstone visited the North, you well remember when word passed from the newspaper to the workman that it circulated through mines and mills, factories and workshops, and they came out to greet the only British minister who ever gave the English people a right because it was just they should have it ... and when he went down the Tyne, all the country heard how twenty miles of banks were lined with people who came to greet him. Men stood in the blaze of chimneys; the roofs of factories were crowded; colliers came up from the mines; women held up their children on the banks that it might be said in after life that they had seen the Chancellor of the People go by. The river was covered like the land. Every man who could ply an oar pulled up to give Mr Gladstone a cheer. When Lord Palmerston went to Bradford the streets were still, and working men imposed silence upon themselves. When Mr Gladstone appeared on the Tyne he heard cheer no other English minister ever heard ... the people were grateful to him, and rough pitmen who never approached a public man before, pressed round his carriage by thousands ... and thousands of arms were stretched out at once, to shake hands with Mr Gladstone as one of themselves

Probably the only time a Chancellor of the Exchequer has ever evoked such a reaction. :v:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
What the hell did even do to deserve that?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bunnyofdoom posted:

What the hell did even do to deserve that?

Here's a big block o' text from Wikipedia summarising his career as chancellor leading up to that quotation:

quote:

Gladstone's budget of 1860 was introduced on 10 February along with the Cobden–Chevalier Treaty between Britain and France that would reduce tariffs between the two countries. This budget "marked the final adoption of the Free Trade principle, that taxation should be levied for Revenue purposes alone, and that every protective, differential, or discriminating duty ... should be dislodged".[46] At the beginning of 1859, there were 419 duties in existence. The 1860 budget reduced the number of duties to 48, with 15 duties constituting the majority of the revenue. To finance these reductions in indirect taxation, the income tax, instead of being abolished, was raised to 10d. for incomes above £150 and at 7d. for incomes above £100.[47]

In 1860 Gladstone intended to abolish the duty on paper – a controversial policy, because the duty traditionally inflated the cost of publishing and hindered the dissemination of radical working-class ideas. Although Palmerston supported continuation of the duty, using it and income tax revenue to buy arms, a majority of his Cabinet supported Gladstone. The Bill to abolish duties on paper narrowly passed Commons but was rejected by the House of Lords. No money bill had been rejected by Lords for over 200 years, and a furore arose over this vote. The next year, Gladstone included the abolition of paper duty in a consolidated Finance Bill (the first ever) to force the Lords to accept it, and accept it they did. The proposal in the Commons of one bill only per session for the national finances was a precedent uniformly followed from that date until 1910, and it has been ever since the rule.[48]

Gladstone steadily reduced Income tax over the course of his tenure as Chancellor. In 1861 the tax was reduced to ninepence (£0–0s–9d), in 1863 to sevenpence, in 1864 to fivepence and in 1865 to fourpence.[49] Gladstone believed that government was extravagant and wasteful with taxpayers' money and so sought to let money "fructify in the pockets of the people" by keeping taxation levels down through "peace and retrenchment". In 1859 he wrote to his brother, who was a member of the Financial Reform Association at Liverpool: "Economy is the first and great article (economy such as I understand it) in my financial creed. The controversy between direct and indirect taxation holds a minor, though important place".[50] He wrote to his wife on 14 January 1860: "I am certain, from experience, of the immense advantage of strict account-keeping in early life. It is just like learning the grammar then, which when once learned need not be referred to afterwards".[51] [a]

Due to his actions as Chancellor, Gladstone earned the reputation as the liberator of British trade and the working man's breakfast table, the man responsible for the emancipation of the popular press from "taxes upon knowledge" and for placing a duty on the succession of the estates of the rich.[53] Gladstone's popularity rested on his taxation policies which meant to his supporters balance, social equity and political justice.[54] The most significant expression of working-class opinion was at Northumberland in 1862 when Gladstone visited. George Holyoake recalled in 1865:

And then it's the quote I posted.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Probably the only time a Chancellor of the Exchequer has ever evoked such a reaction. :v:

Have you been listening to the When Diplomacy Fails podcast?

Actually, I was just thinking of a piece of medical history, but not been able to find it online because the descriptions are too vague for Google. I read it in an old book, but cannot remember the title beyond it being about Scientific anecdotes.

Basically, it was back in the day before Nitrous oxide was known to work as an anaesthetic. Scientists knew that nerves worked by electrical methods (Volta and his frog legs being a perfect example thereof) and so people surmised they might be the way to prevent pain during surgery.

Apparently, one scientist got it into his head to try and over-stimulate a nerve to prevent further signals. So to test it, he put an electrical current through a nerve in his tooth. Been trying to remember who it was, but with no success.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Samovar posted:

Have you been listening to the When Diplomacy Fails podcast?

No, I've actually not heard of that. What is it about?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Reading the Wikipedia page on people who disappeared mysteriously, it's clear there's two kinds of disappearances: there's people who were kidnapped, or murdered and their remains never recovered, and those are very tragic examples; the other kind is stuff like this man:

People who just walked out of history, never to be seen again. They might have lived, they might have died, but we honestly just don't know what happened to them.

It's like reading the Wikipedia page for, say, a politician who achieved some significance in their role, then their page just stops in 2006 or whenever because they retired from public life completely.

One example is Romulus Augustus, popularly considered the last Roman Emperor in the west. He was overthrown by the German warlord Odacer, but according to several histories, Odacer spared him and let him go into exile in southern Italy. After that... we have an ambiguous letter thirty years later that may refer to him, but that's all. No idea when he died, where he died, or what he did with the rest of his life.

Constantine XI, last Emperor in the east also met an ambiguous fate. He almost certainly died during the fall of Constantinople, but nobody witnessed it, and no body was ever recovered.

You would think that keeping track of the Roman Emperor would not be such a challenge...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Angry Salami posted:

Constantine XI, last Emperor in the east also met an ambiguous fate. He almost certainly died during the fall of Constantinople, but nobody witnessed it, and no body was ever recovered.

More understandable, I suppose, because Constantine is meant to have either removed anything that would have identified him as emperor or donned the armour of a common soldier and went out to fight to the death after the Turks breached the city.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Angry Salami posted:

You would think that keeping track of the Roman Emperor would not be such a challenge...

Obviously he fled to Russia and became the first Tzar. Caesar = Tzar

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
In any area with a hint of Roman contact, at some point it was trendy for leaders to be called a variant on Caesar.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Angry Salami posted:

A body disappearing during a chaotic battle is probably not that weird. Speaking of important missing people, no one knows where Olav The Holy is buried. He fell in battle in1030 and is concidered the eternal king of Norway and founder of the Norwegian church. He was buried then dug up and his corpse was moved to an unknown location.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
A missing emperor is nothing. There are dozens of roman emperors that we have no idea about their deaths (many in the same year :v:). Rome lost an entire legion from the historical record. Not as in "it was defeated in battle" the 9th legion just disappears from the records without any mention!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legio_IX_Hispana

quote:

Legio nona Hispana ("Spanish Ninth Legion"), also Legio VIIII Hispana or Legio IX Hispana, was a legion of the Imperial Roman army that existed from the 1st century BC until at least AD 120. The legion fought in various provinces of the late Roman Republic and early Roman Empire but was then stationed in Britain following the Roman invasion in 43 AD. The legion disappears from surviving Roman records after c. AD 120 and there is no extant account of what happened to it.

The unknown fate of the legion has been the subject of considerable research and speculation. One theory (per historian Theodor Mommsen) was that the legion was wiped out in action in northern Britain soon after 108, the date of the latest datable inscription of the Ninth found in Britain, perhaps during a rising of northern tribes against Roman rule. This view was popularized by the 1954 novel The Eagle of the Ninth in which the legion is said to have marched into Caledonia (Scotland), after which it was "never heard of again".

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Samovar posted:

Apparently, one scientist got it into his head to try and over-stimulate a nerve to prevent further signals. So to test it, he put an electrical current through a nerve in his tooth.

And fell out of his chair?

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Nobody knows where Ghengis Khan is buried either, great pains were taken to hide his tomb.

Also Australia lost their prime minister in the 60s, but that was more of an accidental thing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zedprime posted:

In any area with a hint of Roman contact, at some point it was trendy for leaders to be called a variant on Caesar.

Mehmed II of the Ottoman Empire proclaimed himself Caesar of Rome after conquering Constantinople, on the basis that the city had been the seat of the Roman Empire for more than 1,000 years when he conquerered it, and he was actually recognised as such by the Eastern Orthodox church, because there was still a great deal of resentment towards western Europe in general and the Vatican in particular over the sacking of Constantinople by the Venetians during the Fourth Crusade.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Angry Salami posted:

One example is Romulus Augustus, popularly considered the last Roman Emperor in the west. He was overthrown by the German warlord Odacer, but according to several histories, Odacer spared him and let him go into exile in southern Italy. After that... we have an ambiguous letter thirty years later that may refer to him, but that's all. No idea when he died, where he died, or what he did with the rest of his life.

'Course, part of that is people didn't really consider him ~The Roman Emperor~ at the time. Julius Nepos was the legit Western Emperor, Romulus was a 14 year old puppet put forward by his Germanic father in 475.

For everybody at the time, Nepos was the legit ruler, then the Imperium went to the Eastern Emperor Zeno, until 800 when the West decided Irene wasn't legit so Charlemagne was the true heir of Constantine V.

The whole thing with Romulus started because of Edward Gibbon and his hateboner for Christian Rome/Byzantium making a big deal about the End Of The Western Empire, so now people think Charlemagne's empire/the HRE was supposed to restore the WRE after a supposed gap in the Imperium.

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Nobody knows where Ghengis Khan is buried either, great pains were taken to hide his tomb.

When the Russian army occupied Mongolia, part of their campaign to slander and destroy the memory of Ghengis Khan included making the area around the mouth of the Onan River a taboo zone. It was generally believed that he was buried somewhere in that area, as it had been his tribe's preferred territory, and it was where he returned to hunt and ride between campaigns. When Mongolians were able to return to the area, it had been torn up by tanks and there was evidence of quite a bit of digging. Whether they ever found his tomb or not is anyone's guess, but they drat sure tried.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Do non Brits/Irish know about Shergar?

"Shergar (3 March 1978 – c. February 1983) was an Irish-bred, British-trained racehorse, and winner of the 202nd Epsom Derby (1981) by ten lengths – the longest winning margin in the race's history.

Two years later, on 8 February 1983, he was stolen from the Ballymany Stud, near The Curragh in County Kildare, Ireland by masked gunmen and was never seen again"

What happened next was a comedy police show and conspiracy theories.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shergar

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

learnincurve posted:

"Shergar (3 March 1978 – c. February 1983) was an Irish-bred, British-trained racehorse, and winner of the 202nd Epsom Derby (1981) by ten lengths – the longest winning margin in the race's history.

Two years later, on 8 February 1983, he was stolen from the Ballymany Stud, near The Curragh in County Kildare, Ireland by masked gunmen and was never seen again"

This is like a Monty Python skit: IRA special operations team kidnaps a horse, can't figure out what to do with it, and machine guns it to death while trying to collect the ransom anyway.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Also Australia lost their prime minister in the 60s, but that was more of an accidental thing.

Isn't that the prime minister who drowned and later had a swimming stadium named after him?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Der Kyhe posted:

Isn't that the prime minister who drowned and later had a swimming stadium named after him?

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-2967

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

learnincurve posted:

The popular joke is that he was stolen by Lord Lucan.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Byzantine posted:

'Course, part of that is people didn't really consider him ~The Roman Emperor~ at the time. Julius Nepos was the legit Western Emperor, Romulus was a 14 year old puppet put forward by his Germanic father in 475.

For everybody at the time, Nepos was the legit ruler, then the Imperium went to the Eastern Emperor Zeno, until 800 when the West decided Irene wasn't legit so Charlemagne was the true heir of Constantine V.

The whole thing with Romulus started because of Edward Gibbon and his hateboner for Christian Rome/Byzantium making a big deal about the End Of The Western Empire, so now people think Charlemagne's empire/the HRE was supposed to restore the WRE after a supposed gap in the Imperium.

Julius Nepos was no more "legitimate" than Romulus Augustulus. He was a puppet of a foreign general who ultimately didn't care enough who ruled Italy to back up any claim to the empire he might have had. Romulus was indeed considered Roman emperor by contemporaries, but the office at that point had hardly any power even in name and in practice none whatsoever. It's also stretching the facts quite a bit to describe him as Germanic; he was the son of the Roman noble Orestes, who was from Pannonia (in the Balkans) and had had a job as Attila the Hun's secretary some time before the "legitimate" Julius Nepos made him his military commander. Orestes promptly told Julius Nepos to get hosed and put his teenage kid in charge instead, which gives a good idea of exactly how legitimate he was perceived to be. Part of the reason why Romulus' fate is lost to history is because precisely nobody cared about him]. He was just some kid who got given an increasingly meaningless title in support of his father's military ambitions, and it got scrapped entirely the next year when those ambitions were crushed.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

No, I've actually not heard of that. What is it about?

It's a podcast about the political/religious settings that lead to major wars, primarily in Europe. There was a series on Britain throughout the Victorian age that quotes the passage highlighted. Pretty interesting stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

:fap:

Link for heathens: Onan

Re the missing Roman legion: did contemporary sources find it strange, or is it just something historians noted centuries later?

Like, we don’t know what happened to the Declaration of Independence’s handwritten Fair Copy, but the fact that the people who were there never discussed it suggests that the document’s fate was common knowledge and no one bothered to write about it.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 02:38 on Dec 10, 2016