Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
White Coke
May 29, 2015

Doc Hawkins posted:

Really, it's just our crude biases which makes us judge the things he does as "dumb."

Things like attempting to eat things that are clearly not food, just in case. You don't know! It might be different this time!

He's forming a hypothesis about it's edibility, then testing it. Like a scientist. A very hungry scientist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

White Coke posted:

He's forming a hypothesis about it's edibility, then testing it. Like a scientist. A very hungry scientist.

He's Louie from Pikmin, but with the strength of a god and a ridiculous arsenal.

An actual gameplay question that I haven't been able to figure out yet, is there a real point to using different elements? Like almost all of the elemental effects are a variant of "stun" and I never noticed if any enemies had a resistance to different damage types

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Did anyone else see Starscream's little bitch-intro there and expect the REAL mid-boss to punt him aside?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Starscream - threatening to send someone back to the Bronze age doesn't work as a threat if they came from the Cretaceous era...

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Loxbourne posted:

Did anyone else see Starscream's little bitch-intro there and expect the REAL mid-boss to punt him aside?

The real boss did punt him aside. His name is Grimlock, and he will make you his bitch. :colbert:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I like the origin for Grimlock's dino mode we get out of the aligned continuity.

Shockwave did it because he had a bunch of captives and wanted to do it to see if he could. He's also dumb as a box of rocks because he diverted most of the energy that would be going to his brain straight into the "gently caress poo poo up" center. He used to be a strategist on par with optimus (and also a truck).

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Samovar posted:

Starscream - threatening to send someone back to the Bronze age doesn't work as a threat if they came from the Cretaceous era...

It's Starscream, what did you expect?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Grimlock :allears:

So, now that we've seen and humiliated Starscream and Thundercracker, when does Skywarp and/or Slipstream crash the party (and then get dunked on by Grimlock)?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
When do you pick characters? I admit I've been :downs: through the LP, and I'd assumed the dudes you played with were the ones the game assigned you.

Second question: Will you play the rest of the game as Grimlock? :allears:

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

CommissarMega posted:

When do you pick characters? I admit I've been :downs: through the LP, and I'd assumed the dudes you played with were the ones the game assigned you.

First question: You can use "Chapter Select" to start a chapter from the beginning and it has the decency to take you to the Ark and let you goof around with your gear and choose your character. Only times we were forced were the beginning selections in the first episode. You can choose to replay those sections with a character of your choice and the game even accounts for that in characters appearing and their dialogue. They spend a lot of time trying to herd Grimlock around, if you're wondering.

Second question: I'm giving everyone a whole chapter to themselves at least before I start turning this into a one-bot show in any direction.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

From what I remember: For the first play through, up until you get Grimlock, you basically get assigned members. You get free selection after that, and on subsequent playthroughs, on the Ark. Also, character banter scenes and the like will change depending on your character, so you don't end up with clones or whatever. IE, if you play as Grimlock in the first chapter, when you get to the Focus tutorial door where he's normally standing, Prime will be there with a different line instead.

Edit: gently caress, beaten

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
GRIMLOCK! :neckbeard:

Ah the character that, out of all the ones you can play as, is probably the overall most fun overall. I've personally played Wheeljack the most in my playthrough, but I love comboing some poor Decepticon by switching between robot and dino modes and piledrivering them into the dirt. I'm almost certain that Grimlock was the character Platinum really loved coming up with ideas for, given how great all his combos and movement is.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

SpookyLizard posted:

Watch with the perspective that Megatron is the good guy. Or read those threads by
Terry van Feleday's in Cinema Discussio. One of those threads has a PDF in it that's got all of it, too, if you don't want to go post by post. However you feel about them on the whole, you at least gotta watch the robot punching parts, because they're loving gorgeous. Especially in the third movie.

That was a good read and it was nice seeing it again in its entirety, but one trick I always regret they missed:

DotM was not the first time Leonard Nemoy has been in a Transformers movie, and both times he replaced Megatron.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Computron's the best. He was the first Combiner I ever got all the pieces of as a kid and he's a fifteen story tall robonerd. :allears:

He was created when Decepticon sabotage on an Autobot power generator bombarded Grimlock's brain with ~*anti-electrons*~, making him unfathomably intelligent. He then built the Technobots out of parts of Unicron's head in order to fight the Terrorcons and gifted them with his increased intelligence.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

The Door Frame posted:

An actual gameplay question that I haven't been able to figure out yet, is there a real point to using different elements? Like almost all of the elemental effects are a variant of "stun" and I never noticed if any enemies had a resistance to different damage types

Mechanically, I THINK it's because as a player the assorted stun effects are tied to special element specific special properties, as well as only having a chance to happen rather than constantly like when Blitzwing hits you with them.

So the Freeze skill will work on ice weapons, but not on a fire weapon, etc. I'm hazy on if you need those skills to trigger it in the first place, or if those skills just greatly increase the chance of it happening. Probably the latter because I could swear occasionally seeing people go all lightning sparky when laying into them enough with shock pistols.

It's also so you can be loving disappointed at not getting good (or any) "Basic Machinegun" drops :sigh: Because a fire machinegun is the "Flamethrower" (and we saw just how useless that was for Sideswipe), and the Electo Machinegun is also a short range spray gun. Murphys law means I have never seen a Cryo Machinegun, so don't know if that's bullets like I want, or another short spray.

I know other guns are far more overall effective, but pew pew bullets machineguns are my favorite. Lots of ammo, enough range to poke fragile rooftop snipers, and surprisingly handy dealing with certain boss gimmicks quickly. Also if you shoot the hell out of smaller enemies like car based ground soldiers with a smaller gun enough, that will qualify for a vehicle attack.

EDIT: Oh cool, I did get a Cryo gun this time! And it's bullets-
Wait... Defect Lv 2 :saddowns: (Defect skill = "Haha, get hosed weapon stats").

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 2, 2016

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Ah, Grimlock. The best character in the game full stop.

JamieTheD posted:

There is a very simple reason he uses his person form: IT HAS A FLAMING SWORD.

Which is available in this game if they get lucky and it drops.

Section Z posted:

EDIT: Oh cool, I did get a Cryo gun this time! And it's bullets-
Wait... Defect Lv 2 :saddowns: (Defect skill = "Haha, get hosed weapon stats").

Synthesize it with other weapons with better skills and you can replace the Defect with them. Also, Defect does have a purpose. If you're trying the SS-rank machine gun headshot trick, defect can help you to get more headshots because of the lowered stats.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I remember having a really tough time trying to play as Grimlock, but that might be because the first time used him was a chapter with tricky, back-to-back full on boss battles and I hadn't fully learned his quirks yet.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
It's 11:18pm on my birthday.

I just spent the last half hour enjoying the poo poo out of Grimlock power bombing everything.

:allears:

This has been a wonderful birthday.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik3NoF-muDE

Because the world needs more Grimlock.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Samovar posted:

Maybe he meant the Cybertronian Bronze Age. Maybe that was before the beginning of intelligent life there.

e: that video is incredible, though i am sad to learn the cartoon's idea for the origin of unicron was that dumb

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Dec 2, 2016

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
They should have just made TRANSFORMERS: Grimlock's Day Out (featuring Devestator)

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

They should have just made TRANSFORMERS: Grimlock's Day Out (featuring Devestator)

New Game Plus mode starting as Grimlock is pretty much exactly that.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Zebulon posted:

I meant name it that, but glad to know it's what it is. :allears:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
On the note of the Dinobots' origin, this is basically how it happened:

From here, a good recap of the episode.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Those are all really drat good.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

StrifeHira posted:

On the note of the Dinobots' origin, this is basically how it happened:

From here, a good recap of the episode.

"Are they at a waterfall?"
"They are at another waterfall."

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I just found this LP the other day, and I'm slightly disappointed in myself, Mostly because this was going to be my first LP. This is my favorite game from last year, and it just resonated with me like so few games do.

Just a point of interest, I think Optimus can equip literally any weapon in this game, while everybody else has some restriction or another.

I didn't see it in the previous pages, but I'm only a little surprised that I didn't see the following idea tossed out for a Platinum licensed game that seems right up their alley:

Kung Fu Fighting
Colorful/Color Coded Cast of Heroes
Generally switching between different sizes of combat and enemies
A whole Laundry List of weapons to equip/upgrade
Mountains of disposable low-level grunts
Giant Robots and Monsters
More goofy cheese in the Villains than the Taco Bell Value Menu
A Big Screen Reboot coming soon

Power Rangers, man

Now, I'm 35, and I know that the show has been running since I stopped watching in the 6th grade or so. And yeah, if it's going to happen, it would be with those god-awful new Iron Man style outfits. But a rehash of the original 5 characters with different playstyles would make me ridiculously happy. Take my loving money already.

Then again, I think Ban-dai still owns all publishing rights, so probably just a dream.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Have you seen the trailer for the reboot movie? I'm not sure if it's an edgy reboot of PR, or a superpowered reboot of The Breakfast Club.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Zebulon posted:

Oh good, it does exists, because I absolutely must know the exchange between Grimlock and Teletraaan Alpha.

Eventually. When the LP gets there. As it is now required to do. :shepface:

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Doc Hawkins posted:

Oh good, it does exists, because I absolutely must know the exchange between Grimlock and Teletraaan Alpha.

He does have his own lines with Teletraan Alpha, and they ARE wonderful. Once I got Grimlock I never swapped to any other character except for a few challenges and grinding. He's just so drat fun to play as.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

The good news is for the challenge video (which is the next video), I start it off by showing everyone's Teletraan Alpha conversation.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

CzarChasm posted:

Power Rangers, man

I think you mean the always superior Super Sentai, which has the added bonus of being intentionally goofy and not having a probably cringeworthy reboot coming up.

But if you're going to do a Toku franchise, just do Kamen Rider. It fits the Platinum game design much better.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Just found this thread, and I am so glad it exists. Coolguye's pure joy at literally everything that happens is infectious.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Episode 6Youtube | Polsy

No updates to anything this week, but having spent more time doing challenges since I've figured out what the hell the red Seekers even do beyond sprout a shield. They can shoot projectiles that can prevent you from transforming out of vehicle mode! I'll probably amend the profile at some point to explain that. You can imagine why they probably didn't bother in this video on account of "Me Grimlock not care what red flying Decepticon do!"

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Episode name :allears:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
RoboKy, sorry if I missed. Did you mention Overdrive Mode? Or rather, look at the Autobot symbol at the health bar, the more hits you chain together without getting hit, the more it begins to beat red, increasing your damage output.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Not just damage; attack speed, too.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I feel like I tried to say it once and someone wanted to talk about their medical problems or something I DUNNO but yeah I haven't mentioned it yet.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
I'm gonna be that Transformers fan and point out that Generation 2 isn't the stuff after the movie. That's just the third season.

Transformers Generation 2 was a later franchise, whose cartoon was just reshown G1 episodes (mostly from the first two seasons, with only 3 from the third.)

You can generally tell it's not G2, because if it was, Grimlock would have probably looked like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

• Locked thread