Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'm not really sure why you think the Empire was always intended to be the strongest ranged faction at release? It was always supposed to be Dwarves who are strong in that. Empire was always supposed to be a jack of all trades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
4 units of veteran night goblin archers will chew through a unit of Vargheists before they can even land.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Stephen9001 posted:

How did the empire have the strongest infantry? I mean, I know that steam tanks and demigryphs are/were totally awesome, but how did they have the best infantry? I don't think greatswords were ever THAT good. Not bad by any means but I doubt they were ever as good as black orcs or Ironbreakers.

i think greatswords were pretty cost effective

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Whorelord posted:

i think greatswords were pretty cost effective

A lot of Empire units *are* cost effective, but if you only have 20 units in a stack regardless, that doesn't stop {insert faction here} from eating your face.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

V for Vegas posted:

4 units of veteran night goblin archers will chew through a unit of Vargheists before they can even land.

Pretty sure 4 units of any ranged infantry in this game will do that. Vargheists are pretty squishy and shouldn't generally be used as just 1 unit.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
So, DLC unlocks in about 5:30hrs, what do you guys plan to try first? I've never been a huge wood elves fan but I think picking up Orion's shooty bonuses and gently caress Archaon's face with arrows gonna be fun for a while.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Angry Lobster posted:

So, DLC unlocks in about 5:30hrs, what do you guys plan to try first? I've never been a huge wood elves fan but I think picking up Orion's shooty bonuses and gently caress Archaon's face with arrows gonna be fun for a while.

Mini-Campaign as Orion, grand campaign as Morghur. Should probably keep me busy through the end of the year holidays. Add a Durthu Vs the Old World Grand Campaign and I'll probably have all the Total Warhammer I want until Bretonnia is out.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Dec 8, 2016

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Probably going to do Mini-Campaign Dorthu, Grand Campaign Orion, plus GC with Morghur.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh im just going to play everything.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Yup, it's everything for me too. I still need to finish the Beastmen mini campaign as well, so I have my Christmas vacation taken care of nicely.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Stephen9001 posted:

How did the empire have the strongest infantry? I mean, I know that steam tanks and demigryphs are/were totally awesome, but how did they have the best infantry? I don't think greatswords were ever THAT good. Not bad by any means but I doubt they were ever as good as black orcs or Ironbreakers.

I'm talking multi-balance here but it wasn't even greatswords, on release shieldless spearmen would rout any monster unit in the game (apart from maybe arachnoroks? and empire demigryphs of course) and empire swordsmen were bang-for-buck the best infantry in the game.

Obvs in the campaign you both usually have full stacks of whatever tier infantry you can afford so it didn't matter as much.

My first thing is probably gonna be a grand campaign as all archers all day, been waiting on a full skirmish army for ages now. I do sort of expect there to be some weird problems with the balance that makes this not as viable as treemen armies, but beastmen were actually really well designed (apart from making them the strongest mage army in the game with un-patched Devolve, whoops) on release so I'm pretty hopeful.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Angry Lobster posted:

Going to try waiting a week for my mods to update first

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Is there any overviews of the WE mini-campaign, video or otherwise? Doesn't seem to be a lot of info on it from a quick search compared to how much they put out for Eye for an Eye.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
What are the odds any of the Warhammer DLC goes on sale for Christmas? I'm totally content with my games right now so I don't mind waiting. I'm under the impression that Total War DLC is infamous for almost never dipping in price though.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Angry Lobster posted:

Actually according to CA it unlocks at 4pm, despite Steam saying 6pm.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Actually according to CA it unlocks at 4pm, despite Steam saying 6pm.

Steam says "unlocks in 2 hours" for me, as of 2pm GMT.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Mine's saying it unlocks in 4 hours. It might depend on which part of the world you're in.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Weirdly the FLC and the DLC appear to unlock at different times.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
I'll do everything eventually but first out is going to be Durthu exacting the debt of nature on the Old World and covering it in forest, or outposts at least. None will be spared the wrath of the wild.

Then most likely the new Beastmen lord because I loving love playing Beastmen.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

SteelMentor posted:

Is there any overviews of the WE mini-campaign, video or otherwise? Doesn't seem to be a lot of info on it from a quick search compared to how much they put out for Eye for an Eye.

There's a stream of it on the total war twitch channel. It's still ongoing

https://www.twitch.tv/totalwarofficial

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Edit: Wrong thread

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Kaza42 posted:

There's a stream of it on the total war twitch channel. It's still ongoing

https://www.twitch.tv/totalwarofficial

Watching this now!

I haven't been playing this game for long, but this guy has his army lined up how he wants, with his formations all set out, and to move forward he is picking up the entire template and shifting it forward. How on earth do you do that? It looks super helpful. So far I have been moving units one by one which makes micromanagement really tough.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hold alt and left click to drag the selected units, hold ctrl to rotate.

Alternatively you can lock them in formation with ctrl-g or by clicking the little lock symbol when grouping them.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Dravs posted:

Watching this now!

I haven't been playing this game for long, but this guy has his army lined up how he wants, with his formations all set out, and to move forward he is picking up the entire template and shifting it forward. How on earth do you do that? It looks super helpful. So far I have been moving units one by one which makes micromanagement really tough.

Alt+ left click drag.

It's seriously one of the best improvements in the series. There's a list of advanced commands somewhere in-game.

Ed: Beaten.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

ZearothK posted:

clicking the little lock symbol when grouping them.

ahhhhhhhhh :aaaaa:

I had no idea this button existed, I need to tear my eyes away from smashing goblins in the face and look around the ui more.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

You can also use the cursor arrow keys on the keyboard to move formations.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What graphical options can I use to lower load times because Streamers load way the hell faster than me.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Hey, how do you turn the leafy trees off? That would also help.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Use a SSD.

EDIT: ^ Hold space, click the lock icon next to hide foliage.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Baron Porkface posted:

What graphical options can I use to lower load times because Streamers load way the hell faster than me.

An SSD is the absolute best upgrade you can get for your PC in general, but Warhams almost requires one.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
I've downloaded the new wizards, but the wood elves haven't even started downloading yet...

EDIT: Ah, it's starting now. Hmmm... around 750kb/s this will take a while...

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 8, 2016

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I rebooted steam, and it seems to want to download elves.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

In the minicampaign stream, they said that there's a bonus for completing the mini campaign, but didn't say what it was. Here's hoping for The Red Duke, like we got Toddbringer for the last one

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
12 meg/s on my WE download, it was done in no time at all!

Unfortunately i have a WoW raid soon and im the raid leader :negative:

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Oh what, i can't confederate with Durthu as Orion and opposite? So i only have one legendary lord, while others have 4 :(

Edit: Oh yeah, my bad thanks.

Party In My Diapee fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 8, 2016

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Party In My Diapee posted:

Oh what, i can't confederate with Durthu as Orion and opposite? So i only have one legendary lord, while others have 4 :(

You need the Oak of Ages at level 3 to confederate with other wood elves. So you can get both, it just takes some time

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
That's a big download.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Yall need to be doing the grand campaign as Durthu to wage war on the north.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Hawk riders are basically glass cannon versions of gyrocopters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

So... DLC... good?

• Locked thread