Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I can smell the gasoline from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bina posted:

Hmm...

Is that a steam heater or something?

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

I guess that's one way to de-ice your windshield. The possibilities are endless now.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

It's an electric heater. :v:

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

I think it's just a standard electric baseboard heater.

Even if it's just the housing or the innards either end short of the plumbing, bonding your earth to the plumbing isn't permitted in the developed world and the metal housing is earthed. So not only can you turn yourself into a human light bulb, you can also conceivably light up the poor bastard replacing a water service over the road.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Don't joke about this! They almost shut San Antonio down a few years ago because it started dusting 20 miles north of the city.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Looks like a hydronic baseboard heater to me, which isn't terribly good, since even if the 1/2" copper coming out of the wall misses the 3/4" heating pipe there's still going to be transfer of heat to the toilet water. Not a lot mind you, but enough to wear out the rubber washers of the shutoff valve, and to help sublimate Calcium and Magnesium out of the water if it's hard. It won't cause the toilet to shatter or anything either. The only noticeable problem would be less efficient heating of the bathroom.

Looks scabby as gently caress though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I think you would need a lot more heat to sublimate Ca and Mg.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
It is funny that none of you have commented on the toilet paper over a heat source. One playful cat and it's all over.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fasdar posted:

It is funny that none of you have commented on the toilet paper over a heat source. One playful cat and it's all over.

Fahrenheit 451: the temperature at which book‐paper catches fire and burns.

If your radiator is getting anywhere near that hot, you have bigger problems.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I think you would need a lot more heat to sublimate Ca and Mg.

Not really, just warm enough to evaporate quicker than normal. The scale gets left behind, and can be basic enough to eat through most soft metals. Like copper and brass, for example. :science:

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

a red-hot steam vessel is on a list of things i never want to see in person

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Lars Blitzer posted:

Not really, just warm enough to evaporate quicker than normal. The scale gets left behind, and can be basic enough to eat through most soft metals. Like copper and brass, for example. :science:

I'm really curious how stuff evaporates inside a pipe.

What's actually happening is that heat causes bicarbonate ions to decompose a bit to carbonate. While calcium and magnesium bicarbonates are soluble, the carbonate salts are not, and fall out of solution as scale.

The scale itself is unreactive and doesn't do anything to copper or brass. It's the attempt to remove the scale, either physically or chemically, that damages the pipe.

The term you were looking for originally was not "sublimation," by the way, but "precipitation."

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Platystemon posted:

Fahrenheit 451: the temperature at which book‐paper catches fire and burns.

If your radiator is getting anywhere near that hot, you have bigger problems.

I may be misunderstanding the type of heater. When I was a child we had electric in-wall heaters that could have easily started toilet paper on fire.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

I'm really curious how stuff evaporates inside a pipe.

What's actually happening is that heat causes bicarbonate ions to decompose a bit to carbonate. While calcium and magnesium bicarbonates are soluble, the carbonate salts are not, and fall out of solution as scale.

The scale itself is unreactive and doesn't do anything to copper or brass. It's the attempt to remove the scale, either physically or chemically, that damages the pipe.

The term you were looking for originally was not "sublimation," by the way, but "precipitation."

Okay, I think I may have got it wrong. It's been years since Plumbing school to be honest. Thanks for the correction.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Lars Blitzer posted:

Okay, I think I may have got it wrong. It's been years since Plumbing school to be honest. Thanks for the correction.

You got the basic idea right - heat causes the calcium and magnesium ions to make scale in the pipes. How that happens is actually rather complex chemistry, so don't feel too bad. :shobon:

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

You got the basic idea right - heat causes the calcium and magnesium ions to make scale in the pipes. How that happens is actually rather complex chemistry, so don't feel too bad. :shobon:

Yeah, the theory behind it was kinda glossed over; a natural consequence of trying to cram a year's worth of material into a couple of months. Every minute in class counted.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

blugu64 posted:

Don't joke about this! They almost shut San Antonio down a few years ago because it started dusting 20 miles north of the city.

To be fair, the last time it did ice over significantly, there wasn't a ditch or guard rail or barrier that was safe in SA. It was a very bad idea to go out. Those "bridge may ice" signs finally had their day.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lars Blitzer posted:

Yeah, the theory behind it was kinda glossed over; a natural consequence of trying to cram a year's worth of material into a couple of months. Every minute in class counted.

Flight school.txt

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Fasdar posted:

As if there weren't already enough reasons not to keep animals in a human dwelling.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is the point of owning a cat when it is not there for you to make internet videos?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I have so many questions, they're hosing down that windshield like they've done it before.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:

"What?"

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

To be fair, the last time it did ice over significantly, there wasn't a ditch or guard rail or barrier that was safe in SA. It was a very bad idea to go out. Those "bridge may ice" signs finally had their day.

I moved up to Dallas where it ices over once a year, so don't get me wrong, I know how serious it is. You've gotta stockpile bread, water, shiner, propane, ribs, dr.pepper, and toilet paper.

snow days own.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

Gorilla Salad posted:

That is a baseboard heater.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

You know, that's a quick way to end up dead in a freak gasoline-fight accident.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

:stonk::flame:

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Huc47Dqsg8

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Oregon and New Jersey looking good.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Must be from Oregon or New Jersey

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Deteriorata posted:

On the OSHA side, the idea of temporary hardness probably exploded its fair share of steam boilers before steam feed treatment became a thing.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

Jet Jaguar posted:

I have so many questions, they're hosing down that windshield like they've done it before.

It looks like an old lady. My take is they've gone full dementia and think they are washing their car with a hose.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

d3c0y2 posted:

It looks like an old lady. My take is they've gone full dementia and think they are washing their car with a hose.

They are.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Gasoline is a great solvent, probably got that windshield squeaky clean

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

JoelJoel posted:

Lol, rear wheel drive in snow. Good luck even getting out of your driveway.

But yeah, let's stop talking about snow tires.

Rear-wheel drive used to be bad in the snow, but that was because there wasn't really enough weight over the drive tires. Now that cars weigh so much, a RWD car with good winter tires on is fine in the snow. Obviously a light-weight RWD sports car is going to be crappier, but stuff like modern BMWs and Chargers actually do alright once you know what you're doing.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 8, 2016

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Makin' their way the only way they know how

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRX4mlFi06A

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeHAWWouch

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Bina posted:

Hmm...

This just looks weird though, right? Like the toilet pipe just goes past the baseboard pipe (probably have to remove some fins or bang them out of the way) and into the wall where it connects to a regular water pipe. Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lars Blitzer posted:

Looks like a hydronic baseboard heater to me, which isn't terribly good, since even if the 1/2" copper coming out of the wall misses the 3/4" heating pipe there's still going to be transfer of heat to the toilet water. Not a lot mind you, but enough to wear out the rubber washers of the shutoff valve, and to help sublimate Calcium and Magnesium out of the water if it's hard. It won't cause the toilet to shatter or anything either. The only noticeable problem would be less efficient heating of the bathroom.

Looks scabby as gently caress though.

Yeah, that.