Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
"Have you ever stared into the cerebellum of a baby giraffe?"

Yeah...Bodega Boys is great.

Taxstone has some good interviews the Meek one was good.

Trillwithers podcast. And Jenkins's and Jones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crain posted:

Have you heard of Code Switch?

Sorry I should have specified podcasts not about explaining being black.
I don't get much out of Code Switch aside from depression, I've recommend it to all my white friends though.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Bodega Boys. If only for the "Ben Barson" impression.

Oh I think i saw them on the Waypoint 72 hour stream. I'll check that out.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

OmanyteJackson posted:

Any good podcast recommendations? I don't know how I feel about NPR Politics being the blackest podcast in my feed.

More film/entertainment related (albeit from a black perspective), but Black On Black Cinema was recently recommended either in here or the Misogynoir thread, I've only heard a few episodes but I like it a lot, and I'll always put out a good word for Aisha Tyler's Girl on Guy.

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down

OmanyteJackson posted:

Any good podcast recommendations? I don't know how I feel about NPR Politics being the blackest podcast in my feed.

W. Kamau Bell had a good one during the election season that is now on break unfortunately - politically reactive. He has two others I've been meaning to check out as well.
http://www.wkamaubell.com/podcasts

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I like Snap Judgement. I've heard 3 Black Girls is good, been meaning to check it out.

e:vvvv I'm pretty sure this is what I was thinking of actually...

WeAreTheRomans fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Dec 6, 2016

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

2 Dope Queens is pretty great. Their guests can be a little uneven though, thanks to the nature of comedy and comics. It's a pretty diverse guest list, though. Lots of POC and LGBTQ comics.

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Black Guy Who Tips is really funny and insightful.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Hey thread, I just wanted to recommend the Netflix series The Evolution of Hip Hop. Its a documentary series about the origins of hip hop in New York. I'm only on episode 2 but really enjoying it and learning a lot.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Code Switch and Bodega Boys were already posted but if you're interested in sometimes light-and-airy and sometimes serious podcast about black pop culture and life as a black person in a major urban center, I recommend The Read.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Hey thread, I just wanted to recommend the Netflix series The Evolution of Hip Hop.

I was thrown off during the intro when the host said something like "this story has never been told" as if there wasn't just a dramatized version of it 3 months ago on Netflix.

But then Dead Prez came in for the intro music and I decided to give it a chance.

Edit:
The production is great & the archival footage is pretty loving amazing. I don't think anybody has stuck with an aesthetic nearly as good as Fab 5 Freddy. Nor has anybody committed to manspreading like Melle Mel.

highme fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 7, 2016

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Vanderdeath posted:

Code Switch and Bodega Boys were already posted but if you're interested in sometimes light-and-airy and sometimes serious podcast about black pop culture and life as a black person in a major urban center, I recommend The Read.

Related to Code Switch, I saw this article and thought the thread might enjoy this read: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...e_of_trump.html

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
This movie sounds interesting as hell

http://www.avclub.com/review/i-am-not-your-negro-turns-abandoned-james-baldwin--246889

I expect it will get even less play than the typical arthouse doc due to the "controversial" title potentially making white people uncomfortable or whatever

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

The New York Post posted:

A decorated US Navy admiral took the time to troll Colin Kaepernick during the 75th Anniversary Pearl Harbor Day Commemoration ceremony on Wednesday — saying those who died on that fateful day “never took a knee and never failed to stand” during the national anthem.

The remarks were made by U.S. Pacific Command Commander Adm. Harry Harris, who had a father and four uncles serve in World War II.

“You can bet that the men and women we honor today — and those who died that fateful morning 75 years ago — never took a knee and never failed to stand whenever they heard our national anthem being played,” Harris told the crowd in Hawaii, sparking a lengthy standing ovation.

This Kaepernick bashing from all directions is really sickening to me. Why is it that no form of protest from black folks against police is valid to so many white guys? I thought his protest was the most visible and peaceful way possible to do it. I love it, and used to think that after the initial "aghast" reaction people had, would get people talking about the issue. But now, it's just used as another thing to blame black folks for.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

The fact that he didn't even bother voting in the election is really the cherry on top of everything.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Talmonis posted:

This Kaepernick bashing from all directions is really sickening to me. Why is it that no form of protest from black folks against police is valid to so many white guys? I thought his protest was the most visible and peaceful way possible to do it. I love it, and used to think that after the initial "aghast" reaction people had, would get people talking about the issue. But now, it's just used as another thing to blame black folks for.

Seriously.

I mean, this happened in 2008 and pissed a bunch of uptight racists off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTpQpRHYKpw

Why? It's a much better song than the crybaby racist version.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

shrike82 posted:

The fact that he didn't even bother voting in the election is really the cherry on top of everything.

Still better than voting Trump

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Voting for trump is worth 2 votes for trump.
Voting for no one or 3rd party is 1 vote for trump
Voting for Hillary is 1 vote against trump.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

People would probably like Kaepernick better if he didn't suck.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Rent-A-Cop posted:

People would probably like Kaepernick better if he didn't suck.

Wait wait wait...a bad opinion...from Rent-A-Cop?:monocle:

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Majorian posted:

Wait wait wait...a bad opinion...from Rent-A-Cop?:monocle:
Shocking, I know.

Just saying that Dak Prescott could poo poo on a flag to a standing ovation right now.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Harris is of Japanese descent and the government would've had his relatives put into camps 75 years ago. It's remarkable but not surprising how ignorant officials are of U.S. history and civics.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Pastrymancy posted:

Harris is of Japanese descent and the government would've had his relatives put into camps 75 years ago. It's remarkable but not surprising how ignorant officials are of U.S. history and civics.

The slashing of education hard at work.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Pastrymancy posted:

His father was a white sailor stationed in Japan, and his mother was a Japanese citizen in Japan, so let's not get hasty making assumptions about the guy's family just because he's a POC. In other words no, neither of his parents or their relatives would have ended up in US internment camps.

e: Harris is still a dumbass.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 8, 2016

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

CrazyLittle posted:

e: Harris is still a dumbass.

That's the key point at the end of the day tbh.

Kaepernick still seems to have a stronger understanding of civics than him though.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Pastrymancy posted:

Kaepernick still seems to have a stronger understanding of civics than him though.

I'd chalk it up to pandering to his audience. It's a career military man speaking to soldiers. Of course the speech is going to be a variant of "amerikuh gently caress yah"

The remote possibility is that he's been under military code of justice for so long that he's forgotten... but I digress.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

shrike82 posted:

He has a strong stance against police lynching of black people, and no major party candidate had a strong anti-lynching platform. Who was he going to vote for?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

That's true especially with all the white people that came out saying not voting for Hillary both in the primaries and the GE was racist.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

shrike82 posted:

That's true especially with all the white people that came out saying not voting for Hillary both in the primaries and the GE was racist.

Hello friend, if you would like to be deeply loving stupid you should find someplace else to do it. Negrotown is an idiot-free zone.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

shrike82 posted:

Because there was only 2 realistic candidates, and yes, not doing the bare minimum to prevent fascism and open racism as a white person does make you racist, because silence is consent in situations wrt racism.

And Kap for as much as his protest, is kind of silly on the topic of voting in that regard, because white people have no problem with destroying themselves economically if it means putting his head on a pike. Ain't no "I'm on the sidelines because no one appealed to my ideological purity" when it comes to fascism.

Always bash the fash.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Hitler got below 38% of the vote in the 1932 elections, and yet the western world still loves to tar the entirety of Germany with the stain of his crimes, so I feel it's entirely fair and keeping with western tradition to stain anyone who didn't actively cast a vote for the only candidate that could have kept Darth Cheeto from office with a similar brush.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Hillary crushed CA and not even in anyone's wildest Karl Rovian fantasies was Hillary crushing CA not a foregone conclusion. Colin Kaepernick's vote didn't matter, and neither did the votes of more than 4 million other Californians. Because electoral college.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

negromancer posted:

Because there was only 2 realistic candidates, and yes, not doing the bare minimum to prevent fascism and open racism as a white person does make you racist, because silence is consent in situations wrt racism.

And Kap for as much as his protest, is kind of silly on the topic of voting in that regard, because white people have no problem with destroying themselves economically if it means putting his head on a pike. Ain't no "I'm on the sidelines because no one appealed to my ideological purity" when it comes to fascism.

Always bash the fash.

Yeah Colin is far from a perfect civil rights leader, but he's doing something, and the fat white turds burning his jerseys in effigy aren't.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Hitler got below 38% of the vote in the 1932 elections, and yet the western world still loves to tar the entirety of Germany with the stain of his crimes, so I feel it's entirely fair and keeping with western tradition to stain anyone who didn't actively cast a vote for the only candidate that could have kept Darth Cheeto from office with a similar brush.

Get this HotTake bullshit the gently caress out of here. The black issues thread is not a hangout for every marxoteen idiot who thinks alt-right D&D is too scary now.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Get this HotTake bullshit the gently caress out of here. The black issues thread is not a hangout for every marxoteen idiot who thinks alt-right D&D is too scary now.

I'm sorry, it appears I completely failed to communicate the intent I wanted with that post, I apologize.

I was trying to support Negromancer's post above mine and say that I don't feel it's problematic in the least to call white morons who voted third party or just plain didn't vote at all as complicit in the racism wave that got Trump elected. If you didn't vote Hillary, you are poo poo.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

He put a gently caress of a lot more of his livelihood at risk than I ever have, and where he lives his vote doesn't count for more than he used it for, so I can't throw stones there.

Now people who didn't use their vote for something the way he did or live in a state in question, gently caress em.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 9, 2016

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Is there something to be said, some weight or sway or influence that K (or better yet Kanye) could have or should have "bashed the fash" as well? While neither of their direct votes would have changed the outcome, their influence arguably could have.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

HotCanadianChick posted:

I'm sorry, it appears I completely failed to communicate the intent I wanted with that post, I apologize.

I was trying to support Negromancer's post above mine and say that I don't feel it's problematic in the least to call white morons who voted third party or just plain didn't vote at all as complicit in the racism wave that got Trump elected. If you didn't vote Hillary, you are poo poo.
You do realise that your Hitler-analogy would also implicate Hillary voters, right?

Anyway, the position that third party voters and non-voters are racists seems a bit hard to defend. It seems to predicate on the assumption that Hillary lost because of people voting third party, which itself is p. reductive. It also ignores the many, many legit reasons why people didn't or couldn't vote - voter suppression being one. Not exactly fair to throw them under the bus.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

CrazyLittle posted:

Is there something to be said, some weight or sway or influence that K (or better yet Kanye) could have or should have "bashed the fash" as well? While neither of their direct votes would have changed the outcome, their influence arguably could have.

Kanye is in the middle of a literal psychotic break. I'm not holding him responsible unless he keeps peddling that poo poo when he's done with his treatment. That said, he has said some dumb hosed up poo poo and I'm not absolving him him of that. More like saying, dude is mentally ill and needs help, that reportedly he's finally getting. Anything he is saying or has said (arguably since his mom died and he stopped getting treatment for his BPD) should be taken with the same pillar of salt you'd afford to your local corner hobo.

It honestly seems like a world of difference between "George Bush doesn't care about black people" Kanye and "I should've voted Trump" Kanye. And I don't just mean those singular statements but also other poo poo he was doing and the music and his other creative output.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 9, 2016

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

tbf everytime someone cancels a tour for one reason or another, they check themselves into treatment so who knows whether he's just pretending

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

shrike82 posted:

tbf everytime someone cancels a tour for one reason or another, they check themselves into treatment so who knows whether he's just pretending

Get the gently caress out. Mental health is already stigmatized especially in the black community. Donda straight up said he had BPD. He has rapped about his mental health issues for years. poo poo has been leaking from his hospital so much that they had to send put Emergency emails about HIPPA guidelines.

Seriously you are not welcome here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

shrike82 posted:

You are remarkably awful.

• Locked thread