Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Armitage posted:

Jecht is The Best and I can't even vote for him.

He does have the most appropriate RM in the game. Now we know why Tidus cries so much.

https://ffrkstrategy.gamematome.jp/game/951/wiki/Record%20Materia%20List_Heavy-Handed%20Father

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Oh hey, I got General Leo's SSB from a triple pull. :toot:

Not only is it a fancy Imperil Holy, it's also pretty drat bitchin' as far as SSBs go. I'm content with this outcome.

Also it means I can do the hilarious and make Selphie an offensive white mage in a holy team because I also have a 7* Physician's Staff which has +Holy on it. :getin:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Just got to the + battle for the Leo event and fuuuuuck you, Dr. Mog, we do not HAVE Mind Breakdown yet.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Why would you even want to mind break anything other than the oddly specific case of holy dragon.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Mind Break does reduce opponent's Mind resulting in shorter debuffs by them and longer ones by you.

That said, other than the Holy-wielding bosses (hi Yunalesca), you'd probably use Affliction Break instead to handle their debuffs.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Is there anything I can do to prepare for orbfest aside from spending all my stamina to get more stamina orbs? I'm not really spending gil or crafting anything

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

big cummers ONLY posted:

Is there anything I can do to prepare for orbfest aside from spending all my stamina to get more stamina orbs? I'm not really spending gil or crafting anything

No, that's it. Get as much stamina as you can, and at the same time hoard up as much mythril as you can. If OSBfest doesn't hit with this orbfest that happens to land on Christmas, I'll eat my (bacon) hat.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Just saw a Tyro in MO with Mug time and affliction break, what a god

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Did Edger ever get a BSB in Japan?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yep, during a Celes and Locke OSB event.

Edgar's Cape- Bio Chainsaw BSB: 6-hit AoE poison/non-elemental physical damage and inflict Poison and self attach Poison and enter Burst mode; gain "Bio Attack" 4-hit single-target ranged poison/non-elemental physical damage and small chance to inflict Poison/Blind/Silence and "Bio Bomb" 2-hit AoE poison/non-elemental ranged physical damage and small chance to inflict Poison/Blind/Silence

In action.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

yeah. 6 hit AoE poison/non, inflict poison and enpoison. Command 1 is 4 hit single target poison/non, command 2 is 2 hit AoE poison/non, both commands have a chance to inflict poison/blind/silence.
Edit: beaten, and with video too

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

So, uh, did we skip that

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Beasteh posted:

So, uh, did we skip that

Locke/Celes OSB event coming in... 3 months? Yes, Edgar got an OSB before he got a BSB.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 8, 2016

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
FF8 event done.

U+ was cheesed via Quistis BSB RW, although it wouldn't have been done without native Mighty Guard access so that one relic has again made a CM for FF8 tolerable (done in one try even!)

U++ was once again Celes sucking up all the magic with Indomitable Blade and spamming Tornado Strike + Snowspell Strike.

1. I am direly tempted to Record Sphere Celes.
2. Oh god the next event is FF6 help

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

*sigh* I knew I was going to regret pulling. :negative:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Finished up the Rematches.

RNG may factor but Cagnazzo was a lot more of a pain than Caius (who went down in my first attempt), and my IV synergy is marginally better than my XIII synergy.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The FFVIII Ultimate has been crazy-kind to me with drops. I've gotten 6 crystals from it (no stamina refreshes), only need two more until r2 Meltdown. :toot:

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 8, 2016

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

rare Magic card l00k posted:

The FFVIII Ultimate has been crazy-kind to me with drops. I've gotten 6 from it (no stamina refreshes), only need two more until r2 Meltdown. :toot:

You loving lucky bastard. I hate you.

I mean, congrats!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Thanks for reminding me of rematch dungeons, I forgot I had put them on the back burner. Cagnazzo isn't worth the headache at this point though.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

djfooboo posted:

Thanks for reminding me of rematch dungeons, I forgot I had put them on the back burner. Cagnazzo isn't worth the headache at this point though.

Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at. I'd just do it if he didn't have that AOE sleep and the physical Counter Stop but I'm just not interested enough to deal with that.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Managed all the Rematches first try this time.

I still don't understand how I managed Cagnazzo the first time I did this. Went with a mage team and half brute forced it this time - stacking a Faithga (even better if it's a Mage Shout since it's two Hastegas for countering slow) with the Onion BSB is really useful for both damage that completely avoids the changing resistances and putting you in an instant cast state for the lightning attacks if you want to avoid the Tsunami anyways. Went with Carbuncle because Counter stops and triple Waterja sucks. I did get lucky with no sleeps this time too.

Caius was easy this time around too. Just stuck Lightning in the backrow with Ammy's Draw Fire RM and that took care of the whole annoying opening gambit, and it was smooth sailing from there.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

It sure would be nice if Dr. Mog didn't stop suggesting we use imaginary skills that don't exist against FF6 bosses. First was "Life's Touch" on the Storm Dragon in the realm dungeons, now this weird "Mind Breakdown" thing that doesn't seem to be a thing that can be crafted... :downs:

(Yes, I know that technically this event happened after OSBfest and the Ultima Weapon mini-event that gave out Mind Break/down in JP. We should honestly be glad that reducing the Holy Dragon's MND isn't a mastery requirement.)

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

rare Magic card l00k posted:

The FFVIII Ultimate has been crazy-kind to me with drops. I've gotten 6 crystals from it (no stamina refreshes), only need two more until r2 Meltdown. :toot:

Die in a fire I mean I am so happy for you.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Koobes posted:

My curse has been lifted. 46th 100 gem pull finally nets me a 5*

I am so jelly. I hope I can get paid in time so I can justify dropping thirty dollars.

Good job on the drop!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Finally got Caius down, but jesus Cagnazzo is an absolute fucker. Don't think I'm going to be able to take him down.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Finally got Caius down, but jesus Cagnazzo is an absolute fucker. Don't think I'm going to be able to take him down.

I needed OK BSB as a RW to help counter mass-slow, which made native Dusk's Decree NECESSARY. I'd basically coil like a snake about to strike with lightning abilities, each command-1 of the BSB would do 20 to 30k damage. Tyro with lightning ninja skill did about 6k per shot, and Krile's native sheepsong was a live-saver (she also poured in thundaja/blizzajas).

It was just a grind, and required a lot of patience to avoid wasting charges. Barely made it.

Maybe bringing carbuncle would have been smart. Tsunami actually wasn't that bad, only about 1800k per person per hit. It was the watera/watergas once my wall went down that hosed me over.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

If you have Native wall/a Medica, you can just tank anything Cagnazzo throws at you and just blow him up with OK BSB chain mag commands

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
I've said this before and I don't know if this is the problem you're having, but just in case: Ice is a trap. Bring one copy of an Ice skill for the medal conditions. Other than that, bring as much Lightning as you need to break the water barrier and make sure everything else is non-elemental. Or Holy, Holy's fine too.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Got Shadow's BSB (and a Rosetta Stone Priest's Miter). Since his Burst commands are fast-cast and have the Ninja type, would it be worth giving him Hardened Assassin to increase the damage output instead of Ace Striker/Battleforged? He has Combat 4, so using Lifesiphon to build up the initial charge shouldn't be an issue. As for keeping it going, I've had fights where Vaan fired off an Ark Blast, and then manage to build up another full charge from spamming the Burst commands before the Burst itself wore off without Ace Striker/Battleforged, and I'm wondering if Shadow can do the same.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
Shadow's commands are fastcast, so if he can't get an immediate BSB again, he definitely can with one Lifesiphon(assuming any hits at all are striking him and assuming he gets six commands during Burst, which feels safe enough).

I'd sure as hell give him a relevant 30%+ damage materia if I had one.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

I've said this before and I don't know if this is the problem you're having, but just in case: Ice is a trap. Bring one copy of an Ice skill for the medal conditions. Other than that, bring as much Lightning as you need to break the water barrier and make sure everything else is non-elemental. Or Holy, Holy's fine too.
This is so true. Back when the fight was fresh I'd attempted to do it the intended way, but I ended up finding out (the next day) that it was better to just beat Cagnazzo up with raw damage while bringing along just enough abilities for the medal conditions. In my case I slammed his face in with my physical team, and avoided most of his stop counters with Magic Lure/Reflect RM, but if you've got a bunch of powerful magic SBs you can probably do just as well with them instead.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Got Shadow's BSB (and a Rosetta Stone Priest's Miter). Since his Burst commands are fast-cast and have the Ninja type, would it be worth giving him Hardened Assassin to increase the damage output instead of Ace Striker/Battleforged? He has Combat 4, so using Lifesiphon to build up the initial charge shouldn't be an issue. As for keeping it going, I've had fights where Vaan fired off an Ark Blast, and then manage to build up another full charge from spamming the Burst commands before the Burst itself wore off without Ace Striker/Battleforged, and I'm wondering if Shadow can do the same.

Shadow's Commands are an identical speed to Vaans, the damage output is going to matter more, toss on +30% damage Materia(or 40% ninja if you want to break Edge to 99 when we can get that)

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

the Orb of Zot posted:

I don't see anything wrong with this. If you have Indomitable Blade then she is a good character with an SB that'll continue to put in work on future magic-heavy bosses. Give the girl some motes

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

the Orb of Zot posted:

2. Oh god the next event is FF6 help

If you have her burst do it, I plan on doing it when I can get more motes.

I still don't like Celes guys. :c00lbutt:

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Indomitable Blade RW made Sorceress U++ pretty trivial, just had to save SBs for the final assault. Tempted to make an 11x pull on Banner 1 for a chase at IB, and also to try and get any of the below for the first time:

- Any SB for a physical darkness user;
- Any Insta-damage initial SB;
- Any Magic Blink;
- Any 5* VI Mind stick;
- And both CritUp and Last Stand would be brand-new as well.

I know that the most talked about future banners are XIV, OSB Fest, and Thunder God Cid, but how does this VI Banner 1 stack up with the rest of them? Does the unique nature of the AoE BSB plus the potency of Indomitable Blade + Snowspell Strike, plus my above list, make this one of the stronger banners in the coming months? Thanks for any feedback!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

djfooboo posted:

I just cleared all 3 thought in hindsight for Cagnazzo I should've gone with my original plan of only bringing one person with a lightning ability for the medals, since after mitigation I took around 1.2k from Tsunami and with an Eiko BSB for my RW it was trivial to keep healed while people just beat on him and Agrias ate all the counter stops via magic lure. Running Vaan and Noel BSB breakdown mania is amazing. Still had to restart the fight a bunch to get non-bullshit starts. Like haste-slowga-sleep or slowga-tsunami...etc.

I don't remember Caius being tough in the first fight against him, unless he insta-gibbed someone with his opening salvo. He almost killed Noel due to launch and his random target multihit but Noel lived with a silver of hp and got healed immediately and at that point it was the third turn of the fight, which meant Noel and Vaan had their BSBs ready to go since they run ace striker and battleforged and had each been hit at least once in the prior rounds.

I'd run weaker teams but this game has enough bullshit to not want to deal with in most cases.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I realized I had enough eggs to take Maria straight to 99 and immediately did so with no regrets.

Reliably hitting 6 hit Break casts in my mage team is the stuff of dreams. :iia:

Once she finally masters the BSB I can start giving her event relevant synergy for my RW, hooray!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Invisible Health Bar Ultimate multiplayer guy wiped me out at the last second and I wasn't quick enough to quit. Bastard. And I see he's just hosed off now. Still, I got the U+ afterwards so gently caress him.

And I guess I can start the VI Event now rather than waiting for 60 stamina. But I think I'll do in the easy multis first.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog

kalensc posted:

Indomitable Blade RW made Sorceress U++ pretty trivial, just had to save SBs for the final assault. Tempted to make an 11x pull on Banner 1 for a chase at IB, and also to try and get any of the below for the first time:

- Any SB for a physical darkness user;
- Any Insta-damage initial SB;
- Any Magic Blink;
- Any 5* VI Mind stick;
- And both CritUp and Last Stand would be brand-new as well.

I know that the most talked about future banners are XIV, OSB Fest, and Thunder God Cid, but how does this VI Banner 1 stack up with the rest of them? Does the unique nature of the AoE BSB plus the potency of Indomitable Blade + Snowspell Strike, plus my above list, make this one of the stronger banners in the coming months? Thanks for any feedback!

This isn't a bad banner at all-it has some distinctive stuff(The OSB is the only multitarget one as of JP, the Bursts are fantastic and Relm's is one of the best in general for survival) that those banners lack.

If you're doing it for Runic specifically, though, something interesting to look at is FF5's first upcoming banner-has an OSB on Gilgamesh(which isn't very good, but is on Gilgamesh), two really great Bursts for Krile and Galuf, Sheepsong, Dorgann's Boostga/Faithga, Trueblade, Galuf's weird invinco SSB, then the shared "booby prizes" are Moore Branch(Exdeath's Runic) and Bartz's Cloak(Bartz Enwind, +wind damage).

Not sure how much those are worth to you given your list is pretty specific, but it's worth mentioning since I'm currently trying to decide which I want to go for. Probably the FF5 one, though; While I need FF6 synergy more, I am dying for a Faithga. Cerberus Shell is getting old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Don't discount Leo's SSB on this banner either. It's got the cool feature of adjusting its damage output based on the number of targets so it's always going to do relevant damage whether you bring it to an AoE or a ST fight. To be more specific it does 480/540/600/750 potency to 4/3/2/1 targets respectively. The Imperil Holy is the cherry on top.

• Locked thread