Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Doctor Teeth posted:

I've had Solaris sitting on my shelf for ~4 years and haven't found the time to watch it. I really should get around to it at some point. How does it compare to other Tarkovsky movies?

It's one of the best, for sure. Gorgeous, thick visuals. It's a good "fever dream" movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Doctor Teeth posted:

I've had Solaris sitting on my shelf for ~4 years and haven't found the time to watch it. I really should get around to it at some point. How does it compare to other Tarkovsky movies?

It's really good. I place it just behind Stalker and Andrei Rublev, but very close to them.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Doctor Teeth posted:

It has way more driving in tunnels than any other Tarkovsky film. By, like, a substantial margin.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

SubG posted:

It has way more driving in tunnels than any other Tarkovsky film. By, like, a substantial margin.

Which makes it the best.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

SubG posted:

I never understood the internet complaints about Solaris being a slower movie than 2001, the length felt about the same to me when comparing them in my mind as an undergrad. But then I get to Zerkalo a couple weeks later and I think it took me well over 3 hours to get through that 90 minute movie because I didn't understand what the hell was going on.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Which makes it the best.
The driving stuff is good but I like the train riding in Stalker (1979) more.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The train in Stalker is pretty good but future Japan is hard to beat. It just needs some vaporwave.

Coaaab posted:

I never understood the internet complaints about Solaris being a slower movie than 2001, the length felt about the same to me when comparing them in my mind as an undergrad. But then I get to Zerkalo a couple weeks later and I think it took me well over 3 hours to get through that 90 minute movie because I didn't understand what the hell was going on.

I actually like The Mirror the most of Tarkovsky's works, it's a beautifully emotional tone poem.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Doesn't The Killers dvd have his short version as an extra on it?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Doesn't The Killers dvd have his short version as an extra on it?

It does. I just watched it recently, it was cool.

Spatulater bro! posted:

It's really good. I place it just behind Stalker and Andrei Rublev, but very close to them.

This is my ranking too.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Solaris is amazing and just as unique as films like 2001 or Brazil, because Tarkovsky is all over it, he didn't compromise any of his filmmaking style when he decided to do science fiction. I wish Tarkovsky had jumped around different genres a little bit more like Kubrick did, I'd love to see what he would have done with horror or a gangster movie, etc.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Solaris dvd have an easter egg button that shows the clip where the midget runs out the door?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Oh, one more Solaris thing: While he was making it Kurosawa was in the USSR at the same time making Derzu Uzala. He asked if he could meet Tarkovsky and it was arranged. He went to the space station set and asked to left left alone and just walked around it by himself for an hour. Later that day they went out drinking and Tarkovsky got very drunk and got up and started loudly singing the theme to 7 Samurai.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Solaris is my personal favourite Tark. It's incredible stuff.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The opening scenes of Solaris at the house where they play the tape of the interview are probably my favorite. The tranquility of the house and its surroundings combined with the bizarre, Lovecraftian account of the pilot is such an awesome way to set the stage for a science fiction movie.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
The ending to Solaris hit me like a ton of bricks because I watched it a couple days or so after my dad passed away.

It's on the list of Criterion Films That Made Me Cry Like a Babby along with The Thin Red Line (it's too beautiful ok).

Edit: I'm binging through Sam Fuller this week and I think South Side Pickup is my favorite so far.

Gorman Thomas fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 8, 2016

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Seeing Naked Kiss on 16mm in a crowded tiny theater full of people who were super into it was a revelatory experience.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Was it Sam Fuller who had the cameo in Pierrot le Fou

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Was it Sam Fuller who had the cameo in Pierrot le Fou
Yeah that was Fuller.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I watched The Naked Kiss and Shock Corridor last week. I love how all the weird touches are just how Fuller genuinely believes a movie should be.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Raxivace posted:

Yeah that was Fuller.

Only good part of the movie, imo

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Only good part of the movie, imo
As far as Godards go it doesn't do a lot for me.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Great title, though.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

i'll fight all of you

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Rusty Staub posted:

i'll fight all of you

*smashes beer bottle on ground and takes off shirt*
Let's go

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Rusty Staub posted:

i'll fight all of you

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Fight, don't fight. It doesn't matter. If every cut is a lie, then surely every fist thrown is as well.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Raxivace posted:

Fight, don't fight. It doesn't matter. If every cut is a lie, then surely every fist thrown is as well.

I'm gonna beat up everone who likes Pierrot le Fou because their opinion is different than mine, therefore wrong

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Pierrot le four is the only Godard besides Breathless that I really like. :jerry:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
They're all better than any Truffaut film that isn't Day for Night.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Yeah that was Fuller.

he has a cameo in The American Friend too, which is a loving outstanding movie.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

he has a cameo in The American Friend too, which is a loving outstanding movie.
I have that on blu-ray. I really need to sit down and give that a good watch.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Raxivace posted:

I have that on blu-ray. I really need to sit down and give that a good watch.

I saw it for the first time about a year ago when the restoration came out and it blew me away. Maybe a top 10 crime movie for me now, easily my favorite of the admittedly few movies I've seen by Wim Wenders (I think I'm the one person who doesn't really care for Wings of Desire).

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

So, there's a Facebook group called The Criterion Completion, all about collecting Criterions. I knew there were people who were obsessed with collecting every CC release with little regard for the film itself, but I didn't know were THIS MANY of them. I've seen multiple people refer to a release by its spine number instead of its title. And you look at a lot of their enormous collections and see half of them still shrink wrapped. :(

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Spatulater bro! posted:

So, there's a Facebook group called The Criterion Completion, all about collecting Criterions. I knew there were people who were obsessed with collecting every CC release with little regard for the film itself, but I didn't know were THIS MANY of them. I've seen multiple people refer to a release by its spine number instead of its title. And you look at a lot of their enormous collections and see half of them still shrink wrapped. :(

I'm trying to watch all of them including special features but I've been using my library to accomplish that. Currently on Sid and Nancy.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Magic Hate Ball posted:

They're all better than any Truffaut film that isn't Day for Night.

I would watch Love on the Run a lot sooner than Alphaville

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I saw it for the first time about a year ago when the restoration came out and it blew me away. Maybe a top 10 crime movie for me now, easily my favorite of the admittedly few movies I've seen by Wim Wenders (I think I'm the one person who doesn't really care for Wings of Desire).
Wenders is a huge blindspot for me. I haven't actually seen any of his yet, though I guess The American Friend will be my first.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I've just happened to have seen way more Truffaut than Godard, but I like them both a lot. There's even a tremendous amount of aesthetic and thematic symmetry between 'em, so why choose? Like, the closest analogy I can think of is Argento to Fulci.

Also, Goodbye to Language was a trip, I really got a thrill by it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Wenders is a huge blindspot for me. I haven't actually seen any of his yet, though I guess The American Friend will be my first.

Alice in the Cities is really good too, I've been meaning to watch the rest of The Road Trilogy.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I would watch Love on the Run a lot sooner than Alphaville

I love Alphaville.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I dig Wenders in general, but the angel films leave me cold. I feel kinda the same way about Altman's The Long Goodbye (1973), in that I have admiration for the film as a technical accomplishment (or however you want to say it---admiring the craftsmanship or whatever) without ever feeling like I connect with it. A film like Im Lauf der Zeit (1976) or Paris, Texas (1984) I feel like there's more interior space, more room to move around in, get the feel for the place, while Wings of Desire (1987) feels like something hanging on the wall that you just sorta look at for a moment, nod, and then move on. If that makes sense.