Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

doesn't help when she went on campaign wording intended to drive a wedge between economic reform and civil rights even though those two are attached at the hip

This is my feelings on the postmortem distilled down into one sentence. Good poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Phi230 posted:

Ignore is for cowards

plus whenever tatum or fulcrum start posting every post in the thread tends to be someone engaging with them so it's kind of useless

Serf
May 5, 2011

Fullhouse posted:

plus whenever tatum or fulcrum start posting every post in the thread tends to be someone engaging with them so it's kind of useless

this is actually a good point, I guess learn to skip their posts and anyone who replies to them because lol

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

it rings hollow when you aren't going to speak a single word against the organizations and companies (who are your Precious Donors) who perpetuate that poo poo though

um ill have you know wells fargo is deeply committed to minority interests

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Phi230 posted:

Ignore is for cowards

If you ignore people in C-SPAM, is it truly C-SPAM??? Makes you think.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Oh Snapple! posted:

um ill have you know wells fargo is deeply committed to minority interests

Of course, if minorities dont own houses how can they foreclose on them?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

It actually blows my mind that one can be in such a huff about Trump's *-isms while not being able to see that Clinton was just stirring the identity pot to her own ends. Both are very toxic and they feed off of each other.

I blame the BernieBros.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Homeless Friend posted:

If you ignore people in C-SPAM, is it truly C-SPAM??? Makes you think.

nah, only D&Ders who got lost

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I like this article:

http://www.mtv.com/news/2955564/skin-in-the-game/

quote:

The lesson we should draw from Clinton’s loss is not that white supremacy is unbeatable at the polls, but that it’s not going to beat itself. White people are not going to instinctively recoil from racist appeals, and neither are people of color going to flock to the polls to defeat them. If the Democratic Party would like to keep more Donald Trumps from winning in the future, they are going to have to take the extraordinary step of doing politics.

Maybe playing a video clip of Trump being bad and then making a funny face while saying "Bwah?!?" is not a winning strategy.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

AngryBooch posted:

I like this article:

http://www.mtv.com/news/2955564/skin-in-the-game/

Maybe playing a video clip of Trump being bad and then making a funny face while saying "Bwah?!?" is not a winning strategy.

I completely agree with this. We need to talk about the actual dangers of this poo poo not just show him say 'and we're gonna kick Muslims out' and go 'haha get a load of this guy right'. This election was a reminder that for many white voters there was nothing wrong with that, and for many minority voters that was just a super common thing to hear already that wouldn't rush them to the polls.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Like I've said before. Intersectionality is a thing. Clinton's campaign focused a lot on minority issues, and I don't think you can focus on that too much, but it clearly didn't intersect with anything on the economic axis which led to the campaign failing to get enough support from voters who voted primarily on economic issues. It had a lot of depth for basically no breadth at all.

You can and must address both economic and social issues, because they are heavily intertwined. You can't do just one of them.

nopants
May 29, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

trying to keep this forward looking to some extent:

Should the Democratic party and prominent Democrats stop being so racist?

I say yes.

TRUMP IS RACIST!

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I completely agree with this. We need to talk about the actual dangers of this poo poo not just show him say 'and we're gonna kick Muslims out' and go 'haha get a load of this guy right'. This election was a reminder that for many white voters there was nothing wrong with that, and for many minority voters that was just a super common thing to hear already that wouldn't rush them to the polls.

I think your understanding is mostly right but you're being too harsh on Trump voters because you expect them to have the same advanced understanding of morality as you do. Realize that you're in a tiny minority of people that make ethical decisions based on doing things like weighing good vs bad against your moral axioms. If you go look at voters' decisions from a less morally complex perspective, you'll find a lot more empathy with their decisions. I think something like this is a really good read to put a different Moral Hat on: http://www.simplypsychology.org/kohlberg.html

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

In Clinton's defense, the part about kicking out Muslims or putting them in camps is essentially unheard of and unprecedented in modern American politics. It's supposed to be the antithesis of what the United States stands for, and be absolutely repellent to our values. Instead, people just shrugged and didn't care. That was shocking to me.

I'm not saying Clinton made the right choices, but I am saying I can see what logic she and her campaign used in how they reacted to that rhetoric. Calling Mexicans rapists and saying we have to stop Muslim immigration is straight up evil to me, but it's clear now that I, a completely secular, liberal deviant, have a more stringent moral code than the religious right.

Nichael has issued a correction as of 20:11 on Dec 8, 2016

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Nichael posted:

In Clinton's defense, the part about kicking out Muslims or putting them in camps is essentially unheard of and unprecedented in modern American politics. It's supposed to be the antithesis of what the United States stands for, and be absolutely repellent to our values.

"From now on!" -The WWII generation, probably.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Nichael posted:

In Clinton's defense, the part about kicking out Muslims or putting them in camps is essentially unheard of and unprecedented in modern American politics. It's supposed to be the antithesis of what the United States stands for, and be absolutely repellent to our values. Instead, people just shrugged and didn't care. That was shocking to me.

I'm not saying Clinton made the right choices, but I am saying I can see what logic she and her campaign used in how they reacted to that rhetoric.

Lol if that was shocking to you you must not know a lot about America

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Here's an idea--perhaps you're both right, and Hillary had enough money to cover both ends.

Their polling told them that white working class Rust Belt voters were not going to vote for her, so she concentrated instead on turning out her base and appealing heavily to minorities. The problem came in the inherent assumption that speaking to people who disagree with you--or in Hillary's case, maybe don't even like you all that much--is a waste of time. We saw it with Bernie--his willingness to talk to people who normally would never even bother listening made them think "hey, you know, he might be a filthy liberal, but at least he has the courage of his convictions. I can respect that."

She had this baked-in reputation as an out-of-touch elitist snob, and instead of trying to confound expectations she intentionally fulfilled them. That, more than anything, was what was so aggravating. She cloistered herself away from the media, threw huge fundraisers with wealthy donors, and said things like the "basket of deplorables" poo poo. I'm not saying she should have pasted on a fake Southern accent and tried to be folksy and plain-spoken, but she didn't even make an effort to look like she cared.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nichael posted:

I'm not saying Clinton made the right choices, but I am saying I can see what logic she and her campaign used in how they reacted to that rhetoric. Calling Mexicans rapists and saying we have to stop Muslim immigration is straight up evil to me, but it's clear now that I, a completely secular, liberal deviant, have a more stringent moral code than the religious right.

I don't remember Trump ever saying he was gonna deport all Muslims. Just stop immigration of Muslims. Banning immigration of certain races or nationalities actually has a rich history in the US.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Venom Snake posted:

I'm a filthy NOVA yank but I love me some cornbread

Yankee or otherwise, them what don't hate cornbread I call cornrade.

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

it just pissed off a lot of the AFLCIO affiliates because they feel that the AFL is yet again giving us no real choice on who to endorse (the Bernie v Hillary stuff was v tumultuous for a lot of unions. vast majority of many of our rank-and-file wanted Bernie and felt betrayed that their Executive Boards went against their will and endorsed Hillary)

How big of a push would you say there is to change the executive board when elections come or would the hope be that the Ellison endorsement would take the heat off?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Alter Ego posted:

Here's an idea--perhaps you're both right, and Hillary had enough money to cover both ends.

Their polling told them that white working class Rust Belt voters were not going to vote for her, so she concentrated instead on turning out her base and appealing heavily to minorities. The problem came in the inherent assumption that speaking to people who disagree with you--or in Hillary's case, maybe don't even like you all that much--is a waste of time. We saw it with Bernie--his willingness to talk to people who normally would never even bother listening made them think "hey, you know, he might be a filthy liberal, but at least he has the courage of his convictions. I can respect that."

She had this baked-in reputation as an out-of-touch elitist snob, and instead of trying to confound expectations she intentionally fulfilled them. That, more than anything, was what was so aggravating. She cloistered herself away from the media, threw huge fundraisers with wealthy donors, and said things like the "basket of deplorables" poo poo. I'm not saying she should have pasted on a fake Southern accent and tried to be folksy and plain-spoken, but she didn't even make an effort to look like she cared.

I would add to this that she took her base for granted. Sure, she was never going to appeal to the out-of-work factory workers who would never ever vote for a Democrat in a million years, but surely the people in Milwaukee and Detroit and Flint and Philadelphia will offset them and hand her those states anyway. (People were saying this even on election night, And for good reason, since that's how it usually turns out.)

And then, for a variety of reasons, that didn't happen.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Nichael posted:

Maybe people got tired of the double standard of government officials running sanctuary cities in violation of federal law while simultaneously putting people in jail for not issuing marriage licenses or refusing to bake a cake. I will agree with you that calling Mexicans rapists and scapegoating Muslims is a bad thing, but outright refusing to enforce federal law to pad your voting rolls seems like a pretty lovely thing to do if you want to use the law as a cudgel at the same time.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Nichael posted:

I see you came from the America that didn't have a Chinese Exclusion Act.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I think your understanding is mostly right but you're being too harsh on Trump voters because you expect them to have the same advanced understanding of morality as you do. Realize that you're in a tiny minority of people that make ethical decisions based on doing things like weighing good vs bad against your moral axioms. If you go look at voters' decisions from a less morally complex perspective, you'll find a lot more empathy with their decisions. I think something like this is a really good read to put a different Moral Hat on: http://www.simplypsychology.org/kohlberg.html

I don't think I'm being too harsh because I've literally never claimed every single Trump voter is a KKK member who went to the polls shouting MUSLIMS AND MEXICANS OUT OF AMERICA despite what some people seem to think I'm saying.

My stance has always been that white nationalism was a major part of his campaign, and a large draw to a good bit of his voters. White nationalism is a specific term, it's the umbrella that white supremacists and white separatists and all those other groups fall under. That's why that term is used, because it can mean a ton of things. The woman who's quote sparked all this was speaking from a place of white nationalism. That doesn't mean she was demanding that we kick everyone darker than her out of the country, but it means her lens was one where 'white' is the default for 'real america' or whatever term she used I forgot. His framing of 'one america under one god under one flag' was one of white nationalism, because before saying that he spent his speeches talking about how immigrants are dangerous and the evil outside (((globalists))) conspire against real america and all that jazz.

White nationalism is a danger that has to be confronted not because every single person who subscribes to it is gonna go lynch a black guy or burn a church down, but exactly because that woman talking about how horrible it was that Clinton talked too much about those immigrants and minorities and not real everyday americans absolutely does not think there was anything wrong with that view of things. It's a pervasive, cancerous, mindset that Trump was able to tap into just like countless other politicians have, and that's why we need to do more than go 'get a load of THIS rear end in a top hat, right guys? Right?'

Nichael posted:

and, springboarding off that bit, I think while it's true Trump was a whole new level of overt bigotry, if you talk to Muslim activists and all most of them met that with 'well yes that's loving horrible but also it's actually nothing new'. There are plenty of functions in the government that are basically used to put muslims on a list and give the government just cause to do things like, say, tap mosques and all. That's the other side of the issue with just making a funny face at bigotry, a lot of the groups being targeted by it just kinda go 'yea, so he thinks the same as the past few presidents have?' Obviously they want that to stop, and yea a guy having surrogates go around saying 'hey ya know the internment camps worked for the Japanese...' is a for sure new flavor of horrible, but you need to give them more than 'this is bad' to hold onto.

I guess what I'm saying is a lot of the people shrugging who were actually part of those communities weren't so much going 'haha that wacky Trump, what WON'T he say' as they were going 'yea this is just what america has been for us anyway for the past while'.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't remember Trump ever saying he was gonna deport all Muslims. Just stop immigration of Muslims. Banning immigration of certain races or nationalities actually has a rich history in the US.

Phi230 posted:

Lol if that was shocking to you you must not know a lot about America

Admiral Ray posted:

I see you came from the America that didn't have a Chinese Exclusion Act.

I said modern American history. I knew people would respond with these points so that's why I said modern.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
So two important things I was reading about.

The 1st is health related:

U.S. life expectancy declines for the first time since 1993.

• 9 of the top 10 causes of death increased. Cancer being the only decline.
  • Death rates rose for white men, white women, and black men.
  • Death rates flat for black women and Hispanic men and women.
  • Life expectancy at age 65 did not fall.
  • Lower life expectancy occured in middle age or younger.

I can only believe things will worsen if the ACA is rolled back without a replacement.

The 2nd is economic related:

Upward mobility has fallen greatly and income inequality has surged.
  • Only half the children born in the 1980s grew up to earn more than their parents did, after adjusting for inflation. That's a drop from 92 percent of children born in 1940.
  • It finds barely 2 in 5 men born in the mid-80s grew up to earn as much, at age 30, as their father's did at the same age. It shows average rates of mobility falling particularly fast in Rust Belt states, most notably Michigan and Indiana. And it finds a much steeper drop in absolute mobility for the middle class than for the poor.
  • The bottom 50 percent of U.S. income earners only gained 1 percent in earnings from 1962 to 2014, after adjusting for inflation.
  • From 1980 to 2014 nearly 70 percent of income gains went to the top 10 percent.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

and, springboarding off that bit, I think while it's true Trump was a whole new level of overt bigotry, if you talk to Muslim activists and all most of them met that with 'well yes that's loving horrible but also it's actually nothing new'. There are plenty of functions in the government that are basically used to put muslims on a list and give the government just cause to do things like, say, tap mosques and all. That's the other side of the issue with just making a funny face at bigotry, a lot of the groups being targeted by it just kinda go 'yea, so he thinks the same as the past few presidents have?' Obviously they want that to stop, and yea a guy having surrogates go around saying 'hey ya know the internment camps worked for the Japanese...' is a for sure new flavor of horrible, but you need to give them more than 'this is bad' to hold onto.

I guess what I'm saying is a lot of the people shrugging who were actually part of those communities weren't so much going 'haha that wacky Trump, what WON'T he say' as they were going 'yea this is just what america has been for us anyway for the past while'.
Trump's stance, while practically not that different (as far as we know), is still extremely different and more hostile than past presidents to a degree I never thought we'd see. Yeah, you guys can call me naive or whatever, but I never thought we'd see discussions of loving ethnic camps in my lifetime. Even if he doesn't do the more outrageous aspects of his policy proposals, the very fact that it's discussed seriously, with merit, is a new frontier for modern America, and can lead down a lot of very dark paths.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Yankee or otherwise, them what don't hate cornbread I call cornrade.

GHF post more funny redneck commie memes plz. Thanks in advance. Also, thanks for trying to fix this hosed up idiot state at a local level. When I went to vote in the primaries the poll lady gave me a Republican ballot 2 times in a row even after correcting her, I can only assume it's because I was the only Democrat that voted in person that morning.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Nichael posted:

I said modern American history. I knew people would respond with these points so that's why I said modern.

not to be a dick, but modern American history probably starts sometime before our entry into World War 1.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Serf posted:

not to be a dick, but modern American history probably starts sometime before our entry into World War 1.

Uh I would say post World War II, or even later really. It's a nebulous term, admittedly. It definitely doesn't include the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Now this thread is really starting to look like a thread with word "Democrats" in the title. Way to go.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Nichael posted:

Uh I would say post World War II, or even later really. It's a nebulous term, admittedly. It definitely doesn't include the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882.

all I'm saying is, if a person is still alive right now, they probably experienced modern American history

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Nichael posted:

Trump's stance, while practically not that different (as far as we know), is still extremely different and more hostile than past presidents to a degree I never thought we'd see. Yeah, you guys can call me naive or whatever, but I never thought we'd see discussions of loving ethnic camps in my lifetime. Even if he doesn't do the more outrageous aspects of his policy proposals, the very fact that it's discussed seriously, with merit, is a new frontier for modern America, and can lead down a lot of very dark paths.

We tortured people, we all know about it, and everyone got away with it.

We are already in the darkness. We have been for centuries.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I don't think I'm being too harsh because I've literally never claimed every single Trump voter is a KKK member who went to the polls shouting MUSLIMS AND MEXICANS OUT OF AMERICA despite what some people seem to think I'm saying.

My stance has always been that white nationalism was a major part of his campaign, and a large draw to a good bit of his voters. White nationalism is a specific term, it's the umbrella that white supremacists and white separatists and all those other groups fall under. That's why that term is used, because it can mean a ton of things. The woman who's quote sparked all this was speaking from a place of white nationalism. That doesn't mean she was demanding that we kick everyone darker than her out of the country, but it means her lens was one where 'white' is the default for 'real america' or whatever term she used I forgot. His framing of 'one america under one god under one flag' was one of white nationalism, because before saying that he spent his speeches talking about how immigrants are dangerous and the evil outside (((globalists))) conspire against real america and all that jazz.

White nationalism is a danger that has to be confronted not because every single person who subscribes to it is gonna go lynch a black guy or burn a church down, but exactly because that woman talking about how horrible it was that Clinton talked too much about those immigrants and minorities and not real everyday americans absolutely does not think there was anything wrong with that view of things. It's a pervasive, cancerous, mindset that Trump was able to tap into just like countless other politicians have, and that's why we need to do more than go 'get a load of THIS rear end in a top hat, right guys? Right?'

If you're holding up the underlying tenets of White Nationalism as evil while twisting yourself into a pretzel to defend Islam you're basically undercutting your own argument. The problem is that both of those belief systems largely demand superiority over modern, secular, multicultural Democracies.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

new phone who dis posted:

If you're holding up the underlying tenets of White Nationalism as evil while twisting yourself into a pretzel to defend Islam you're basically undercutting your own argument.

what on earth

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Grondoth posted:

We tortured people, we all know about it, and everyone got away with it.

We are already in the darkness. We have been for centuries.

a bit flowery but yea pretty much. We've tortured muslims because some dude said 'uh yea I saw him at a terrorist club meeting, now give me my sweet sweet reward money'. We've sent moles into holy ground to say "BOY I SURE LOVE TERRORISM, WHO ELSE LOVES TERRORISM? YOU GUYS WANNA BOMB SOME WHITE PEOPLE?" and then when the imams don't instantly kick them out went 'SEE THE MOSQUES ARE HAVENS OF TERRORISTS'. We've elected countless people who ran on platforms of hate and bigotry to the Muslim world. There is nothing new about Trump other than he switched the dog whistle for the bullhorn and got praised for it because suddenly it meant he was 'telling it like it is'.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

If you're holding up the underlying tenets of White Nationalism as evil while twisting yourself into a pretzel to defend Islam you're basically undercutting your own argument. The problem is that both of those belief systems largely demand superiority over modern, secular, multicultural Democracies.
No.

Maybe people got tired of the double standard of government officials running sanctuary cities in violation of federal law while simultaneously putting people in jail for not issuing marriage licenses or refusing to bake a cake. I will agree with you that calling Mexicans rapists and scapegoating Muslims is a bad thing, but outright refusing to enforce federal law to pad your voting rolls seems like a pretty lovely thing to do if you want to use the law as a cudgel at the same time.
Are you saying that undocumented people are kept around to pad voting rolls? Because you know they can't vote right? And they don't?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

a bit flowery but yea pretty much. We've tortured muslims because some dude said 'uh yea I saw him at a terrorist club meeting, now give me my sweet sweet reward money'. We've sent moles into holy ground to say "BOY I SURE LOVE TERRORISM, WHO ELSE LOVES TERRORISM? YOU GUYS WANNA BOMB SOME WHITE PEOPLE?" and then when the imams don't instantly kick them out went 'SEE THE MOSQUES ARE HAVENS OF TERRORISTS'. We've elected countless people who ran on platforms of hate and bigotry to the Muslim world. There is nothing new about Trump other than he switched the dog whistle for the bullhorn and got praised for it because suddenly it meant he was 'telling it like it is'.
But the bullhorn is actually really significant, and to ignore it is naive in itself. It doesn't just mean things are getting worse, it also means any progress from the evil things we were doing prior has stalled.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Tatum Girlparts posted:

We drone striked a guy and his buddies because he was "around" the height of Osama bin Laden.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

If your belief system prioritizes your own sub-group over the rest of the population it's bad, no matter what the motivations are.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Nichael posted:

Are you saying that undocumented people are kept around to pad voting rolls? Because you know they can't vote right? And they don't?

actually I believe you'll find that president Trumps said they do, and therefore that makes it fact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

If your belief system prioritizes your own sub-group over the rest of the population it's bad, no matter what the motivations are.

except no one is asking for priority over anyone else, only equality?

• Locked thread