Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Welsper posted:

Anyone got experience with the alloy nib Vanishing Points?

Similarly smooth but much harder than the gold nibs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Everyone who wanted to sign up for the secret santa is in now, right?

Pilot Metropolitans now come in a 1mm stub in addition to the old F and M nibs. Goulet says it's the same as the Prera and Plumix 1mm stub, which is what I bashed onto one of my Pilots last month. It's still a fairly narrow line, but nice if you want a manageable width without giving up shading.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's great that you can get them now without having to buy a separate pen.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Oh poo poo. I didn't think I would ever want another Metro but a Metro stub sounds amazing.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
They only come in the retro pop colors and black, though. I want a gold one some day.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Buy a Plumix. Nib swap.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Yeah, but for the extra i would pay for a pen I probably wouldn't use it doesn't feel very economical just to get a specific color. It would probably be better to just get two Metros and swap the nibs because even though it would be more I would at least use them both.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
If I am looking for something a little better than the Metros and Safari I already have, is the TWSBI 580 a good pick? Is it different/better enough to be worth it? I'm probably hunting in the $40-$70 range. The stub piqued my interest but I'm open to suggestions.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

RichterIX posted:

If I am looking for something a little better than the Metros and Safari I already have, is the TWSBI 580 a good pick? Is it different/better enough to be worth it? I'm probably hunting in the $40-$70 range. The stub piqued my interest but I'm open to suggestions.

It's the step I took, and I'm happy with it after several months. TWSBIs do have an earned reputation for cracking, but apparently that's less of an issue with the current production methods. I take care to not over-tighten anything, and would hesitate to give anyone else the chance to abuse it--$80 CAD is a lot. I'll share a Metro with a cheerful, "don't press down hard," but I only let other fountain pen people get near the threads on my TWSBIs. I don't want to overstate the risks, but it's something to be mindful about. Their customer service has a good reputation, and I think they're hands-down the best demonstrators remotely in that price range.

I said much the same thing a couple pages ago, but the Diamond 580 and the Diamond Mini are very similar--the mini isn't a lesser version, but it does hold a little less ink. When posted, the mini is actually slightly longer than the 580. The main difference is that you can't post the 580 (don't try it, you might twist the piston and drip ink on the floor of a Starbucks *cough*) but you can post a mini quite nicely, and it even screws in place. If possible, try to hold one of each to see which fits your hand better. Otherwise, pick based on whether or not you want to post the lid while writing.

I love how easy it is to switch out nibs with these pens, incidentally. I keep a broad nib for daily writing and use fine or medium for cheaper paper. It's a little like getting an extra pen for the cost of a nib. The mini and 580 nibs are not interchangeable, however.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Pixelante posted:

Everyone who wanted to sign up for the secret santa is in now, right?

Pilot Metropolitans now come in a 1mm stub in addition to the old F and M nibs. Goulet says it's the same as the Prera and Plumix 1mm stub, which is what I bashed onto one of my Pilots last month. It's still a fairly narrow line, but nice if you want a manageable width without giving up shading.

Welp, I guess I do need another metro after all.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

If you want to give the TWSBI's a go before buying a more expensive one (I recommend the Vac 700 when you feel like getting one) try out an Eco. The feel like TWSBI for a much lower price. The demonstrator stub is really good.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

rio posted:

If you want to give the TWSBI's a go before buying a more expensive one (I recommend the Vac 700 when you feel like getting one) try out an Eco. The feel like TWSBI for a much lower price. The demonstrator stub is really good.

How different is the Eco from the 580? Since the 580 is in my price range I'd hate to spend on the Eco and then end up just wishing I had gotten the 580 instead. The Vac is cool but aesthetically I like the 580 and Eco better for some reason.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

The Eco has a slightly slimmer section, I think. It's also less pretty, but it seems more durable and has a slightly better ink capacity.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

RichterIX posted:

How different is the Eco from the 580? Since the 580 is in my price range I'd hate to spend on the Eco and then end up just wishing I had gotten the 580 instead. The Vac is cool but aesthetically I like the 580 and Eco better for some reason.

Vac suits my buddy PlaneGuy really well because ~science!~ and he likes to stick with one ink colour for more than five hours, unlike me. The vacuum fill makes it a bit trickier to load from sample vials, or to control the amount you get. (A syringe helps with that.) He's also got an Eco, which has the same nib quality, but has a less refined look. The logo on the finial is matte plastic instead of polished aluminum, the cap is lighter/boxier, and the body doesn't have the faceting that makes the other TWSBIs eye-catching. It's a very nice pen and I might get one for travel/conferences (less upsetting to misplace) but when you put it next to the other TWSBIs it's clearly the student pen, not the business pen.

If my 18-year-old godkid is still taking care of the Sidona fountain pen I gave him in the summer, I'll get him an Eco to start college with.

I love my 580 and wouldn't trade it for a Vac, though they are cool and feel just as high quality. I like piston fills, probably because it's what I started with. If your budget allows for it, and you know you're going to be using the pen, just get one of the Diamond line or the Vac line--especially if you only need one daily writer.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Okay so here's something odd

I live in Canada. I ordered a pen part from Germany (fountain pen section for a Rotring Freeway) and a Parker 21 for my Dad from Ontario (eastern Canada). They were shipped on the same day, the shipping charges were almost identical.

The item from Germany is here. The item from Ontario, my own country, is still not here.

How in the hell does that happen?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
What do you know about the space-time continuum?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

grack posted:

I live in Canada. I ordered a pen part from Germany (fountain pen section for a Rotring Freeway) and a Parker 21 for my Dad from Ontario (eastern Canada). They were shipped on the same day, the shipping charges were almost identical.

The item from Germany is here. The item from Ontario, my own country, is still not here.

Canada Post.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

grack posted:

I bought a pen from a japanese seller on ebay, and had it on my desk in 3 business days. I get something from Virginia, and it takes a week or more.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

neongrey posted:

Canada Post.

The package from Germany came registered mail though, so Canada Post had to handle it regardless. I just... have no idea. This has happened with packages from the UK as well.

MY MAIL SERVICE SHOULD NOT BE FORCING ME TO PONDER THE NATURE OF REALITY

Good nib, though.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

grack posted:

Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Where should we post about what our secret santas got us, this thread or the ss thread? I need to know where to put my photos of the dick shaped box that I am sure my present will arrive in.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Question for y'all: I was using my VP in front of someone I do community work with, and she loved it. She used to use them as a child, and she said she loves pens in general so it was funny that I was the same. If I wanted to get her a not too expensive one for Christmas, what would be one that wouldn't be too fiddly? I was thinking the good ol' Metro but I figured I'd get consensus first.

She did laugh at how I carry a few pens so I can switch to different colors as my fancy suits though :downs:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Shirec posted:

Question for y'all: I was using my VP in front of someone I do community work with, and she loved it. She used to use them as a child, and she said she loves pens in general so it was funny that I was the same. If I wanted to get her a not too expensive one for Christmas, what would be one that wouldn't be too fiddly? I was thinking the good ol' Metro but I figured I'd get consensus first.

She did laugh at how I carry a few pens so I can switch to different colors as my fancy suits though :downs:

It is hard to get a pen as good as the Metro for that price, so if we are taking about under 20 bucks then that doesn't include some other standard recommendations like the Safari. Another good one at that price that has a different look is the Muji MOMA fountain pen.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

grack posted:

The package from Germany came registered mail though, so Canada Post had to handle it regardless. I just... have no idea. This has happened with packages from the UK as well.

MY MAIL SERVICE SHOULD NOT BE FORCING ME TO PONDER THE NATURE OF REALITY

Good nib, though.

or they just took their sweet time putting it into a box and actually sending it out. I just ordered a bunch of stuff for a new computer and one company totally got a tracking number a full week before they had Canada post come pick it up.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

rio posted:

It is hard to get a pen as good as the Metro for that price, so if we are taking about under 20 bucks then that doesn't include some other standard recommendations like the Safari. Another good one at that price that has a different look is the Muji MOMA fountain pen.

You can grab a Safari for $18-23 on amazon, so it probably qualifies. I'd rather get a Safari than a Metro, for style reasons not quality reasons.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Anybody tried the Bullet Journal system? I know it's meant to be super customizable according to your personal habits, but I can't for the life of me figure out how some of the "default" stuff is supposed to work. What's the difference between an event and a task? And there's no visual indicator of an event vs. a task on the calendar page of the monthly log? If I rapid log a future event, do I write it down for the day as a task, which I migrate later? It looks like scheduling/migrating is only supposed to apply to tasks specifically.

Also, holy gently caress do people put way too much effort into their journals. All this washi paper and calligraphic adornments make me feel like these people spend more time on their journal than on the life they're supposed to record with it.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

404notfound posted:

Anybody tried the Bullet Journal system? I know it's meant to be super customizable according to your personal habits, but I can't for the life of me figure out how some of the "default" stuff is supposed to work. What's the difference between an event and a task? And there's no visual indicator of an event vs. a task on the calendar page of the monthly log? If I rapid log a future event, do I write it down for the day as a task, which I migrate later? It looks like scheduling/migrating is only supposed to apply to tasks specifically.

Also, holy gently caress do people put way too much effort into their journals. All this washi paper and calligraphic adornments make me feel like these people spend more time on their journal than on the life they're supposed to record with it.

I use it and it's a neat way to get down small pieces of information quickly but I had to gently caress around and start over a couple times when I was first trying it out. Probably a dumb question, but have you checked out the bullet journal reference guide PDF? I actually printed that out and carried it in my journal for the first couple months just so I could refer back to it.

Tasks are basically to-do items, like doing laundry or taking the cat to the groomer. Events are more like birthdays or a date. I separate my monthly calendar so I have dates on one page and a list of tasks on the facing page. I also distinguish between tasks and events in the calendar and daily log by what kind of bullet I use--tasks start with a simple dot that can be converted into a forward or backward arrow (if they've been migrated) or an "X" (if they've been completed). I don't rapid-log events until the day they happen. Until then, they are just listed in the calendar or future log.

And yeah, there's some folks out there that seem to miss the whole point of "it's supposed to be fast so you don't have to think about it" and go WAY overboard with making their journals pretty, but :shrug: who am I to judge? Mine's about as plain as can be.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

404notfound posted:

I totally agree some people are nuts and I've been doing it for a few months now! I love it combo'd with fountain pens and I'm finding it useful. Excuse my poor handwriting, this is my current setup:

Big thing is as you go along, you pick and choose what works. I stopped logging the big old month breakouts (future log) and my lists are minimal (more like to read and to watch kind of stuff). Events are scheduled, tasks are things you are doing or didn't get around to and will do the next time you write it down. You can def find your own symbols that work, I tend to only migrate tasks. People can go super nuts over this stuff (Pinterest boards a plenty) but I look at it for ideas/inspiration.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

What day is today?

Today is fuckin' Herbin Stormy Grey day.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 9, 2016

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I want to try bullet journaling but have gotten to the point that I don't process lists well as a thing to actually pay attention to. I just skim right over the words. I have to have my phone remind me of a task or it never gets done. Same with events. I am an organization failure.

It is a lot quicker to write something down than type on my phone. I set a lot of reminders by yelling at the Google assistant too, which is quick, but not as private as I'd like.

Maybe I will try again some day, if I can convince my brain to look at to-do lists in a timely manner and to understand that there are things I need to pay attention to in that block of text.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Anyone in here ever use Noodler's Whaleman Sepia? It looks cool and all, but everything about it on FPN is from like 5+ years ago, or referring back to 5+ years ago. Specifically I'm concerned about the flow,which seemed to be the bulk of the complaints. I pretty much only use fines, so something that won't flow right is kinda a no-go. Which is a shame, it's a pretty neat looking color, and I am looking for a new brown.

Any other interesting suggestions for browns?

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Zenostein posted:

Anyone in here ever use Noodler's Whaleman Sepia? It looks cool and all, but everything about it on FPN is from like 5+ years ago, or referring back to 5+ years ago. Specifically I'm concerned about the flow,which seemed to be the bulk of the complaints. I pretty much only use fines, so something that won't flow right is kinda a no-go. Which is a shame, it's a pretty neat looking color, and I am looking for a new brown.

J Herbin Lie de The? It really does look like tea stains on paper when dried. Flows well, too.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Is that darker than Cafe' des Iles? Because that's what I've got now — it's nice, but a) seems to have evaporated some over the past 5-ish years or however-long I've had it, and b) is fairly light (especially due to the fine points, it looks great out of a dip pen).

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Zenostein posted:

Bungbox Piano Mahogany, but that's $$$$

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I'm a big fan of Monteverde Brown, personally. Lighter, shading brown with really solid flow characteristics.

grack fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 9, 2016

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Zenostein posted:

How about Iroshizuku Tsukushi? It's a bit lighter than Whaleman's Sepia according to Goulet's swab tool but I really like it. Or maybe De Atramentis Document Brown? That one seems fairly close if you're looking for that shade of brown.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Edit: Ignore this

grack fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 9, 2016

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Zenostein posted:

Is that darker than Cafe' des Iles? Because that's what I've got now — it's nice, but a) seems to have evaporated some over the past 5-ish years or however-long I've had it, and b) is fairly light (especially due to the fine points, it looks great out of a dip pen).

It's honestly a great match for tea stains, from light to dark brown. I'd say it's going to be a bit light in a fine nib, especially if it's dry. It's about on the same saturation level as Cafe des Iles from what I can tell. Maybe a little darker per this review.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Bought my first vintage pen for a first attempt at restoration!

A Conway Stewart 15 from the 1950s, then there's a few ink sacs, some polishing compound, wax and shellac on the way to hopefully bring it back up to scratch. Unfortunately we can't buy pure ammonia in Australia for flushing the nib, but a soak seems to have done it good, the sac was obviously shot, but the fill bar/lever is in good working condition.

Once it's restored it'll also be my first pen with a gold nib, so that's exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

You can use white vinegar in place of ammonia.