Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

this thread is so easy to troll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

new phone who dis posted:

Hey man, I'm just a guy who's lived at the border for my entire life who is neck-deep in these problems every day, but by all means continue to lecture me on what's real.

wait, you're living under sharia law every day?

what border is this exactly

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Alter Ego posted:

You, uh...do realize that you just invalidated your point then, right? Islam itself isn't the problem. It's an exclusionary mindset brought on by putting religious zealots in government positions.

Both Islam and Christianity are branches of the same Bronze Age barbarism that we should be minimizing as much as possible instead of treating their beliefs as sacred as they think they are.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Zikan posted:

There are multiple posters who do it on a daily basis.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

No, you don't. The left largely treats Muslims as abused children and goes way out of their way to defend stupid poo poo done in their community that it would viciously attack in similar Christian communities in a heartbeat. If you can't see this double standard, then that's part of the problem. Just look at the way mass shootings are covered by the media in regards to the motivation of the shooter and you can see the implicit bias.
Is anyone defending "stupid poo poo" done in any community? Do you think any of us like far right, extremist Muslims? Or for that matter, far right, extremist anyone? All that's being said is Muslims are largely just like everyone else, and most practice a moderate form of their faith, as is the case with most people of any religion.

Zikan posted:

Yeah, I'm done replying to him.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Both Islam and Christianity are branches of the same Bronze Age barbarism that we should be minimizing as much as possible instead of treating their beliefs as sacred as they think they are.

You're that "face of atheism" guy, aren't you?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Your recent work has been cringe-inducingly bad, Dr. Dawkins.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Your recent work has been cringe-inducingly bad, Dick Dorkins.

Fixed.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Your recent work has been cringe-inducingly bad, Dr. Dawkins.

Dawkins has kinda gone downhill since his work on memes

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

No, you don't. The left largely treats Muslims as abused children and goes way out of their way to defend stupid poo poo done in their community that it would viciously attack in similar Christian communities in a heartbeat. If you can't see this double standard, then that's part of the problem. Just look at the way mass shootings are covered by the media in regards to the motivation of the shooter and you can see the implicit bias.

Well yeah, every mass shooter with a vaguely Middle-eastern name gets painted as a Muslim terrorist within minutes, while Christians who shoot up abortion clinics and minority businesses are treated as lone wolves with absolutely no blowback on the community as a whole. That's why we're talking about Muslim registries and not Christian ones, right?

Nice own goal.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

AngryBooch posted:

I like this article:

http://www.mtv.com/news/2955564/skin-in-the-game/

quote:

The lesson we should draw from Clinton’s loss is not that white supremacy is unbeatable at the polls, but that it’s not going to beat itself. White people are not going to instinctively recoil from racist appeals, and neither are people of color going to flock to the polls to defeat them. If the Democratic Party would like to keep more Donald Trumps from winning in the future, they are going to have to take the extraordinary step of doing politics.
Maybe playing a video clip of Trump being bad and then making a funny face while saying "Bwah?!?" is not a winning strategy.

:perfect:

Nichael posted:

Is anyone defending "stupid poo poo" done in any community? Do you think any of us like far right, extremist Muslims? Or for that matter, far right, extremist anyone? All that's being said is Muslims are largely just like everyone else, and most practice a moderate form of their faith, as is the case with most people of any religion.

I don't feel like digging through dozens of articles looking for examples to cite but there was quite a lot of apologism for the cultural deficiencies of certain middle eastern nations when it was still hot to talk about syrian refugees (so, pretty much right up until the Pulse shooting)

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Nichael posted:

There is absolutely a completely different standard applied to say, a Dylan Roof than there is to the couple who shot up that holiday party last year. When Dylan shoots up a black church, we go on the hunt for White Nationalists, ferreting out their belief systems and lumping everyone who even says vaguely similar poo poo onto the same category. When it's a Muslim incident, we rant about guns and the need for tolerance, and a completely different set of standards for the media is invoked when even suggesting that someone might want to investigate their places of worship or social groups because we don't want to look intolerant.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

I was saving that for his response! :mad:

loquacius posted:

Dawkins has kinda gone downhill since his work on memes

Agreed. He used to write actually thought provoking stuff (no, really!), but he's gone so far up his own rear end I doubt we'll see anything worthwhile from him again any time soon.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Mirthless posted:

Maybe playing a video clip of Trump being bad and then making a funny face while saying "Bwah?!?" is not a winning strategy.

:perfect:

I don't feel like digging through dozens of articles looking for examples to cite but there was quite a lot of apologism for the cultural deficiencies of certain middle eastern nations when it was still hot to talk about syrian refugees (so, pretty much right up until the Pulse shooting)
[/quote]

The fact that people can't even admit this or are blind to it is one of the problems Dems are having right now.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

mods change my name to "The Muslim Incident" tia

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

There is absolutely a completely different standard applied to say, a Dylan Roof than there is to the couple who shot up that holiday party last year. When Dylan shoots up a black church, we go on the hunt for White Nationalists, ferreting out their belief systems and lumping everyone who even says vaguely similar poo poo onto the same category. When it's a Muslim incident, we rant about guns and the need for tolerance, and a completely different set of standards for the media is invoked when even suggesting that someone might want to investigate their places of worship or social groups because we don't want to look intolerant.

Muslims have contributed more to civilization than white nationalists ever could; ostracizing them from society would be a net benefit.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

:psyduck: This is like the complete opposite of what happens in domestic terrorism incidents. Are you Bill Kristol IRL?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

MizPiz posted:

Muslims have contributed more to civilization than white nationalists ever could; ostracizing them from society would be a net benefit.

This depends greatly on your definitions of both White Nationalism and civilization. Also, the Greeks are considered the Fathers of modern Democracy but I'm not sure we should be looking to them for advice at the moment.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Hahaha yes, this is an accurate description of reality, and not its polar opposite. It is the poor white man who is endlessly investigated and has his allegiance called into question following mass shootings, while the perfidious musselman skates by on clouds of political correctness gone mad when it is one of his barbarous lot who does the same.

You loving idiot.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

MizPiz posted:

It's pretty telling that people specify white nationalists while comparing them to Muslims as a whole instead of specifying wahabbis or what ever

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Nazis should be shot imo

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Alter Ego posted:

:psyduck: This is like the complete opposite of what happens in domestic terrorism incidents. Are you Bill Kristol IRL?

I'm talking about the way that the Dem/Progressive media handle it. The way law enforcement approaches it is pretty much irrelevant to the election process, but if you want to talk about how the Dems are failing to reach a large part of the country and losing elections all over, this is an underlying reason. There's a giant, dumb double standard within that community that most people notice and it turns them off.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Venom Snake posted:

I'm glad that a Muslim will be DNC chairman

Him being a muslim is the least interesting part for me, well second least interesting.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Dude is in the wrong thread if he is looking for people that defend Clinton's and Obama's foreign policy and support Saudi Arabia.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

This depends greatly on your definitions of both White Nationalism and civilization. Also, the Greeks are considered the Fathers of modern Democracy but I'm not sure we should be looking to them for advice at the moment.

Agreed, we should make a middle eastern empire the world leader and go back to being barbarian mercenaries.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Too Shy Guy posted:

Well yeah, every mass shooter with a vaguely Middle-eastern name gets painted as a Muslim terrorist within minutes, while Christians who shoot up abortion clinics and minority businesses are treated as lone wolves with absolutely no blowback on the community as a whole. That's why we're talking about Muslim registries and not Christian ones, right?

Nice own goal.

We don't have tens of thousands of white christians trying to immigrate into the country from a place where we are currently at war with like a dozen different groups who all look like said refugee group

I don't side with the right on this issue but I at least recognize I am in the minority of Americans. Most people are loving terrified of islamic terrorism and you're not going to convince them they're being irrational by telling them they're being irrational. We didn't have the political capital to make a refugee push happen, so why did we waste political capital on it at all?

Another dumb thing the we have consistently done: Pointed out that our domestic islamic terrorists were home-grown terrorists who weren't officially affiliated with Isis. No poo poo, really?! Technicalities don't erase body counts! If Isis is taking credit and the shooters did the shooting in the name of Isis, the fact that they didn't have an official ISIS corporate credit card is probably not worth mentioning but it does make us look like weak intellectuals who obsess over semantics.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
All white people are responsible for white peoples actions

Agree? Y/n

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Mirthless posted:

We don't have tens of thousands of white christians trying to immigrate into the country from a place where we are currently at war with like a dozen different groups who all look like said refugee group

I don't side with the right on this issue but I at least recognize I am in the minority of Americans. Most people are loving terrified of islamic terrorism and you're not going to convince them they're being irrational by telling them they're being irrational. We didn't have the political capital to make a refugee push happen, so why did we waste political capital on it at all?

Another dumb thing the we have consistently done: Pointed out that our domestic islamic terrorists were home-grown terrorists who weren't officially affiliated with Isis. No poo poo, really?! Technicalities don't erase body counts! If Isis is taking credit and the shooters did the shooting in the name of Isis, the fact that they didn't have an official ISIS corporate credit card is probably not worth mentioning but it does make us look like weak intellectuals who obsess over semantics.

So what is your solution, then? Stay silent while Donald Trump squawks about halting Muslim immigration to the United States? I'm honestly curious--what do you say in the face of people who think the only solution to the problem is "throw all the brown people out"?

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

MizPiz posted:

Agreed, we should make a middle eastern empire the world leader and go back to being barbarian mercenaries.

bring back byzantium

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
what the gently caress happened itt

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Byz was always a third rate Rome

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
DnD posters raus

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Alter Ego posted:

So what is your solution, then? Stay silent while Donald Trump squawks about halting Muslim immigration to the United States? I'm honestly curious--what do you say in the face of people who think the only solution to the problem is "throw all the brown people out"?

an honest look at our monstrous foreign policy, which legitimately makes the world unsafe for everyone, would probably be a better rhetorical starting point than "actually everything is fine and your perceptions are incorrect"

bernie did a decent job of this at the foreign policy debate but the Serious Liberals brushed him off for not being bloodthirsty enough

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

bump_fn posted:

what the gently caress happened itt

Dick Dorkins paid us a visit

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Fullhouse posted:

an honest look at our monstrous foreign policy, which legitimately makes the world unsafe for everyone, would probably be a better rhetorical starting point than "actually everything is fine and your perceptions are incorrect"

bernie did a decent job of this at the foreign policy debate but the Serious Liberals brushed him off for not being bloodthirsty enough

Sounds like we're already on the way there, then. Democrats certainly shouldn't be campaigning on bloodthirstiness when the war elemental himself is president.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Alter Ego posted:

My solution would have been to understand this was an issue the American people just didn't care about - no matter how much I didn't like that fact - and focused on issues that I could convince them were important, instead. This is opposed to what we did do, which was attempt to passive aggressively guilt trip America into realizing they were being dicks.

There are times and places to fight certain battles. Fighting a battle for the souls of syrian refugees is noble, but we chose a lovely time to do it and there's a lot more people who are going to be hosed as a result, and I am way more likely to meet any one of these people than I am to meet the syrian farmer family who genuinely deserve health and safety but are literally ten thousand miles away from me now when there are people starving in my city

edit: for the record I am not saying "because we want to do one, we cannot do another", so much as I am saying "(in part) because we tried so hard to do this one thing, now we can't do it or anything else"

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 21:15 on Dec 8, 2016

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Fullhouse posted:

bring back byzantium

The Empress Theodora cannot fail, she can only be failed.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

punk rebel ecks posted:

This is interesting. Where can i find some more info in economics and what not? And yes I leaned toward the MMT types. Has any country implemented MMT policy?

http://neweconomicperspectives.org/modern-monetary-theory-primer.html

Have fun.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Mirthless posted:

My solution would have been to understand this was an issue the American people just didn't care about - no matter how much I didn't like that fact - and focused on issues that I could convince them were important, instead. This is opposed to what we did do, which was attempt to passive aggressively guilt trip America into realizing they were being dicks.

There are times and places to fight certain battles. Fighting a battle for the souls of syrian refugees is noble, but we chose a lovely time to do it and there's a lot more people who are going to be hosed as a result, and I am way more likely to meet any one of these people than I am to meet the syrian farmer family who genuinely deserve health and safety but are literally ten thousand miles away from me now when there are people starving in my city

this is spineless bullshit. There are a lot of Democratic voters that care about the refugee issue and it would have been a disservice to ignore it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
black people are the real racists

• Locked thread