Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Oleyo posted:

Fair point. I don't really mind off-topic garbage myself. *flinches and peers around, expecting a blow from Marching Powder*

Right. I have YET to see ANY of the many SA forums threads I have bookmarked stay 100% on topic, 100% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

MeLKoR posted:

The Stimperor prevails! o4

Wait. Shouldn't that be just "o"?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Samizdata posted:

Wait. Shouldn't that be just "o"?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

As the game continues to be delayed the community slowly loses people who are willing to tolerate CIG. Those who are left are the most... dedicated to development.

It's one of the reasons I haven't been as active. I don't want someone showing up at my door.

A furious nerd shows at la maison Bière, looks at the 3 meter-tall front door, then calmly turns back.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Video games should be like real life, where nobody you work with ever mentions their same-sex spouse or partner, and lady soldiers wear layered bustiers because that is a super practical outfit for fighting.

Also, maybe Derek isn't a pizza fan because he can't eat wheat or cheese? Gluten-free pizza is just not that good, and neither is pizza with vegan cheese substitutes. (There is a place here that advertises gluten-free, dairy-free pizza, and my assumption is that it's some kind of CIA torture cell.)

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

AlbieQuirky posted:

Video games should be like real life, where nobody you work with ever mentions their same-sex spouse or partner, and lady soldiers wear layered bustiers because that is a super practical outfit for fighting.

Also, maybe Derek isn't a pizza fan because he can't eat wheat or cheese? Gluten-free pizza is just not that good, and neither is pizza with vegan cheese substitutes. (There is a place here that advertises gluten-free, dairy-free pizza, and my assumption is that it's some kind of CIA torture cell.)

Maybe it's because pizza is overpriced cheese on toast for wankers? :shrug:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Heat Ray Tank posted:

For consideration by your ingenious mind, I provide an idea and a design that could give the Motherland a weapon of unseen all-conquering power. This force can defeat any number of tanks, planes, guns, ships, fortresses, cavalry, or infantry, and can be achieved from this proposed idea.

"Physics" posted:

The idea consists of the following:

A temperature of over 20,000 degrees is created and transmitted to a distance from 0.001 km to 50 km, burning everything instantly in its path (bodies, cloth, fuel, metal, armour, concrete, stone, ammunition, ships, guns, etc).
  1. Imagine a welding torch, which usually gives a flame that is 700-1000 degrees at the tip. It is known that if air pressure is increased and the design is made more robust, the length of the flame can be made as long as that of a flamethrower.
  2. Imagine that instead of welding torches, there are special nozzles that shoot flame at long ranges.
  3. Imagine that we have 100 such nozzles and that they are fixed on a disk in such a way that they all converge on one point.
  4. In this place, the heat from one nozzle would be 700-1000 degrees, from two almost twice as much (1100-2000 degrees), from three almost 2.5 times as much, etc.
  5. The concentration of 100 flame jets in this point will be (like light collected with 100 lenses) much stronger than just one jet, minus losses for heat loss and dispersion.
  6. It is known that a heat ray can travel millions of kilometers, loses very little energy. It is known that the collection of heat from all the lenses will be nearly equal the sum of all heat from individual lenses. It is known that air will steal little heat, as the air high in the mountains is cold even though it is closer to the sun, since it is heated by the ground and not the sun.
  7. All this means that the point of convergence of all 100 jets will be at minimum 20,000 degrees, and maximum 100,000 degrees.
(x*100)-y=z
Where x = the temperature of one flame jet
100 = 100 nozzles
y = loss of heat (0%-80% of the heat)
z = 20,000 degrees to 100,000 degrees
Maximum range: 50 km

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 8, 2016

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Sunswipe posted:

i'm a wanker, i'm a cheese lord

what the hell am i doing here?

eating pizza, not playing sc

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Sunswipe posted:

You really need to try some Pizza Bianca. You might think of it as just bread though.

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal

Tippis posted:

But you might catch something :stonk:

e: Also, I'm pretty sure he'd resist because he'd think he might catch something. Like rational thought — that most insidious of viruses threatening to destroy the very foundation of starcitizenshipdomness.

Cuddies are known to be passed via modes of physical interaction with people.

But in all seriousness, I think several of these die hard whales would do well with a hug and a reassurance that someone cares about their well being.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Sunswipe posted:

Just means you don't know how/where to get good pizza. There are of course dark horrible places where good pizza is impossible to get unless you make it yourself. Maybe derek lives in one of those places.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Eldragon posted:

There are of course dark horrible places […]. Maybe derek lives in one of those places.

But enough about Florida.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8wTqdDXplc&t=48s

Todays AtV posted:

We are hoping to release the PTU in the next few days

zoinks scoob!

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Pineapple on pizza is good, but go for Pepperoni instead of canadian bacon.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
I'll read all of these 10 thousand word long posts later. but in the mean time I'd like to respectfully remind everyone in this thread to call or visit your parents wherever possible, because they love and care about you

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

more sick as hell SQ42 footage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8wTqdDXplc&t=942s

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

That is loving idiotic.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That is loving idiotic.

unrelated, i posted about a nice beer in your honor :( have you tried hitachino's 3 days?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Unironic Star Citizen org called harass and molest.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/HNM/members

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

:laffo: they seriously believe mo-capping an aircraft carrier launch procedure is some kind of ground-breaking achievement.

Then present it in the most boring way possible.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

trucutru posted:

A furious nerd shows at la maison Bière, looks at the 3 meter-tall front door, then calmly turns back.

My dogs are really friendly. Well, I mean the Pit Bull is kind of neurotic but the Rottweiler is really nice.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

The big laughs start at 14:45, this has got to be one of the stupidest things put into a game.

ahmini
May 5, 2009

Just needs a Kenny Loggins backing track.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I mean I'm irrationally irritated at how loving stupid that is. 900 years in the future and they need five guys running around doing some bullshit choreography from when giant airplanes were launched with steam off of ships.

Gee, I wonder how other space sims do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15zbowAlZPs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SI1CB4rcf8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLvVqRPVSWI

Yeah it definitely makes more sense to have five guys sit around getting ready to take a face full of plasma exhaust.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

unrelated, i posted about a nice beer in your honor :( have you tried hitachino's 3 days?

I haven't. What kind of beer is it?

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

this was hands down one of the worst AtV's they've put out in a long time. Under 20 minutes, almost entirely recycled content, that dreadful SQ42 footage (also recycled), Steve Bender looking like he just wants to end himself, and almost no information about the live-stream next week. And this was the "season finale". lol.

Hopefully they have some big showstoppers for the livestream next week, but it's not really characteristic of CIG to be so tight-lipped if they had something cool to show. They're treating it like it's an extended RtV or something similarly low-profile.

Unsurprisingly the episode is leading to some reflection on the year at large.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5h9caq/is_that_all_this_week/

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

In the 80's Battlestar Galactica didn't need a group of mimes to launch <<USE>> a fighter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XcBsmVgC3s

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

it is hilarious and cool to me how similar CRAZY DREAM TANKS are to the many, many ideas proposed by star citizen backers

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

did you notice the loving watch? Isn't that the same croberts has?

Nvm the guy who actually had to spend time on it.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

did you notice the loving watch? Isn't that the same croberts has?

Nvm the guy who actually had to spend time on it.

i don't know who this yellowshirt fucker is but after watching the video i hate him

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I mean I'm irrationally irritated at how loving stupid that is. 900 years in the future and they need five guys running around doing some bullshit choreography from when giant airplanes were launched with steam off of ships.

Yeah it definitely makes more sense to have five guys sit around getting ready to take a face full of plasma exhaust.
But there's a blast shield! It's amazing how cobbler has such a lack of creativity that in the 1000 years before his moviegame takes place, humanity hasn't figured out a more efficient way to launch something from a carrier.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

:catstare:

That just looks so loving bad.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Never miss arm day bro.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Okay so I know it's already been said, but what the hell? Why are they doing catapult procedures for a hovering ship? There's no gravity, you idiots. There's no ocean. You do not need to reach minimum airspeed in order to avoid crashing- you can just float out of the bay. Also I like the part where they order the ship to throttle up while in a hover and somehow the magic air brakes keep it still on the deck.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
Theres the rule of cool and theres this. Its just dumb

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Polish Avenger posted:

Imagine the sounds....

No actually don't.

Kinda like breaking a stick underwater while a servomotor whines a bit louder and higher pitched for a split second as it overcomes a brief point of additional resistance before the screaming starts.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

DapperDon posted:

Never miss arm day bro.

No kidding. That dudes back is huge. Arms? Not so much.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
If this is what they are showing off there is no way we'll see a sq42 release in the next 6 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Gee, I wonder how other space sims do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15zbowAlZPs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SI1CB4rcf8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLvVqRPVSWI

You must also really hate Star Wars.