Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

no it's a steam bidet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Fasdar posted:

I may be misunderstanding the type of heater. When I was a child we had electric in-wall heaters that could have easily started toilet paper on fire.

If it's electric it's not a great idea. If it's hot water it's fine.

I've had both electric and water baseboard heat and I can't tell for sure which that is. Neither of mine had access hatches like that. My guess would be it's electric and that's an access hatch for a thermostat knob but I guess it could be water and there's a knob in there to interrupt the water flow.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
It could also be a forced steam heating system, I think -- we had floor radiators like that in a few tenement-style apartments here in Rhode Island, and I don't think they were actually forced water. I hate those types of radiators, regardless; that outer casing is rickety as gently caress and always looks dented up and filthy no matter how hard you work to take care of it. Maybe that's just my experience from indifferent landlord maintenance. :negative:

The idea of using one to convert your terlet into a heated bidet is hilarious though.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

VectorSigma posted:

no it's a steam bidet

there's only one way to really get clean, inside and out

it hurts the first time, though

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
modedit: big gif
http://i.imgur.com/xet8btu.gif

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 9, 2016

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Don't take selfies on train tracks!

http://www.up.com/aboutup/community/inside_track/selfie-tragedy-12-7-2016.htm

quote:

Kelsea Webster, 15, Essa Ricker, 15, and Savannah Webster, 13, did not hear the horn blasting as the approaching train's headlights created a halo in their final selfie.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Lars Blitzer posted:

Not really, just warm enough to evaporate quicker than normal. The scale gets left behind, and can be basic enough to eat through most soft metals. Like copper and brass, for example. :science:

Precipitate, not sublimate.

gently caress

The Wiggly Wizard fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 8, 2016

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

I'm sorry but holy Lmao

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1GoJk7BKd4

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

First off: How the gently caress could you not hear that? IT IS REALLY loving LOUD. I'm deaf as gently caress and a train horn is REALLY LOUD.
Second: Laffo at that third one being 13. Looks like a 40something worn out methhead.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

First off: How the gently caress could you not hear that?

Because (as was stated in the article) there were two trains.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

"Don't take selfies with bears? Hah! Who could be that dumb? OH gently caress A TRAIN LETS GET A PICTURE"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Johnny Aztec posted:

First off: How the gently caress could you not hear that? IT IS REALLY loving LOUD. I'm deaf as gently caress and a train horn is REALLY LOUD.
Second: Laffo at that third one being 13. Looks like a 40something worn out methhead.

According to the article they were taking the selfie as a train moved down the tracks away from them. Then coincidentally a second train (the one pictured) came from the opposite direction and barrelled into them.

Anyone not a complete idiot should realize that they did hear the horn and just thought it was the train that was now moving away from them. I forgive you for the asking the question because you probably just didn't read the article. The article writer is the idiot for having both pieces of the puzzle and not putting them together.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

quote:

Life was never the same again. Not for the parents who buried three girls with big smiles and bright futures.

Somehow I can't really imagine these people were destined for great things.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

quote:

The first girl he saw had no pulse and it was clear a second girl was no longer alive.

:stare:

:stonk:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Somehow I can't really imagine these people were destined for great things.

We all have done something insanely stupid that we barely side-stepped death on.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

quote:

Injuries not compatible with life. These include but are not necessarily limited to decapitation or other catastrophic brain trauma, incineration, severed body, and injuries that do not permit effective administration of CPR. If a patient has sustained such injuries, it should be intuitively obvious that the patient is non-viable.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Chomp8645 posted:

According to the article they were taking the selfie as a train moved down the tracks away from them. Then coincidentally a second train (the one pictured) came from the opposite direction and barrelled into them.

Anyone not a complete idiot should realize that they did hear the horn and just thought it was the train that was now moving away from them. I forgive you for the asking the question because you probably just didn't read the article. The article writer is the idiot for having both pieces of the puzzle and not putting them together.

That article is a terrible read with a terrible presentation and had me convinced it was a complete fake for a good 15 minutes (I'm still dubious) because holy fuckin poo poo how dumb do you have to be to manage this. How does a train take out the three of these loving geniuses? It's completely mind-boggling.

Yeah, "injuries incompatible with life" is a thing. Train will do that to you.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nice piece of fish posted:

Nonsense; I've been on a train thousands of several times and the worst I got was the shits and a terrible hangover.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

I believe the correct term is "Vorpal."
:goonsay:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Wait, is that gasoline she's cleaning her windshield with?

I had to watch it a few times, I thought it was a water hose. Ok, I see everyone commented on that arleady.

Jerry Cotton posted:

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeHAWWouch

I like how the person in the white truck stops shortly after the black truck goes flying over the hill, I can only imagine the person was thinking "What the gently caress? Did I just see that?"

MF_James fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 8, 2016

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

MF_James posted:

Wait, is that gasoline she's cleaning her windshield with?

I had to watch it a few times, I thought it was a water hose.

so did that old lady

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

KoRMaK posted:

We all have done something insanely stupid that we barely side-stepped death on.

:agreed:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Chomp8645 posted:

I unno man, Train horns sound pretty different based on if they are coming or going. Sorta why we have two ears. You can tell what direction the sounds are coming from.
No, nothing of value was lost in this instance.
No, I'm wrong. Their organs could have been used to give someone more worthwhile another chance at life.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Johnny Aztec posted:

I unno man, Train horns sound pretty different based on if they are coming or going. Sorta why we have two ears. You can tell what direction the sounds are coming from.
[strike]No, nothing of value was lost in this instance.[/strike]
No, I'm wrong. Their organs could have been used to give someone more worthwhile another chance at life.

At the same time, train horns are super loving loud and the horn of one may have drowned out the other.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Counterpoint: If you hear train horns and you're on the tracks, why would you stay on said tracks?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Boiled Water posted:

Counterpoint: If you hear train horns and you're on the tracks, why would you stay on said tracks?

You're trying to get a :krad: selfie didn't read read the article???

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

chitoryu12 posted:

At the same time, train horns are super loving loud and the horn of one may have drowned out the other.

Doppler effect

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Still not the most stupid selfie death. I'm rereading the wikipedia page on selfie injuries and deaths and train stuff is not uncommon.

IMO the best one is the to Russian guys and a grenade. Other notable and unique ones(for now) are falling into a volcanic crater and falling into a geyser.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 9, 2016

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

That article is a terrible read with a terrible presentation and had me convinced it was a complete fake for a good 15 minutes (I'm still dubious) because holy fuckin poo poo how dumb do you have to be to manage this. How does a train take out the three of these loving geniuses? It's completely mind-boggling.

Trains don't do that as often as people (especially suicidal people) think. There's a 10% chance of surviving being struck by a high-speed train and a 1 in 3 chance of surviving being struck by a subway train. You and your life-changing injuries.

Those poor train drivers. That 12 seconds of knowing what was about to happen but being unable to stop it must have felt like absolute eternity.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Mustached Demon posted:

Oregon and New Jersey looking good.

Russia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U76N1QcJfN4

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Lady Demelza posted:

Those poor train drivers. That 12 seconds of knowing what was about to happen but being unable to stop it must have felt like absolute eternity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6o1kM973Xo

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4UFQWKjy_I

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

I think that's called "Injuries not compatible with life" like decapitation, being torn apart, completely crushed and so forth.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

Doppler effect

Why physics class is in fact useful for everybody

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

dragon enthusiast posted:

I get the impression that there isn't much overlap between the people who can 'get physics' and the people who can 'not get hit by trains.'

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

dragon enthusiast posted:

Those nice girls got a very good education in physics.

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
"well i was taking a selfie on busy train tracks and then i thought, huh, the doppler shift in that train horn is making it sound higher pitched than a standard north american train, therefore it's not the horn of the train i see moving away, but must be an unseen train coming towards me, i'd better move" - nobody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Why didn't they see the train on the phone screen?