Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

welves have a tech that completely disables attrition..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Are the Greenskins factions supposed to get any of those exceptional regiments the dwarfs and the empire does? Or is that pay walled behind a dlc?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Aren't the Empire and Dwarf Regiments of Renown also paywalled behind DLC? I thought that was the whole point of those specific DLC

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Gaj posted:

Are the Greenskins factions supposed to get any of those exceptional regiments the dwarfs and the empire does? Or is that pay walled behind a dlc?

Yes to both questions. Greenskins have some phenomenal Regiments of Renown, but you have to have the "King & the Warlord" DLC to recruit them. I'm fairly certain the AI will recruit RoR regardless of you buying the DLC, but I haven't bothered to check.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Well, can't say I understand how to play welfs very well. Especially against other welfs. It feels like I need more ... cavalry?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Triskelli posted:

Yes to both questions. Greenskins have some phenomenal Regiments of Renown, but you have to have the "King & the Warlord" DLC to recruit them. I'm fairly certain the AI will recruit RoR regardless of you buying the DLC, but I haven't bothered to check.

Can confirm. Funnily enough, you can actually get some of the new units and (I assume) RORs without owning the DLC through confederation.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

dumb and kinda scared posted:

Well, can't say I understand how to play welfs very well. Especially against other welfs. It feels like I need more ... cavalry?

Yeah, this mini-campaign is kicking my rear end. The unit sizes are tiny, not sure if that's part of the campaign or sizes got set by the patch or something but yeesh, I am not good with fragile armies.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the other welves seem very agressive, i cant do anything without multiple factions declaring war on me, maybe normal wood elves are easier than treemen, ill try them next

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Are you able to start a coop campaign with both players being WElves since they're different "factions" at the start?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Are you able to start a coop campaign with both players being WElves since they're different "factions" at the start?

Yes, it works this way for greenskin/dwarves too

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Durthu's grand campaign start is pretty rough. Your only expansion routes are through two wood elf neighbors with garrison boost buildings in their provinces, through a walled Bretonnian province with a half stack at the start, or through Karak Norn.

I guess patience is the order of the day here.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Davincie posted:

the other welves seem very agressive, i cant do anything without multiple factions declaring war on me, maybe normal wood elves are easier than treemen, ill try them next

What difficulty? On normal most other welfs are cool with Orion, offer and accept alliances, trade. I also tried grand campaign and it immediately feels like sieges might be a bit of a problem. There is just no way these spearmen could take a wall.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

What difficulty? On normal most other welfs are cool with Orion, offer and accept alliances, trade. I also tried grand campaign and it immediately feels like sieges might be a bit of a problem. There is just no way these spearmen could take a wall.

Have you tried laying siege instead of attacking?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Started my Durthu campaign by taking Karak Norn's capital when they go to attack Skarsnik's starting town and then peacing out with them. After that I walked past the Bretonnian walled city you start next to and took the one north of it against a full Bretonnian stack and the garrison and then took their castle after that. An army of mostly dryads (with call of the wild) just cut through the early Bretonnian troops they mass like mounted yeoman and spearmen. It's a really favorable matchup. Holding onto the territory with no walls and defending the forest at the same time is probably the hard part.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

You could destroy walls with agents. Getting your own ranged units on the walls also tends to be decisive if they are relatively safe from being attacked by melee units.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Can welves sack one turn and seed the next turn, like everyone else can for razing?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

it was on very hard. i resterted as orion now and its way easier. his starting position is better and other elves are quite a bit friendlier to him

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Hahahaha, everybody loving hates the Wood Elves in the grand campaign. I suppose the feeling is mutual.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Wild Riders seem pretty cool to start with. Fragile, but they rack up kills.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Aurubin posted:

Hahahaha, everybody loving hates the Wood Elves in the grand campaign. I suppose the feeling is mutual.

Makes sense. In Lore most civilizations' only interaction with the wood elves is when they are stealing babies off into their hellforest or out on a murderous rampage during a wild hunt.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Well, yeah. I never said sieges are impossible. Just seem to be at severe disadvantage compared to other factions.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Well, yeah. I never said sieges are impossible. Just seem to be at severe disadvantage compared to other factions.

I mean: beastmen don't have terribly good wall fighters or siege engines either, but you could do well enough vs AI just bashing the gate down with minos and see what's on the other side to meet you. If it's swordsmen, send the minos in to feast. If it's spears/halberds, send the ungors in to tie them up, then send the minos to feast. As soon as you penetrate past the gate their wall units pretty much uniformly fall back or just leave basic auxillaries to fend that you can then ladder up to with a couple of your loose ungors before settling your archers in up top. I would assume Welves would play fairly similarly WRT treepeople.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
I've had great success as dwarves by just shooting everything on the walls to death from the ground, so i imagine the elves can do the same.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Party In My Diapee posted:

I've had great success as dwarves by just shooting everything on the walls to death from the ground, so i imagine the elves can do the same.

I do this as dwarfs too but I make sure to knock out the two towers at the section I'm at first, with artillery. I don't think wood elves have that luxury, given they lack artillery.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Been using Orion and getting my poo poo bashed in by beastmen that gun straight for the big tree. It's hard to gauge how much to expand because neighbors can be backstabbing pricks.

I also feel like it's prudent to spend your amber on the tree over research because it gives you a reserve in the interim just in case you lose settlements or territory.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

With the introduction of the Wood Elves I think Carcassone has potentially usurped Kraka Drak and Ostermark as the most hosed faction in the Grand Campaign.

They also added unique sounds when you click on the Bretonnian settlements; sounds like a crowd at a joust.

Aurubin fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 8, 2016

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Aurubin posted:

With the introduction of the Wood Elves I think Carcassone has potentially usurped Kraka Drak and Ostermark as the most hosed faction in the Grand Campaign.

I think it's actually still that lonely orc village surrounded by brettonnia, marienburg, and those other dwarves

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
This mini campaign is pretty rough. Wood Elf infantry is just so soft that it is hard to protect your missile units as Orion. Definitely need to invest in some of the big beefy trees for my armies. I actually had a really close battle at the Oak where two of the giant Beastmen armies marched in and fought Orion's stack plus the garrison. Ended up winning with just Orion and a bunch of archers that were out of arrows. So close to losing the entire campaign.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Mini-campaign is rough. Right after I'd over-extended and gotten my main army killed around turn 25, three full mid-high tier stacks of Beastmen, including a Cygor in each, spawned and bee-lined for the Oak. Elves are fragile, man, especially early before they can skirmish properly. Also, in the minicampaign, it seems like they have the more usual 6 slots per city instead of the 10 that they're supposed to have in the GC to balance out their outposts having almost nothing.

e: Beaten.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

dont upgrade the tree, its what triggers the big beastman spawns

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think it's actually still that lonely orc village surrounded by brettonnia, marienburg, and those other dwarves

Ha, I forgot about the Skullsmasherz. The other factions at least act as buffers or potential allies, as Grimgor or Skarsnik I could not give less of a poo poo about those dudes.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Yeah, I just figured that out. Going to have to restart and play it a lot safer on my next play through.

It's annoying because the two factions South of you are prone to having dumb slap fights so wandering off to occupy ruins is really risky. It's also either really expensive or time consuming having to wait while your army Heals.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Davincie posted:

dont upgrade the tree, its what triggers the big beastman spawns

Yea I made this mistake and now I have 4 20 stack beastman armies complete with cygors coming to beat my rear end

EDIT: on the other hand it looks like they focus hard on the oak and will ignore your other settlements so just park a 20 stack on it with the garrison and you're in for some sweet battles

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oh hell, the Waywatcher hero is hilariously murderous. Even without any skills the guy did in excess of 100 damage per shot against a beastman lord, and enemy units need to be almost on top of him before they actually see him. Now all my battles involve the enemy lord being sniped down to ~1/4 HP before the lines even meet, and after the characters are gone he's still great for killing monsters or heavy cav.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The mini campaign feels really lovely. Morghur gets like 8 free 20 unit stacks by turn 25 and if you ever leave the oak of ages for a turn (even to kill morghur) an invisible one will just appear and burn it down in the same turn.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
So my initial impressions playing against Wood Elves is, they possibly aren't so hot against Empire. You can afford to just bring Swordmen and Flagellants against them and possibly skip Greatswords, since they have no armoured infantry of their own (although GS do get a nice bonus vs inf). A strong infantry force seems like it can grind down their own low number of troops.

I played a match against them where I had a plan to use Free Company as anti-flying protection for my crossbowmen, which did okay I feel at their new price point. Swordsmen did reasonably well and probably benefited a lot from the lore of life wizard, who performed heroic feats keeping my general alive as he was swarmed by flying assassins. But I would have been better off healing my Demigryphs rather than my swordsmen later on since lore of life doesn't revive and I had a bunch of wounded Demigryphs. Since a lot of Wood Elves do magical damage I've considered replacing the demigryph unit with Blazing Suns who have magic resistance and flaming damage, although they might not have that barely-alive synergy that the Demigryphs have with healing spells.

Replay for those who aren't disgusted by multiplayer chat:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxL-q9Tcsh-aVEh4dzdJU0tueU0/view?usp=sharing

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Grand campaign on other hand becomes much easier once you get rid of Carcasonne. Orion has some great faction-wide skills and there are techs that give +40 diplomacy bonus to Empire and Bretonia so you can pick and choose your enemies. Not sure how I feel about units eating amber, I mean maybe for some really cool elite units but hawk riders? I think you are better off disbanding them as soon as you are 1 amber short for something.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
So this is cool. Steam won't download the 5gb DLC because the 29gb I have free on my SSD is insufficient. Because steam or CA decides the way to release patches and DLC is to copy the entire goddamn game temporarily or something. How the gently caress do I download this poo poo without uninstalling the game I'm trying to update

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Yeah the mini Campaign is rough! I like it! (except fighting otjet elves that sucks!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Reiterating my point that diplomacy really needs a "No, and stop asking" button for when somebody is just spamming you with the same diplo request over and over again.

No Clan Agrund, the Wood Elves have no interest in joining any of your dumb wars and asking every single turn is not going to change anything.

• Locked thread