Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

Wyld Thang posted:

Welcome to the Republican party.

turn your monitor on

e: ed balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Grognan posted:

Who the gently caress is middle america? People that don't rent?

midwestern white people aka the only people on earth who matter

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Serf posted:

immigration plan: welcome to America! Here's a driver's license and a handgun, oh and you will be paid full wages because you're a goddamn human being

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Powercrazy posted:

Illegal Immigration is actually a big problem because it allows most small businesses to avoid taxes and pay less then the minimum wage, while the laborers are too afraid of being deported to complain about anything. Immigration is good as long as it is through the proper channels and those channels get streamlined.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Grognan posted:

Who the gently caress is middle america? People that don't rent?

People between between the west and east coasts.

You know, the part of the country that Hillary Clinton won virtually none of

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Grognan posted:

Who the gently caress is middle america?

-Hillary Clinton, 2016

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Well What Now posted:

-Hillary Clinton, 2016

Ouch!

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen
See also: "Will it play in Peoria?"

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬
https://twitter.com/kenvogel/status/806979962658058241

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Powercrazy posted:

Well also the idea of controlling a nations borders should exist. You can't have legal immigration mean anything, if you can get all the same benefits by just showing up. Controlling immigration will only get more important as more social policies are passed.

UK-labour-controls-on-immigration-mug.jpg

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
"I don't like Illegal immigration cause it lets companies treat their workers like poo poo" is a surprisingly strong position that can win over lots of people to your side and keep you on the right side of things like xenophobia and racism. By making it clear that your issue is that these people are being paid nothing and companies are reaping the benefits, you refocus the idea that immigrants are taking jobs to the idea that companies are exploiting people and it's taking away jobs. Defenses like "they do the jobs no american wants to" and "they're not taking YOUR job" devalue the work done and seem more concerned with keeping around a source of cheap labor than defending the human rights of fellow human beings.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i'm glad 2018 means nothing whatsoever

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

I'm not going to write off Chelsea completely, she might not be as terrible as her parents

gently caress the clintons, i actually learned something from this election

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Powercrazy posted:

Illegal Immigration is actually a big problem because it allows most small businesses to avoid taxes and pay less then the minimum wage, while the laborers are too afraid of being deported to complain about anything. Immigration is good as long as it is through the proper channels and those channels get streamlined.

that's not really true. under-the-table employment is mostly housekeeping jobs, construction, etc. most illegal immigrants are paid like normal employees using faked immigration documents, and they pay taxes. i think also it's a mistake to pretend like we have a shortage of lovely, hourly jobs in this country. we don't, we've got a whole lot more of those than we need. the shortage is in salaried jobs with benefits. so while we might see a modest uptick in wages for some jobs without illegal immigration, it's not really affecting most people.

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 23:00 on Dec 8, 2016

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

aaaaaAAAAAAAHHHHHHH :gonk:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/806981129370738688

MO'M 2020!

Serf
May 5, 2011

if we allow a Clinton to slither back into running for President then we deserve to lose

we seriously need to get mobilized and get active

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 43 minutes!

just kill me

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen
gently caress's sake

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
for the love of god and all his little angels, keep that failure hurricane of a family out of politics

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mirthless posted:

I'm not going to write off Chelsea completely, she might not be as terrible as her parents

gently caress the clintons, i actually learned something from this election

i mean even if you don't everyone else will loving immediately so it's moot either way

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Serf posted:

if we allow a Clinton to slither back into running for President then we deserve to lose

we seriously need to get mobilized and get active

you know i think kenneth vogel just might have been kidding

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I think we need to just say "gently caress it" and create an American Union. We can't pretend that the immigration issue within the countries of the Americas is one that can be solved by each nation individually. Obviously, this is a long term plan, but it's the sort of direction we need to be heading.

Edit:

:fuckoff:

Serf
May 5, 2011

Concerned Citizen posted:

you know i think kenneth vogel just might have been kidding

I want to believe you, but you are, unfortunately, Concerned Citizen

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen
if he's kidding its not funny

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
"i want chelsea clinton to run for president," said no one ever

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hmmm, how about no?

https://twitter.com/politico/status/806981457210200064

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i don't care for chelsea clinton but if she wants to run for something i'll let the voters decide

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

lol if this was the conclusion the Democrats came to

e: to be fair I think I'd vote for John Morgan for governor since he basically single-handedly made this garbage state adopt medical marijuana and I seriously doubt the Florida dems could find anyone better

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

We might want to start being a bit more literal with the whole "class war" rhetoric.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

ahaha yer fvckin taking the piss arent you chelsea

please...

:chloe:

tell me you actually are taking the piss.....

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fullhouse posted:

lol if this was the conclusion the Democrats came to

e: to be fair I think I'd vote for John Morgan for governor since he basically single-handedly made this garbage state adopt medical marijuana and I seriously doubt the Florida dems could find anyone better

Chelsea is not running for anything, ever and rich people running for Governor of their state has been standard politics in the U.S. for the last 200 years.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Serf
May 5, 2011

this dude looks like Jay Landsman on the Wire lol

MizPiz posted:

We might want to start being a bit more literal with the whole "class war" rhetoric.

I am 100% literal when I talk about the class war

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
i think its time to make a new party if the democrats literally think this imo

cos they're dead if they think this

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Serf posted:

this dude looks like Jay Landsman on the Wire lol

"Exit polls say we need to be less elitist"

"gently caress the stats"

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

it also doesn't seem like a concerted effort on the part of the Democratic party so much as a bunch of old rich dudes with connections seeing what trump did and going "hey, I could probably do that too"

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Mirthless posted:

No, because I never said it was the one thing, I said it was a contributing factor, which it was.

When you consider the vote gap in some of these states was razor thin, and that pushing hard for muslim immigrants didn't even win us Michigan, Center of Islamic Life in the United States, it's not hard to see this issue only hurt us.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

:chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven