Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Degrees matter once you get high enough in any company, and/or once you get into a large enough company.

I know (software)architects that never even got a GED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Degrees matter once you get high enough in any company, and/or once you get into a large enough company.

If a company is that stuck on having a degree then it's probably not a place I want to work anyway.
Feel free to write this off as foolish.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 8, 2016

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Space Whale posted:

I know (software)architects that never even got a GED.

I'm not saying it's right, or that's how it should be, but unfortunately that's the way it is at some places.

Realistic perspective though? Most of the people I know in that situation are making six figures on a diploma, not a terrible point to top out at.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 8, 2016

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Tech is immature enough that a highly skilled employee who's motivated can bypass all kinds of requirements if they interview well. My advice would be to get the cheapest possible (accredited) degree you can cause after your first job it's not gonna matter much - what will matter is the experience you have and how you can demonstrate it / bullshit your way past the interview.

This advice doesn't apply outside of bullshit industries like tech.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Healthcare rather than tech, but the UK government just undid a change of 5-6 years ago where it was a requirement for nurses to have a degree. It's going to be an apprenticeship type deal now, like it was in the good old days.

Turns out having a degree level understanding of sociology/psychology isn't a lot of help when someone is going into septic shock. Quelle suprise.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Shelvocke posted:

Healthcare rather than tech, but the UK government just undid a change of 5-6 years ago where it was a requirement for nurses to have a degree. It's going to be an apprenticeship type deal now, like it was in the good old days.

Turns out having a degree level understanding of sociology/psychology isn't a lot of help when someone is going into septic shock. Quelle suprise.

It's more like it isn't a lot of help when you spend every day cleaning asses and bed bathing dementia patients in an old folks home. Because that's what non-degree (practical nursing) level nursing essentially is. Though some places have realized that practical nurses can do almost as much as a registered nurse and cost a lot less, the bulk of the job is still cleaning asses.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
There's a hell of lot more to nursing than palliative care.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

There's a hell of lot more to nursing than palliative care.

Yes. But there's also a hell of a lot of old people slowly dying that can't look after themselves, and that number is growing. So while the field itself is broad and deep, the bulk of work that needs doing is looking after old folks. And this is the key point: if you're a nurse and would like to at some point progress past basic caretaking, get a degree in nursing/bridge to registered nursing. Otherwise you'll be stuck wiping asses.

E- I should add - the other reason to get a degree is in case you ever emigrate. The university system ensures that the rubber stamp from one (first world) country will be accepted as roughly equivalent with only minimal hassle. Diplomas, not so much, you'll probably have to start from scratch. This goes for anything, not just nursing.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Dec 8, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

Tech is immature enough that a highly skilled employee who's motivated can bypass all kinds of requirements if they interview well. My advice would be to get the cheapest possible (accredited) degree you can cause after your first job it's not gonna matter much - what will matter is the experience you have and how you can demonstrate it / bullshit your way past the interview.

This advice doesn't apply outside of bullshit industries like tech.

It may be a bullshit industry, but it's from both ends. I worry more about the actual company I am interviewing at than bullshitting the interview. Shrug.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It is bullshit from every angle. We get teenagers interviewing who's only qualifications are that they watched a relevant YouTube video and have a hello world on github who are like "my bottom dollar is 200K" because they read a buzzfeed article on how devs are in demand and it's like, yeah, come back in 20 years.

For every super skilled dev with a diploma there are 10 shysters spitting buzzwords trying to ride the bubble

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
drat dude, I've been in a few of those and always wonder how it even got to an interview, we generally only bring in people with personal projects or experience at another known company. I've also gotten people with or without a degree who can provide enough depth that they can weasel past a casual interview with non-devs but when it comes down to a few 'how would you go about developing general-project-idea-here' everything turns into vague statements as you get past surface level.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 8, 2016

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

The vast majority of my work is medication and treatment management. I wouldn't resent my degree if it had even began to prepare me for the actual work - we had close to zero pharmacology and physiology, and tons of social sciences bullshit.

All the actual useful information is learned on the job; the course was designed by academics, who can't fathom the concept of a practical degree, and bizzarrely think a BSc in nursing should contain no nursing relevant science, in case we start questioning the doctors.

..to keep this slightly bike rant related, the Welsh winter keeps blowing the cover off my xr.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It finally happened. After almost ten years of riding, I got my first "be careful, I know someone who wrecked!" person (I don't think my mom counts.)
It was almost surreal knowing almost exactly what they are were going to say: who it was; when it happened; the injuries they receive; that look at when they state the final "be careful out there!"
This isn't really a rant, but it's something riders often rant about, I guess.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BlackMK4 posted:

drat dude, I've been in a few of those and always wonder how it even got to an interview, we generally only bring in people with personal projects or experience at another known company. I've also gotten people with or without a degree who can provide enough depth that they can weasel past a casual interview with non-devs but when it comes down to a few 'how would you go about developing general-project-idea-here' everything turns into vague statements as you get past surface level.

So I'm using a little hyperbole due to my own frustration with the process, but essentially what you're describing is what happens a lot. People who have a surface level knowledge and can pass muster with an hr generalist expect big $$$ because "dev is hot right now".

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

its all nice on rice posted:

It finally happened. After almost ten years of riding, I got my first "be careful, I know someone who wrecked!" person (I don't think my mom counts.)
It was almost surreal knowing almost exactly what they are were going to say: who it was; when it happened; the injuries they receive; that look at when they state the final "be careful out there!"
This isn't really a rant, but it's something riders often rant about, I guess.

Yeah I just kinda let that wash over me now. I find that most of the people who use that particular line are saying it because they know literally nothing about motorcycling, and the only connection in their brain when you say you ride a bike is "oh I heard about that guy who died." There's a variety of responses you can use, but I usually stick with "oh yeah, it can definitely be dangerous, but you know, everyone has something risky they do for fun" and that gives them an opportunity to change the subject to bungee jumping or gambling or bear-baiting or whatever they can talk about.

When I started riding, one of my uncles (who I think has Asperger's syndrome, though he was raised at a time when it was just "that's a weird kid") posted on my Facebook wall "well, I hope you're an organ donor." Took me a while to realize that he probably just had never even thought about motorcycles on any level, but knew the organ donation connection, and so that's what he dredged up to post. But thanks for the vote of confidence, dude! :fuckoff:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 9, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I have a retard uncle who died in a car accident so you should take the bus, pussy.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, people rarely make the reverse connection. I had an uncle that died in a crash in a ford truck, but no ones out there chastising f150 owners because of it

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah, people rarely make the reverse connection. I had an uncle that died in a crash in a ford truck, but no ones out there chastising f150 owners because of it

blah blah guns something something ban all guns sue the gun makers.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Joke's on them, I'm not an organ donor.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I know there's nothing more boring than other peoples dreams but I've got to tell someone about it because it was so funny it actually woke me up laughing.

A gang wanted to steal my bike but couldn't do it from my office because of the cameras, so they sent Miranda Hart to seduce me and get me back to my house, but their plans were ruined because she didn't want to ride on the back of my bike so we had to take the bus back to my house, and so they ended up buying one of those 125cc Chinese cruisers and leaving it in my garden then stealing that so they wouldn't go back to their boss empty-handed. Oh also the two guys doing the stealing were riding supermotos, which possibly means something.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sagebrush posted:

When I started riding, one of my uncles (who I think has Asperger's syndrome, though he was raised at a time when it was just "that's a weird kid") posted on my Facebook wall "well, I hope you're an organ donor." Took me a while to realize that he probably just had never even thought about motorcycles on any level, but knew the organ donation connection, and so that's what he dredged up to post. But thanks for the vote of confidence, dude! :fuckoff:

When you pay for your emissions tax in the UK, after completing the transaction the confirmation page has a big button suggesting you get on the organ donor register :v:

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Arizona has an organ donor custom plate but it doesn't come in motorcycle size :(

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I ride bikes and I am an organ donor and I've never had a friend or family member make dumbass comments like that. Sounds like you all need better families and friends :smug:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I've never gotten the "motorcycle is dangerous!! you'll die immediately" talks but my colleagues and friends are all bikers or have close family/friends that are.

I sometimes raise an eyebrow of the person I'm talking to when they realize I only have a motorcycle drivers license, but that's not a strange reaction.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

so they sent Miranda Hart to seduce me

I would wake up laughing at this part tbh.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

I have a retard uncle who died in a car accident so you should take the bus, pussy.

I've used this before and the response was "well, I have to drive a car. You choose to ride"

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Oh for gently caress's sake. Went out to go run an errand on the FJR last night and the key won't turn from "bars locked" position, figured it was just too goddamned cold for it (23*F) and came back to it this afternoon. Still not moving. All the other locks keyed the same work fine. Guess I break out the dry lube and sit and work it for a bit, ugh.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

karms posted:

I would wake up laughing at this part tbh.

In the dream I knew it was a scam and I played along just to see what she was like trying to play the femme fatale. It was worth it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

hot sauce posted:

I've used this before and the response was "well, I have to drive a car. You choose to ride"

Take a loving bus.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The person who talking to me at least didn't go with the "death machine!" route and actually said "riding in a metal box is dangerous enough."

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Awesome. Dry lube didn't work, still can't unlock the forks, I walked around to the right side of the bike while swearing at it and found a fresh creased dent with paint missing on the side of my tank. Guess my bike has been acted upon by an outside force in the last 24 hours. Thanks, ghetto neighborhood!

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
The last time I couldn't turn my key from the lock position and I couldn't figure out why, it turned out someone had tried to steal it and hosed the steering lock up so much that the locking bolt couldn't retract. I had to replace the immobiliser and ECU in addition to the ignition because Yamaha.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

PCOS Bill posted:

Awesome. Dry lube didn't work, still can't unlock the forks, I walked around to the right side of the bike while swearing at it and found a fresh creased dent with paint missing on the side of my tank. Guess my bike has been acted upon by an outside force in the last 24 hours. Thanks, ghetto neighborhood!

Somewhere in this there is a joke about bad posting and karma but ive never had enough sand in my vagina to bother making it

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

EX250 Type R posted:

Somewhere in this there is a joke about bad posting and karma but ive never had enough sand in my vagina to bother making it

im starting to suspect aran got another account

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

goddamnedtwisto posted:

In the dream I knew it was a scam and I played along just to see what she was like trying to play the femme fatale. It was worth it.

Haha ok, that's better. :D

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PCOS Bill posted:

Don't park your bike outside

I live in a sleepy residential corner of San Francisco, my street populated entirely with old retirees and a few families with school-age kids, and I still had the aforementioned problems with garbage and condoms being stuck on my car and the slurpee being dumped on my motorcycle and my bicycle got stolen out of the breezeway a few months ago and the idiot teenager across the street backed fuckin directly into my motorcycle and knocked it over WHILE I WAS WORKING ON IT on the curb

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I like fuel injection but also gently caress fuel injection. I'm looking to mess with the air filter and exhaust on he SV. On all my other bikes that would be a handful of jets from the internet, maybe $25. Now with fuel injection it's a $490 power commander. poo poo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I just had to pick up a gixxer 750 for a guy from an impound lot after it got towed due to being crashed.

Waiting for the paperwork to get wrapped up it was all "Yeah bro this STUPID ASIAN pulled out in front of me and I had no choice but to grab the brakes and crash yo!"

They wheel the bike out and it has next to no damage and all the injury is to the screen, top of the tank and tail section. Then I found out he didn't actually touch the car that pulled out, he just stoppied and did a forward flip. But it was the driver's fault anyway.

He also had two broken wrists :allears:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I like fuel injection but also gently caress fuel injection. I'm looking to mess with the air filter and exhaust on he SV. On all my other bikes that would be a handful of jets from the internet, maybe $25. Now with fuel injection it's a $490 power commander. poo poo.

I think that just seems like a waste of money because it's an SV.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Will you just drop that GSXR at my place, not like he's going to use it for a while. Might even be saving his life.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
My bike was parked outside all day with temps dropping into the 20s and when I came back to my bike the lock cylinder was frozen in the locked position. I had to unfreeze it by holding it in my hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
55mph at 1°C loving blows. Granted I'm in jeans because I'm waiting on my gear to get repaired but even with silks AND quilts my legs get cold FAST. Even the bike doesn't like it, I got it warmed up in the driveway to halfway on the gauge and within a quarter mile it was right back in the cold zone, needle just plummeted. Brand new thermostat too.

Silk glove liners hold up well, though. My mitts aren't exactly toasty but I still have good control and feel.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Dec 10, 2016