Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Having been for a good couple months all told I think English food is kind of underrated, and Irish food is super underrated; but I do not understand the fascination with fish and chips. You take the absolute best place I went to in Edinburgh (that the locals recommended) and bring those cooks anywhere in the Deep South and your average hole-in-the-wall place would ruffle their hair and tell them that at least they tried.

Y'all should be talking up English breakfast. That is legitimately the poo poo. Beans for breakfast, y'all are madmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

jet blonde

I thought this was an old term for cabin crew?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

InitialDave posted:

I think we need to steer this back on the educational track.

Hands up everyone who understands you're meant to eat a nice bit of cheese with fruit cake?

Only if your taste buds are damaged.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

PT6A posted:

I had fish and chips for 15 pounds at Heathrow because I felt like doing a British thing for my two hours on British soil and it was garbage with soggy batter and I hated it.

Then I had a "fish and chips tapa" in Granada and it was crisp, delicious, and prepared by someone who was not obviously inbred. Spain wins.

You ate overpriced airport food. Its always bad.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

PT6A posted:

I had fish and chips for 15 pounds at Heathrow because I felt like doing a British thing for my two hours on British soil and it was garbage with soggy batter and I hated it.

Then I had a "fish and chips tapa" in Granada and it was crisp, delicious, and prepared by someone who was not obviously inbred. Spain wins.

Heh, lemme guess, that place right next to the international checkin counter in terminal 5. I did the same thing, same experience.

Everything else I ate that week in London was quite good, actually (as long as I trusted my own instincts預 local friend told me to get a steak at Black & Blue and it was so tragic)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Doesn't Gordon Ramsey have a restaurant in Heathrow? I think I looked at the prices once and just decided to wait for my next in-flight meal instead.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

serious gaylord posted:

You ate overpriced airport food. Its always bad.
Yeah.

People who complain about food in the UK are generally victims of only experiencing overpriced crap rather than anything the natives would actively choose. This is often a function of visiting London.

Hell, the offerings at my local chippy are better than anything I've found in the touristy areas of London, and Leicester is just about closer to space than to the sea.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

I've found that the best food to be had in the UK is from little pubs out in the middle of the countryside, 20-30mins drive away from even small towns. I have family in Herefordshire and visiting them is a delight, zipping down tiny country roads through the hills in my uncle's austin healey sprite, and stuffing my face with gussied-up variants of traiditional british foods. London can't hope to compare, especially the touristy places as others have said

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/MrJamesMay/status/806516065752776704

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク

sean10mm posted:

Lots of landlocked states in the US have mediocre to poor cooked fish. Conversely, lots of coastal states near sources of fresh fish have wonderful seafood. Living in Rhode Island I gorged myself on fish all the time.

Funny thing is, on more than one occasion I've been able to find decent sushi in areas of the country where restaurants can't give you cooked fish that doesn't taste freezer burned. :wtc::iiam:

Chicago and surrounding areas get phenomenal fish flown in daily. its pricey but nobody can argue with the freshness or quality. Beyond literally being caught same day as you might find in a fishing village. It makes its way up here to Wisconsin and every bar has Friday fish fry. Quality varies obviously.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Isn't Wisconsin's friday fish fry tradition based on eating walleye and other locally caught stuff from the lakes? That was always my understanding but I only visit the place occasionally.

(welcome to general fish chat)

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Unless I'm misunderstanding your question , I'm pretty sure it's because eating meat on Friday used to be punishable by death in Catholicism (but to be fair what was wasn't). We used to have fish frys in Northeast Ohio as well

In South Florida there's lots of places where you can park your boat right at the dock at the restaurant and they will cook the fish that you just caught into a dish. Doesn't get much fresher than that. Battered and fried fish in the u.s. seems to be reserved for the frozen food aisle.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 7, 2016

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, not to derail the "Talk about fish and your most preferred nearest body of water" thread here, but my statement was more surprise that Wisconsin is importing freshwater fish through Chicago when you literally can't walk 100 yards without falling into a lake full of them in WI, and everyone hunts & fishes. I don't think there's much confusion why many communities eat fish on friday.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
My biggest complaint about the new show (aside from the obnoxious fatguy race driver) is that there seems to be almost no reason they need to be in X country for the live shows, none of that last episode had anything to do with Whitby, which is a very nice location to start a race to Italy from.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク

Ether Frenzy posted:

Yeah, not to derail the "Talk about fish and your most preferred nearest body of water" thread here, but my statement was more surprise that Wisconsin is importing freshwater fish through Chicago when you literally can't walk 100 yards without falling into a lake full of them in WI, and everyone hunts & fishes. I don't think there's much confusion why many communities eat fish on friday.

I should clarify that its salt water. Nobody really eats that much lake fish here. Friday fish fry is usually cod.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Is anyone watching in HDR-10? I wonder if that helps with the apparent overvignetting in the normal HD signal.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

kimbo305 posted:

Is anyone watching in HDR-10? I wonder if that helps with the apparent overvignetting in the normal HD signal.

I am and it's amazing looking. There's still a lot of vignetting though. I mean, that's just their style.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Preoptopus posted:

I should clarify that its salt water. Nobody really eats that much lake fish here. Friday fish fry is usually cod.

Every time I've been to a fish fry with my wisconsinite wife I've had perch or pike.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

HotCanadianChick posted:

This post is so wrong it hurts. It is causing physical pain from sheer wrongness. Because everyone knows nothing good ever comes from Ohio.

You clearly have not had our beer. Surprise surprise, a state where people learn to just tolerate the lovely parts likes to enjoy their drinking.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

wolrah posted:

You clearly have not had our beer. Surprise surprise, a state where people learn to just tolerate the lovely parts likes to enjoy their drinking.

This is pretty much the rust belt way. Drink heavily and eat unhealthy food, because you dont want to live in many more winters. (hell, they probably made the fish and chips place i mentioned into a liquor store by now)

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 8, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCMcfsDymtc

Grand Tour Episode 4 Trailer

The boys are tasked with creating 'Eco-Cars' leading to some... frankly rough designs that are shocking they can even move under their own weight.

For those who were lamenting that the challenges thus far have only featured high end super/hyper cars. This will be the episode of "Lets just run this poo poo into the ground" dumb of the old Top Gear

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

wolrah posted:

Did the bumpkin from Ohio just try to school someone who lives in the microbrew capital of the world on beer? Someone who lives in Beervana, the city with one of the largest craft brewing festivals in the world?

I take it back, two notable things do come from Ohio: bad opinions and ignorance.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

HotCanadianChick posted:

Did the bumpkin from Ohio just try to school someone who lives in the microbrew capital of the world on beer? Someone who lives in Beervana, the city with one of the largest craft brewing festivals in the world?

I take it back, two notable things do come from Ohio: bad opinions and ignorance.

Three things...Disgust at Toledo.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

boy I hope the next episode of the grand tour is all about fish and beer locations

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Three things...Disgust at Toledo.

Toledo is less a home county of ohio and more a whipped colony we seized by force from Michigan.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah well I can't take you guys seriously anymore since I learned you're really part of Connecticut.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Toledo is less a home county of ohio and more a whipped colony we seized by force from Michigan.

Didn't Toledo try to rejoin Michigan once and Michigan said, "Uh no. You're Ohio's problem."

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Go Mud Hens!!

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

New Episode is up

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
For anyone confused, they are in Whitby a second time.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ohio's craft beer legit is excellent though. Roughly 160 breweries and at least a couple dozen I can vouch for as good. This is coming from someone who once got in a one-sided drunken debate with Greg Koch.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That episode was kind of interesting but it's still falling flat.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I dunno, Episode 4 is the first one that's made me laugh so hard and so energetically that I now have a sore throat.

James' ball of twine

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I assume next episode will feature Clarkson doing dumb things while May and Hammond drink beer in a pub.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I liked it. It was like the old build a thing contests with the ambulance and police car and such.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Okay, just started episode 4. Even the American was better in this one. It's so obviously over the top and straight satire that I can't help but like it.

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot
Oh neat, now available here too.

Clarksons take on car body materials is.. interesting

hillo fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 9, 2016

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

hillo posted:

Oh neat, now available here too.

Clarksons take on car body materials is.. interesting

Yeah, that was interesting. I liked Hammond's a lot.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

One thing I don't get is why they kept calling attention to problems with the mortar in james' brickmobile when it was visually obvious that no mortar had been introduced into the system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Good episode. Hedgehog supremacy.