Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Sakurazuka posted:

The only thing I didn't really like about this episode was how little context we had for exactly why Yayaka would go that far against someone she obviously cared about that much, other than her presumably getting kicked out of an organisation who's goals we don't even know.
I guess the episode hinted at her growing up there and maybe not knowing anything else, but it just seemed like her motivations we weak from our perspective.

Yeah I felt that too. Blondie seems like a pretty ok character, and I think I could actually care about her internal struggle if the show would actually tell us the thing she's struggling with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

dogsicle posted:

for an episode ostensibly about strengthening the cocona/papika relationship, i care way more about yayaka/cocona now. guess i've got 3 eps to get over that.

Papika's going to get back together with Mimi and everything will okay

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Yayaka did nothing wrong

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Just started watching this, avoiding reading the entire thread just to post with my new avatar

LET'S FLIP FLAPPING

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

GorfZaplen posted:

Yayaka did nothing wrong

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s79Dks0vkk0

New episode preview.

I very much suspect that long-haired, smiling Cocona at the end has had her personality subsumed by Mimi's.

Also, how many eps exactly do we have left? Are we going to 12 eps or 13?

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 6, 2016

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Zeruel posted:

Just started watching this, avoiding reading the entire thread just to post with my new avatar

And it's a good one!

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

gently caress I KNEW MIMI WAS HER FORMER PARTNER
This is a good show. When do episodes air?

Also Yayaka did nothing wrong.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Thursday morning at 9 EST

I sometimes watch them right after they release.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

season 2 when

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

watch episode 5 of space dandy season 2

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
or dennou coil

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
or locodol

it's not the same director but series composition was done by ayana yuniko

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

I think I've started and got roughly halfway through Dennou Coil like 3 times now.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Wow, plot.

Bu-chan is going to turn out to be Cocona's dad, isn't he? That seems like the most fairy tale way for this to go.

Or maybe it'd be Uexkull!

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 8, 2016

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

^^ I'm betting on Salt

COCONA :saddowns:
Obaa-chan standing up was the worst part

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
You two are missing the most important part: Yayaka being a complete badass this episode.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Not as much to say about this episode. It was good, it just took themes that had already been established and used them to bring our heroes to their lowest point for the climax, and confirmed a few things we'd suspected.

-So I'm certain that the chief scientist is our head Klansman.

-...So who the hell did Mimi have a kid with? Salt?

-Papika loves Cocona for Cocona and Cocona doesn't believe her, fucks me up. :qq:

-Although Papika might have been able to avert the worst part of their breakup if she'd told us exactly what the gently caress happened to Mimi and what exactly Cocona is. That seems like the most important part of this whole deal!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I mean if it is Salt then his Gendo Ikari impression is complete. Get in the Thomasson Cocona.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Fangz posted:

I mean if it is Salt then his Gendo Ikari impression is complete. Get in the Thomasson Cocona.

When the FlipFlap HQ was being stormed, I had some End of Evangelion vibes.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I do like the theming at work with Mimi posessing Cocona.

This whole show has seemingly been about Cocona developing a greater sense of agency, confidence, and self-worth, and this episode was obviously interested in bringing our heroines to their lowest point in preparation for the climax. So, how do they do it for Cocona?

Take away everything she's been drawing strength from - her relationship with Papika has, for the moment, fallen apart amidst questions of self-worth and what she ever really meant to Papika. Same for Yayaka. Then she runs home and even dear old grandmother, her last remaining refuge in the world, is revealed to have been playing her the whole time and lashes out at her. Having lost basically all her sources of self-worth, Cocona turns utterly inward - she retreats from the world entirely, surrendering her agency and allowing her mother to act in her stead, just as long as it means she doesn't have to risk being hurt or betrayed or misunderstood again.It's a very appropriate rock-bottom for Cocona to hit and have to claw her way back from.

I can't loving wait for Papika to save her.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I'm going to give the show a chance to tie things up, but I'm starting to suspect that the plot is going to make no drat sense when looking back in retrospect.

Also how loving old is Paprika? Are they gunna have to pull out some technobabble for why she doesn't age?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Pavlov posted:

I'm going to give the show a chance to tie things up, but I'm starting to suspect that the plot is going to make no drat sense when looking back in retrospect.

Also how loving old is Paprika? Are they gunna have to pull out some technobabble for why she doesn't age?

She does, though. Preview shows an older looking Papika, in what I'm quite sure is a flashback, and her face/hair looks a lot like the glimpse we caught of her in the first Mimi flashback.

https://imgur.com/a/q746s

I think she's some sort of clone or reincarnation or something of the original Papikana. Would explain why she only recovered her memories after the fragments began resonating.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 8, 2016

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Highlight of the episode is probably Hidaka seemingly enjoying every minute of this.

Also I can't believe Cocona loving exploded.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

It was super badass when the twins calmly explained a bunch of the mysteries of the show

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

StandardVC10 posted:

Highlight of the episode is probably Hidaka seemingly enjoying every minute of this.

Also I can't believe Cocona loving exploded.

Season 2 will involve collecting the shards of Cocona

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
it sucks the ratings for this show are so bad I want a season two :(

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Troposphere posted:

it sucks the ratings for this show are so bad I want a season two :(

I feel like at the very least it'll get some delayed appreciation if it ends strong. This show feels very much like the Platonic Ideal of the phrase 'cult classic.'

I will say, I'm curious what's going to come of the Klan and especially Blue-haired amorphous child, now. Mimi's resurrection seems like it stole all their fragments and ruined their plans, but we need to have some kind of antagonist for the last few eps, and I don't think it's going to be Mimi - at least not the whole time. If I had to guess, my gut says that when Cocona inevitably breaks free from Mimi, then blue-haired will nom all the fragments and become the final boss. But that's assuming a lot.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Blue-haired amorphous child

Apparently her name is Nyunyu, she calls herself "Nyu" in the few lines before the OP this episode, though CR just translates it to "I". The credits lists Nyunyu next to Toto and Yuyu too.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

nielsm posted:

Apparently her name is Nyunyu, she calls herself "Nyu" in the few lines before the OP this episode, though CR just translates it to "I". The credits lists Nyunyu next to Toto and Yuyu too.

HUH.

I was SURE she was going to be named Mimi - like she was the intended vessel for Mimi's soul or something.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Oh my gosh, this show is adorable. I've seen 3 episodes so far and I'm loving it. This really hits the "cute magical girls with crushes on each other going on adventures" note that I felt Izetta wasn't delivering on

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Cephas posted:

Oh my gosh, this show is adorable. I've seen 3 episodes so far and I'm loving it. This really hits the "cute magical girls with crushes on each other going on adventures" note that I felt Izetta wasn't delivering on

You've seen literally nothing yet, my friend.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

It kinda goes from :3: to :ohdear: after episode 8 but Papika never stops being ridiculously chipper. Or, hasn't yet, anyway.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the flip flappers will find a way

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
:( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH1rOL5hB9s :(

I hope to god Yayaka makes it. As much as I like the main characters, she's turned into my favorite character over the last couple of episodes.

Zeruel posted:

Obaa-chan standing up was the worst part

I've got to admit, that part hit me like a brick, too.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Honestly, between how much Granny had been creeping me out from the beginning and seeing her in the hospital where Cocona was having all those 'tests' done in last episode's flashback, I was already pretty certain that she was in on it. Didn't call her being a loving robot, though. Is the Klan just scientist man, Yayaka, and a bunch of robots? And the amorphous children, I guess, if we're not calling them robots.

I will say, I loving loved Yayaka getting ready to throw down on the twins with a motherfucking flowerpot.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 9, 2016

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
I hope Uexkull made it out all right. :ohdear:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It's ironic that of all the different Papikas we saw in that one episode, the only one we didn't see is the true (?) one.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

It's cute that all the engineered amorphous/PI-attuned kids have names like "blah-blah" (so I'm going to guess that Mimi fit into that category), while the natural ones have names that kind of approximate that.

So, why was robogran letting Cocona work for their supposed enemy? Did the coneheads think it was worth the risk to let another team gather amorphous, confident they could just steal it later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Dzhay posted:

It's cute that all the engineered amorphous/PI-attuned kids have names like "blah-blah" (so I'm going to guess that Mimi fit into that category), while the natural ones have names that kind of approximate that.

So, why was robogran letting Cocona work for their supposed enemy? Did the coneheads think it was worth the risk to let another team gather amorphous, confident they could just steal it later?

That's pretty much the Klan's game Yayaka has said that she could never find the amorphous in Pure Illusion without having Cocona and Papika guide her to it

• Locked thread