Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

it ultimately doesn't matter, but I wanted his last day to not be stressed with the vet

my dad will pay to have these house calls in the future because having his last dog refuse to look him in the eye at the vet in her last moments because she was upset with him for leaving her there overnight instead of bringing her home broke his heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

poo poo that would crush me too

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Nebraska. It's nice.

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/a-w...a9a923fb54.html

quote:

LINCOLN — Nebraska led the nation in resettling the most refugees per capita during the last year, according to newly released federal government data.

The state welcomed 1,441 refugees, or 76 per 100,000 Nebraskans, between October 2015 and September 2016, according to a Pew Research Center analysis of data from the U.S. State Department’s Refugee Processing Center and the U.S. Census Bureau.
Taking refugees in is cool and good.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Nebraska. It's nice.

likely the credit is due not to the state of nebraska, but rather to lincoln and especially omaha's existing vibrant immigrant communities

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Nebraska. It's nice.

They also just voted to reinstate the death penalty so you know

a bit of give and take

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w-XApAZB7E

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Nebraska. It's nice.

that this is considered a good number is pathetic

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

seeing johan galtung described as the "man who predicted 9/11" and a "futurist" is weird

also in shocking news johan galtung has yet again predicted the death of the american empire but this time TRUMP

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

http://i.imgur.com/d5q4yEb.gifv

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
ur supposed to show me bad food kals, youre slipping

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

those are some pretty beefy wrists

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

ur supposed to show me bad food kals, youre slipping
http://i.imgur.com/mI9JrxC.gifv

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
that one got right into it.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

kustomkarkommando posted:

seeing johan galtung described as the "man who predicted 9/11" and a "futurist" is weird

also in shocking news johan galtung has yet again predicted the death of the american empire but this time TRUMP

wer ist johan galtung

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

i'm going to make this in the very near future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xoU29mxhJ0

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

The Muppets On PCP posted:

wer ist johan galtung

very strange norwegian new-left figure and peace researcher

by all indications very clever, but also somewhat barmy

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

i'm going to make this in the very near future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xoU29mxhJ0

go for it! i believe in you!!

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

iirc he's convinced that if america is to remain an empire it will have to resort to fascism, and so fervently hopes for the death of the american empire

i have no idea why people call him a futurist

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Gin and Juche posted:

For Dept of Health I nominate Joe Camel

why wasn't ben carson selected for hhs or surgeon general? why hud?

hmmmmm........

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

iirc he's convinced that if america is to remain an empire it will have to resort to fascism, and so fervently hopes for the death of the american empire

which definition of futurist are they using

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

yeah thats the ticket

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

thank you

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Badger of Basra posted:

well i mean i'd guess that they aren't talking about the italian politico-aesthetic movement in any event

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

it was used in the "i'm a dude that just makes predictions on tv about poo poo" way

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I don't know flying cars or some poo poo or like the internet but on phones or something ~ imminent futurologist

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Chelb posted:

go for it! i believe in you!!

oh no that's fairly simple as far as fancypants stuff goes i'm just saying it looks like a good recipe, even if it is glorified chicken pot pie

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

oh no that's fairly simple as far as fancypants stuff goes i'm just saying it looks like a good recipe, even if it is glorified chicken pot pie

do it

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

V. Illych L. posted:

yeah sounds more like a presentist if'n ya ask me :v:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

kustomkarkommando posted:

it was used in the "i'm a dude that just makes predictions on tv about poo poo" way

so he's a norwegian shiggy

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

rip identity politics thread

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

rip identity politics thread

loving finally

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Chelb posted:

loving finally
i can't wait for next white thread come morning.

hmm

what about "Post-truth politics and race as a social construct - aren't we all the same?"

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i can't wait for next white thread come morning.

hmm

what about "Post-truth politics and race as a social construct - aren't we all the same?"

I give it January for a "Why no white history month" thread

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'm pretty sure that Number (II) is the white identity thread

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So you pride yourself on never forgetting a face?

Well, chimpanzees can do you one better.

Scientists at Leiden University in the Netherlands have discovered that chimps can recognize one another by their butts the way humans recall faces.

They detail their findings in a study called “Getting to the Bottom of Face Processing.”

“For chimpanzees, it’s all about the butt,” notes The Verge. “You won’t find a female chimp going ‘My eyes are up here,’ as it turns out that chimps often tell each other apart based on their behinds. Their brains even process butts in the same way that we process faces.”

Social animals need to be able to recognize one another quickly, and not just for identity. Humans faces communicate attractiveness and health.

Chimp buttocks supply the same type of information — as in whether a rear they see belongs to a relative or a female who is ovulating, according to LiveScience.

“Faces are enormously important for people, and all the features of our faces are optimally arranged to be seen and to communicate,” study author Mariska Kret, a neuropsychologist at Leiden University, said in a statement.

“In the course of evolution, our faces have acquired more contrast: red lips, the whites of our eyes, eyebrows and a smooth skin that makes everything more visible.”

For their experiment — which took place at a primate institute in Japan where Kret worked for nearly a year — researchers had both humans and chimpanzees match photos of various body parts — faces, butts, feet — and compared how they did.

“For example, you’d see a picture of someone’s foot and then later some other photos, and then would be asked to pick if that was the one you saw,” The Verge explained. “Some of these images were right-side-up, some were inverted. Then, they got chimps to do the same thing.

“Humans, as predicted, had the inversion effect for faces but not for butts. The chimps, on the other hand, had more trouble matching butt pictures when they were upside-down, but not face photos.”

Researchers determined that for the chimps, butts had “priority over other categories of objects,” Kret said.

Color also played an important role for the chimps, she explained in the online study.

“It is not without reason that it’s the face and buttocks of female primates that are free of hair, which makes the skin and color all the more visible,” she said.

“Primates’ eyes are perfectly set to distinguishing red tints. That’s why not only emotional expressions, such as blushing when we are angry or shy, become more visible, but also sexual arousal. It also explains why the buttocks of female chimpanzees are red.

“That may not apply to humans, but it does explain why women use lipstick and blusher.”

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jemimaskelley/jk-miranda?utm_term=.kdaYj4oDd#.vgvW9nDOP

very haram

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

could we, by the way, get off the page with the giant garbage gifs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

R. Mute posted:

could we, by the way, get off the page with the giant garbage gifs?

he posts them on every page

• Locked thread