Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Jesus. :stonk: That's grim. Is this the end of this particular path? I don't feel like very much was revealed, just more questions. I was hoping to learn a bit more about Ukita at the very least.

There's more that will be coming tomorrow.

EDIT: Update on the previous page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

TheMcD posted:

Watase shook his throbbing head and glanced at his watch. The time displayed on the faintly glowing LCD was ''5:50 PM''. It appeared he'd been unconscious for two and a half hours.

Again with the watch, and apparently now it's suddenly digital. What the hell. The alternative is that by "watch" he actually meant his PDA but that would be kinda weird.

I guess the headache radiation really was emitted by a person and it stopped once they died. Salyu seems very likely, Watase's headaches were growing stronger in her presence and afterwards he doesn't mention them anymore. Well, I assume all three of the kids were headache emitters but Salyu was the last one alive.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Well, that certainly spiraled out of control at light speed. drat, that was fast.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I think we achieved a bad ending.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

This is quite the prolonged bad end really. Kinda loses something when we've got to stumble from corpse to corpse like this.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
No, this seems clearly like an end but a bad one would've happened several updates ago

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
It seems like more of an actual ending though, like the knife or axe endings from 999 rather than the normal Watase yelling "you can't tell me what to do!" and running into a lamp post, shattering every bone in his body bad ends, so I imagine it'll involve actual plot stuff before we hit the credits :v:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I guess we're going to go through the story again with everyone on max to get the good ending.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Obviously to fix the ghost reactor, Watase has to become a ghost himself!

In more seriousness, I don't remember TheMcD saying anything about this route having "bad ends", other than the deaths when the Sense thing turns red. What makes you think this route has multiple endings? It could just be "here's how hosed these people are" and then we go to the Before route or Route B or whatever it's called and get the rest of the story.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I guess we're going to go through the story again with everyone on max to get the good ending.

This was literally the first thing I suggested forever ago and I was told the game doesn't work that way.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

CirclMastr posted:

Obviously to fix the ghost reactor, Watase has to become a ghost himself!

In more seriousness, I don't remember TheMcD saying anything about this route having "bad ends", other than the deaths when the Sense thing turns red. What makes you think this route has multiple endings? It could just be "here's how hosed these people are" and then we go to the Before route or Route B or whatever it's called and get the rest of the story.

This was literally the first thing I suggested forever ago and I was told the game doesn't work that way.

I will point out that all the way at the beginning, it shows that Root A has a ton of possible endings (I never ended up getting all of them myself). This includes every bad ending you can get. Obviously this is leading to a specific ending, but I'll leave it up to you what sort of ending it means.

I will also note that trying to put everyone on max would not have worked so far with the decisions you've seen.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I was the guy that got all the bad endings when I played and some of then are a pain to get, you have to try to get some of then on purpose by reloading from almost the beginning of the game and some are worth and others are not.

I dunno if we will see all of then but if not I can talk about some that I remember when the time is right.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

IceBorg posted:

I was the guy that got all the bad endings when I played and some of then are a pain to get, you have to try to get some of then on purpose by reloading from almost the beginning of the game and some are worth and others are not.

I dunno if we will see all of then but if not I can talk about some that I remember when the time is right.

This sort of game normally ends having those niche bad ends that are just as hard to achieve as a good one. That's why I think this is one of those. There will also probs be some super ending for finishing both routes with the "best" ending then unlocking another chapter or something to get the ULTIMATE ending.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'm a little bit curious how far this will actually work so I'm trying it now. Well except Watase gets to be set to middle the whole time because he kept diving into fires and such.

Edit: There's a decision early in chapter 2 where you must have Watase above Kazami to survive (a tie isn't good enough).

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 8, 2016

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I also wonder if the opposite is true, that putting everyone (Watase is the exception) on the bottom will get all the bad ends. Of course you would need to change everyone to the minimum when needed to keep the story going.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Nightmare's end: 09/16/2030, 18:15

♪ BGM: Close to the Truth

He checked his watch to find that the time was ''6:15 PM''--. It wouldn't be long before the lockdown was finally lifted.

None of his five companions who he'd been through thick and thin with were accompanying him. Nor were any of the three children they'd all tried to save--

It's finally over...

Indeed. The end of the nightmare was nigh. --What reality will be waiting for me when I wake up from this nightmare? Watase thought about that as he looked at the red lights shining on the bulkhead. That thought contained an unspeakable terror. But once that bulkhead opened, he could learn who the real ''Watase Kasasagi'' was. Was he a rescue worker, or a killer--? The answer to that would most likely become clear once the crimes that had occurred in LABO were examined by more unbiased eyes. And once they saw the many corpses that littered the place--

We hear a massive explosion. The screen is shaking.

Wh-what the...!?

We then hear a sound similar to fire, or an explosion, rushing through halls and getting closer. The screen is shaking violently.

What's that sound...!? Wha... what's going on...!?

A thunderous roar and vibrations rumbled at his feet and were closing in on him. Watase then turned to the emergency staircase behind him-- --Only for shockwaves and heat to come surging forward with the roar!

♪ BGM: Anxious Times of Rokumei City

We hear the sound of some door opening.

--He could hear a sound echoing from somewhere.

Ugh... ughh...

Watase's consciousness was in a shattered world. Sight, hearing, smell, taste, touch... all of his senses had been ravaged. His eyes were open, yet he could barely see anything. He couldn't even tell how far away that sound was, much less what direction it was coming from. The only thing that was clear to him was the stench of something burnt. His sense of taste had completely vanished. To top it all off, he couldn't move his body an inch-- He didn't even know if he still had limbs or not. It didn't feel like there was a world around for him to experience at all.

(Wha... what just-- happ--... ened...?)

Light flooded into Watase's presently disconnected field of vision--

???: Your top priority is securing the two test subjects! Don't forget to use NBC countermeasures! Take anyone else you find and send them to Rokumei City Hospital, dead or alive!
(Wha--... t? What are... they tal...--king about?)

Just then, Watase's blurry eyes caught sight of the letters ''NBC'' written on the men's protection suns.

???: Sir! We've located a survivor! We'll bring him out stat!

But the men started carrying him somewhere as the meaning of those letters remained a mystery to him.

Ugh, agh... agh ...... agh... (What--... the hell... happened here... in LABO...?) Ugh... agh... ugh... agh... (In the end... just who in the world--... Was the man... known as ''Watase Kasasagi''...?) Ugh, agh... agh ...... agh... (What--... the hell... happened here... in LABO...? Someone... tell... me...!)

But all that emerged from Watase's throat were indecipherable groans of agony-- And soon enough... his consciousness began to fade away.

Congratulations, everyone, we've reached our first credits roll! There's some voiceover in that credits roll that is interesting to know, but if you don't want to sit through the video, I'll just transcribe it here:

Unknown voice posted:

Now then, we have a third report regarding the explosion incident at LABO yesterday. You may already be aware of the initial reports, but let’s begin with a summary of the incident. The incident began on September 16th at 6:19 AM. At that time, multiple explosions and fires broke out at the same time in LABO’s basement areas.

Then at 6:26 AM, a rescue request was sent out in accordance with the emergency disaster manual, and the special elite rescue squad ''Sirius'' arrived on the scene. They commenced their rescue efforts on the surface floors of LABO. All of the researchers and staff in LABO’s basement areas were promptly evacuated with the exception of a select few. However, five members of Sirius ignored the warnings of the staff and headed down into the basement. Contact with one of the squad commanders was lost, then shortly afterwards, at 7:15 AM...

a ''Case N'' was declared inside LABO. What happened within LABO's walls after that remains largely a mystery. But Sirius communication logs reveal that at the very least, three squad members were conducting rescue efforts as late as 12:20 PM. Then at 6:17 PM, a large-scale explosion occurred in LABO’s core. Two minutes later, the bulkhead that partitioned the surface and basement areas of LABO opened up.

So that's basically what the outside world knows of the incident that happened within LABO. Looks like Watase at least wasn't a wanted murderer or something like that. Anyway, there's a post-credits chapter to wrap things up, so don't go anywhere.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 28, 2017

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Endless Nightmare: 09/19/2030, 09:19

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

A researcher read the report in his hands with a voice devoid of emotion, only to suddenly be interrupted by Dr. Tenkawa.

So then... what were the results of the identification of the bodies discovered in LABO?
Reporter: Those details are written in a separate sheet. To sum it up, there were 16 bodies in total-- They consisted of three researchers, two test subjects, two special observation targets, one observation target... three Communicator commissioners, four members of Sirius, and one observation target who was also a member of that very squad. All of them have been positively ID'd. So it pains me to inform you of this, but your son and his friend were amongst them...
... But... what were those children doing down in LABO's basement that day?
Reporter: According to a security guard, your son came to LABO that morning, claiming that he had business with you. But before the guard knew it, he'd suddenly disappeared out of sight...
Business with me...? --Impossible... could those kids have...!?
Reporter: Is something the matter? Do you have any idea what he meant?
Excuse me, but could you tell me if this incident was an accident or an act of man?
Reporter: We can't rule out the possibility that there was an 'NBC' outbreak, so we have yet to reach a conclusion on that matter. But judging from the frequent incidents that happened in Rokumei City over the past few days-- -—Section 6 is conducting their investigation on the incident at LABO under the belief that there is a high probability that this was an act of terrorism.
Terrorism... I knew it.
Reporter: Huh?
I have a favor for the men of Section 6. Please instruct them to investigate what my son Natsuhiko was doing over the past few days. He realized that there were terrorists out there just before the incident occurred. If we can find out what he discovered and why he went to LABO, we should be able to learn the truth behind this incident. So please--
Reporter: ...Understood. I'll arrange an investigation right away.

Rokumei City Hospital, ICU. His consciousness was still trapped in that nine hour long nightmare plagued with sin even at that very moment. A man nothing more than a living corpse who had been publicly and legally declared ''dead''. He couldn't hear the voices calling for him to wake up. His nightmare would never end. Not as long as he himself didn't wish to awaken from it--

So, you've been talking about just what kind of ending we seem to be heading towards, and here's your answer. This is not a bad ending. Watase is technically still alive, and he did make it out of LABO, even if his consciousness still remains there forever. This is not a good ending. Everybody except Watase is dead, and Watase himself is legally dead. As such, we arrive at the ''normal ending''. As you can see, there is only one normal ending for this route - the bad endings had numbers, but this one doesn't.

Now, you might look at this ''investigate what Natsuhiko was doing over the past few days'' thing and say that that's a lead-in for you to go to Route B, which is about the last few days before the LABO incident from the point of view of Natsuhiko. But you'd be wrong. As you can see, the game tells us what we need to fix in order to get a better ending. However, the next question is ''how do we do that?''. As it stands, the game is telling us to waste less time. It doesn't tell us where we wasted time or anything, just that we need to fix it. This can be quite aggravating - I recall talking to somebody who didn't like this at all - but I didn't have too much trouble working it out because I made the same fuckup we did here, and it's fairly easy to realize how to fix it.

Where is it? Well, I gave you some help. Remember that I screenshotted several times where the game told us that we wasted time, and only one of them has an easy way to fix it. See if you can work out where it is, and what we need to do. Of course, you don't have to - I'll make that necessary change all the same. So, next time, we un-gently caress ourselves and we'll eventually see what saving just a little bit of time can do.

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

TheMcD posted:

Remember that I screenshotted several times where the game told us that we wasted time, and only one of them has an easy way to fix it. See if you can work out where it is, and what we need to do

So! I skimmed backwards through the thread looking for the wasted time screenshots (actually, I missed one on the way, heh) and then re-read looking for yellow branches, time mentions, etc., taking notes as I went:

Repair: 09/16/2030, 12:46

• Our first mention of "hmm why am I capping this line saying not to waste time?"
  • A Watase/Jun yellow branch (we had both high, Jun higher): Watase fails to pull the elevator doors open and so has Jun try to fix the control panel
  • If we change this though it seems like it'd shortcut around multiple Jun affection scene opportunities which seems weird if it does lead to good end?

The Fugitive: 09/16/2030, 13:16

• An Ena yellow branch (we had Ena low): Watase interrupts Ena and Salyu, Salyu flees

Smoking Barrel: 09/16/2030, 13:31

• A Jun/Ukita/Ena yellow branch (we had Jun high, Ukita/Ena low): the fight over the gun, a wasted time mention, then it adds Watase in when it goes red
  • Note we only rewound to the red after we bad ended here, usually we've rewound to the yellow
  • Also seems to be the final yellow branch before everyone starts dying

I don't know what configuration of Senses we're going to want but my bet for un-loving ourselves is the yellow branch in Smoking Barrel. Given the way things do end up shaking out I think having Ena highest might be the way to go but my confidence in that isn't great.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Edit: ^^^^^ Good work

ArashiKurobara posted:

Repair: 09/16/2030, 12:46

• Our first mention of "hmm why am I capping this line saying not to waste time?"
  • A Watase/Jun yellow branch (we had both high, Jun higher): Watase fails to pull the elevator doors open and so has Jun try to fix the control panel
  • If we change this though it seems like it'd shortcut around multiple Jun affection scene opportunities which seems weird if it does lead to good end?

Dono about the first point but: 2nd point set Jun higher than Watase so we trust her to fix it or set both of them low so that we ignore it? 3rd point, Jun went crazy therefore no longer best girl; the Lieutenant was still trying to be a champ so I say we be nicer to her :3:

ArashiKurobara posted:

The Fugitive: 09/16/2030, 13:16

• An Ena yellow branch (we had Ena low): Watase interrupts Ena and Salyu, Salyu flees

Set Ena to higher than Watase.

ArashiKurobara posted:

Smoking Barrel: 09/16/2030, 13:31

• A Jun/Ukita/Ena yellow branch (we had Jun high, Ukita/Ena low): the fight over the gun, a wasted time mention, then it adds Watase in when it goes red
  • Note we only rewound to the red after we bad ended here, usually we've rewound to the yellow
  • Also seems to be the final yellow branch before everyone starts dying

First point/second I'm not sure on maybe try putting everyone on high or everyone on low and seeing what happens.

TheMcD posted:

So then... what were the results of the identification of the bodies discovered in LABO?
Reporter: Those details are written in a separate sheet. To sum it up, there were 16 bodies in total-- They consisted of three researchers, two test subjects, two special observation targets, one observation target... three Communicator commissioners, four members of Sirius, and one observation target who was also a member of that very squad. All of them have been positively ID'd. So it pains me to inform you of this, but your son and his friend were amongst them...

16 bodies?

So the 4 team members, those two corpses in the bloody room, the dead girl, the old man, two of our dead friends and the three dead kids.

That's only 13. Where are the other 3 :aaa:?

Also observation targets? LABO are stalking people, presumably with BC powers considering "Communicator commissioners" and those earlier reports Ena found. But the biggest thing is one of the observation targets is on our own team.

Are WE the psychic and that's why we have the SSS system? It came up vaguely in the report too.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 9, 2016

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

TheMcD posted:

Now, you might look at this ''investigate what Natsuhiko was doing over the past few days'' thing and say that that's a lead-in for you to go to Route B, which is about the last few days before the LABO incident from the point of view of Natsuhiko. But you'd be wrong. As you can see, the game tells us what we need to fix in order to get a better ending. However, the next question is ''how do we do that?''. As it stands, the game is telling us to waste less time. It doesn't tell us where we wasted time or anything, just that we need to fix it. This can be quite aggravating - I recall talking to somebody who didn't like this at all - but I didn't have too much trouble working it out because I made the same fuckup we did here, and it's fairly easy to realize how to fix it.

Where is it? Well, I gave you some help. Remember that I screenshotted several times where the game told us that we wasted time, and only one of them has an easy way to fix it. See if you can work out where it is, and what we need to do. Of course, you don't have to - I'll make that necessary change all the same. So, next time, we un-gently caress ourselves and we'll eventually see what saving just a little bit of time can do.[/i]

There is one good reason for a player to move onto Route B actually. If you have Route B completed, an extra decision point unlocks after Yuuri's body mysteriously disappears. LPwise it's not worth showing off at all because literally the only difference is they skip searching for Yuuri and go straight back to the lab. Gamewise however you avoid the biggest time waster and have a much easier time avoiding this ending (it might not even be possible to mess up after that).

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

whitehelm posted:

There is one good reason for a player to move onto Route B actually. If you have Route B completed, an extra decision point unlocks after Yuuri's body mysteriously disappears. LPwise it's not worth showing off at all because literally the only difference is they skip searching for Yuuri and go straight back to the lab. Gamewise however you avoid the biggest time waster and have a much easier time avoiding this ending (it might not even be possible to mess up after that).

Oh does this end up being a case of play both Routes and as you get Ending X in each one you unlock more options in the other so you can get the super ending by finding the whole truth and playing with 0 time wastage? That's actually pretty neat if really loving fiddly.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I'm guessing either Kazami or Watase is the observation target in Sirius. I think it may actually be Kazami (mysterious dead sister, remember) rather than Watase, so I'm setting my senses high for her, I guess...

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Gridlocked posted:

Oh does this end up being a case of play both Routes and as you get Ending X in each one you unlock more options in the other so you can get the super ending by finding the whole truth and playing with 0 time wastage? That's actually pretty neat if really loving fiddly.

No...the only difference is what I said. It's still possible to get the good ending for this route the first time (which TheMcD is about to do) just a bit harder. I'm not sure if there are any extra Route B scenes that require Route A (because I played A first) but if there are it doesn't affect the endings at all.

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 9, 2016

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I'm guessing either Kazami or Watase is the observation target in Sirius. I think it may actually be Kazami (mysterious dead sister, remember) rather than Watase, so I'm setting my senses high for her, I guess...

It would be very anime for the one who talks about adult-BC users being rare to be a latent BC user. Yeah I say it's her.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Why do I have a feeling that avoiding wastes of time will involve choosing an exceptionally arbitrary array of senses?

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
So, the bodies confirmed are-
2 test subjects (Yuuri and Elevator Girl?)
Two special observation targets (Louise and Natsuhiko)
Two observation targets (Mashiro, and the other in Sirius so it's Kazami)
Three researchers (two corpses and Ukita)
Four members of Sirius (either not counting Watase as he was found alive, or not counting Kazami as she is mentioned as an observation target)
Three communicator commissioners (by process of elimination, Ena must be one of these three, with two to go)

EDIT: So wait, if Ukita is just a 'researcher' (albeit probably a high-ranked one) and Ena is an actual 'commissioner' (whatever that may be), that means she's higher up than Ukita (probably)....VINDICATION! All my suspicions were correct! Also, confirmation (as if we needed any) that Ena's story of being a teacher on a school trip is false, seeing as Natsuhiko conned a guard to get in. Hich is all the more suspicious when you note the only children she is seen to have been interacting with are Yuuri (test subject, seemingly recognised her before losing her nerve) and Louise (likely former test subject, antagonistic relationship).

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 9, 2016

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

TheMcD posted:

???: Your top priority is securing the two test subjects! Don't forget to use NBC countermeasures! Take anyone else you find and send them to Rokumei City Hospital, dead or alive!
(Wha--... t? What are... they tal...--king about?)

TheMcD posted:

Excuse me, but could you tell me if this incident was an accident or an act of man?
Reporter: We can't rule out the possibility that there was an 'NBC' outbreak, so we have yet to reach a conclusion on that matter. But judging from the frequent incidents that happened in Rokumei City over the past few days-- -—Section 6 is conducting their investigation on the incident at LABO under the belief that there is a high probability that this was an act of terrorism.

I don't like this NBC chat. We all agreed on it by this point, but what I want to know is whether Jun and Kazami knew what AD was really for considering the rest of Sirius knew once the door opened. If so, why lie to Watase and go along with LABO's procyon's radiation story? If not, why were we the only ones to not know?

Also just to recap to make sure I have my facts straight:

Killed by gunshot wound to the chest, most likely by Ukita.
Killed with an engine cutter, likely by Ukita (Ukita's corpse was holding the cutter).
Killed by gunshot wound to the head, most likely by Ukita (outright said "Hmph, so what if I did?" when Watase accused him, also had the magazine Ena was carrying).
Killed with a piece of debris, either by falling or from an unknown assailant bludgeoning him.
Got in a fight with quantum mechanics, both killed by a gunshot to the head and vapourized by the time stream.
MIA.
Confirmed killed by Watase from getting dunked so hard.
Killed by gunshot wound by unknown assailant.
Mind burned.

My conclusion is Ukita's a dickhole. Something that sits weirdly with me is that in the time Ena and Watase ran away, Ukita both got the bullets for the gun, and also pissed off Jun enough for her to want to murder him. It could be just her being bananas, but the lines

TheMcD posted:

Hmph, so what if I did? You guys crushed my hopes. So it's only fair that you receive retribution for that, wouldn't you agree?

quote:

I'm real sorry 'bout everything, Captain... I had it all wrong... It was all that bastard's fault... and yet I doubted you like you were a criminal... So don't worry... I'll make sure you don't have to stain your hands in this... It pains me to do this... but I'll be sure to kill Mr. Ukita...

implies Ukita stopped pretending he's not in on the shady-rear end ghost reactor poo poo, and Jun found out. Watase blacked out for what seems to be Three loving Hours (14:55 when Watase accidentally killed Salyu and confronted Ukita, then 17:49 when he wakes up) so literally anything could have happened there. Also he didn't die from ghost radiation and also wasn't moved from where he blacked out.

Basically what I'm saying is I don't know what the gently caress

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I don't yet feel that Ukita's really a villain/minion. There's so much going on that he just strikes me more as a scapegoat, a pawn someone's playing against Watase. Obviously this may be proven incorrect on our next run and Ukita's truly a rat bastard.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
My first instinct would be to mess around with the gun decision as well, but the scene where we met Salyu for the first time felt like it could be another thing. Besides the Procyon mysteriously going nuts as Watase's getting closer to her (what could it be), we stopped and hesitated going after her mid-chase. I doubt it's a vital choice but I'm still kinda curious what would happen if we were more confident about running after her. I'm guessing we'll just get super headache a little faster.

What I'm saying is bump the kids to top.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

There's an interesting line that's come up in this ending that I'm surprised no one's mentioned yet. We'll address it soon enough.

In the meantime, continuing high consumption of popcorn.

whitehelm posted:

It's definitely still possible to hit this route through a decision point that vanished as a result of us messing up.

Cyouni fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Dec 9, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Well, I forgot to render the next batch of footage, so it'll be a bit before I can start working on the update, but I guess I might as well just tell you how we un-gently caress ourselves. I see three points being brought up (well, also the scene where we first meet Salyu, but that's not it - it only counts after the "don't waste time" mention in Repair):

- The Watase/Jun branch in Repair. Jun being higher actually was the right choice here. Watase being higher means that he tries to repair it, doesn't have a loving clue what he's doing, and wastes more time.
- The Ena branch in The Fugitive. We actually got the branch for Ena's Sense being high - 4 or higher is the high one, 3 or lower the low one. The difference is only that the low branch means we get a -1 to Ena's Favor as Watase thinks that Ena acting like that is being suspicious.
- Finally, the correct answer, the yellow branch in Smoking Barrel. However, having Ena high is not the answer. It would just lead to the same result regardless of who you have highest - Watase says that one should have the gun, the other two object, we waste time. No, the correct answer should actually have been obvious, it's not arbitrary at all. If you avoid death in the red branch, you see what Watase comes up with to make everybody happy: Splitting the gun into three parts and equally distributing them between the three. How do you think you get that right from the yellow branch? Simple - by setting the Senses for all three to the same value. Then Watase gets the idea to split the gun up right from the start and you don't waste time.

I don't know if there were other points where we could have saved time, but this one timesaver is enough to get us to Natsuhiko in time.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I'm glad Ena became more sympathetic on this path, even if she also simultaneously managed to get more suspicious.

I wonder if everything we've seen has even been real? How much of this stuff might actually be visual disturbances induced by the ~ ghost reactor ~?

e: also wanted to say I've rated the thread a :five:

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013
And yeah, my mentions of the other couple options was just hitting "here's all the yellows since what looks like the important point, and the tl;dr of what happened" (minus the couple that were explicitly called out as being for Jun scenes) and then some reasoning; I was pretty sure Smoking Gun's was the only one we actually needed but I wanted to lay it all out.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Unfucking Ourselves - From Smoking Barrel to Cause

Alright, time for a more informal chapter. We need to unfuck ourselves and waste less time, and there's one main place where we can do that, which is here, at the yellow branch in Smoking Barrel.

Since we already know that the solution Watase comes up with is splitting the gun into three parts, it should go to follow that the way to get to that answer early is to set everybody's Sense to the same value. If you do that, Watase suggests the splitting up idea right away, and we don't waste a lot of time arguing. There's no real major text change, so we're just going to be skipping along.

We arrive in Lesson having saved three minutes, which apparently is enough. I've read that the maximum you can lose is nine minutes, and we're guaranteed to lose some with Watase demanding that people search for Yuuri after the corpse he saw disappears - which you can only avoid if you've already beaten Route B. I'm not entirely sure on the specifics, though. At this point, I engage the ''skip'' function, a wonderful thing in VNs that makes it so that you really quickly skip over any text you've already seen, and it automatically stops at Senses inputs, though I don't change anything from what we did the last time around.

We then go through Test Subject, Dreamlike and Suspicion with nothing changing. However, in An Unconvenient Truth, there is a small change when we first come up to the door to the surveillance room.

He heard a voice from inside.

Was that... Tachibana?

Just then, she started talking again.

...won't believe that... ...rld are you? Why...--

He couldn't hear the voice behind the door all that well, but it seemed like she was talking to someone.

Captain, quit staring off into space and open the door already!

And from then it proceeds as the last time we did this chapter. Of course, it makes sense that we would hear something different from Kazami's conversation with... something if we arrived earlier. We then go through Cross-Examination with no changes either, with the next larger change showing up in Cause.

This comes in after ''Feelings of abandonment seized Watase.''

Watase's head suddenly started hurting and his skin felt numb. It was just like the time he'd been in a contaminated zone--

!!

Watase checked his watch. It was past time for them to take AD.

This is kind of interesting, because it brings up a change that I didn't notice because the ''skip'' thing doesn't notify you when something just doesn't happen at all - and in this case, the bit in An Inconvenient Truth where the group took their AD was completely removed, and they instead take AD here.

Crap! Teach, administer your AD!
R-right!

Watase and Ena frantically injected themselves with their last AD. Watase felt his headache settle down immediately as he did so. The Procyon's reading was at ''5726 mSv''.

Now we really can't live without the AD...!

In other words, Watase and the others only had an hour left to live.

...I mean, think about it: it's been a real long time since it passed the first danger standard.

...and then it just goes on like it did the last time, up to Ena saying ''I'll be right back, so wait here, okay?''. Last time, Watase let her go, but this time...

No, hold on! That's too dangerous!
Huh?
Those guys are already suspicious of you after the whole gun incident. Anything could happen if they see you now.
But... then what are we supposed to do? We can't search for AD, the survivors, or an escape route in these circumstances, right? We're screwed unless we can persuade the others!
...!

The situation did indeed look hopeless. Even if they could persuade Jun and Ukita, that wouldn't change the fact that they didn't have enough AD. Everyone would be exposed to radiation in just another hour. They'd struggled as hard as they could for the last five hours, but in the end--

(Now that I think about it, we haven't solved any of our problems...!)

They hadn't found the survivors, to say the least of Yuuri. Someone with a gun could be hiding down there with them. His once trusted allies now saw him as their enemy.

But even if we can't persuade them... all we have to do is find a way that'll let everyone survive.
Well, of course! But do you really think any such way exists!?

He didn't. All normal methods were impossible. If there had been a way, then they would have done it ages ago.

(But what if we've been thinking about this the wrong way the whole time...!? Is there a method that we haven't thought of yet...? If it means running into a danger we've avoided up until now... or putting my own life on the line... If I'm prepared for that, than what's the first method I can do...!?)

Words that he had heard a while back-- Replayed themselves in Watase's mind.

Commander: The security's system's gone haywire thanks to that, which means in theory that we can no longer access it externally.

A lightbulb went off in his head. A wide smile then spontaneously adorned his cheeks.

Wh-what is it?

Watase answered Ena's puzzled question with a subdued voice.

...Teach. I thought of a way to solve all our problems.
...Huh?
The answer was right there at the very beginning. I already knew long ago how to save everyone.
Wh... what are you talking about!? Why'd you keep it a secret if you knew all along!?
Shh!

Watase put his index finger to his lips. Ena went quiet with a start.

Don't shout... we're done for if Moribe and the old man realize we're in here.
Do you really... know what to do?
Yeah. I'll tell you and you alone. Listen up.
...?

Ena walked up to Watase in surprise. He then brought his mouth to her ear--

Listen up. That method... is for me to sacrifice my life.

and whispered those decisive words.

Huh!?

Ena's eyes widened. Watase then slipped behind her and got her in a chokehold.

Ghh!

Watase paid no attention to Ena's pained grunts and kept squeezing her neck.

*cough*...! Wh-why...!?
...I'm sorry. Now that you know, you would've tried to stop me, right? So I'm sorry, but I'll need you to take a little nap here for a while.

Before long, strength left Ena's body. Watase laid her on the floor.

He heard the auditory hallucination echo through his head again. It no longer even surprised him. So he paid no heed to it and left the room.

And then, we enter a new chapter.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 9, 2016

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

"What do you think you're you doing?"

Oh, this typo. Even Watase's weird voice doesn't know what even.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
:wtf: Asphyxiating people is not a safe way to render them unconscious. There's no safe way to do that. And leaving an unconscious person unsupervised is dangerous as hell for them -- what the christ, Watase?

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
RIP Teach

It seems a bit odd that Watase would just arbitrarily realize that sending Ena alone isn't necessarily a good plan just because they're here a few minutes earlier than the last time, but I guess it must be related to when exactly they're getting the AD, somehow. Either that or it's really just a videogame thing.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
to be fair Watase was unconcious for three hours, when being unconcious for even a few seconds can lead to major brain damage, so we're using Anime/Video Game rules of convenient unconciousness :v:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
he's already brain damaged and we lamp-shaded some other dumb tropes so why not this one :cripes: for the love of amine whyyy

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

:wtf: Asphyxiating people is not a safe way to render them unconscious. There's no safe way to do that. And leaving an unconscious person unsupervised is dangerous as hell for them -- what the christ, Watase?

The reason is Anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Huh. I'd swear there was a decision point in the room with Ena which I voluntarily chose to fail at some point. Maybe it only happens if you follow Ena around for her events/have done Root B already.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

To be fair, it is slightly safer than having her wandering around with people trying to kill her - see what happened in Normal End. And you totally know she'd follow Watase out if she had the chance.

• Locked thread