Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Wowzers this is unfunny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Wowzers this is unfunny.

Russ Frushtick is a human diaper. This same video with almost any other Polygon personality would've been fine.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Russ and Justin also made a followup to that "Brief History of Clue" video they made ages ago. This one's about Super Mario Bros 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaXVAHXJ7m0

What did Russ do, anyway? I'm not up on my Reviewer drama.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

I um, definitely actually put on the ASMR Casper episode and listened to it with the lights off in bed. And it did actually relax me into a pleasant sleep, though only in the last ten minutes because I kept laughing hysterically. Though there's an argument to be made that the laughter helped my rest! All-time episode for sure.
The absolute best part was when Justin revealed that "if you see a horse sleeping lying down, it's dreaming" and Griffin gasped in sheer wonderment.

Also, everyone should definitely watch Terrace House.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

EZEKIEL!

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Please help, somehow I missed the origin of glass shark. For some reason I feel like it has to do with Justin's crab shack story but I don't see how unless it was some sort of serving tureen.

Also is terrace house another Bachelorette season or something? Or ANTM? How is this poo poo getting past me?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Please help, somehow I missed the origin of glass shark. For some reason I feel like it has to do with Justin's crab shack story but I don't see how unless it was some sort of serving tureen.

Also is terrace house another Bachelorette season or something? Or ANTM? How is this poo poo getting past me?

Someone stole a shark from the Crab Shack, yeah.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Try the episode called Glass Shark (it is 215)

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

There was a rubber shark involved in the Crab Shack story, and they name drop glass shark then, but as far as I know the origin is,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gYgXxIRmac

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

No, it's a Japanese reality show where six people live in a house, available in netflix. I think there's like 48 episodes. It's a pretty different beast compared to Bachelorette/ANTM, so try it anyway no matter what your opinions on those shows.

Toaster Beef posted:

Russ Frushtick is a human diaper. This same video with almost any other Polygon personality would've been fine.
Even that one who made a weird video review of a gun-building game? Ben Kuchera if I'm not mistaken?

Was the reviewer who said PS4's controllers felt like woman's nipples from Polygon?

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 9, 2016

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I hate reality shows but gave Terrace House a shot. It's a slow burn but it's shot incredibly well and has no talking heads. It does have a team of commentators, which take some time to warm to. Everyone is pretty polite and seem like fairly decent people. It's also designed as a Netflix distributed show so there's no commercials and recapping is pretty limited.

It's like reality tv that was invented in a different dimension. Worth a shot if you have Netflix anyway. I'm not sure how long we'll stick with it as reading subtitles for 48 episodes of a slow-paced show might get old quick.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Oh wow. When did they start talking about this? I feel like they just started dropping the name of the show a bunch recently. I'm gonna start watching it right now!

Edit: holy poo poo I am immediately charmed by these polite people and I want to be their friend.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 9, 2016

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I think in the Pres Shaq episode Griffin recommended it to Justin. Then both of their Twitter accounts start praising Terrace House, to the point where Justin say:
https://mobile.twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/805632367364816896

Hell, Justin even wrote a laudatory article about it. If you're as inundated in Reality Shows as they are, Terrace House is very refreshing.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So what is Terrance HOuse? A Reality show minus the stupid bullshit?

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

BigRed0427 posted:

So what is Terrance HOuse? A Reality show minus the stupid bullshit?

A reality show where the contestants are polite (to a point) and solve personal problems like adults (to a point). There are segments where some other people commentate on their behaviour. Very Japanese.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Well so far, a college baseball player, a model, and a tap dancer are chatting politely but slightly passive aggressively in what seems to be a budding love triangle so you tell me?

Edit: spoilered out of an abundance of caution holy poo poo did those first two girls just flawlessly execute the most subtle partner switch in human history?

Edit 2: Makoto eat like Goku. Or I guess any male anime character. Is that just really how they eat, all crazy and fast?

Edit 3: Holy poo poo, Makoto IS Goku

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 9, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Terrace House is basically the most relaxing and chill show ever. I love garbage fire people reality TV like Big Brother and most of the MTV ouevre (and Survivor, although that's more because it's an Actually Good Game) and Terrace House is basically the exact opposite of that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Well so far, a college baseball player, a model, and a tap dancer are chatting politely but slightly passive aggressively in what seems to be a budding love triangle so you tell me?

Edit: spoilered out of an abundance of caution holy poo poo did those first two girls just flawlessly execute the most subtle partner switch in human history?

pretty much, a group of actually normal and balanced people are in a reality show, they deal with 'reality show problems' but for the most part deal with them like grown rear end people and not piss kids and rat boys.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
How do Griffin handle watching so many shows with piss kids and rat boys

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

toanoradian posted:

How do Griffin handle watching so many shows with piss kids and rat boys

Work from home career + having a kid =

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Russ seems okay, it's just a weird awkward premise and a super long video. I can't imagine watching episodes of this every week.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em26e5tlwqQ

A short one, but a good one. I hope they find a new map like extreme testing grounds next episode, because gridmaps are getting a bit stale.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Yeah I've been getting everyone I know into Terrace House and they've all loved it. I hate how they divide the first part of the season into 18 episodes, so you blitz through it and think "well the second part can't beore than 18 episodes"

Syke! It's twice as long as the first half!

Spoilers for up until episode 22
Okay the new model girl (name starts with an N and I'm too lazy to look it up) is a complete jerk and I absolutely despise her. She's just trying to start poo poo and I don't know to what end. I'd say steal Arman but that's a mutual like and doesn't require being a dick to the couple.

Arman is super cool though. I feel bad for Mizuki(? I'm really bad at remembering their names) when she got him stolen from under her and just ended up having to leave.

Also the two comedian dudes on the commentary team are funny as hell.

Go watch Terrace House

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Yeah, I'm liking what I've seen of Terrace House. I'm a big fan of shows like Big Brother and Survivor, but had never watched stuff like The Real World, The Bachelor, etc.

It's been slow-going, though, as I've mostly only had time this week to watch stuff while multitasking. Hard to watch a show with subtitles while doing dishes or drawing or whatever.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I haven't been following Rose Buddies very closely, but they actually did an episode about Terrace House. Go check it out if you want to know more.

Also, Rose Buddies isn't on Maximum Fun?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

toanoradian posted:

I haven't been following Rose Buddies very closely, but they actually did an episode about Terrace House. Go check it out.

Also, Rose Buddies isn't on Maximum Fun?

Rose buddies is a Griffin and Rachel McElroy original production, yes.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
It's just surprising to me, considering the two other "McElroy Boy+Wife" shows are on Maximum Fun.

Clearly because the title doesn't start with an S

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They could probably just start their own podcast network at this point and cripple maximum fun. Not that they should.

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

greatn posted:

They could probably just start their own podcast network at this point and cripple maximum fun. Not that they should.

I've seen a lot of people say this in this thread (not to single you out) but honestly I don't think they should or even could. Not handling the administrative bullshit of a podcast network is the only way they're able to punch out 5-8 podcasts/video series per brother(!). Plus, I don't think it hurts them to have the extra exposure of being linked to non-McElroy shows.

People may gripe about the WASPiness and/or pseudo-twee lameness of some of the other MaxFun hosts, but I highly doubt any potential listeners are saying "yeah, TAZ sounds cool and I like what I've heard, but I CANNOT ABIDE A GIANT BEARDED BABY TELLING ME WHAT SOCKS TO WEAR I SAY GOOD DAY TO YOUR NETWORK MR. THORN". And if they are, they got bigger problems than what podcasts to listen to.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Straight up, one day I went "I should be listening to more podcasts." and googled good comedy podcasts. I landed on Jordan Jesse Go but I didn't really like it, yet I heard the TAZ ad through it and that's how I became absorbed by the McElroy Podcast Empire.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
The Flophouse brought me to Maximum fun, and from there I too was absorbed. Flophouse, MBMBAM and TAZ are my favourites, but JJGo, Bullseye and International Waters are also great. Also, Coolgamesinc is absolutely awesome, but I'm sure everyone here knows that already.

Edit: In fact, I'm pretty sure I was introduced to the McElroys through the flophouse crossover episode, so it worked for someone

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Straight up, one day I went "I should be listening to more podcasts." and googled good comedy podcasts. I landed on Jordan Jesse Go but I didn't really like it, yet I heard the TAZ ad through it and that's how I became absorbed by the McElroy Podcast Empire.

My fiancee and I were looking for a way to listen to something we both find fun, since we hate each other's radio habits. TAZ and MBMBaM solved our problem.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I don't listen to anything non-McElroy on Maximum Fun, and I think it's because I hate the ads - they're awful. For instance, if I had to guess, I'd say Stop Podcasting Yourself is probably hilarious because Paul F. Tompkins has been on it, but every time I hear that dumb ad on MBMBaM with that dumb music and the dumb joke about drinking bleach, I'm just so turned off. Even worse with The Flophouse ads. I'm sure I'm missing out but I just feel like the ads are doing more harm than good.

Is that what TAZ ads sound like on other podcasts?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Erwin posted:

I don't listen to anything non-McElroy on Maximum Fun, and I think it's because I hate the ads - they're awful. For instance, if I had to guess, I'd say Stop Podcasting Yourself is probably hilarious because Paul F. Tompkins has been on it, but every time I hear that dumb ad on MBMBaM with that dumb music and the dumb joke about drinking bleach, I'm just so turned off. Even worse with The Flophouse ads. I'm sure I'm missing out but I just feel like the ads are doing more harm than good.

It's a rule that podcast ads are terrible everywhere you go. The only one I ever liked was Beautiful Anonymous and that was less the ad itself and more the fact that its core concept is just good enough to sell itself.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Part of the thing with many podcasts without a friendly recommendation, no one knows where to jump in. MBMBaM have Youtube, and particularly samplers, that they encourage people to share. SPF is a great show but I couldn't really say much other than the standard "try and find an episode with a comedian you like as the star" method. Some podcasts (Overdue comes to mind) are smart and have a recommended list of easily-accessed episodes on their reasonably-easy-to-find websites.

On the other hand, podcasts are free and discoverable anytime, and people won't even try a random (or the newest) ep of a podcast they're not sure about, or else just jump to conclusions based on an ad.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I love bad movies, so I would probably love The Flophouse, but that one ad where the guy with the horrible nerdlinger voice sings a song is like nails on a chalkboard.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
We are 100% stuck in a time loop

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

We are 100% stuck in a time loop

We're going to repeat 2016 until we get it right

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Erwin posted:

"Who the gently caress is this guy with the irritating cartoon voice saying "I'm Taco, the Elephant Magician"? This show sounds unbearable" - me for a solid year

Seriously every single Max Fun ad is incredibly awful.

Stumiester posted:

The Flophouse brought me to Maximum fun, and from there I too was absorbed. Flophouse, MBMBAM and TAZ are my favourites, but JJGo, Bullseye and International Waters are also great. Also, Coolgamesinc is absolutely awesome, but I'm sure everyone here knows that already.

Edit: In fact, I'm pretty sure I was introduced to the McElroys through the flophouse crossover episode, so it worked for someone

Same. I've listened to The Flop House for like 2 or 3 years and I had heard of MBMBAM but the idea didn't really seem all that gripping, so I never checked it out. Then they did that crossover episode, and while I didn't love the McElroy version of The Flop House, when I listened to the Adventure Zone crossover episode I though "oh, hey, I think I'll check this show out, it's a cool concept." And then I loved it so much that once I finished binging through it, I started listening to MBMBAM.

So I guess the crossover worked exactly as intended! Even though almost all the crossover episodes I listened to were pretty bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Erwin posted:

For instance, if I had to guess, I'd say Stop Podcasting Yourself is probably hilarious because Paul F. Tompkins has been on it, but every time I hear that dumb ad on MBMBaM with that dumb music and the dumb joke about drinking bleach, I'm just so turned off.

Listen to any one of the PFT episodes and see how you like it. I've fallen off of listening every week but it really is very good.