Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Kickfarted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I guess Kickstarter had the fear of god put into them, because the Kickstarter update has been, erm, updated with some speedier refund timing:

quote:

3PM PST Update on refund timing:

Kickstarter will process refunds for all eligible pledges within one week. Please note that it may take ten business days for the refund to appear on a backer's credit or debit card statement. In the event that the initial refund attempt is unsuccessful, steps will be taken to ensure all refunds are successfully processed. Once a refund is successfully processed, backers will receive an email from Kickstarter notifying them of the amount of the refund and the payment source refunded.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

The Kins posted:

I guess Kickstarter had the fear of god put into them, because the Kickstarter update has been, erm, updated with some speedier refund timing:

a few thousand potential chargebacks will do that

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hah, I wonder how many like me started a dispute process this morning. Kickstarter probably didn't like that.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
I picked up my Time today to see an all-black screen and it's not responding to any buttons :(

I loved my Pebbles. I'm so sad they're gone.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I literally ordered a pebble two from best-buy the day before they announced this and I unpackaged it today to come to see this. I like this watch but I don't fancy it bricking when IOs updates. Should I try and get a refund? like I like it but how long will it be wearable...?

Goons what now?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Toalpaz posted:

I literally ordered a pebble two from best-buy the day before they announced this and I unpackaged it today to come to see this. I like this watch but I don't fancy it bricking when IOs updates. Should I try and get a refund? like I like it but how long will it be wearable...?

Goons what now?

Return it. There is no warranty and no guarantee servers will stay on.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Blue Train posted:

Yea no refunds or warranty support. Owned
People are livid because early this year they were acting as if this product was ready to go and just needed money for the production costs. Not to mention being half a year late but still expected to launch in January.

I can see cancelling future production, but not being able to fulfill backer pledges seem like run-of-the-mill Kickstarter fuckery as opposed to being forced to end the project because there's no future.

Pants Donkey fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Dec 8, 2016

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
In a world where every company is focused on putting your phone on your watch and it looking bulky af, pebble was interested in making your wrist smarter without significantly compromising the "watch" part. And now they are gone and this rad niche is aswell.

hopefully xaomi makes a mi band 3 that is a spiritual successor to the pebble

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Time for a nautically appropriate thread title change?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Dali Parton posted:

Time for a nautically appropriate thread title change?
Pebble thread: Early adopters went down with ship

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Pebble Thread: Kickstopped

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pebble thread: You sunk my dreams

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Pebble: Not Afloat

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Pebble thread: You can skip a pebble a few times but they eventually sink

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I wonder how badly the pebble people are haunted by the fact they didn't sell to citizen for a stupid high amount instead of the nickles they sold to fitbit for

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 8, 2016

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Has there been any story on how it all broke down internally?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Pebble: the end of the Timeline.

Calaveron posted:

I wonder how badly the pebble people are haunted by the fact they didn't sell to citizen for a stupid high amount instead of the nickles they sold to fitbit for

You gotta roll the dice. Instagram folks probably kick themselves for taking only a billion whereas SnapChat looks smart for rejecting Facebook's 2 billion dollar offer.

I don't know if Pebble ever planned on staying independent. I figured they were always gunning for an acquisition. Maybe there was another suitor they thought would top Citizen's offer. 2015 was a dizzy time for tech.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Krispy Kareem posted:

I think this is favorite here. I only spent 20 dollars for my Pebble Classic because I had so many Best Buy giftcards. I feel burned because I've only had the watch for a year. I cant imagine what those who threw down hundreds are feeling :smith:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Dali Parton posted:

Has there been any story on how it all broke down internally?

Someone looked at the checking account and saw it was empty and then looked at the list of poo poo to order and realized there was no more cash.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I guess I didn't lose much on this because the Time 2 would have been my first pebble but man did I love the idea of this little machine.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

This one is good. Got my pebble classic last May and it's developed the screen tearing issue. Had planned on purchasing either a time or time round, guess not now! Got a mi band 2 instead, at least if it gets abandoned I'm only out 20 bucks. Oh well, :rip:

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I'm going to stick with my round. Too late to refund, but even if I could it's the best thing available right now and if my OG pebble is anything to go by it will last for two years minimum

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Lord Lambeth posted:

I guess I didn't lose much on this because the Time 2 would have been my first pebble but man did I love the idea of this little machine.

My Pebble Classic worked as well in practice as I had expected. I've scuffed it, scratched it against walls, shower with it almost always, only charge it once a week. It's pretty nice to forget it's there 90% of the time its on you. I'm not sure if I'm ready to have premium smartphone price and fragility on my wrist yet, so I'm hoping theres other options for "abusable smartwatch".

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I decided to purchase one of those Xaomi Band 2 things because it's a quarter of the price of a Pebble Time 2 which is getting refunded anyway. It doesn't do everything that the Pebble does but it:
A: Tells the time
B: Has a long battery (20 days)
C: doesn't look clunky as hell

Right now seems like a bad time to get on the Android Wear train since 2.0 is supposed to roll out next year, so this is a cheap compromise. If android wear ever improves on it's battery life and size issues I can always just use it as a fitness band.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Lord Lambeth posted:

I decided to purchase one of those Xaomi Band 2 things because it's a quarter of the price of a Pebble Time 2 which is getting refunded anyway. It doesn't do everything that the Pebble does but it:
A: Tells the time
B: Has a long battery (20 days)
C: doesn't look clunky as hell

Right now seems like a bad time to get on the Android Wear train since 2.0 is supposed to roll out next year, so this is a cheap compromise. If android wear ever improves on it's battery life and size issues I can always just use it as a fitness band.

Fitbit Charge 2 is $115 on Amazon today, tells the time, has (very limited) notifications and actually has really good fitness, HR and sleep tracking as opposed to the Xiaomi "It kind of works but it is cheap".

I just upgraded to it and am very happy, well worth the extra $60 in my opinion.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

That must be on American Amazon because I can't see it on Canadian Amazon

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Lord Lambeth posted:

That must be on American Amazon because I can't see it on Canadian Amazon

Oh, sorry, still, you might want to consider waiting. Walgreen's had a $70 off promo on the Charge 2 that I took advantage of, plus the $50 in Walgreens points I had sitting in my account, Best Buy and Target have already had sales for $130. Based on the way these things work I would expect $115 to not be an anomaly but a indication that it is going to be regularly discounted.

It's a really great device, I don't know that I would pay $100 more than the Band 2 about it is absolutely worth an extra $50-$60.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There are some entirely unsubstantiated rumours going around that some of the weirder decisions (core, the massive health software investments, refocusing away from straps and such) which ended up eating cash were a result of push by the venture capitalist investor board members to fitness tech in the hopes of a sale of the company to something like fitbit.

Entirely unsubstantiated.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 9, 2016

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

MikeJF posted:

There are some entirely unsubstantiated rumours going around that some of the weirder decisions (core, the massive health software investments, refocusing away from straps and such) which ended up eating cash were a result of push by the venture capitalist investor board members to fitness tech in the hopes of a sale of the company to something like fitbit.

Entirely unsubstantiated.

I wouldn't be surprised, Google and especially Apple are pouring staggering resources into their smart watches, something Pebble could never hope to match. Fitbit is struggling but has a popular product that is missing, well everything that Pebble has that would bridge a full featured smart watch and fitness tracker that does all the smart watch things that people really want.

Pebble has probably been looking for a Fitbit buyout for months, there is so much synergy in their products going up against Google, Apple and Samsung who seem firmly committed to dumping just shitloads of money into smart watches that are the antithesis of the Fitbit and Pebble brands of simple, useful data. And honestly it is too late for Apple/Samsung/Google to go back, they have committed to ridiculously resource hungry devices.

I don't think that the idea suggests anything nefarious, just that there were limited options to move the company forward, the companies interested in making high powered smart watches were not interested in the Pebble philosophy and extremely limited IP.

Cerebral Mayhem
Jul 18, 2000

Very useful on the planet Delphon, where they communicate with their eyebrows
I’ve been down this road before,
I remember Commodore.
My Amiga still runs fine,
Sitting on this desk of mine.
If loyal fans don’t say goodbye,
beloved platforms never die.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Never pledge to a Kickstarter.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I got a full refund just today for my Time 2 :O My credit card statement shows it now, even shipping. I told my bank because I had initiated a dispute and they laughed and said the chargebacks probably scared them into doing it faster.

Never kickstarter, never again, I actually hope they close my account permanently because of the chargeback.

e: I lost a bit on the exchange rate but whatever I'll deal with that as long as this mess is over

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 14, 2016

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I got a full refund just today for my Time 2 :O My credit card statement shows it now, even shipping. I told my bank because I had initiated a dispute and they laughed and said the chargebacks probably scared them into doing it faster.

Never kickstarter, never again, I actually hope they close my account permanently because of the chargeback.

e: I lost a bit on the exchange rate but whatever I'll deal with that as long as this mess is over

I got my full refund as well and hadn't started a chargeback or anything.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I got a full refund too.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Maybe they are running out of cash

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Maybe they are running out of cash

Yeah. I'll happily take my loonies and run, but I feel really bad for those getting hosed over with partial refunds.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Certainly never pledge to a Kickstarter if you think you're buying something from a store. Kickstarter is not a store.

Pledge to Kickstarters. Assume the project won't deliver. If you can't afford to lose your money, don't pledge. Assume the project will be late. You're not buying a product.

I can't say Kickstarter has been incredibly good at making sure people are as informed as they should be when backing projects, but never backing a kickstarter again is maybe the wrong lesson to take from all this.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I can't say Kickstarter has been incredibly good at making sure people are as informed as they should be when backing projects, but never backing a kickstarter again is maybe the wrong lesson to take from all this.

They're not good at that at all, and it's definitely a good lesson to take from it. gently caress Kickstarter. Buy products from stores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I got my Jerkcity book from Kickstarter so I can't say it's 100% poo poo.

• Locked thread