Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

why don't they look?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

VectorSigma posted:

why don't they look?

you're deep ernie

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Why didn't they see the train on the phone screen?

look at this guy who doesn't know about selfie composition

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

VectorSigma posted:

why don't they look?

Nobody ever looks. That's the beauty of double tracks.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Deteriorata posted:

Nobody ever looks. That's the beauty of double tracks.

No one ever expects the spanish inquisition second locomotive

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fe8_1315439502

:nws: of course

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Finally catching up with the last 100-or-so pages of horrific (and entertaining!) negligence of basic safety has made me appreciate the fact that my job takes safety very (and sometimes ridiculously) seriously, mostly due to the constant reminder that being a corner-cutting gently caress-up can potentially lead to the rapid dismemberment of you and anyone else in the general vicinity via supersonic pressure waves and fragments.

That said, a decent chunk of safety procedures followed today have their origins in stupid, avoidable accidents from yesteryear: http://nation.time.com/2011/03/09/monumental-air-force-fragmentary-stupidity/

(p.s. driving robots and blowing poo poo up rules)

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Three-Phase posted:

I think that's called "Injuries not compatible with life" like decapitation, being torn apart, completely crushed and so forth.

When I rode along with cops for a while, I learned of the term DRT.

Dead Right There

...as opposed to DOA

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

The worlds first noise and vibration free jigsaw.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

mds2 posted:

The worlds first noise and vibration free jigsaw.

Why do you think noise or vibration would wake up that badly passed out dude?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

That wiki of selfie deaths and injuries is quite the read. Lots of schadenfreude with a sprinkling of idiots getting other people killed.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

One of the biggest causes of idiots killing them selves on train tracks, either on foot or in a car, is the 2nd train they didn't see. The crossing starts to light up and ding, the gates come down. You see the training coming from your right and know you can beat it, so you gun it around the gate. What you didn't see was a train on the other track behind the 1st train moving faster. A large proportion of people killed by trains (that aren't suicide) are on multiple tracks. It's very easy to feel confident that you can get past the train you can see, and you become fixated on that one to the point of ignoring others. Also other than their horns, trains can be pretty quiet from the front. All the sound comes out the top/sides for the most part.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

One of the biggest causes of idiots killing them selves on train tracks, either on foot or in a car, is the 2nd train they didn't see. The crossing starts to light up and ding, the gates come down. You see the training coming from your right and know you can beat it, so you gun it around the gate. What you didn't see was a train on the other track behind the 1st train moving faster. A large proportion of people killed by trains (that aren't suicide) are on multiple tracks. It's very easy to feel confident that you can get past the train you can see, and you become fixated on that one to the point of ignoring others. Also other than their horns, trains can be pretty quiet from the front. All the sound comes out the top/sides for the most part.
~/Osha/clever_girl.gif

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:

ChickenHeart posted:

That said, a decent chunk of safety procedures followed today have their origins in stupid, avoidable accidents from yesteryear: http://nation.time.com/2011/03/09/monumental-air-force-fragmentary-stupidity/

I know a few dudes who got seriously injured and one guy who got killed from my unit after an incident on a Claymore range in Afghanistan much like this. The Company Commander, OIC and Range 2IC all got demoted and severe reprimands with one of them getting a commuted sentence in an army jail due to him having released prior to the court martial occuring.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:

Also where the hell is this from? If this is a movie I want to see it.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Baronjutter posted:

And nothing of value, other than possible usable organs, was lost.

If you have to gently caress up and get yourself killed, try and do it in a way where your organs can be harvested.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yeah, well, not sure about the US (though I have a pretty good guess) but up here past the wall our organ donor programs are all opt in. Anecdotally, this means smart, mature people are donors and morons prone to dangerous poo poo aren't. So the useful parts of most idiots who shoot themselves in the neck during a selfie are going to waste anyway.

Oh and families can override your decision in many cases, so even if you're a sensible, forethinking moron, your usable bits may still end up worm food.

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 9, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://i.imgur.com/0ZaFNp7.gifv

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

JoelJoel posted:

Yeah, well, not sure about the US (though I have a pretty good guess) but up here past the wall our organ donor programs are all opt in. Anecdotally, this means smart, mature people are donors and morons prone to dangerous poo poo aren't. So the useful parts of most idiots who shoot themselves in the neck during a selfie are going to waste anyway.

Oh and families can override your decision in many cases, so even if you're a sensible, forethinking moron, your usable bits may still end up worm food.
The US system is neither opt in nor opt out. Until about 2001 your family always had final say over what was done with your body regardless of what you said while alive. If you die without signing your organ donor card or otherwise making your wishes explicit, they ask your family what they want done with your body. Most but not all states now have "designated donor" laws that require Organ Procurement Organizations to harvest the organs of explicit donors even if the family objects. OPO's were strongly opposed to those laws and are believed to violate them occasionally.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

No helmet or hi-vis vest... he's going to be impossible to find on that grassy field with that green shirt he's wearing.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Gobbeldygook posted:

The US system is neither opt in nor opt out. Until about 2001 your family always had final say over what was done with your body regardless of what you said while alive. If you die without signing your organ donor card or otherwise making your wishes explicit, they ask your family what they want done with your body. Most but not all states now have "designated donor" laws that require Organ Procurement Organizations to harvest the organs of explicit donors even if the family objects. OPO's were strongly opposed to those laws and are believed to violate them occasionally.

So if you're a donor they can harvest regardless, or they harvest regardless.?

I know it gets sticky due to cultural or religious blah blah but it's pretty hosed that people have to die or have a much worse life because some other people insist on keeping their organs after they die.

Plus it's pretty :black101: that our species harvests the organs of its own members (for good)

Oh, right, osha.

I saw this guy in a big box parking lot a few weeks ago driving his boom lift. It was almost fully extended and he was controlling it from the bucket with no signal man and no barriers (cars and pedestrians be damned). He was wearing a harness but judging from the rest of the nonsense, I assume he wasn't clipped to anything. I didn't get anywhere near the thing until he hosed off but here's where he parked it.

(a few months ago there were two fatalities in the city from a similar situation: two guys in the bucket when it drove off a sidewalk and tipped over)

I saw the same boom a week or so later driving along the same stretch of sidewalk hauling garbage in the bucket. Smart.

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Dec 9, 2016

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Jesus loving Christ! That's loving NMS too! That belongs in a horror movie.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

eh I've seen headless chickens.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

i for one am glad those children died because they made a mistake

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

JoelJoel posted:

That wiki of selfie deaths and injuries is quite the read. Lots of schadenfreude with a sprinkling of idiots getting other people killed.

lots of them happening in india

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Jose posted:

lots of them happening in india

quote:

...source(s) on Wikipedia showed 19 people were killed since 2014 in India while taking selfies, accounting for 40% of all selfie-related deaths...

Is it more or less racist that I read that as Indiana?

the cool posts kid
Jul 24, 2007

and india has 18% of the worlds population, so i guess they should be happy with being twice as good as the rest of the world at something

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I guess Best at Selfie-Deaths is a marginally better title than Best at Street-Poops.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I guess Best at Selfie-Deaths is a marginally better title than Best at Street-Poops.

The Venn crossover photos would be perfect for this thread.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

that looks fun. jealous of this kid

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Proof that cows don't really need their brain to live their lives.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

JoelJoel posted:

This one seems a little harsh:

Wikipedia posted:

A group of six teens posed for a selfie in Beirut. In the background a car can be seen pulling up behind them. The car exploded in a terrorist attack, killing one of the teens.

Being murdered by terrorists can't be compared to shooting yourself in the head posing with a loaded gun.

Real content: Cruise ship crew Diogenes Carpio and Ben Buenaventura, both from the Philippines, died after a lifeboat safety drill accident aboard the Norwegian Breakaway on 20 July while the cruise ship was docked in Bermuda.

The lifeboat was left hanging from one wire after it broke free from the tethering, resulting in four crew members falling into the water.

The two surviving crewmen, 25 year old Romanian man and a 31 year old Indian man, were treated and discharged from the hospital.

Carpio died at the scene. Buenaventura was transfered from Bermuda to the intensive care unit of Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, Florida. He had fractures to both legs, hip, right arm, punctured lungs and traumatic brain injuries. He died on 30 August.

https://www.cruisebruise.com/Cruise/Laws/News/Norwegian_Breakaway_Crew_Lifeboat_Drill_Death.html

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Lady Demelza posted:

:agreed: I think there's a clear difference between "happened to die from an unrelated cause when taking a selfie" and "died as a direct result of taking a selfie".

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

JoelJoel posted:

So if you're a donor they can harvest regardless, or they harvest regardless.?

I know it gets sticky due to cultural or religious blah blah but it's pretty hosed that people have to die or have a much worse life because some other people insist on keeping their organs after they die.

Plus it's pretty :black101: that our species harvests the organs of its own members (for good)
In all 50 states (I just checked again; everyone got on board), if you sign your organ donor card or otherwise make clear and explicit your wish to donate your organs, the OPO will harvest your organs even if your family says objects. Before first person consent laws, when you died the OPO would call your family, inform them of whether or not you had registered as an organ donor, and what they wanted done. If they said yes, you were harvested regardless of registration status. If they said no, you were not harvested regardless of registration status.

OPO's are extremely conservative in the sense of fearing change. The organ donation system is built on a very fragile trust and they do not want to do anything to damage it. Switching to an opt-out system would probably reduce organ donation rates unless you paired it with a stick like "If you opt-out, if you ever need one then you have to get in line behind everyone who didn't" - which would probably work as it appeals to American's sense of fairness.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Lady Demelza posted:

Powered Descent posted:

:agreed: I think there's a clear difference between "happened to die from an unrelated cause when taking a selfie" and "died as a direct result of taking a selfie".

Obviously if someone dies in a suicide bombing and just happened to have a selfie stick with them it's sad and

quote:

A 36-year-old man, of Niagara, N.D., struck and killed a 54-year-old woman of Portland, N.D. while driving. She was riding a bicycle and he was distracted as he took a selfie, striking her from behind with his vehicle.

is a great example of how lovely humans can be, but the majority on that list are more in vein of

quote:

A 22-year-old man was trying to recreate a scene from his favorite movie Barking at the Stars by running in front of a train, beating it and being hailed a hero. As he ran in front of the train, he tried to take a selfie to document the scene. He was killed instantly when the express train hit him at full speed in the village of Lacarak near the northern Serbian town of Sremska Mitrovica.

which is kind of funny.

e: okay, yes, it's also tragic for all the other people involved. Guess I'm just a bad person for finding humour in people killing themselves in the dumbest ways possible.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

When the GIF first loaded I thought that was a chainsaw, so my thoughts went WTF - > that's not how physics works -> oh its a leafblower.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ika posted:

When the GIF first loaded I thought that was a chainsaw, so my thoughts went WTF - > that's not how physics works -> oh its a leafblower.

To be fair, with this thread a chainsaw is not necessarily an unlikely thing to see.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Ika posted:

same. Guess I'm not the only one who grew up using Stihl chainsaws.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ika posted:

I don't think he would go that fast from the momentum of a chainsaw chain but it is how physics works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZlW1a63KZs&t=82s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ralp posted:

I don't think he would go that fast from the momentum of a chainsaw chain but it is how physics works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZlW1a63KZs&t=82s

There was a good opportunity for some more OSHA content there with the spinning bicycle wheel and her hair :allears: