Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I hope IQ gets a Pipboy ripoff and a Fallout-esque uniform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Or gets a Nintendo powerglove.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Koramei posted:

They crossed that bar ages ago. I can't count the number of times I've died because of my bright white black ice helmet as Jager or Bandit. Or my vacation hat as Frost. You stick out like a sore thumb.

Also am I the only one that has trouble spotting the spetznaz operators sometimes? I find their camo blends in with concrete (i.e. half the maps) really well.

Bright cosmetics are fine to include - making yourself more visible and an easy target somewhat balances the experience needed to get them. Cosmetics that make you harder to see give you a straight-up advantage over vanilla players.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Is it worth it to do terrorist hunt matchmaking on higher difficulties for renown if you can't play regular multiplayer for whatever reason?

I actually like terrorist hunt but I usually just play Terrorist Hunt Classic on House on Normal difficulty.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I honestly don't understand how people have trouble looking in or outside windows at any time of day

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

Devilbro giveth and Devilbro taketh away

The Duggler posted:

I honestly don't understand how people have trouble looking in or outside windows at any time of day

Its straight up like looking into the sun or into a black hole void of all light on some maps. Since the most recent update it has started to bleed through walls and windows in some spots on Hereford and Yacht.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Dante18907 posted:

Its straight up like looking into the sun or into a black hole void of all light on some maps. Since the most recent update it has started to bleed through walls and windows in some spots on Hereford and Yacht.

Nah it's all right. It's hard to see through but making out the shape of people is still pretty easy if you ~focus~

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

The Duggler posted:

Also, this is what happens when one of the enemy operators is a squid:

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Notice how there isn't actually anybody in those screenshots for you to see?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

The Duggler posted:

Notice how there isn't actually anybody in those screenshots for you to see?

Yea cause I would die trying to hit F12 when there's someone there. Sorry I don't have an indentured servant to stand there as examples for me.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Ularg posted:

Yea cause I would die trying to hit F12 when there's someone there. Sorry I don't have an indentured servant to stand there as examples for me.

If your point is that you can't see anybody outside of a window a screenshot of somebody standing outside a window would probably be better evidence of that

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Inside plane cargo in setup time, doors aren't broken. Can barely see the opposite wall.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
The point is I can't see anything in these conditions. How can you defend a picture of me looking into a stairwell and not being able to see at all because of the light?

The first image is on house looking into the garage from the laundry room. The fourth picture is looking into a stairwell still inside the building. And on the fifth picture you can barely see my teammates outline, if he was closer to the door he'd be invisible.

This is such a weird thing to defend. This isn't me peeking out of the building and spawn killing people. This is me looking from one room to another, and something that doesn't happen when the maps take place at night. Ubisoft AGREES with this already. This isn't how eyes work, this isn't how balance works.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Maybe I just don't understand what important thing you aren't seeing in those screenshots. Everything is visible

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
No it's not!

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

Let's just agree to disagree

But you're still wrong

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The Duggler posted:

Maybe I just don't understand what important thing you aren't seeing in those screenshots. Everything is visible

Are you trolling? There is nothing visible in those areas.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Well, characters usually have distinct glow/highlight/reflection that makes them stand out from the enviroment. That said I still avoid looking out if I know someone is already there. Takes a split second longer for me to aquire target that's so saturated.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

What's up with the bakery bomb placement on Kafe? The one where you can burst a door down, plant 30 feet away from the bomb, and then have the entire team cover it from way outside. How do you guys play around that? I've seen it successfully pulled off every single time I've had to defend that point.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Draxion posted:

What's up with the bakery bomb placement on Kafe? The one where you can burst a door down, plant 30 feet away from the bomb, and then have the entire team cover it from way outside. How do you guys play around that? I've seen it successfully pulled off every single time I've had to defend that point.

There are a lot of lovely bomb locations like that. Favela especially. Still hoping that mid season will see favela objective locations get changed.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

I don't think I've ever seen it happen on favela, but the rest of that map is so janky I'd definitely believe you. I seem to only ever get hostage there.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I don't know how you're supposed to use any of the non-dlc operator shotguns and get any kills unless people are just straight up terrible. I've seen people use lasers and others tell me to never use lasers. I've seen people always hipfire and always ADS. I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing. I also envy anyone that can make a non-acog work. Saw a thermite with Holo sight and I just wouldn't be able to do anything with that. Not only is an acog required to look inside rooms, without the magnification enemies are just too loving tiny to see.

Also, didn't know this was even possible:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

British, French, and especially German, shotguns are fantastic to use. American and Russian not so much. Don't put laser on majority of things that aren't defender shotguns. Never ADS with shotguns, seldom ADS with secondaries, and ADS with non-shotgun primaries at all times you don't have someone taking literally a half of your screen. If you have no idea what to do, just approach and observe places where your teammates are dying. If you want to use holographic sights, play more aggressively so you're always close to enemies.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Why wouldn't I want to ADS with a pistol or machine pistol? I wouldn't hit poo poo otherwise, much less a headshot.

Also, Buck or Frost? If I had to just unlock 1.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ularg posted:

Why wouldn't I want to ADS with a pistol or machine pistol? I wouldn't hit poo poo otherwise, much less a headshot.

Also, Buck or Frost? If I had to just unlock 1.
Maybe I should've said to sometimes ADS with secondaries. Thing is that unless you are Smoke, Sledge, Caveira, or a shield attacker, you'll seldom be in a position where you at a meaningful range, and reloading your primary weapon is not the optimal choice. Pulling their handgun when there's more than enough time to reload the primary weapon is a very frequent mistake. If I had to guess, absolute majority of my secondary kills (as I don't really pick Smoke or Sledge) happen from a distance of a few yards at most, when it's generally more efficient to just hip fire.

Buck by far is more ~meta~ than Frost, but your mileage may wary. If you play for fun, the buy what seems more fun to you. If you play for efficiency, there are literally no cases when Buck is useless, and when Frost is the optimal choice.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I wonder how future operators could potentially have something like Caveria's ability that's on a cooldown rather than limited uses. Why Sledges hammer isn't this way right now is a mystery. It's not like you'll ever use all 25 hits of the thing in a single round anyway.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

British, French, and especially German, shotguns are fantastic to use. American and Russian not so much.

The Russian shotgun is the only one that feels "bad" to me just because I've never had any real luck with it, it's always felt too much like a pea-shooter though I haven't used it since it got buffed(when all the other semi-auto shotguns got nerfed).

Though looking again at the notes from that update, it looks like it was the shittiest of them before they all got nerfed.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
With the new changes to bullet damage for walls I'm still not seeing anywhere near the number of people using semi-auto shotguns as there used to be. Even with the hidden laser sight change.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

lohli posted:

The Russian shotgun is the only one that feels "bad" to me just because I've never had any real luck with it, it's always felt too much like a pea-shooter though I haven't used it since it got buffed(when all the other semi-auto shotguns got nerfed).

Though looking again at the notes from that update, it looks like it was the shittiest of them before they all got nerfed.

I can't say that any shotgun outright feels "bad" to me, but, especially since the latest balance changes, I strongly prefer anything to semi-automatic shotguns. Pump shotguns still feel satisfying, even though I don't go for shotguns in general, unless the objective calls for shredded walls somewhere. The only operator I'd pick with shotgun primary is Smoke, and almost never pick Smoke.

Paradigmata
Dec 23, 2015

Dissolved

Party Plane Jones posted:

Even with the hidden laser sight change.

Looks like you got tricked into exposing yourself.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I'm not so sure I like the weird, 'lower/higher certainty', more accurate, part of the mmr system Since it's based on wins/losses it's essentially just an ELO system, but imagine if chess rankings had a part where the more games you've played the less points you gain/lose per game? That doesn't make sense at all. I'm not sure I entirely understand it though.

For example, if I play the first 100 matches with my goofball friends who are even more terrible than me, the system thinks it has figured my skill out and reduce the uncertainty of my skill evaluation, leading to lower gains/decreases in mmr-points, right? Meaning, once I ditch those losers I'll have a harder time moving up the ranks, because the system thinks it has pinpointed my skill with a low degree of uncertainty (or can the system re-evaluate? Like, oh boy, I sure pegged that dude wrong, he is winning all his matches now! Or is that just each 'season' reset?). Thought experiment: I lose the first 100 matches and win the next 100 matches (massively improving my ability) as I understand this system, that will get ranked lower than winning 100 matches, then losing 100 matches (a massive degradation in your ability). Right?

In the end it seems like this means that if you want to move up the ranks, you shouldn't play with newbies or bad friends, because it will literally make it harder for you to move up the ranks at a later point (even if your actual, real, skill doesn't change). If that is the case, then the system massively emphasizes playing with good players, "rewarding" (I know rank is not a reward) that play style even more than these types of games usually, and already, do (teamwork OP!). Realistically, you'll contribute 20% to your wins/losses, while other players contribute 80%, over enough games those 20% will be the deciding factor, but that only really holds true if you're playing solo, and if you're getting less and less points, depending on how well you did initially, doesn't that sorta gently caress the system up?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Paradigmata posted:

Looks like you got tricked into exposing yourself.

Losing the actual laser beam and only having the dot show up helps.

Paradigmata
Dec 23, 2015

Dissolved

Losing the actual laser beam and only having the dot show up helps.

Its still the biggest noob trap in this game, besides with shotguns ofcourse

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I can't stand the acog. So many people I spectate are forced to zoom in on someone in the room, and it just looks so hard to track someone like that

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Even with the hidden laser sight change.

What was the hidden laser sight change?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Lemon-Lime posted:

What was the hidden laser sight change?

The beam doesn't exist anymore, the only indication that somebody is using the laser is the dot on the wall. Which you can miss fairly easy.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Also the incredibly bright red light when you look at them directly. And the dot is pretty easy to spot, you usually look in the places it might appear anyway.

I only bring them on 3 armor attackers.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I only got on the shield hand guns because you're hearing me from a mile away anyway.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I only got on the shield hand guns because you're hearing me from a mile away anyway.

Same. I've killed a few people with 1 shot to the head while lining up my red dot on their forward. Works about once every sixth bullet or so.. the rest fly randomly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

diapermeat posted:

Same. I've killed a few people with 1 shot to the head while lining up my red dot on their forward. Works about once every sixth bullet or so.. the rest fly randomly.
With moderate amount of practice, you can get a still-standing headshot by right-clicking and then left-click shortly afterwards, using laser sight as a pointer. It does require both parties to be still, however, hence it is not a working long-term tactic.

• Locked thread