Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
DO4M never gets "bad" but I honestly enjoyed every level a little less than the one before it. The game starts incredibly strong but after level 2 the initial thrill had fallen off and it was just "extremely, unrelentingly competent"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

edit: nevermind I am a dummy, have some Christmas lemmings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBvFDcn7hKk

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

precision posted:

DO4M never gets "bad" but I honestly enjoyed every level a little less than the one before it. The game starts incredibly strong but after level 2 the initial thrill had fallen off and it was just "extremely, unrelentingly competent"

This is how I felt but the turn got worse in the Hell levels because they kinda sorta look like an actual Doom level which is intriguing at first, and then you try to walk past any encounter in the game, the locked doors go up at every entrance and exit and you realize all theyve done is added a few 90 degree turns to their hallways and changed the lighting slightly. The game could have been about 6 hours shorter. The bosses are pretty fun though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Golden Goat posted:

Are there any good chrismas-y video game songs?

These are kinda video game christmas songs...
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3236777

An Ounce of Gold posted:

On the subject of Christmas and games, we usually play a round of Jackbox Party Pack 1&2 on Christmas. I see they have released part 3 on Steam. Has anyone here tried it? I'll probably pick it up. Also, does anything else exist like Jackbox? Having the family over gathered around a digital host with everyone using their own devices beats the old Pictionary on the chalk board days.

Well, at least I don't have to see my dad swirling his hips while trying to draw "Hula-hoop" anymore.

JBPP3 is pretty good, but I haven't had a chance to play it with a group of adults yet (not locally anyway, I played a couple rounds when Jackbox does their Twitch streams), just with my wife and kids, and it seems like the games are all more suited for the maximum amount of players. I guess that's true for most of the Jackbox games, but it seems moreso for these ones.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

In Training posted:

This is how I felt but the turn got worse in the Hell levels because they kinda sorta look like an actual Doom level which is intriguing at first, and then you try to walk past any encounter in the game, the locked doors go up at every entrance and exit and you realize all theyve done is added a few 90 degree turns to their hallways and changed the lighting slightly. The game could have been about 6 hours shorter. The bosses are pretty fun though.

Do4m basically just turns into serious sam at the end, where you walk from a corridor with a few monsters to a big square arena with platforming bits in it where you fight some waves, exit out the one door, and repeat. Which is fun if that's what you're looking for, but imo it's not where the game's real strength lies.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Do4m basically just turns into serious sam at the end, where you walk from a corridor with a few monsters to a big square arena with platforming bits in it where you fight some waves, exit out the one door, and repeat. Which is fun if that's what you're looking for, but imo it's not where the game's real strength lies.

Its like that from the very first level

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

precision posted:

It's been so long since I played a Pokemon game seriously, can't Eevee learn Flamethrower and Thunderbolt and Surf?

I just hatched my first one in Sun, I put it down for a while to get back to DK Tropical Freeze (jesus this game is hard) and No Man's Sky (Survival mode is so hard)

There's a really comprehensive wiki with all that information inside.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

In Training posted:

The first level is kinda like that but it opens up after that. The labs chapter where you're going around breaking the energy thingies is probably my favorite level because it's wide open and you can do them in any order. In general the game doesn't lock you into arenas when you're facing enemy waves, they lock you into segments of the level. They only start locking you into big single rooms for every encounter as you get close to the end.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

In Training posted:

Yeah, difference being that I dig it. Do4m's level design never reaches the labyrinthine genius of the original games and its fanmade .WADs, being a series of monster arenas punctuated by platforming sequences, but those arenas and jumping puzzles and the shooting and the upgrade system are all so well designed that I never really got tired of it.

The original games are effectively timeless though, especially with its community's perpetual output, but the new one was still real drat good, even though I might never play it again. :shrug:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Nothing will ever be like the original Doom and I was ready for Do4m to be over a few levels before it actually was, but it was still a pretty good time and I enjoyed it. Better than that piece of poo poo Doom 3 at the absolute worst.
I don't know if I'll ever play it again though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I definitely liked parts of it, especially in the early stages, which is why I wish it was shorter. Like conceptually the Arcade mode would be cool with slightly freer levels and a shorter run time, but the idea of playing a 10 hour game for score seems insane.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Golden Goat posted:

Nobody don't like Christmas.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Red Bones posted:

I like it when games/stories are sort of incidentally set during Christmas like PE is, it's a cool way of making whatever out-of-the-ordinary event that kicks off the narrative feel more disruptive.

Hotel Dusk is good for this, though post-holiday ennui is an explicit plot point in that it explains why so many people are willing to open up to a complete stranger and are thinking deeply about their life choices.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The final boss was pretty cool and I'm all done with Doom (2016). Can free up all those gigs to install Nitroplus Blasterz now

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Love Stole the Day posted:

You don't have PMs enabled so I'll put it out there that I'm down to gently caress around in C&C for an hour or two sometime.

None of the songs in battleborn are Mechanical Man so honestly they should stop playing that and play C&C instead.

Is the optimal thing to do still selling your base and building a billion army men?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
blender is shockingly easy to use for what essentially is a free 3dsmax

i havent touched a program like this in nearly ten years and im feeling right at home with it

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

boy are my arms tired posted:

i havent touched a program like this in nearly ten years and im feeling right at home with it

yeah you just plug it in and hold down the button

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Blender's biggest problem was always the UI, but if they've managed to actually un-screw themselves in that sense over the last couple of years I'll have to give it a shot. I mean, I managed to get used to GIMP over time, so Blender shouldn't be too bad for a guy who mainly wants to try making old-school style games, right?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

In Training posted:

The final boss was pretty cool and I'm all done with Doom (2016). Can free up all those gigs to install Nitroplus Blasterz now

install who in the what now

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Christmas games:

Mr. Podunkian's loving awesome

MERRY GEAR SOL!D: Secret Santa (download page)

and the sequel, which I haven't played

MERRY GEAR SOL!D 2: Ghosts of Christmas Past (download page)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

install who in the what now

It's on steam now for 25 bucks which is low enough to be tempting

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Dewgy posted:

Blender's biggest problem was always the UI, but if they've managed to actually un-screw themselves in that sense over the last couple of years I'll have to give it a shot. I mean, I managed to get used to GIMP over time, so Blender shouldn't be too bad for a guy who mainly wants to try making old-school style games, right?

well, again, im coming into it blank slate and all, but it really does feel pretty easy to use and the ui seems pretty intuitive. im digging it

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

hey remember EVO Search for Eden on SNES? It was actually a sequel to a pc98 game that has an english patch coming out sometime soon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ISbJ0k0l0I

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Help Im Alive posted:

yeah you just plug it in and hold down the button

This was corny as hell but I still laughed. :golfclap:

Is there a voxel program that's intuitive? I tried messing around with MagicaVoxel and one other one but they were frustrating as poo poo.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

lets hang out posted:

hey remember EVO Search for Eden on SNES? It was actually a sequel to a pc98 game that has an english patch coming out sometime soon

Yes. the patch has entered beta and is coming out in the next few weeks

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

lets hang out posted:

drat, this is cool as hell.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

*patiently waiting for Tekken 7*

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I want Tekken x Pokken.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tekken 7 is gonna be awesome. i hope we get a launch date soon

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

It's gotta be like, February right? It's been "Coming Soon" for over a year by now...

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

lets hang out posted:

Can't see the video 'cos at work but anything to do with EVO Search for Eden is instantly my loving jam

That game was so weird

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

raditts posted:

This was corny as hell but I still laughed. :golfclap:

Is there a voxel program that's intuitive? I tried messing around with MagicaVoxel and one other one but they were frustrating as poo poo.

i do not know, as i have not messed with voxels much, sorry

also i get why, but blender's tutorials being behind a paywall kinda eats. might sub for 3 months just to check it out, isn't too expensive

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

bloodychill posted:

Bell peppers are indeed capsicums like jalapenos, habaneros, ghost peppers, etc. All new world peppers come from the same few related plant species.

The more you know.

I never said they weren't. Just that they don't have capsaicin in them.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

lets hang out posted:

Holy poo poo, I've been waiting for this for a long time :aaaaa:

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

oddium posted:

spend christmas with fuuka

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

started playing the original Xcom today for the first time, and my first terror mission was like the fuckin Normandy scene from Saving Private Ryan. Four rooks got wrecked by floater reaction shots on the very first turn walking down the ship ramp.

owns

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Golden Goat posted:

There's some in Kirby's Epic Yarn. These are a few of my favorites:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3BgwwD68n8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwZrT9IRoi4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3PX53uaYcw

Speaking of Kirby, here's a weird one from Return to Dreamland:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fe2G84-Y5E

Old OCR mash-up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKMgleUxD9w

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

lets hang out posted:

It was posted a while back but I just want to say again that as an ecologist and also a gamer i am so loving pumped

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Real hurthling! posted:

I'm have to dust off my old Hwoarang leftkick rightkick skills so I can kick online butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Aviary Attorney is pretty ok.

I like this bird. I like this game.

I am on a mystery game kick so I got a bunch of old mystery games: The Colonel's Bequest, Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes, and JB Harold Murder Club. I heard good things about Discworld Noir so I might grab that and I am for sure going to grab The Last Express because it seems pretty cool.

What is everyone's favorite mystery games?

• Locked thread