Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Everything subject to change. This is what dataminers found on Thoth before he was released.

tl;dr - Passive worked slightly differently (also did %pen instead of flat), and his dash worked differently (seemed more similar to Janus' threshold).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Nike card art datamined:

edit-

coca bojangles posted:

I hope dataminers are wrong, that kit looks incredibly boring.

YOU JINXED IT!

cyclonic fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 30, 2016

coca bojangles
Nov 2, 2011

Superhuman hindsight

cyclonic posted:

YOU JINXED IT!

I bet they won't even balance her before SWC...

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

They better otherwise she's going to be insta-ban material.

I mean even if they ideally put her in a perfect balance spot, I don't see why any SWC team would let her through. She hasn't seen enough play time, and people won't know how to react to her.

I think it's a terrible decision no matter how you look at it. If the winner wins because they got Nike, it sort of tarnishes the entire game.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Get up to 160 free gems (40 gems a day) this "weekend" by getting three FWOTD this Thurs-Sun:

Holiday Gem Storm event

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Well well well, this looks to be one disturbingly erotic post
Am I the only one NOT terrified of Nike? I've been able to handle them with Tyr and Vamana just because they can interrupt her clear. Don't get me wrong she feels VERY strong, has a solid kit, and is a great teamfighter... but I don't feel like she's completely broken.

I can see them nerfing her 2 + ult shield though because it is the thing is monstrous. Hopefully at least that is done before Worlds..

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

I messed around with her a little in jungle practice. Her damage numbers aren't really that high, even with a greedy power/pen build. Her attack chain is a little weird so going with an auto-attack build (Frostbound, Qin's) isn't ideal.

Her kit is pretty similar to Bacchus: 1 is a channeled clear (Belch), 2 buffs other abilities (Chug), 3 is a leap with knockup (Belly Bounce), 4 is an AOE burst (Intoxicate). Bacchus has poor early clear while Nike has decent/good clear, but the tradeoff is Nike never reaches the damage potential Bacchus does (mostly because Bacchus has access to items like Soul Reaver).

The thing I'm terrified about Nike is her passive. In casual games it won't be much of a big deal, but I'm really interested in what pros on her team will do to build around her.

edit-
Is she broken? No. Is she OP? No (compared to say launch Bellona/Sol/Susano). IMO she's probably B+/A- tier in casual games for now, but if she gets SWC exposure and the casual playerbase starts to copy some kind of pro trend/strat, she could shift up to A+.

If I were to tweak her, I would reward a better payoff for landing 3 hits off her 1, and/or change how her 3 interacts with her 2, but I think HiRez is taking the approach of trying to make things different for the sake of being different rather than doing something for sound balance reasons.

cyclonic fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 7, 2016

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
smite is getting weird and toxic again

then i remember its because championship is around the corner

i literally played a 50 minute casual conquest with a level 10 ratatskor, still level 10 at 50 minutes yes, and an apollo who could never split push and only ulted dying people

i literally had to get a brawler's beatstick, an item ive never used to rip open 4 towers that just simply were not being taken at 40 minutes, including phoenixes. it was just a pain

nike isn't as broken as people tried to hype her for her shielding on her ult by the way, it's mostly played off by Plan of Action, and her cooldowns are very long for a specific plan of action bonus that it puts her situationally at odds at times. I haven't exactly put a pin on her exactly as far as her role goes, but she excels better with cooldown items, especially with BoV and Spirit Robes

Lastgirl fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 8, 2016

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Could be because of the Mayan batch of Odyssey quests - if you're doing it "in order" then people need FWOTD or wins.

It's going to get worse tomorrow into Sunday because gems will be on the line.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

cyclonic posted:

Could be because of the Mayan batch of Odyssey quests - if you're doing it "in order" then people need FWOTD or wins.

It's going to get worse tomorrow into Sunday because gems will be on the line.

that match i had was such a weird anomaly that the next one i took had 4 hunters after i called adc first so i just left the lobby and didnt play because it included a guy going "suck my balls" so I knew how it was gonna turn out right away. Casual Conquest :v:

might just play clash for a while

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Is there any point to doing odyssey quests if I already have the demonic pact anubis unlocked?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Free stuff from any chests etc you may unlock after Goobis. I have only kept vague estimates like "can I hit the next threshold with quests" however.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How much longer will this Odyssey thing last for? I've not played for a while and I barely did any of the quest things and only bought the Ash Tyr skin.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

The FAQ for the odyssey says it will run "through the 3.23 patch" which is what we just got, so... next patch? About another week and a half, give or take.

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I'm telling you, it's true. People grow from spores.
http://smite.gamepedia.com/Odyssey_2017

"The Odyssey journey will end once we have reached the 2017 SMITE World Championships in Atlanta on January 8th, 2017."

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Oceans was in my Clash game (he's enemy Thoth):

http://smite.guru/match/hr/300938454

I killed him twice :whatup:

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

Are there any videos I should watch to learn to play Nemesis? I think I have a decent grasp on her build concept but I'm just playing her kit totally by ear.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Assassins are my least played class and Nem probably is my least played in that group, but I can offer some tips:

Her ult is not true damage and is affected by protections. Some proof:

40 power (no pen) dealing 436 damage

40 power with 33% pen dealing 498 damage

(Of course the numbers seem small but this is on Ra bot which I assume doesn't have any items.)

The key thing to take from this is grab Titan's Bane if you're focusing tanks, or anyone who picks up a big physical defense item like Breastplate of Valor. Otherwise something like Jotunn's + Void Shield would work against most squishies after you've ulted them.

If it means anything, Weak3n seems to agree with me build-wise: https://www.smitejunkies.com/conquest/build/293

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I found this on Nemesis

Nemesis stuff: how some abilities work exactly
https://www.reddit.com/r/Smite/comments/1x7c9h/nemesis_stuff_how_some_abilities_work_exactly/

Pretty useful. In terms of her Ult (taken from that post):
"Does Nemesis take off exactly 30-50% of the enemy's current health? Obviously the answer is no. Enemy protections mitigate that damage. Hence building pen helps her deal more damage with this ability."

EDIT: Just realized that post in over 2 years old, so the numbers, etc. on her abilities are off a bit. I never play assassins so I didn't notice.
http://smite.gamepedia.com/Nemesis up to date stats

Knee fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 14, 2016

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

Pimp Drakula posted:

Are there any videos I should watch to learn to play Nemesis? I think I have a decent grasp on her build concept but I'm just playing her kit totally by ear.

Just to chime in since Nemesis is probably my most played Assassin, I tend to build her with a focus toward AS and Pen, picking up a defensive item is necessary, and gearing her with a mind toward getting onto people and mostly autoing them down. I recommend using her 2 primary for the slow, and saving her 1 for escaping or sticking to people. Learning the timing for her shield will be extremely helpful for surviving burst, so that eventually if you pick your moment, you become very hard to kill or peel. Do keep in mind that in a brawl, you can ult the tank to briefly get yourself some decent defensive stats to survive a more team oriented fight if you can't slice a squishy apart.

Pimp Drakula
Oct 12, 2013

Am I wasting my time getting Hastened Fatalis on Nemesis? I thought it was a no-brainer for staying with an enemy long enough to kill them with auto attacks but it sounds like most people rely on her slow and dash for that and get items to increase damage. Are crits even a consideration or would I be better off with more power/penetration?

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Not really. If it's letting you secure kills, build whatever you want. She lacks hard cc and her kit can get countered by multiple items (Sprint, Winged Blade). If Fatalis is helping you counter the counters, then keep using it.

Her attack chain progression is weird though so a full auto-attack or crit build isn't really ideal on her (you might as well pick up Mercury or Kali instead).

If I was building Nemesis though, I'd probably grab (in no particular order):
Power boots, Jotunn's, Titan's Bane, Runeforged, Void Shield, Urchin/Spirit Robe/Mantle of Discord, or some situational item

I think her strength isn't really building for burst - it's "tipping the scales" - stealing protections/power and reflecting burst. She actually has a really good kit. The only thing keeping her down is her bad clear in her slice & dice.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Are there any good streamers or megaguides to pick up how things go these days? I keep meaning to pick up SMITE again, but everything is completely hosed (I last played heavily around mid-beta) and it seems like pre-30 normal Conquest is still a total shitshow in terms of tiny babies.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Patch notes up. Just nerfs to Nike's ult mostly - health and slow scales when you level it now. I guess to prevent her being able to tower dive at level 5.

Orv posted:

Are there any good streamers or megaguides to pick up how things go these days? I keep meaning to pick up SMITE again, but everything is completely hosed (I last played heavily around mid-beta) and it seems like pre-30 normal Conquest is still a total shitshow in terms of tiny babies.

How much information are you looking for? Do you need a Conquest guide in general? Need to catch up what's currently in the meta? Need to learn some Smite maths and mechanics?

Second post of this thread has continuously updated meta information with some recommended videos and streamers near the bottom.

Otherwise the Season 2 thread is sort of a megaguide that goes through the numbers and nitty gritty of Smite; albeit slightly old and probably has some broken links at this point.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Weak3n has apparently decided to do videos about jungle gods with in depth guides, matchups, builds, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvyluCmZxbE

Orv
May 4, 2011

cyclonic posted:

How much information are you looking for? Do you need a Conquest guide in general? Need to catch up what's currently in the meta? Need to learn some Smite maths and mechanics?

Second post of this thread has continuously updated meta information with some recommended videos and streamers near the bottom.

Otherwise the Season 2 thread is sort of a megaguide that goes through the numbers and nitty gritty of Smite; albeit slightly old and probably has some broken links at this point.

Little of column A, little of column B. The last time I put serious effort into learning SMITE was, I think, the second to last big shakeup they did during beta, where they were still changing what kind of MOBA SMITE was every ten patches. As it stands, I've never played since they made it 1-1-1-2 instead of a 2-1-2 game, so I need to catch up on a little of everything. Also I'm in a weird position of having a mid level account so I should know more than what I do, but I'm also still stuck in the minor hell that is pre-30 normals. Those should both do nicely, thanks.

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

You can always create a new account, refer it with your old account, re/learn things from level 1-30, and by the time you hit 30 on your new account just go back to your old one with some bonuses from the referral and a new/better understanding of how things work at higher levels. If that all makes sense. Just login to both everyday but play on the new newbie account and the old account will gain gems and whatever else comes with a referral bonus.

It's like some zen poo poo, start over from the beginning. Or was that something I heard in Overwatch?

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Hey so I've recently found myself motivated to try to at least make a half-assed effort to try to play this game so if there's any newbie or newbie-ish goons who want to roll together with a premade and are also chill dudes hit me up in game, I am RatBot. I like this game but dealing with toxic pubbies gets draining after a while

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
what if your team had zhong kui and nike while you played nemesis, i assume unless you had really good coordination between the two, pen wouldn't be as much of a priority to build?

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

So this happened:

MotD: Assault, all healers, two teammates drop right at the start so it's 3v5. Two Chang'e and me as Sylv... we won with 52 - 17 kills. I had fun, Chang'e OP.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Fun fact, the executioner debuff stacks with Nemesis' protection debuffs.

Additively.

:getin:

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

FrostyPox posted:

Hey so I've recently found myself motivated to try to at least make a half-assed effort to try to play this game so if there's any newbie or newbie-ish goons who want to roll together with a premade and are also chill dudes hit me up in game, I am RatBot. I like this game but dealing with toxic pubbies gets draining after a while

Your best bet is to ask in clan chat or idle in the Goon Discord server.

I'd offer to group up, but matchmaking is pretty bad with new players: either you're put up against a group that's too difficult, or the veteran/smurf player is stomping the enemy team. Getting to level 30 makes it a little better though.

I still recommend getting some solo games under your belt either way. We had a goon who refused to do this and we basically carried him to level 30. We warned him what a bad idea it would be, but he refused to play except with goons; anytime he solo queued he was getting squashed because his elo was super inflated but blamed it on pubbies being bad. No dude sorry, it's because you didn't learn the game on your own and didn't develop things like basic player positioning or map awareness.

Lastgirl posted:

what if your team had zhong kui and nike while you played nemesis, i assume unless you had really good coordination between the two, pen wouldn't be as much of a priority to build?

I don't quite understand the question. Neither Zhong nor Nike's kits offer any kind of team aura penetration, you should probably still get pen on Nemesis. Are you assuming Nike/Zhong are building bruiser aura/pen items (Void Shield/Stone, Exec Axe)?

TBH with Zhong/Nike on my team I wouldn't pick up Nemesis because it makes Sprint/Winged Blade way too good of a counter-item pick. Also Zhong/Nike are both bruisers and Nem doesn't quite have heavy enough burst to make up for it. I would pick someone like Hun Batz instead, but that obviously depends on the comp for the rest of your team.

Synastren posted:

Fun fact, the executioner debuff stacks with Nemesis' protection debuffs.

Additively.

:getin:

Exec Axe is good on Nem but you have to be able to get the stacks to fully benefit from it (a little hard to do since she has no hard cc). Definitely a good pick-up if you plan to go with a more auto-attack oriented build (Qin's, Frostbound Hammer) since it gives attack speed.

On another note, is anyone hoping or speculating anything for Season 4? I'm still waiting on a heavy DOT mage, or an area control mage/guardian. I was expecting Ah Puch to be a heavy DOT mage and was super disappointed that he was just another burst mage.

Also I hope they change how %pen vs. flat pen works on items. I think %pen should be on DOTs while flat pen should be on burst (ie-Obsidian Shard should get like 30 pen while Spear of Magus gets %pen back).

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

Saturnalia has begun:

"Beginning Tuesday, December 20th until Monday, December 26th, join in the 7 Days of Saturnalia once again! Indulge in free Gems, Pantheon Chest Sales, and double Experience/Worshipers all week long. Each day, there will be a new Pantheon specific Quest players can participate in that will yield 25 Gems upon completion. That means you can earn up to 175 Gems during Saturnalia! Each Pantheon Quest and Pantheon Chest will be available for 2 days."

https://www.smitegame.com/7-days-of-saturnalia-2016/

After reading the fine print it says "ends Wednesday, December 28th at 8:00 am EST." I guess that's part of the "each quest/chest available for two days" thing.

Knee fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 21, 2016

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

First quest is Mayan Pantheon - play 3 games of Siege.

Luckily the bad players were on the enemy team for my 3 games. People seem to like chasing and getting lost in the jungle forever.

Shameless plug - nothing spectacular happens in this game but I do manage to hit a lot of my Fafnir hammers (I hit 6 out of 6 in the laning phase). Pushed the enemy team into their tower and got two early kills. :smug:

Fafnir actually shuts down Nike hard during laning. Hammer stops her 1 and the disarm stops her cleave.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

cyclonic posted:

People seem to like chasing and getting lost in the jungle forever.

this has been happening way too much lately, i suspect smite gets like this near the WC as people come back or kids on break

I was asking about Zhong Kui and Nike for Nemesis not for Pen but because Zhong Kui and Nike have protection stripping, so I was wondering about it stacking with Nemesis' ult

cool vid, its good to consider picks that will interrupt nike in solo, like Osiris maybe? I heard he got some buffing but he's like the least played god of all time lmbo

Lastgirl fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 21, 2016

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Lastgirl posted:

this has been happening way too much lately, i suspect smite gets like this near the WC as people come back or kids on break

I was asking about Zhong Kui and Nike for Nemesis not for Pen but because Zhong Kui and Nike have protection stripping, so I was wondering about it stacking with Nemesis' ult

cool vid, its good to consider picks that will interrupt nike in solo, like Osiris maybe? I heard he got some buffing but he's like the least played god of all time lmbo

ZK doesn't have protection shred in his kit. Magus is a popular pick because he has dots and the item shreds, but he does not have it himself.

Nike only shreds protections on someone she hits with both hits of her slam, so that's not something you should probably take for granted either. And at max rank, it only strips 20 physical protections, so it's still less powerful than Guan's spear spin (10 protections stolen per stack, up to 3 stacks on a target with easier confirmation).

Osiris wouldn't easily interrupt Nike. For interrupts, you'd be looking for Tyr or Hades or Herc or Ama or Ymir. Ama should theoretically be an incredible counterpick to Nike given that she has OK clear, plus an interrupt, and is also one of the few clearly late game warriors.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Lastgirl posted:

I had to double-check Smite wikis and Word of Thoth. Protection stripping/Pen works in this order:

quote:

1: % Armour Reduction
2: Flat Armour Reduction
3: % Penetration
4: Flat Penetration.

I'm not sure and I'd have to test to confirm but I believe Nem ult gets priority (along-side Exec Axe if you have it, additive as Synastren stated), then any flat armor reduction (Void Shield), then %pen (Titan's Bane), then flat pen (Jotunn's).

Looking back at Exec Axe, it's pretty OP. Just don't pick it up with Titan's Bane because it makes Titan's Bane worse. Actually, there's a few other items that make Titan's Bane worse (Void Shield, Stone Cutting Sword).

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

cyclonic posted:

I had to double-check Smite wikis and Word of Thoth. Protection stripping/Pen works in this order:

I'm not sure and I'd have to test to confirm but I believe Nem ult gets priority (along-side Exec Axe if you have it, additive as Synastren stated), then any flat armor reduction (Void Shield), then %pen (Titan's Bane), then flat pen (Jotunn's).

Looking back at Exec Axe, it's pretty OP. Just don't pick it up with Titan's Bane because it makes Titan's Bane worse. Actually, there's a few other items that make Titan's Bane worse (Void Shield, Stone Cutting Sword).

Yeah, Executioner and Nem ult are the only % physical reduction in the game, so they stack additively. You have the order right for how things are applied, too!

In other words, if you're playing Nem as an ult bot, void shield won't weaken her ult, and titan's kinda sucks on her (it's fine on towers but really what are you doing burning towers).

For magic, it would be applied something like

Demonic -> Magus -> Obshard -> any flat pen.

I can't think of any other % reduction for magical except for demonic grip (and nemesis ult, of course). I think every other magic protection shred is flat (Isis silence, breaking Sylvanus plants, Anubis passive, for example).

Note: This makes Freya/Nem absolutely terrifying, btw, especially if Freya goes demonic + spear and nem goes executioner.

Essentially it seems to work like this because
1) Protections are calculated before the damage calculations, so shreds have to be figured out first to plug in protections to the damage formula; and,
2) If percentage based items were calculated first, the combination of flat + percentage items would be grossly in favor of penetration rather than somewhat balanced between prots and pen.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Synastren posted:

I can't think of any other % reduction for magical except for demonic grip (and nemesis ult, of course). I think every other magic protection shred is flat (Isis silence, breaking Sylvanus plants, Anubis passive, for example).

%reduction for magical would be tough to balance because of how low base/scaling magical protections works. I believe the original datamined Thoth passive had %reduction which was changed to the flat pen stacks it has now. I can see why they didn't want Thoth's 1 to be considered a basic attack because Demonic Grip would have been too good on him.

HiRez really walks a fine line balancing the ADC mages. Took them long enough on Sol. And good thing they specifically didn't allow Fafnir to build mage ADC items - the play-testing on that must've been hilarious.

And then there's Ao Kuang :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Death's Toll OP

• Locked thread