Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So how long do you think we have to wait before we get the pre-order dlc? I want my inf stamina jacket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Yodzilla posted:

Prompto finally took a good photo!

And climbing the volcano at dawn was a good idea. Shame Noctis is such a turd.

you know you can turn off the HUD for screengrabs? I didn't try it until 3/4 of the way through the game and boy do I wish I'd done it earlier.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Can anyone give me pointers for Totomostro? I want to get the best fishing reel but I'm not sure if I should buy the $$$ horns prior to starting out or not.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Captain Fargle posted:

So it normal that even after putting the disc into my PS4 and getting the automatic install, downloading the ten goddamn gig day one patch and then booting the game up I'm still greeted with a FOUR loving HOUR INSTALL before I can even select New Game?

Seriously. What the poo poo.

FOUR loving HOURS.

What in the goddamn poo poo is going on? How the hell does an install take FOUR HOURS?!

That's, uh, not normal, no. Mine took like 20 minutes and I was on a disk copy, not PS4 Pro, haven't installed an SSD or anything, and Australian internet, so I can't think of any factor that should have made it appreciably faster. :shrug:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

How bout the decals

Anything ya l

:stonk:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

MMD3 posted:

you know you can turn off the HUD for screengrabs? I didn't try it until 3/4 of the way through the game and boy do I wish I'd done it earlier.

Argh I forgot about that. Shame I can't turn off Noctis.

Also holy lol Altissia is so bad and boring.

e: what the gently caress is up with Camilla's voice acting? Besides how stiff and wooden she is the audio quality sounds different than everything else I've heard in the game

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 9, 2016

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Aight, despite my fit earlier I finished the game. I still don't think it's a great game, but it's certainly better than 13 and 13-2.

My opinion on the combat system isn't as negative anymore but I do feel like there's a whole bunch of enemy types that are completely unfun and sort of drag the game down if you don't know to avoid them. Iron giants are really fun, which made me regret avoiding traveling at night for most of the game.

I still think it's basically a slightly more complicated kingdom hearts, though.

That part of the ending where it's basically super sonic vs. shadow the hedgehog was lame and completely broke the mood.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Altissa reeks of "This was supposed to be our second big hub but we didn't really have enough time to finish it" which is why it's overly complex, a pain in the rear end to travel around and yet barely populated.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I learned an important lesson from the TItan fight which I was able to apply to the Aranea fight. If you're falling 200 feet out of the air pointwarp before you hit the ground.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Yodzilla posted:

Fantasy Venice owns.

Sorry guys, I'll reclaim my kingdom and get married after I spend all my time fishing and betting on monster death matches.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I don't know how deep I'll get into the post-game. I platinum'd FF13 but I can't say I'll do the same here since it involves fishing and photography, etc.

These superbosses I hear about, though... I got my eye on them.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So how long do you think we have to wait before we get the pre-order dlc? I want my inf stamina jacket

I got mine as an insert code with my Deluxe Edition, I think, not pre-order? No idea. Maybe? The infinite stamina is actually without the jacket :goonsay:

DoubleCakes posted:

I don't know how deep I'll get into the post-game. I platinum'd FF13 but I can't say I'll do the same here since it involves fishing and photography, etc.

Fishing is loving dope in this game and if you disagree you're wrong, wrangling with the Liege of the Lake for like five goddamn minutes solid was fun times

Gladio's poo poo is the worst, but I'm level 9 in everything except Photos which are 10. Level 10 Chocobo felt pointless and wasn't even a trophy. :/

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

I got mine as an insert code with my Deluxe Edition, I think, not pre-order? No idea. Maybe? The infinite stamina is actually without the jacket :goonsay:

Yeah it's in the deluxe steelbook physical edition, but I don't buy physical if I can stand it.

I'd buy the game only to take the dlc out and turn around and return the game.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Am I somehow using it wrong or is Gladio's Cyclone skill just awful? Does crap damage and doesn't have a follow up attack for Noctis.

EDIT: When fishing are there any clues to what fish are in each location besides the signs that are there sometimes?

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

Trick Question posted:

That part of the ending where it's basically super sonic vs. shadow the hedgehog was lame and completely broke the mood.

Actually, it was good.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

RatHat posted:

Am I somehow using it wrong or is Gladio's Cyclone skill just awful? Does crap damage and doesn't have a follow up attack for Noctis.

EDIT: When fishing are there any clues to what fish are in each location besides the signs that are there sometimes?

You are using it wrong. After the shockwave Gladio gives Noctis a point warp spot for a finishing move.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Dark Weasel posted:

Actually, it was good.

I don't see how it's any different for FFVII ending in a fight against Shirtless Sephiroth you can't lose.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

DoubleCakes posted:

Photography is done automatically?

Thats actually the only one of the 4 i got to 10 just by playing and I got it chapter 9 or 10 (save your group pictures, they are usually cool), cooking is at 8, fishing at 4 for me ( i wanted good gear before fishing) exploration at 8 now. (also weirdly in this ff megalixers are loving candy found in every hunt. Mega potions? yeah good loving luck.)

A Kings tale is on ebay for like 10-30 bucks, but i think i'll wait till the release it as dlc.

they fragmented the story so much.

Also someone compared this to 13-2.

i'd give 13-2 like the saints row of FF games.
And no one is loving with my purple mage chocobo, so while 15 is cool, and great 13-2 has better chocobos, they fight poo poo :colbert:

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Dec 9, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

Altissa reeks of "This was supposed to be our second big hub but we didn't really have enough time to finish it" which is why it's overly complex, a pain in the rear end to travel around and yet barely populated.

When I got to the bar and saw there were hunts I was like 'oh cool I wonder where they're going to send m- ... oh it's just the streets but at night' :effort:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

guts and bolts posted:

Fishing is loving dope in this game and if you disagree you're wrong, wrangling with the Liege of the Lake for like five goddamn minutes solid was fun times

Gladio's poo poo is the worst, but I'm level 9 in everything except Photos which are 10. Level 10 Chocobo felt pointless and wasn't even a trophy. :/

:cool::respek::cool:

My dude. I think I first realized that my real goal is to catch all the fish when I pulled a bigass one in and Noctis's friends crowded around him to see.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Anywhere to get diamond bracelets besides the arena or pinball?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

ROFL Octopus posted:

:cool::respek::cool:

My dude. I think I first realized that my real goal is to catch all the fish when I pulled a bigass one in and Noctis's friends crowded around him to see.

Yeah fishing may end up being my favorite overworld thing. Sadly prompto is terrible at documenting my trophy catches. Just once would I like a shot of me holding the fish in a fishing pose with the bros pointing at it like "check out this huge catch"

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 9, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Turns out you can sit down next to the Kenny crow state by one of the restaurants and Prompto will take a picture.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
What even is the armiger chain and how do I use it? It just showed up in ascension with no fanfare

E: nvm got it now

Nina fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Dec 9, 2016

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Haha nice, the best reel that you get from Totomostro is named "Llymlaen" after the Sea Goddess of the same name from FFXIV. That's a nice callback.

DalaranJ posted:

I learned an important lesson from the TItan fight which I was able to apply to the Aranea fight. If you're falling 200 feet out of the air pointwarp before you hit the ground.

That's an extremely helpful tip to know, thanks.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I like that he party has different reactions to the final picture you take with you.

If you pick one of Aranea Prompto says he completely feels you. If you pick one of Iris Then Gladio says he'll look the other way, just this once.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Chapter 13's terribleness was vastly overstated, at least compared to other JRPGs. It is certainly a bad chapter but not like "jfc uninstalling" bad.

Anyway I had a question going into chapter 14: was I supposed to recognize the names that Ardyn drops? He dropped his full name which I sorta recognized but everything was moving p fast. I didn't recognize the other.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Rascyc posted:

Anyway I had a question going into chapter 14: was I supposed to recognize the names that Ardyn drops? He dropped his full name which I sorta recognized but everything was moving p fast. I didn't recognize the other.

Not particularly, it's Lucis Caelum, which is a title, which your father also had. It means something along the lines that you are chosen by the gods to be a protector or something or other.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Rascyc posted:

Chapter 13's terribleness was vastly overstated, at least compared to other JRPGs. It is certainly a bad chapter but not like "jfc uninstalling" bad.

My take on Bahamut's explanation: Ardyn Lucis Caelum was deemed unworthy to ascend by the gods, so that's how he ends up as the Accursed.

The other name you're thinking is probably Izunia, who took the throne instead, but there wasn't a thorough explanation on who he was, just heavy implication that Noctis is a descendant.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

air- posted:

My take on Bahamut's explanation: Ardyn Lucis Caelum was deemed unworthy to ascend by the gods, so that's how he ends up as the Accursed.

The other name you're thinking is probably Izunia, who took the throne instead, but there wasn't a thorough explanation on who he was, just heavy implication that Noctis is a descendant.

The short of it is this

Ardyn was the former man destined to be king and the servant of the Gods, became corrupted due to basically being a Jesus analog and taking upon the sins of demons, and had the Gods turn against him. Said person who pointed out he'd become corrupt then became Lucius Caelum, the current line of Kings that Noctis is descendant from.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Maybe it's wow syndrome, but does anyone else complete all the quests in a zone before moving on with the main quest?

Also I'm lvl35 in chapter 3, things are stupid easy.

Where do I get a courel whisker so I can upgrade my engine blade?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Onmi posted:

I like that he party has different reactions to the final picture you take with you.

If you pick one of Aranea Prompto says he completely feels you. If you pick one of Iris Then Gladio says he'll look the other way, just this once.

I can't believe they missed the opportunity to give Gladio a special response if you take the picture of the cup noodles.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Maybe it's wow syndrome, but does anyone else complete all the quests in a zone before moving on with the main quest?

That's what I did, I think I did almost all sidequests and a couple of hunts before I finally moved on past chapter 3 and ended up being like level 65, which trivialized a lot of the rest of the game. Didn't really make it any worse tho.

You can get a Coeurl whisker from any Coeurl (duh). The easiest one to get to is the one that spawns in front of the first dungeon you go into (the one with Cor). It only spawns in the wee morning hours tho so go there right after resting. Also they're massive assholes and will probably kick your rear end a lot so take a lot of curatives and be prepared to use them. Save before you engage it in case it doesn't drop the whisker.

Good luck and godspeed grinding the follow up upgrade material after that!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Cid wanted me to give him materials to upgrade things. I collected the materials and went back, there was a popup saying 'do more quests and hunts'. I spent about 3 hours doing more hunts. I went back. Now he doesn't say anything new and I don't get the popup any more. How do I get cid to make me better lovely weapons that I never use?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sleep a couple of times

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah I've been on chapter 3 for maybe 40 hours or so and I'm still in no rush to continue the plot. This is a game about a road trip among bros dammit. :mad:

Unsurprisingly, Coeurl Whiskers come from Coeurls, but getting it is way easier said than done because Coeurls are goddamn ruthless hellspawns that will tear your rear end apart. The "guaranteed" method would to have Ignis cook a mother and child ricebowl and then take on the 5 Coeurl hunt in the Taelpar Rest Area. I beat it on my first try in my early-mid 30s but it required obscene amounts of phoenix downs, elixirs, and luck.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Lots of people stop at Chapter 3 I'd recommend 6-7ish essentially go up to the boat, that way you get summons for your random sidequests which are funtimes.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Do you get access to more weapon slots or a quick equip menu of sorts? I got two king weapons and would like to not have to break the flow of the combat too much when I want to use one.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Afraid not, you'll have to switch weapon slots via the menu.

ROFL Octopus posted:

Yeah I've been on chapter 3 for maybe 40 hours or so and I'm still in no rush to continue the plot. This is a game about a road trip among bros dammit. :mad:

Unsurprisingly, Coeurl Whiskers come from Coeurls, but getting it is way easier said than done because Coeurls are goddamn ruthless hellspawns that will tear your rear end apart. The "guaranteed" method would to have Ignis cook a mother and child ricebowl and then take on the 5 Coeurl hunt in the Taelpar Rest Area. I beat it on my first try in my early-mid 30s but it required obscene amounts of phoenix downs, elixirs, and luck.

Honestly, on a replay I'm just gonna rush through til after I get Ramuh and do the hunt that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
So what control scheme everyone is using? I recently adopted Control Type C because it essentially works like Dark Souls with defending and attacking set to shoulder buttons so you can rotate the camera freely while in combat.

I never use lock on for anything but warp attacks so it's really useful.

• Locked thread