Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Marijuana Mall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Gimbal lock posted:

Arijuana Mall

day 1 tech

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

You'd think by now I'd find something positive about Towers to say. Nope, gently caress this map is still terrible.

Soon as I say that I spawn into a 3 on 4 cause I opened my mouth

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 3, 2016

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Takoluka posted:

They're all adorable and good. I hope Spla2n takes some notes from Overwatch and combines the best of both games into one amazing product. I'd probably exclusively play it and nothing else for the life of the Switch.

But Overwatch is a train wreck of bad design decisions and piss poor hero balance.

The Splatoon guys know what they're doing and they should be confident in what they've done.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

LethalGeek posted:

You'd think by now I'd find something positive about Towers to say. Nope, gently caress this map is still terrible.

Why do so many people hate on the Towers? I think it's a great map!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I like it too.

There's no one map I dislike for every game mode.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Moray Towers is fun, but it can be frustrating in Turf War when you have a team that wont push.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I plain hate it. I hate navigating it, I hate every mode on it, I hate how 1 shot weapon friendly it is, how 3rd person games in general are bad about looking up.

Only reason I kept playing at all at the time was warehouse was also going and that one I still love.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

moray towers has like 3-6 routes through the neutral zone and ample cover
it was mostly fine before and post change its a great map that validates actually checking and defending your own base

camp triggerfish is a trashpile with one lane with no cover
its the long and thin version of the design problem that plagues walleye warehouse

zolthorg fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 4, 2016

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Night Blade posted:

But Overwatch is a train wreck of bad design decisions and piss poor hero balance.

The Splatoon guys know what they're doing and they should be confident in what they've done.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
do people still play splatoon

i booted up the game like six months ago and i kept getting matched with 7 other japanese players who all played sniper and killed me from spawn

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

zolthorg posted:

camp triggerfish is a trashpile with one lane with no cover

It's a map that I think might have been primarily designed for splatzones and tower control. Turf war would be 200% less lovely on the map if they dropped the doors at the very start instead of forcing one-way traffic for most of the match.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I've always been matched up with Japanese players more often than not since launch.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

If you're S rank you're the lone American dealing with a pile of lovely lag vs Japanese players. The fact that I can even maintain that rank gives me some pride

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

LethalGeek posted:

If you're S rank you're the lone American dealing with a pile of lovely lag vs Japanese players. The fact that I can even maintain that rank gives me some pride

After 18 months or whatever the game is literally only still difficult because you always trade with carbon rollers dynamo rollers elitres and blasters due to poor netcode and poooooor lag

I'm playing Titanfall 2 now anyways, at least it has the same design sensibilities of giving everyone the ability to navigate the terrain in roughly the same ways in an interesting and fast manner

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
The last time I can remember being in a ranked lobby that wasn't majority apparently-Japanese was during NoJ Splatfests.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Any news on the switch port yet

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Smiles posted:

It's supposedly a pack in title. We'll know more on January 12.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Smiles posted:

I'm buying it then playing it a lot.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It's supposedly a pack in title. We'll know more on January 12.

there's no way a high skill, niche audience shooty guns title that would sell for $60 is a pack in

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Suspicious Dish posted:

there's no way a high skill, niche audience shooty guns title that would sell for $60 is a pack in

The rumor is that it would be a separate SKU that also includes more onboard memory.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Phimosissy posted:

I'm buying it then playing it a lot.

I'm buying it for my little brothers. I'd do it for myself but buying an entire system to play a single game by myself is a level of goon I do not wish to enter.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

WarpedNaba posted:

I'm buying it for my little brothers. I'd do it for myself but buying an entire system to play a single game by myself is a level of goon I do not wish to enter.

Stop lying to yourself

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

I think you're wrong.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

So on a Switch port, how do you launch an Inkstrike?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Takoluka posted:

So on a Switch port, how do you launch an Inkstrike?

Currently unknown, prevailing theory is that you aim it wiimote style.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

probably by aiming at a place and aiming a tracer round. its the only super that isnt line-of-sight or echo in the current game, makes sense to make it manually aimed and faster or something

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Do some Squid origami.

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/806787807154835457

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Clearly it's Caligarmi :colbert:.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

zolthorg posted:

probably by aiming at a place and aiming a tracer round. its the only super that isnt line-of-sight or echo in the current game, makes sense to make it manually aimed and faster or something

Wait, so the idea is that the Switch version will have a separate gameplay style for things that would require the touch screen, such as specials and jumping to teammates? Will they, in that regard, keep the playing field level by closing off multiplayer between consoles?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Takoluka posted:

Wait, so the idea is that the Switch version will have a separate gameplay style for things that would require the touch screen, such as specials and jumping to teammates? Will they, in that regard, keep the playing field level by closing off multiplayer between consoles?

I'd really rather they didn't. Having to support the old version means they're stuck with the same fundamental game code and can't add new stuff to it. I mean actual ground-up new content, not "we fudged the engine as far as it would permit to make this mode happen" stuff.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Takoluka posted:

wait why would there be crossplay between the wii u and the switch

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

zolthorg posted:

wait why would there be crossplay between the wii u and the switch

Because a port of Splatoon 1 completely stripped of half its fundamental elements and a fraction of its player base would be beyond stupid, even for Nintendo.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I do not think the Switch and Wii U versions will work together, at all.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I think that's probably because it will be a whole new game!

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Takoluka posted:

I think that's probably because it will be a whole new game!

It will.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

If it's a new game, I hope it has another campaign since the first one is so drat good.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

SeANMcBAY posted:

If it's a new game, I hope it has another campaign since the first one is so drat good.

I want playable Octolings and how many people thought agents 1 & 2 were dead?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I thought agent 1 and 2 was Callie and Marie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

They are Callie and Marie. I believe Callie almost gives it away at one point during the campaign.

• Locked thread