Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Pryor on Fire posted:

Everyone is too scared now to have children, we will have noone to watch awful pixar poo poo in 2 years, short DIS thesis, genius

Otoh idiot Star Wars fanchildren will keep them afloat, regardless of how many movies they pump out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerstorung
Jun 27, 2008
I wonder if Twitter stock is going to spike even more when financial firms start buying fiber circuits and paying for 1ms faster access to Trump's tweets.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

What's up with amd? Is nvda expected to go up now that they have permission to test self driving cars?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

AMD got the rare double upgrade and a literal "my bad we were 100% ignoring this company" admission from BAML research

quote:

We largely missed the surge in AMD stock this year as we were too concerned about its historically weak execution, high debt level, and competitive risks vs. giants INTC and NVDA," he wrote. "However, our proprietary PC gaming and AI/Deep learning industry analysis suggest AMD's growth markets are still in early stages, with AMD beginning to steadily reclaim market share

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 9, 2016

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

You know, I'm pretty content with my current holdings in F, DIS, NVDA... and not-so-content in CSIQ. Wish I could turn that into AMD or VUZI, but I'm down 40% and feel like maybe I can still recover more if I hold?

Plan on selling DIS on a high after the movie drops, or hold it if it bombs. The other two I'm holding for the foreseeable future.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

edit: wrong thread sorry

Trash Trick fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 9, 2016

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

CloFan posted:

Plan on selling DIS on a high after the movie drops, or hold it if it bombs. The other two I'm holding for the foreseeable future.

Look, I'm incredibly bored at the moment, as the penguins are stomping the heads of the panthers.

Let's all talk DIS for a minute or two.

Currently at 103.38.

Things that are factored into that price.

*4 years scheduled of some of the hugest grossing movies of the past what, three years?
    *IP out the loving wazoo
    *Licensing
    *Parks, which are being expanded
    *Network television
    *And the one bad egg ESPN

What's the valuation when, because they are taking steps to fix it, ESPN becomes a stand alone service and the subscriber base returns? How long before you see that happening? You have Iger till 2018, in that time he can groom a replacement. If not, Disney could ask him to postpone again and the man with be 67 when that happens. Not to mention a 1.51% yield and over ten years of steady payout.

The only downside that I can see with them is a total market and/or network television meltdown. With a beta of 1.22 it'll move 22%, theoretically, more then whichever direction the market moves. 22% more or 22% less.

My opinion, all based on very publicly available facts, is that the Mouse is a safe haven for steady safe returns for years. It's not a stock you're going to become a millionaire overnight holding, but it really should be a piece of a diverse portfolio.

Your thoughts?

VendaGoat fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 9, 2016

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

VendaGoat posted:

Let's all talk DIS for a minute or two.

What's the valuation when, because they are taking steps to fix it, ESPN becomes a stand alone service and the subscriber base returns? How long before you see that happening?

Never? They're losing 600,000 subs a month in a business that is shrinking and spending $7.3bn in rights fees next year alone. On top of that you have the trend towards unbundling, the new DirecTV offering being the latest, which will make them less able to capture fees from people who literally never watch it. What's the case for subs rebounding?

Edit: Unless you were referring to a spin out?

R.A. Dickey fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 9, 2016

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

R.A. Dickey posted:

What's the case for subs rebounding?

Anything from bundling thru cable packages to single streaming subscription services that can be seen through an online viewer.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160809006274/en/Walt-Disney-Company-Acquires-Minority-Stake-BAMTech
Bamtech minor stake acquired with option to buy majority holding.

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

VendaGoat posted:

Anything from bundling thru cable packages to single streaming subscription services that can be seen through an online viewer.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160809006274/en/Walt-Disney-Company-Acquires-Minority-Stake-BAMTech
Bamtech minor stake acquired with option to buy majority holding.

This is me speculating but I would think the number of people paying for ESPN right now who if they didn't have to wouldn't (and soon won't) is orders of magnitude higher than people who will seek out and buy it via a hypothetical streaming service. Are we even sure their rights packages are valuable? NFL ratings this year have been garbage and on a macro level the medium to long term health of football as a sport as insanely popular as it is right now, that ESPN is paying absolute top dollar for, is very uncertain.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

VendaGoat posted:

Look, I'm incredibly bored at the moment, as the penguins are stomping the heads of the panthers.

:words:

Your thoughts?

Who hacked VendaGoat's account and actually posted something resembling a coherent thesis about a stock?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Star Wars and Mickey Mouse aren't going away anytime soon, ESPN notwithstanding. They'll fall with the market, sure, but it is such a huge company now that there are very few downsides and many potential opportunities.

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

R.A. Dickey posted:

This is me speculating but I would think the number of people paying for ESPN right now who if they didn't have to wouldn't (and soon won't) is orders of magnitude higher than people who will seek out and buy it via a hypothetical streaming service. Are we even sure their rights packages are valuable? NFL ratings this year have been garbage and on a macro level the medium to long term health of football as a sport as insanely popular as it is right now, that ESPN is paying absolute top dollar for, is very uncertain.

And to put some back of the envelope math on here... in 2015 ESPN lost 4mm subscribers. They make $80 from each subscriber per year so that represents a loss of $320mm in revenue. To replace that revenue (and assuming there is no knock on effect from advertising revenue) a hypothetical ESPN stand alone streaming service priced around $25 a month would need around 1mm subscribers to get there. For context HBO Now has something like 900k, so it's doable but thats assuming subscriber loss remains constant. If you take the loss of 600k subscribers in October and stretch that forward into next year, you'd need to 1.9mm new streaming subscriptions to get there. Is that possible? Maybe, but it's a little bit more precarious than you're making it out to be.

R.A. Dickey fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 9, 2016

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

R.A. Dickey posted:

And to put some back of the envelope math on here... in 2015 ESPN lost 4mm subscribers. They make $80 from each subscriber per year so that represents a loss of $320mm in revenue. To replace that revenue (and assuming there is no knock on effect from advertising revenue) a hypothetical ESPN stand alone streaming service priced around $25 a month would need around 1mm subscribers to get there. For context HBO Now has something like 900k, so it's doable but thats assuming subscriber loss remains constant. If you take those the loss of 600k subscribers in October and stretch that forward into next year, you'd need to 1.9mm new subscriptions to get there. Is that possible? Maybe, but it's a little bit more precarious than you're making it out to be.

By doing a standalone service they also open up new means of streaming.

According to this they've lost ten million subscribers.
http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/espn-loses-1-5-million-subscribers-as-cord-cutting-accelerates-052816
So instead of getting ESPN thru a cable provider it can now be an app on a phone. I can tell you from traveling, having a streaming device to watch your home town sports team play is a welcome comfort.
So the sales people that travel the country is a huge demographic for this. Cord cutters who just want sports and will find another means to watch shows are another. Then we can get into international customers both abroad and here in the states. I can name a number of people locally that are starved for Soccer matches and places to watch them. So on so forth.

For the truly die hard savers, and if DIS offers it, they will get a monthly subscription and cancel in the months that their chosen sport is not active in. Which makes for a cyclical market. Now that is just devices.

Then there are other ways to just get ESPN, sling being one and it currently has a 7 day free trial. So you can also sell equipment and subscriptions to homes that still want to watch sports but don't want to subscribe to cable.

Finally, the cord cutters are not currently the land owners. They need to get a bit older yet. Once millennials start to settle down, start families and purchase property they'll become a huge consumer base for the basic creature comforts. Especially once they get into positions where they can have some discretionary money. We are talking 74.9 million potential customers that just hit their 30's. In the next ten years you are going to see a huge spike in consumption.

Or the death of us all...

Depending on your perspective.

EDIT: Oh I forgot something. This is also a generation that grew up with Disney being an enormous part of their childhood. Even more so then me, a Gen Xer.

VendaGoat fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 9, 2016

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

VendaGoat posted:

By doing a standalone service they also open up new means of streaming.

According to this they've lost ten million subscribers.
http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/espn-loses-1-5-million-subscribers-as-cord-cutting-accelerates-052816
So instead of getting ESPN thru a cable provider it can now be an app on a phone. I can tell you from traveling, having a streaming device to watch your home town sports team play is a welcome comfort.
So the sales people that travel the country is a huge demographic for this. Cord cutters who just want sports and will find another means to watch shows are another. Then we can get into international customers both abroad and here in the states. I can name a number of people locally that are starved for Soccer matches and places to watch them. So on so forth.

Yeah, the thing is ESPN doesn't air your hometown sports team, they air weekly, national games. Unless you're a huge Monday Night Football fan or something this isn't going to attract travelers. As far as soccer, ESPN has got basically nothing. The English Premiere League is on NBC and La Liga is on something called BeIN Sports. They have a handful on Champions' League games per year and some MLS, good luck with that.

VendaGoat posted:

For the truly die hard savers, and if DIS offers it, they will get a monthly subscription and cancel in the months that their chosen sport is not active in. Which makes for a cyclical market. Now that is just devices.

Then there are other ways to just get ESPN, sling being one and it currently has a 7 day free trial. SO you can also sell equipment and subscriptions to homes that still want to watch sports but don't want to subscribe to cable.

Finally, the cord cutters are not currently the land owners. They need to get a bit older yet. Once millennials start to settle down, start families and purchase property they'll become a huge consumer base for the basic creature comforts. Especially once they get into positions where they can have some discretionary money. We are talking 74.9 million potential customers that just hit their 30's. In the next ten years you are going to see a huge spike in consumption.

I guess this is possible, but on the other hand as millennials start to settle down baby boomers are going to start dying. Which group is more likely to have a traditional cable package? Basically I think ESPN is in terminal decline. They have variable income (which is going down) and fixed costs (which are going up). If the trends continue for even a few more years they could be in a lot of trouble much quicker than you think.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

Yeah thats pretty much what I'm getting at

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

R.A. Dickey posted:

Yeah thats pretty much what I'm getting at

I see potential customers, you see what?

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

VendaGoat posted:

I see potential customers, you see what?

Baby boomers (who are mostly traditional cable subscribers) dying off and being replaced by people who don't give a poo poo about cable and are going to consume media a la cart.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

R.A. Dickey posted:

Baby boomers (who are mostly traditional cable subscribers) dying off and being replaced by people who don't give a poo poo about cable and are going to consume media a la cart.

As long as Mickey makes his money, who cares how, where, when or why it happens?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

A Disney with the exclusive rights to license Marvel and Star Wars merch to idiot techbro millionaire manbabies is the safest bet this side of publicly traded cocaine,who even cares about Mickey/Back Catalog/Pixar at this point

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 9, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

People will eventually realize the Marvel movies aren't that great. Maybe not tomorrow but eventually.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
ESPN made a diasterous series of stupid bets, including the wrong football, but that shouldn't limit your repsect for Disney as a media company.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Everyone is too scared now to have children, we will have noone to watch awful pixar poo poo in 2 years, short DIS thesis, genius

my investment thesis is built around people wanting to escape their lovely reality though
i'm pretty deep comics and games

maybe i should add in some bullets and alcohol...

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Josh Lyman posted:

People will eventually realize the Marvel movies aren't that great. Maybe not tomorrow but eventually.

you forgot the "willful" part of willful ignorance

and nerds are really good at that. speaking from experience.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
DIS is a cancer in my portfolio and I'm looking to cut it out ASAP. Being the big idiot I am, I got into DIS at around 113. I hope it makes it into the green for me in the next few months, but that's what I've been saying for a year now.

That money is then going straight into ETFs.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

leper khan posted:

my investment thesis is built around people wanting to escape their lovely reality though
i'm pretty deep comics and games

maybe i should add in some bullets and alcohol...

On that note, ATVI or EA?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Chill Penguin posted:

ATVI, they're better diversified across consoles, pc, and mobile. EA doesn't have much mobile presence and I wanted to make sure i didn't have some weird overexposure to sports given my position in DIS.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

VendaGoat posted:

Streaming supersedes cable due to cable's weaknesses. I don't think home-ownership will make commercials or fixed-schedules acceptable.

The trick will be in assimilating to the new medium. Trump guarantees Net Neutrality's demise. Telecoms will selectively meter anything outside their own offerings. This will be how people are brought back into the fold. New streaming services will be strangled in the crib.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

"capitalism"

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Chill Penguin posted:

leper khan posted:

ATVI, they're better diversified across consoles, pc, and mobile. EA doesn't have much mobile presence and I wanted to make sure i didn't have some weird overexposure to sports given my position in DIS.

real talk though if i had any balls i'd get an oversized position in tencent. they own basically everything or at least a large chunk, and they make insane amounts of money.

also props to naming your company after how much you pay your workers.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I've also been thinking about entertainment a lot lately and think that 7974 is the best pick in that space right now, just so many potentially huge new markets now that they're finally embracing phones and realizing they have a loving goldmine in the NES classic (and obvious future SNES/N64/whatever classics). ATVI seems interesting too, good price with call of duty getting tired.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Pryor on Fire posted:

I've also been thinking about entertainment a lot lately and think that 7974 is the best pick in that space right now, just so many potentially huge new markets now that they're finally embracing phones and realizing they have a loving goldmine in the NES classic (and obvious future SNES/N64/whatever classics). ATVI seems interesting too, good price with call of duty getting tired.

i like nintendo, but i'm planning on exposure to them via developing basement tier games on their upcoming platform. :shrug:

my biggest concern with ATVI is the war chest they're dedicating to turning overwatch into an international sports ball thing. worked for riot though.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
into LCI @ $25 :chillpill:

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

leper khan posted:

my biggest concern with ATVI is the war chest they're dedicating to turning overwatch into an international sports ball thing. worked for riot though.

Just think of all the timed exclusive tournament items they can make to spur more lootbox purchases.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/807249996085166081

We should all buy GS

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Yup, just bought FNCL back.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

NTDOY is a hell of a lot easier.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
drat DIS is on a tear this week. I have cancelled my $103 stop loss order and put in a 5% trailing stop now that we are rising the way we are. Profits are locked in and ExDiv was yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CloFan posted:

You know, I'm pretty content with my current holdings in F, DIS, NVDA... and not-so-content in CSIQ. Wish I could turn that into AMD or VUZI, but I'm down 40% and feel like maybe I can still recover more if I hold?

Meh cut your losses. That's just my opinion though of course.

If you guys haven't been buying GS on every single dip this last month then you done goofed.