Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah I wound up looking up what some of the Level 5 bonuses were for Master Quartz to get an idea for which ones to try out endgame, and as soon as I saw the +10% Evade for Murakumo that became a no brainer.

Loading Alisa up as a artes-user seems kind of wasteful IMO, I mean I suppose I could see the use for mob clean up but there are a billion ways to do mob clean up and do so with a party that is also geared towards boss battles (where obviously the real difficulty comes in). Better to put Criminal/Hades on Emma to do the same role while also being the magic nuke on bosses. Anyway, Alisa wound up being my get out of jail free card with Moebius. I'd bring her in to quickly heal/recharge the party with either items or Blessed Arrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Yinlock posted:

though I guess that's not difficult since endgame difficulty is basically a joke, outside of nightmare I assume.

Nope, still kind of a joke at that point even on NG nightmare and even without considering actually breaking the game with delay spam or machias. You get too many ways to avoid/block damage completely so it's kind of FC only instead of casting earth wall you're probably using crafts to do it. The few things you can't block are taken care of by doubling your HP. Bosses don't really out-speed you either.

S-crafts also do a ton of damage and while not quite Agate, Gaius can just spam them constantly thanks to the return of gladiator gear and his craft/s-craft actually being decent this time around. Food items are also really good.

Nightmare is somewhat of a challenge near the beginning that requires some minimal grind to stock up on items but by mid-game you've already won, pretty much. It's a combination of them upgrading crafts even further from CS1, upgrading art damage, upgrading S-crafts instead of making the second an alternative option (like for Elliot), not touching evade and not touching enemy speed. You can hit 170 speed even before speed buffs on your fast characters. I wasn't scanning, but I'd be surprised if end-game enemies broke 140 and they didn't buff speed that I can remember. That means your speed 100 characters were matching them after buffs or outspeeding them if you got them to 120 speed which you probably did, at minimum. This is what takes the damage avoidance from good to broken--they'd be fine if enemies moved fast enough to attack even a single member twice before you could re-up.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Endorph posted:

'there will be more news december 8th'

all the other text is about ys, xanadu, and sky 3rd evo

I wanna see Ys VIII on PS4

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

Yeah I wound up looking up what some of the Level 5 bonuses were for Master Quartz to get an idea for which ones to try out endgame, and as soon as I saw the +10% Evade for Murakumo that became a no brainer.

Loading Alisa up as a artes-user seems kind of wasteful IMO, I mean I suppose I could see the use for mob clean up but there are a billion ways to do mob clean up and do so with a party that is also geared towards boss battles (where obviously the real difficulty comes in). Better to put Criminal/Hades on Emma to do the same role while also being the magic nuke on bosses. Anyway, Alisa wound up being my get out of jail free card with Moebius. I'd bring her in to quickly heal/recharge the party with either items or Blessed Arrow.

Alisa's already set for boss fights though, she comes with Heavenly Gift and it's still extremely good. She can contribute a ton just by using it and nothing else. While Emma is a better caster overall, Alisa's main advantage over Emma is that she's fast so she can put Calamity to good use, or get off heals faster. I used both and switched between them at whim so the point is moot anyway. I also played on Normal because I assumed it was a Sky SC situation so I could probably get away with more shenanigans as well.

Poor male party members, my team was like invariably Rean's Angels And Sometimes Jusis. At least Rean is still really good, I actually got a lot of use out of Spirit Unification. 4S+ Termination Slash hits like a loving truck even at 100cp. Arcane Gale is also amazing.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
After finishing the available Trails series over the last couple of months I have now started playing the Ys games and have a tech question that someone might be able to answer as I can't find anything with my weak rear end google-fu. When trying to play the steam games after chronicles e.g. Oath of Felgana, Origins and the Ark of Napishtim the game no longer properly recognizes my ps4 controller and always acts as if the analog stick is tilted upwards which makes it a pain to play. Is there any known fix for this so it plays properly like it did with Chronicles or am I out of luck if I don't have an older controller since what I could find out it might be an issue with the triggers.

CVE fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 1, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's probably something to do with those games not being able to work with Xinput perfectly. I think? Sara has posted about it in these threads from time to time. I mean you're not using a 360/bone controller so that might not be it but I know that whenever I play those games I have to do some finnicky things to get them to work, usually by binding certain keys in joy2key. Specifically I think it was the shoulder L2/R2 buttons not working, where instead it treats it like an analog direction.

Either way, what I use on the Steam Ys games is a combination of DS4Windows (to make my PS4 controller look like a Xbox 360 controller to Windows) and joy2key to get the shoulder buttons to work.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

It's probably something to do with those games not being able to work with Xinput perfectly. I think? Sara has posted about it in these threads from time to time. I mean you're not using a 360/bone controller so that might not be it but I know that whenever I play those games I have to do some finnicky things to get them to work, usually by binding certain keys in joy2key. Specifically I think it was the shoulder L2/R2 buttons not working, where instead it treats it like an analog direction.

Either way, what I use on the Steam Ys games is a combination of DS4Windows (to make my PS4 controller look like a Xbox 360 controller to Windows) and joy2key to get the shoulder buttons to work.

Do you know what to bind in joy2key? Never worked with it before so I'm not sure I'm just missing the proper option for it. And yeah ingame using the triggers e.g. R2/L2 gives input directions.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well, first you'd want to look up what game actions (and thus what keyboard keys) you want on the shoulder buttons. For me it was usually swapping magic or swords in the Ys Steam games. Then you'd fire up joy2key, see what gets highlighted when you press the shoulder buttons, and then assign to them the keyboard keys of choice from step #1. The only bit of weirdness with a DS4/360/bone controller is that you might have to increase the number of analog sticks to get them to all show up, since again the shoulder buttons might get treated as an analog stick. But this time since you are binding them to keyboard strokes it shouldn't matter. I'd be glad to send a screencap of my joy2key's "Falcom Steam" profile when I get hope but I bet you'd be able to figure out eventually by playing around with it a bit.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Disabling gamepad support from the game and completely working with joy2key worked so far. I seem to have lost diagonal movement in the change since I can't seem to find the button command for that in joy2key to mark the correspondant numpad button to.

Left Trigger seemed to be the problem as it shows up in joy2key as a constant pressed up on the right stick. Thanks for all the help so far.

Edit: Found the option to input diagonal commands as well. Everything works as it should now. Or at least I don't miss anything just yet. Well outside the bump system which was really fun when grinding and a great idea.

CVE fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 1, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I assure you there should be a way to get it to work 100% the way you want it without having to compromise with things like giving up your diagonal direction. I think in my case I was only using joy2key to map the shoulder buttons, everything else was mapped in-game using the usual gamepad mapping options. I want to say it should be possible to do it all in joy2key anyway though, by mapping say the analog stick to the up/down/left/right arrow keys. When you move the analog sticks do they show up highlighted in joy2key?

E: Are you using DS4Windows for your PS4 controller? That might help.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 1, 2016

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

I assure you there should be a way to get it to work 100% the way you want it without having to compromise with things like giving up your diagonal direction. I think in my case I was only using joy2key to map the shoulder buttons, everything else was mapped in-game using the usual gamepad mapping options. I want to say it should be possible to do it all in joy2key anyway though, by mapping say the analog stick to the up/down/left/right arrow keys. When you move the analog sticks do they show up highlighted in joy2key?

E: Are you using DS4Windows for your PS4 controller? That might help.

Got it to work now. Hadn't enabled the option in joy2key to have diagonal inputs as their own entry. After doing so I could assign the right buttons to it. For now things should work as intended, at least I think.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ys origins is being ported over to PS4/Vita. It's gonna use Xseeds script but its actually being done by a third party I've never heard of (DotEMU)

http://www.esterior.net/2016/12/ys-origin-to-be-released-on-playstation-4-and-ps-vita-on-2172017/

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cake Attack posted:

Ys origins is being ported over to PS4/Vita. It's gonna use Xseeds script but its actually being done by a third party I've never heard of (DotEMU)

they've handled a bunch of pc releases of old neo geo games and such like metal slug and all of them have had weird emulation issues, at the very least having minor audio bugs. i've never run into major issues with metal slug 3 on steam but i've heard really mixed things about most of their other releases. like, apparently the steam release of twinkle star sprites has weird issues with slowdown

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 3, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I wonder what Falcom's platform endgame is, eventually. Vita can't be long for this world and it's hard to imagine Sony doing another handheld. Can't imagine they'd dive back into the PC, either. So just whatever the latest Sony console is at a given moment?

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
At the moment everything points to Sony consoles and Sony's streaming platform as the mobile option. Not sure what mobile devices are supported, but I imagine they'll increase over time.

I'd be surprised if they left Sony's environment. PC ports aren't impossible, but I also feel like they're far less likely now that Sony's streaming is on PC.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Nate RFB posted:

I wonder what Falcom's platform endgame is, eventually. Vita can't be long for this world and it's hard to imagine Sony doing another handheld. Can't imagine they'd dive back into the PC, either. So just whatever the latest Sony console is at a given moment?

I think they'll do PS4/Vita until the Vita is truly dead in Japan. They will likely also do PC ports if they keep doing well in the west.

E: I will probably buy Ys Origin on both platforms, I have no self control

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 3, 2016

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I've said it before, ill say it again:

I really like Duvalie.:allears:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

King of Solomon posted:

E: I will probably buy Ys Origin on both platforms, I have no self control

Same.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Delivering what I'm sure is a blinding hot take here: XSeed's cool

https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/806960952998400000
https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/806961484731252736
https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/806962187642159104

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Hatsuu is great and I'm so glad she works for XSeed.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

And here I thought my frequent panic attacks about missing NPC chatter or dialogue trees was bad.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
i actually laughed at duvalie so dang i guess it actually worked

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

(CSII final dungeon spoilers)

Holy poo poo is the game seriously still pulling the whole 'nuh-uh, you didn't actually win' crap in this, the final goddamn dungeon? What is the point of setting this up as Class VII's big moment if they're still reliant on adults to bail them out of every single boss fight? Why have Fie give this big speech about finally being able to stand on her own feet if you're going to undercut it? Sorry if it's repetitive, I know this has been complained about before, but it's just infuriating.

Can't wait to see who's coming in the third section.

e: ok, it actually feels justified with McBurn and Arseid I guess

Gato fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 11, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Gato posted:

(CSII final dungeon spoilers)

Holy poo poo is the game seriously still pulling the whole 'nuh-uh, you didn't actually win' crap in this, the final goddamn dungeon? Sorry if it's repetitive, I know this has been complained about before, but it's just infuriating.

Don't worry! It's not the final dungeon.

CS3 had drat well better let me kick every rear end for good. No escapes, no powering up, no scripted losses.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Is any rear end ever truly kicked for good unless and until it's turned into a pile of salt?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the reason for all that 'they get away' stuff is probably how CS1 and 2 were meant to be one game at one point. So all the big villains being out of your league at the end of the first game would feel a bit more justified than at the end of the second.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Really Pants posted:

Don't worry! It's not the final dungeon.

CS3 had drat well better let me kick every rear end for good. No escapes, no powering up, no scripted losses.

I hope they power up and I kick their rear end again

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Endorph posted:

the reason for all that 'they get away' stuff is probably how CS1 and 2 were meant to be one game at one point. So all the big villains being out of your league at the end of the first game would feel a bit more justified than at the end of the second.

Falcom's 140 hour JRPG

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MotU posted:

I hope they power up and I kick their rear end again

also acceptable

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
for me its desirable because I like it when its the NPCs turns to go "why are they this strong this is bullshit" kinda like we had for a hot minute in the intermission chapter

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
i wish there was an option during the Intermission Chapter aboard the Pantagruel to just be like "yeah ok" and join the Noble Alliance even if it was like a New Game+ only truncated chapter type thing

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Xseed put out a big patch for FC and SC. Mainly bug fixes (so if the person who's game was bugged out and not letting them proceed is reading this, try again), but also some UI fixes (including making FCs orbment lines colored like SC) and a skip S-craft function.

Changelog: https://m.facebook.com/XSEEDTrails/posts/1663538447004895

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 13, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MotU posted:

i wish there was an option during the Intermission Chapter aboard the Pantagruel to just be like "yeah ok" and join the Noble Alliance even if it was like a New Game+ only truncated chapter type thing

I'm pretty sure that would just end with Rufus stabbing Rean while he sleeps. The end. No moral.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Cake Attack posted:

Xseed put out a big patch for FC and SC. Mainly bug fixes (so if the person who's game was bugged out and not letting them proceed is reading this, try again), but also some UI fixes (including making FCs orbment lines colored like SC) and a skip S-craft function.

Sara continues her saintly work.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Cool to see Sara's still working her magic on the older games. (as well as keeping consistency between the three games) During FC and SC, I never used S-crafts frequently enough to yearn for a skip option, but seeing that 3rd starts introducing that "higher elements turn bonuses"-stuff we saw in Steel, that might change. Anything's better than a random mook with an AOE-attack insta-killing my entire team because he got the Death turn bonus.

I recall hearing that 3rd has an option to instantly remove all quartz from a character. That'd be handy to be implemented into SC too since I'm kinda OCD about keeping character levels relatively even and as such did quite a bit of switching around during the game, especially near the end.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Dec 13, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cake Attack posted:

I was wondering why Steam was going crazy updating those two over the past week or so.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
S craft skipping will be super useful in 3rd when agate is involved

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Akatsuki no Kiseki is getting a Vita port, apparently.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Is Akatsuki even canon? Because if it is, good luck to XSEED in bringing that over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Is Akatsuki even canon? Because if it is, good luck to XSEED in bringing that over.

As I've heard it described it might be canon, sort of. The gacha is non-canon, but the original characters being there and their story/their actual interactions with characters is? I imagine if any of the details actually are canonically important falcom will float them to other games though, given this is the sort of thing where once the server goes down it'd all be inaccessible and gacha isn't for everybody in the first place. Unless the Vita version is all locally accessible/entirely free.