Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
just routed an lfo's output to a filters cutoff and an envelope to an fm synth's feedback how much do modular components cost in real life because this is way too much fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Startyde posted:

I've been in love with the Easel for years and always spend way too much time with a synthfriend's original(!) when he brings it to meets. It's the platonic ideal of more than the sum of its parts when it comes to synths I think.
The BEMI reissue is very good and the early run trubs have been worked out for a while now. There's a couple really great 'expanders' these days for the program card slot. Still can't bring myself to plunk down for one though.

I really like the expansion card because I already build electronics, but have been staying away from building modular because it's a lot of work.

Developing an expansion card for this with a PIC would be a pretty fun exercise.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
I figure this is probably the best place to ask: what's the best small footprint daw/midi sequencing program to have running on an old laptop? I want to take my synth out to a jam and therefore can't bring my desktop, and just have an old lovely laptop that I would be able to use for sequencing. I'm afraid that running cubase on it will make the laptop catch on fire and explode, so what would be the best program to use?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Gorewar posted:

I figure this is probably the best place to ask: what's the best small footprint daw/midi sequencing program to have running on an old laptop? I want to take my synth out to a jam and therefore can't bring my desktop, and just have an old lovely laptop that I would be able to use for sequencing. I'm afraid that running cubase on it will make the laptop catch on fire and explode, so what would be the best program to use?

How old is old? Cubase4 will still auth with C8 dongle and runs pretty well on most things. If it's what you know I'd just use that.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Hey dudes, is there anyone around here with some modest pixel art / graphic design skills who would be interested in doing a little art for a Reaktor Block I'm making? It's a gate and velocity sequencer and basically I just need 13x13 icons for off, on, and tie. I can give you detailed specs in PM (or just reply here if you don't have PMs I guess).

Here's what it looks like (please excuse the obvious unfinished/prototype stuff): http://imgur.com/a/vJE23

As you can see the tie icon is especially lovely right now so I'm open to suggestions on that. Bonus points if you wouldn't mind creating some little 5 frame animations for off->on->tie->off.

I can't pay you with anything except the fame, glory, and 5 or 6 user ratings that come with from dozens, if not hundreds of user library downloads. Of course I will credit you in the UL description and the instrument tooltip.

I'll cobble something together if noone is interested but just thought I'd ask. :shobon:

breaks fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 2, 2016

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Photex posted:

Just got my Volca Kick in, first thing I did was pipe it through a tube overdrive now i'm ready to make some in your face industrial farts :psylon:

Please share

e: I guess I'll post this while I'm here. I took my poo poo apart for a weekend jam session at a friend's place so I took the opportunity to install a bigger tabletop now that I'm back. Much more space (I can finally put my monitors on the table) and I can have the 80s FM stuff front and center. They sound so good through the reverb unit. Booya!

crab avatar fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Dec 2, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

breaks posted:

Hey dudes, is there anyone around here with some modest pixel art / graphic design skills who would be interested in doing a little art for a Reaktor Block I'm making? It's a gate and velocity sequencer and basically I just need 13x13 icons for off, on, and tie. I can give you detailed specs in PM (or just reply here if you don't have PMs I guess).
My graphic skills are extremely modest. Sending PM.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Gorewar posted:

If you're ok with the inconveniences of things being late eighties basic, then SEQ24 has that cool Ableton Live loop triggering paradigm for midi only. It'd probably run on a raspberry pi or a laptop made for windows 98.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

ArfJason posted:

just routed an lfo's output to a filters cutoff and an envelope to an fm synth's feedback how much do modular components cost in real life because this is way too much fun

just like :horse:, modular costs however much money you got

on that note, just installed my sport mod and drat! best ssg ever

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

Flipperwaldt posted:

If you're ok with the inconveniences of things being late eighties basic, then SEQ24 has that cool Ableton Live loop triggering paradigm for midi only. It'd probably run on a raspberry pi or a laptop made for windows 98.

That sounds perfect. Thank you.

However, my problem has taken another turn. As it happens the laptop I thought I had is actually a samsung chromebook. Is there any way to trigger midi loops on outboard synthesizers using one of these things that isn't hacking its BIOS and installing windows?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Gorewar posted:

That sounds perfect. Thank you.

However, my problem has taken another turn. As it happens the laptop I thought I had is actually a samsung chromebook. Is there any way to trigger midi loops on outboard synthesizers using one of these things that isn't hacking its BIOS and installing windows?
I see people swearing up and down that running linux on a chromebook is dead easy using crouton. I have no idea what all that means, but it's stuff you can Google presumably. SEQ24 is actually a linux app that is updated beyond the ancient windows port that's available, so that would then still be my suggestion.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

I see people swearing up and down that running linux on a chromebook is dead easy using crouton. I have no idea what all that means, but it's stuff you can Google presumably. SEQ24 is actually a linux app that is updated beyond the ancient windows port that's available, so that would then still be my suggestion.

I've used crouton on my Chromebook before and it's not terrible to setup if you have some Linux knowledge. Might be a pain if you don't though.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Flipperwaldt posted:

This is exactly what I've been looking for. Thank you.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Ok, just in case, SEQ24 on Windows. A while ago I did find someone who had tried to build another Windows version of the 0.9 beta but it wouldn't run. I got it working by using all those files, but dropping in the official 0.8.8 exe-file you can get off the regular website. This adds key remapping, quantized recording and mute groups. Especially the latter is an important added feature, where one keypress will switch between various mute/unmute states of the whole grid. Iirc, mapping loops to midi triggers (like pads on a controller) should be possible with config file fuckery, but I've never got it to work.

Anyway, 0.9-win32-beta-4 behind the link. On linux 0.9.3 should be available through regular channels. Definitely read the included txt file and tooltips for keyboard shortcuts and stuff.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Picked up a Volca FM.

DX7 algo through a modern DAC sounds so good. Sucks about the polyphony, but Korg makes up for it with the arpeggiator.

hug a mexican
Jul 8, 2010

sliderule posted:

Picked up a Volca FM.

DX7 algo through a modern DAC sounds so good. Sucks about the polyphony, but Korg makes up for it with the arpeggiator.

yeah the only thing i'm still bummed about a couple of weeks in on owning one is the velocity thing. otherwise it's real swell

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Synth thread, I've been away too long. It's not you, it's me. I have, however, at long last, come for a confession.

Within the last week, I've bought things.

I've... bought things you people wouldn't believe. :pcgaming:

Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Prophet-6. (Today's haul alone included a Prophet-6.)

I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Oberheim Gate. (...and an OB-6.)

All those... dollars will be lost... in time... like... tears... in rain. :retrogames:

Time... to die. (I'm locking myself inside for December; I can't wait until Christmas break!)

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

minidracula posted:

Synth thread, I've been away too long. It's not you, it's me. I have, however, at long last, come for a confession.

Within the last week, I've bought things.

I've... bought things you people wouldn't believe. :pcgaming:

Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Prophet-6. (Today's haul alone included a Prophet-6.)

I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Oberheim Gate. (...and an OB-6.)

All those... dollars will be lost... in time... like... tears... in rain. :retrogames:

Time... to die. (I'm locking myself inside for December; I can't wait until Christmas break!)

For your sake I hope your cat is polydactyl.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

hug a mexican posted:

yeah the only thing i'm still bummed about a couple of weeks in on owning one is the velocity thing. otherwise it's real swell

the velocity didnt work on the lowest octave on my dx7, so that just makes it more vintage accurate :colbert:

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice
1 year warranty on a cardboard box is pretty strong...

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Alright, so the modular bug has bitten. Given that I was looking at a Buchla Music Easel, I am looking to put together a compact (2 x 84hp + row of 1U tiles) system featuring a Sputnik Modular Touch Keyboard on the bottom and a handful of high-density modules.

Something like this:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/373525

What kind of stuff am I missing / forgetting? I get that there's no sequencing, but my thoughts were that I could program a Disting to loop CV from the keyboard's arpeggio, or any other number of sequencing duties.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Those Intellijel "1U" tiles are not everyone else's "1U" tiles because Intellijel hosed up. You can't put them in a row with the Synthrotek.

Pulp Logic stuff will work tho and probably has you covered.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Since you already have a mixer in the 1U row, you could probably get away with the Make Noise LxD instead of the Optomix.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Tayter Swift posted:

Those Intellijel "1U" tiles are not everyone else's "1U" tiles because Intellijel hosed up. You can't put them in a row with the Synthrotek.

Pulp Logic stuff will work tho and probably has you covered.

Oh drat. I was looking at the Intellijel 7U Performance case though, so I might go the other way and just use the Intellijel 1U tiles. =/

Should I be looking at better / different portable cases?

good jovi posted:

Since you already have a mixer in the 1U row, you could probably get away with the Make Noise LxD instead of the Optomix.

Oh neat. I guess with Distings to spare I can always use one of those for mixing CVs.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Have you considered going all Sputnik? Or one of the verbos systems?

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
No, I haven't, and with a cursory google I can't find pre-built systems by either of those manufacturers.

My current setup came from how I figured as long as I'm going eurorack I would pick and choose from the things I found interesting, not just Buchla reproductions. To be honest I selected the Furthrrrr because it seemed to do more than the Make Noise DPO, but really I know sweet gently caress all about these modules.

I'll review the modules from those two and see what's available.

I'm happy to review other modulargrid systems you think might be up my alley.

I really like Distings as general purpose CV processors because I can program them to do anything that isn't covered by the built-in algorithms. Other than that I have no allegiances to any manufacturer.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
Verbose has a pre-built composition system.

They had a pre-built performance system but I think it was a limited thing, although you could piece one together from those pictures since they're all still for sale.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Ah yea I was thinking of the performance system, didn't realize it was a limited run.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

The Intellijel cases are pretty nifty. If you do want to mix and match 1U units, Pulplogic has a 6 tile carrier available. I have one in an Intellijel case here.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Intellijel is supposed to be expanding their 1U lineup pretty soon as well. I'm pretty happy with the ones that I have gotten from them (audio i/o, quadatt). It's unfortunate they didn't use the same dimensions as everyone else though.

You should also look at the Shapeshifter if you are interested in complex oscillator style modules. It's digital but then again you have four distings in there. It's very high quality for all the internal stuff (runs at a sample rate of up to a few MHz internally), and still nice when using the external inputs also. In general it has a more precise sound than the analog complex oscillators. Aside from being digital in the first place it can lock in exact ratios for FM, though you can also disable this. It does a lot of extra stuff on top of the usual two oscs + wavefolder setup: many sync modes, wavetables, waveshaper mode using any of the wavetables, a combiner for the two oscs with ring mod, analog-style logic, and a couple stranger modes, simple delay, an internal percussive envelope, chords, by the way it's also a vocoder... The interface can take some learning, though it's very fast and easy if you take the time to understand it.

breaks fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Dec 9, 2016

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Ugh, modular. I hate you already: http://www.rossum-electro.com/products/morpheus/

The shapeshifter looks pretty cool. Listening to demos now.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

sliderule posted:

Ugh, modular. I hate you already: http://www.rossum-electro.com/products/morpheus/

The shapeshifter looks pretty cool. Listening to demos now.

HAIL SATAN

Rossum's modules are brilliant. You will not be disappointed when you inevitably pull the trigger on one. Welcome to the Euro k-hole.

I just had my most recent Analogue Haven order show up - a Malekko AD/LFO (ultra-compact 6x AD/LFO), and the Doepfer pan/xfade module. I'm super excited about having the panner, which saves me a pair of VCAs and an inverter every loving time I want to pan something around. I'm even more excited about the AD/LFO, since it should allow me to make some super-complex patches with the Akemie's Castle. Nothing like having a loving monster 38hp module cause you to buy another 12hp of module just to use it productively, of course. :homebrew: :homebrew:

HAIL SATAN

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I always lamented that those z-plane filters were too static. I don't think I'm going to be able to say no to that one.

Also I discovered the Monome Teletype which is amazingly up my alley. I may give up on an integrated keyboard in favour of more sequencing.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Help me guys, I just bought a Pittsburgh Modular Foundations 3.1, I have no idea what I'm doing but it's so much fun!

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Plug some poo poo into some other poo poo!

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/374050

I only wonder if I could benefit from another mixer / panner, but I know I can make disting pull panning shift with lots of internal modulation potential so meh.

The architecture goal is self-explanatory I think. Algorithmic + random modulation / sequencing section, stereo signal path through the Morpheus and a z-dsp that will inevitably only run Halls of Valhalla.

Any problems? I presume mult cables are as good as unbuffered mults?

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Pitts made a vactrol with a filter in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa9E76E4XdM

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
drat, I like the sound of that. I'm out of room though, so I'd have to ditch my dedicated panner and LxD... oh dear lord.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of panners, what's around in a 3-4 channel mixer with per-channel CV pan control?

E: oh hello Verbos Scan & Pan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I don't know anything about synths. I have a Roland digital piano that I love, and i've had a lot of $200 yamaha and casio student keyboards, but I found this guy at a pawn shop for a couple hundred bucks, so I decided to get it, as at the very least, its a midi controller with a lot of octaves, for my garage band bullshit.

This considered decent among synth goons in the know?