Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Jade is crazier than poo poo, but she's got motivation and a goal and I think she should have been our protagonist.

You could still keep Rabies around as the Dr. Watson dumbass she explains everything to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Schubalts posted:

Psycho Mantis is reading your Amazon purchase history and making a game.

I see you like fishnets, going to a rave I bet? Hah. not likely.
Leather trenchcoats? Why would a furry wear the skin of other animals? Something so morbid doesnt suit you.

Ahh lets dig deeper
Ah yes
So you like drago-
NO NO NO GET OUT OF MY HEAD

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I see you like fishnets, going to a rave I bet? Hah. not likely.
Leather trenchcoats? Why would a furry wear the skin of other animals? Something so morbid doesnt suit you.

Ahh lets dig deeper
Ah yes
So you like drago-
NO NO NO GET OUT OF MY HEAD

I'm not trapped in here with you, you're trapped in here with me. :getin:

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Rabies... Have you ever been in a, in a Turkish prison?

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I might as well confess up. Years ago (I think close to a decade?), I had a crazy colorful furry character who actually made the characters in this look mundane. I think the motivation for me back then was simply pure fun--I could have fun playing with all sorts of colors and designs. I've also accepted that I simply don't have the best color sense.

Anyways, fictional abuse of quantum mechanics always makes me smack my forehead. Like our LPer said, that stuff only operates for the really tiny stuff--certainly not stuff on a macro scale. The dead or alive cat is a pure thought experiment and even it involves those very same tiny particles.

And that's not all that is wrong with this game. There's just... a lot wrong.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 9, 2016

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

inscrutable horse posted:

Rabies... Have you ever been in a, in a Turkish prison?

Rabies, you ever hang around a Maid Cafe?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I spent more time (20 minutes) on this dumb joke than I should've.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

:vince: Holy poo poo.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

PoptartsNinja posted:

The condom is an amazing/disgusting (circle one) touch

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I had to emulate the buck-teeth somehow. :shrug:

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I just googled Klace.

Dear god, he is exactly every inch the person you think he is.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Time well spent.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

You DO realize this is a fetish, right?

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

You DO realize this is a fetish, right?

This is a thread for a bad furry visual novel after all.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

CoolFish88 posted:

This is a thread for a bad furry visual novel after all.

Sonictoilet.jpg

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Anyways, fictional abuse of quantum mechanics always makes me smack my forehead. Like our LPer said, that stuff only operates for the really tiny stuff--certainly not stuff on a macro scale. The dead or alive cat is a pure thought experiment and even it involves those very same tiny particles.
The main reason people get into trouble is because they forget that the cat experiment isn't supposed to work. Schrodinger was using it to illustrate a problem with the orthodox interpretation of quantum mechanics.

Now, I'm no quantum physictician, and maybe the state of the art has actually answered this question since, but it seems pretty clear to me that the wave function would collapse as soon as the Geiger counter "observes" the material to have emitted radiation or not?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

FractalSandwich posted:

The main reason people get into trouble is because they forget that the cat experiment isn't supposed to work. Schrodinger was using it to illustrate a problem with the orthodox interpretation of quantum mechanics.

Now, I'm no quantum physictician, and maybe the state of the art has actually answered this question since, but it seems pretty clear to me that the wave function would collapse as soon as the Geiger counter "observes" the material to have emitted radiation or not?

What about the wave function of the system that includes both the radioactive material and the geiger counter, then? When does that collapse? Or, in a different direction, what about the system consisting of only half of the radioactive material present, which might affect the other half of the material by emitting particles? Has the latter half "observed" the effect of the radioactive decay of the first half any less than the geiger counter did? Or take it even further and consider if an atom can observe its neighbor and if so why wouldn't that cause the collapse of its wave function?

And furthermore

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
We could poke holes in this poo poo all day, but I could really care less about them getting quantum physics wrong as a way to explain a parallel universes story. What's really stupid is how it comes up in the first place.

First Rook explains about the mysterious deaths around Tokyo for the protagonists. It's incredibly awkward and out of place, why the gently caress would this guy tell this "disturbing" story to two contest winners who he's supposed to be hosting and showing a good time to? Why would he point out the bizarre details like how they all die at midnight? Klace knows that he's got to establish these details so that he can move on to other stuff, but he has no idea how to do it naturally so he has a random character give a random exposition dump so he can get it out of the way. That scene also has Klace's "brother" hilariously shoehorned in there because the author knows just enough that he should set things up so he can use them later, but it's just so loving awkward. "Oh yeah, that's Klace's brother or something, but DO YOU GUYS WANT TO TALK ABOUT MURDERS!?"

Then Jade, with zero prompting at all, invites a guy she's barely met up to her office so that she can talk about quantum physics and parallel dimensions. Why? Because you need to explain that for the story I guess. As people pointed out he's obviously bumming ideas from better games, in this case Zero Escape. But the thing is that when those games did it, it wasn't always immediately obvious where the story was going with its weird tangents. They were vague, meant to both prime you for things later on, but also to get you wondering on where they were going with it, not to mention the red herrings that get thrown in with the actually important stuff. It's meant to make you think and puzzle things over, but there's no thinking involved in Major/Minor, Rabies just gets told "Hey, this story's gonna involve parallel dimensions. AND THE DIMENSIONS ARE CRASHING TOGETHER OMG!!!!11!"

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

What about the wave function of the system that includes both the radioactive material and the geiger counter, then? When does that collapse? Or, in a different direction, what about the system consisting of only half of the radioactive material present, which might affect the other half of the material by emitting particles? Has the latter half "observed" the effect of the radioactive decay of the first half any less than the geiger counter did? Or take it even further and consider if an atom can observe its neighbor and if so why wouldn't that cause the collapse of its wave function?

And furthermore
it's anthropomorphic turtles all the way down

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It also does not help that we have been explicitly shown a parallel dimension already.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Also that parallel dimension must be loving tiny if all the murders that happen on Terra only happen in Tokyo. An entire planet the size of Tokyo.

It's no wonder there isn't enough food and the next step up from Mayor is Immortal God-King.

Rinoka
Sep 15, 2012

Is this hope...?
...No! That's wrong!

FractalSandwich posted:

Actually, honestly, the Schrodinger experiment is hilarious because it was meant to be disproving the idea of the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum physics (superpositions), but was actually accepted as a genuine thought experiment whose many possible answers were how they further differentiated interpretations. What Schrodinger meant as a sort of objective criticism actually became the cornerstone for quantum science discussion. It's hilarious.

And by the way, your line of thought is correct as per research done by Niels Bohr, someone who worked on the Copenhagen interpretation. He declared measurement alone (via the Geiger counter) was enough to collapse the quantum wave.

Pretty much this. If you want to poke a gigantic hole in this concept, we could talk about how they're attempting to apply the many-worlds interpretation to coin flips and imply that Jade loving earned awards for saying "hey guys what if a coin flip superpositions the coin", which is something people have been trying to do without success for years.

Everything here smacks of bad writing not because the characters are talking about this poo poo at all, but because no character has an actual motivation. Kila is a transparent addon who mainly existed for you to decide if you wanted a Maid Cafe or Brokendown Nofunapalooza, and who basically stays after that to get trashed as a weebier version of Rabies' inner monologue. Rook is a brutally honest dick who wibble wobbles on his character to seem more likable or provide exposition, but that just makes him completely inconsistent. Jade... Jade seems like she has screws loose, meanwhile she implies she's won like, huge loving awards for proposing something to do with coin flips and the many-worlds theorem, which is just loving ridiculous from square one.

I'm... I'm not even going to address stripper Garfield's feelings about Rook.

Overall, like, I am fine with writing an essay on why this entire Jade business makes me want to pop a blood vessel, but it really just boils down to Klace not doing a whit of research in favor of just bullshitting based on his most recently consumed media. We've got Persona 4, Zero Escape, and now the mentions to Undertale have me worrying we're going to see a loving flower sprout out of one of these poor fucks.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

And even Zero Escape's tangents overstayed their welcome at times.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

PoptartsNinja posted:

Also that parallel dimension must be loving tiny if all the murders that happen on Terra only happen in Tokyo. An entire planet the size of Tokyo.

It's no wonder there isn't enough food and the next step up from Mayor is Immortal God-King.

If it works for Nocturne, it works for every other setting :colbert:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

If it works for Nocturne, it works for every other setting :colbert:

I don't think The Stranger ever went to Tokyo.

(I know which Nocturne you really meant)

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Since Jade is going to undoubtedly turn out to be correct, that means these furries live in a world where random crap from other dimensions can appear, and "Hey, what if like... in an alternate universe this coin flip came out differently" is award-winning theoretical science.

I can only conclude that they have no actual scientific advancement and things like arcade machines, limos and pictures of Japanese idols show up at random, and so are worshipped as gods.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

inthesto posted:

Can somebody explain to me what a ellipse followed by an exclamation point is supposed to sound like? One indicates a voice trailing off, and the other indicates a voice ending in excitement. They're mutually exclusive. Why would anyone put them together? (Don't answer that; we all already know the answer).

I'm trying to be an author myself (it's pretty tough!), and one of the things I was taught was that an ellipse is actually not considered punctuation that stops sentences, like periods or exclamation marks. If you use an ellipse to end a sentence, you should actually add a fourth period to indicate that the sentence is complete, and not that your character is pausing for effect. Adding an exclamation point at the end of an ellipse is technically correct, but is considered nonsensical because an ellipse (trailing, halting, stuttering) is an oxymoron to an exclamation point (loud, sudden, forceful).

It's something that doesn't come up often because it's a very uncommonly-known practice nowadays, and with how languages and practices are ever-evolving, it'll probably be phased out entirely sometime soon.

Rereading your post, my post doesn't actually answer your question, but hey, you might have learned something new.

Rinoka
Sep 15, 2012

Is this hope...?
...No! That's wrong!

Maple Leaf posted:

I'm trying to be an author myself (it's pretty tough!), and one of the things I was taught was that an ellipse is actually not considered punctuation that stops sentences, like periods or exclamation marks. If you use an ellipse to end a sentence, you should actually add a fourth period to indicate that the sentence is complete, and not that your character is pausing for effect. Adding an exclamation point at the end of an ellipse is technically correct, but is considered nonsensical because an ellipse (trailing, halting, stuttering) is an oxymoron to an exclamation point (loud, sudden, forceful).

It's something that doesn't come up often because it's a very uncommonly-known practice nowadays, and with how languages and practices are ever-evolving, it'll probably be phased out entirely sometime soon.

Rereading your post, my post doesn't actually answer your question, but hey, you might have learned something new.

In good writers' dictionaries, it's actually meant to be indicating the type of stop. Do you know that period where someone is presented with something surprising, loses their thought, registers the surprising thing, and then has a vaguely delayed reaction? It's like that. The ! doesn't represent a tonal change, but the person trailing off and then reacting to something - usually with some kind of audible exclamation. Like if you're talking and you're interrupted by a gunshot, to cite the last place I remember seeing it.

However, from the only place that came up when I ctrl+F'd it (Eclair, for those curious), I can tell you right now it's meant to make Eclair keep her 'exclamatory' vibe even when she's upset or trailing off. The 'I have to go...!" in terms of cliches is generally characterized by a sharp sob at the end of the perceived ellipse, or stuff like that - the exclamation is essentially her having an Emotion.

gently caress if I know why he put a ! at the end of "Final round, commence...!" He was probably trying to achieve "Final round, commence..." having the implication of a pause, while retaining the upbeat peppiness of "Final round, commence!".

The fun thing is that it accomplishes neither by doing both. It just reads weird. But overall, !s after ellipses are generally used to denote an exclamatory sound, rather than meaning "they exclaimed". So it's usually a choked sob, etc. Most writers write that into the text following the sentence to make it clear.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

You've put way more thought into it than the game dev.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Veyrall posted:

I just googled Klace.

Dear god, he is exactly every inch the person you think he is.

You compelled me to look.

I was not disappointed by what I found.

Klace everyone.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

I don't think The Stranger ever went to Tokyo.
I would play the hell out of that game.
Granted, I would play the hell out of any proper sequel to Nocturne (gently caress off, Blair Witch), but still.

edit: I think I just learned that there are people who make fursuits for a living. Just how big is this thing in the US? I thought it was just a bunch of cosplay enthusiasts with uncomfortable sexual undertones...

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Dec 10, 2016

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I always saw "...!" as a gasp of surprise, or shorthand to say someone's got a shocked expression and has been rendered incapable of speech, e.g:

quote:

Jane peeked in the window, and saw the principal taking off his face to reveal the reptilian being underneath!

"...!"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
In this case I suspect ...! is the sound of the sharp, desperate intake of breath Jade had to take after spouting all that bullshit without pausing to take a breath.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

anilEhilated posted:

edit: I think I just learned that there are people who make fursuits for a living. Just how big is this thing in the US? I thought it was just a bunch of cosplay enthusiasts with uncomfortable sexual undertones...

Furries have a shitload of spare money and will spend it very freely. An artist who is willing to draw their stuff or someone willing to make their dumb mascot costumes can make good money doing it.

Rinoka
Sep 15, 2012

Is this hope...?
...No! That's wrong!

Moon Slayer posted:

You've put way more thought into it than the game dev.

That's basically my life.

Given, when I say "he did x for x reason", I'm just meaning he wrote it that way unconsciously. You try and achieve certain effects without thinking about it. Klace's constantly trying to rip his favorite games' plots, warp them slightly, and then pass them as his own ideas, sooo...

CommissarMega posted:

I always saw "...!" as a gasp of surprise, or shorthand to say someone's got a shocked expression and has been rendered incapable of speech, e.g:

That's pretty much the best summary of my :words:. It can be used in varying ways depending on the context (sad = gasp becomes sob, happy = gasp becomes happy noise, etc), but the general gist of a ...! is trailing off followed by an exclamatory noise.

PoptartsNinja posted:

In this case I suspect ...! is the sound of the sharp, desperate intake of breath Jade had to take after spouting all that bullshit without pausing to take a breath.

Jade just horribly abuses ellipses and dashes, thankfully. She doesn't (as far as I've seen) use the "...!".

The specific place we're referring to was in the stuff from Eclair in the ~divergent maid path~.

inthesto posted:

Alright -- time for a real challenge. I've been holding back this question! Final round, commence...!

Rinoka fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 10, 2016

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

anilEhilated posted:

Don't take this the wrong way but you're extremely sheltered. Are you familiar with "Furry Conventions"?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Maybe they're not sheltered, just not very 'internet-educated' for lack of a better word. If you don't spend a lot of time on the Internet, there's a lot of stuff you could miss out on, and not just subculture stuff.

Rinoka
Sep 15, 2012

Is this hope...?
...No! That's wrong!

anilEhilated posted:

CommissarMega posted:

Maybe they're not sheltered, just not very 'internet-educated' for lack of a better word. If you don't spend a lot of time on the Internet, there's a lot of stuff you could miss out on, and not just subculture stuff.

To just add here, I got curious, and wanted to supply this. Because. Well. This is educational.

According to Klace's wikifur (no, I don't recommend you click that link, just trust me), written by Klace for Klace with minor edits from actual wiki editors, he's gotten 2 fursuits: one from LazyLeopard, and then a partial one from Battitude Studios. LazyLeopard is entirely quote based, with no listed prices, so I can't really even guess how much he spent there. But hey, let's look at Battitude Studios!

:staredog:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

:staredog: indeed; where do furries get this kind of money? I mean, I'm as much of a shut-in as those guys, but I have nowhere near that kind of cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

CommissarMega posted:

:staredog: indeed; where do furries get this kind of money? I mean, I'm as much of a shut-in as those guys, but I have nowhere near that kind of cash.

If you have absolutely nothing else you spend money on because you have nothing else in your life and no other hobbies (and live alone) you'd be astonished how much money people can come up with for stuff like that. Same as all those anime shut-ins.

• Locked thread