Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Awesome, thanks guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Quick question about flashcarts:

I don't have access to a PC right now, so I'm stuck with my laptop, which only has a microSD slot. The card came with a microSD to SD adapter, so I'm curious if anyone has ever used that setup on a flashcart? I'm probably going to get the Super Everdrive just because I'm completely new to this whole thing and I highly doubt I'd get much use out of any of the extra functionality that the more expensive options might have, but I want to make sure I'd even be able to download games in the first place.

Is there any reason the flashcart would do something weird if I downloaded stuff onto a microSD card, put that in the adapter, and then put the adapter into the cart instead of a standard SD card?

It shouldn't be an issue, other than potential flashcart finickiness about SD cards and the like that has been known to pop up "just because". Just make sure you properly format the card (use a program like SDFormatter, maybe), and that you use a good quality adapter, and it shouldn't that big an issue.

If your laptop has a USB port (particularly one that is USB 3.0), you could also pick up something like this Transcend SD card reader:

https://www.amazon.com/Transcend-microSDHC-Reader-TS-RDF5K-Black/dp/B009D79VH4/

And write both SD and microSD. Just make sure you get a legitimate Everdrive, not a "China Version" or whatever.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Charles Get-Out posted:

Now you just need cables for your other consoles. Oh, and mods for the ones that don't output native RGB. Oh, and a nice SCART switch so you don't have to continually switch your plugs.
I've done all of those except the last one (and it's taking a lot of restraint to not drop the coin on that, too). :retrogames:

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Xenomrph posted:

I've done all of those except the last one (and it's taking a lot of restraint to not drop the coin on that, too). :retrogames:

I really want a Lotharek Hydra, but it being more expensive than any other single piece of my retro kit is holding me back.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Found Wild Guns for less than the cost of a repro of Wild Guns.

I've had it on the Wii VC for a while but this is the first time I noticed the VS mode and I played it and the CPU kicked my rear end.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

lol europe

sure is an interesting selection of systems used to advertise an RGB gaming accessory, though the SNES instead of a megadrive as the single console is mystifying

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
This hobby piques my curiosity. With emulators, what draws you to it? Is it kind of like vinyl records?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

d0s posted:

sure is an interesting selection of systems used to advertise an RGB gaming accessory, though the SNES instead of a megadrive as the single console is mystifying

Lotharek mainly devs and sells stuff for computers, floppy replacement drives, hard disk replacements, sound upgrades, expansion ports, etc. The SNES on his Hydra ad is the first time I've ever seen a reference to consoles on his site.

Even getting him to care about anything beyond Ataris and Amigas took a long while; the floppy emulator firmware only had full MSX support patched in super recently, ~5 years after he started selling them.

beergod posted:

This hobby piques my curiosity. With emulators, what draws you to it? Is it kind of like vinyl records?

I'm pretty sure this thread is largely for the super crazies who have found emulators lacking.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 9, 2016

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

Charles Get-Out posted:

Lotharek mainly devs and sells stuff for computers, floppy replacement drives, hard disk replacements, sound upgrades, expansion ports, etc. The SNES on his Hydra ad is the first time I've ever seen a reference to consoles on his site.

Even getting him to care about anything beyond Ataris and Amigas took a long while; the floppy emulator firmware only had full MSX support patched in super recently, ~5 years after he started selling them.

I'm pretty sure this thread is largely for the super crazies who have found emulators lacking.

But what is lacking about them? That's what interests me.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

beergod posted:

The OP of this thread posted:

This is a thread about old console and arcade video games. Some computer talk happens here but if you want to get deep into that this thread is probably a better place for it. "Retro games" at the moment are generally accepted to be games that predate the 360/PS3 era, but nobody's going to care if you want to tell us about an awesome PS3 game you found.

A lot of people in this hobby like playing games on their original hardware for various reasons, whether it's accuracy, nostalgia, or simply the fun of tinkering with old electronics. Some people don't really care about all that and stick to emulation, which for most systems is good enough these days. Most of the people in this thread tend to use real hardware and you'll see a lot of discussion about it, don't let it discourage you if you only use emulators, you're still playing the same games.

There are various clone systems out there, licensed or unlicensed copies of old consoles. They all have accuracy issues. If you care enough to ask if you should get a clone, you probably shouldn't get a clone.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Well I guess good gameplay and aesthetics are timeless. Just like old good music is still good. Playing on the original hardware is satisfying and emulation isn't 100% accurate.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I was paranoid about roms and stuff and bought games here and there and before I knew it I had built a corner of my apartment into a retro game station.

I also collect vinyl. And some sports things. I hate money.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

beergod posted:

Oh, I misread your question. But yeah, what Monitor Burn quoted. I think the most common reason would be that emulators can be inaccurate in small and large ways, while original hardware definitely won't be unless something is hosed with your setup or machine. Sound can be weird, graphics can be weird, timing can be weird, and only a few systems have hardware-accurate emulators available with those emulators taking pretty beefy PCs to run reliably. Second most common reason would probably be that nebulous satisfaction playing on OG hardware gives some people, myself included.

Personally, my retro consoles are a mix of systems that don't emulate well or are a big pain in the rear end to emulate and I only collect for 5 (lol only) anyways so it doesn't take a ton of space.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

beergod posted:

people have different reasons:

1. collectors - these dudes just like collecting video games as if they were baseball cards and go for complete games and care about things like condition and rarity and would pay a lot of money for even a completely terrible game if it was rare or sealed or whatever. I don't understand these people.

2. nostalgics - they just want to play the games they did as a kid, the same way they did as a kid, usually on a CRT TV with the real console. they may "collect" games but usually only games they like or have good memories of and usually don't really care about the condition as much, they just like having the real thing and the ritual of playing old games the way they did back then.

3. hardware freaks - they like tinkering, they care about things like RGB modding, mod chips, etc. they may be into arcade hardware, old computers, other things that you have to be a little more technical to get running. they're like the modern equivalent of that dad you know who messes with old radios or whatever. they like expensive displays or scalers because old games look rad on them. a lot of them like the "piracy" angle and use flash carts or other ways to get the games running on their hardware

4. skilled players - they like the challenge of old games, these are your scorers, superplayers, speedruners, etc. they may not prefer emulators because of accuracy issues/lag but some don't care

5. normal people who just like old games - they play on consoles or emulators and they are part of the hobby as well

e: obviously you can be one or more of these, I'm 2&3 and 4 when it comes to some things

d0s fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Dec 9, 2016

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

also I guarantee you that every person with a bunch of real hardware is also emulating like crazy because it's an amazing way to learn about new stuff to play, and when you're constantly switching back and forth the drawbacks of emulation become really clear. it's not really something of "oh I'm above emulation so I don't touch it", I like the real thing because I use emulation so much

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Discount Viscount posted:

Found Wild Guns for less than the cost of a repro of Wild Guns.

I've had it on the Wii VC for a while but this is the first time I noticed the VS mode and I played it and the CPU kicked my rear end.

The PS4 version will be out before xmas, for those who didn't know or haven't been keeping tabs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AEHvoqG_OI

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

My PS1 collection came from not having a PS1 of my own as a kid. In Europe too there's the 50hz thing that emulators rarely deal with. Like I'm so used to playing certain games at 50hz that I struggle with them at 60. The actual controller part is another thing as I don't want to have a dozen USB converters lying around.

I do emulation as well for stuff older than the PS1 and N64 since 16-bit collecting is a hole I don't want to start throwing money into.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

njsykora posted:

since 16-bit collecting is a hole I don't want to start throwing money into.

just get a flash cart

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

d0s posted:

also I guarantee you that every person with a bunch of real hardware is also emulating like crazy because it's an amazing way to learn about new stuff to play, and when you're constantly switching back and forth the drawbacks of emulation become really clear. it's not really something of "oh I'm above emulation so I don't touch it", I like the real thing because I use emulation so much

Exactly, I was sold on real hardware after years of emulation and not having to fiddle with filters, controller inputs, clock speed, etc. Its nice to have something just work instead of spending more time trying to fix the sound than playing the game. Plus a lot of people have at least one old console sitting in storage and its a good opportunity to set it up again.

Monitor Burn fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Dec 9, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm this close to pulling my old N64 out of storage when I go visit my parents over Christmas, even though I'm well aware that at least one controller is busted and the other won't be looking much better after all this time, that most games I have are frankly a bit poo poo and that even if I did get a flashcart, I'd barely play the thing and just wonder why I spent so much cash on a flashcart.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If I was gonna get a flash card it'd be either for the N64 or Turbografx. Emulation is good enough for me for the SNES and Mega Drive.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I got completely burnt out with the game collecting aspect of this hobby. I sold my original games, but kept the consoles and bought flashcarts and started using backups for CD-based consoles. It kinda revitalized my gaming, since I have less time nowadays and I can just quickly pop something on when I want, without having to worry about paying hundreds of €'s and worry about condition. I feel like I started to take collecting games too much as collector items instead of .. games. I still want to sit on my sofa alone or with friends, in front of my PVM and play on original hardware using original controllers, but otherwise I think I found the right solution for myself. (that said, I might still pick up a few original games that are my absolute all-time favourites.)

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The PS4 version will be out before xmas, for those who didn't know or haven't been keeping tabs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AEHvoqG_OI

Yeah I thought it was a fun coincidence that I bought the game and then the release date for Reloaded finally dropped within 24 hours.

I really love what they've done with that. It looks just like the SNES game in your memory but if you look at them side-by-side there's a definite upgrade. And the additions all look great. It has the potential to be the rare remake to all but usurp the original.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

TeaJay posted:

I got completely burnt out with the game collecting aspect of this hobby. I sold my original games, but kept the consoles and bought flashcarts and started using backups for CD-based consoles. It kinda revitalized my gaming, since I have less time nowadays and I can just quickly pop something on when I want, without having to worry about paying hundreds of €'s and worry about condition. I feel like I started to take collecting games too much as collector items instead of .. games. I still want to sit on my sofa alone or with friends, in front of my PVM and play on original hardware using original controllers, but otherwise I think I found the right solution for myself. (that said, I might still pick up a few original games that are my absolute all-time favourites.)

I'm trying to do the same. I've been downsizing my collection by asking myself if I'm ever going to play a particular game again and, if no, off to sale it goes.

I still like original boxes and manuals and I'm probably going to end up with a bookshelf or so of retro stuff, but I don't think I ever want one of those massive game room collections people advertise on youtube. I just can't imagine I'd find time to play anything with a set up like that.

BrownClown
Dec 7, 2007

Will rap for smash leaks

d0s posted:

2. nostalgics - they just want to play the games they did as a kid, the same way they did as a kid, usually on a CRT TV with the real console. they may "collect" games but usually only games they like or have good memories of and usually don't really care about the condition as much, they just like having the real thing and the ritual of playing old games the way they did back then.

3. hardware freaks - they like tinkering, they care about things like RGB modding, mod chips, etc. they may be into arcade hardware, old computers, other things that you have to be a little more technical to get running. they're like the modern equivalent of that dad you know who messes with old radios or whatever. they like expensive displays or scalers because old games look rad on them. a lot of them like the "piracy" angle and use flash carts or other ways to get the games running on their hardware

Yea, this is me, number 2 specifically.

I've been a bit interested in the hardware side, watching videos and reading up on RGB. Then I saw a PVM on craigslist, saw what it looked like in person (holy poo poo, Super Metroid looked amazing), and now I've thrown a bunch of money at hardware stuff...

Charles Get-Out posted:

I'm trying to do the same. I've been downsizing my collection by asking myself if I'm ever going to play a particular game again and, if no, off to sale it goes.

I still like original boxes and manuals and I'm probably going to end up with a bookshelf or so of retro stuff, but I don't think I ever want one of those massive game room collections people advertise on youtube. I just can't imagine I'd find time to play anything with a set up like that.

and I'm also downsizing my collection, in part to fund the new hardware and also to avoid the hoarding aspect of game collection.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

beergod posted:

Sorta. There's something to be said for having a physical game with its manual and packaging. Maybe you think NES cartridges are neat. Maybe you like the manual for Guilty Gear (designed/written by Nick Rox!) or the cover art for King's Knight (which is the best thing about that game). There's more to a video game than the ROM, and it's fun to look through the packaging and get a sense of a different era, just as you might page through a dog-eared issue of Nintendo Power or GameFan.

That was the appeal back when the typical old video game cost less than a new CD. Once the hobby became stupidly expensive, I couldn't justify keeping so many high-priced toys. Now my game library consists of just my favorites, new stuff that can't be emulated properly, and a few titles that aren't worth much but hold some fascination for me. But hey, maybe Fester's Quest will be worth a cool million someday.

I'm fine with emulation most of the time. Flashcarts seem pointless and expensive, but that’s probably just my old collector mentality of viewing anything over $20 as a ripoff.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Flashcart with the entire library of a system's games = $

Entire library of carts = $texas, more if you're insane and want Stadium Events.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I sold all my PSX, Gamecube, and Gameboy stuff last year because I needed money for food and gas. All I have left is my PS3, 3DS, and PC. The only physical copies of games I have are my copies are no younger than 2000.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

XYZ posted:

Flashcart with the entire library of a system's games = $

Entire library of carts = $texas, more if you're insane and want Stadium Events.

Emulation = free, but you have to delete the ROMs within 24 hours and then download them again from TenchiMaxwell's Awesome NES Page.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Me, I'm one of the resident collectors / nostalgia junkies / competitive players. Please don't make the mistake of thinking I got all this stuff post bubble, this is about 30 years of accumulated games.

And yes, I still emulate. And have terrible taste.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Caitlin posted:

Me, I'm one of the resident collectors / nostalgia junkies / competitive players. Please don't make the mistake of thinking I got all this stuff post bubble, this is about 30 years of accumulated games.

I like your gameboy rainbow. Are those Famicom carts that are also rainbow organized behind all your amiibo's?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

d0s posted:

just get a flash cart

Then still throw even more money at games, because now you want all the ones you never played before.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Charles Get-Out posted:

I like your gameboy rainbow. Are those Famicom carts that are also rainbow organized behind all your amiibo's?

Yes, yes they are. I would like to put the amiibos on their own floating shelf (I have a friend who has made stands for his own use which I intend to capitalize on) but I have had issues mounting the floating shelves by myself and frankly need someone to help me do it, so until then they live in front of my glorious Famicom rainbow. :sigh:

I did talk to Dr. Spitesworth about that very subject though~ :sax:

http://www.retronauts.com/?p=1426

Also I just added what I think is actually an ice blue GBC but I have to retrobrite it because the front is hella yellow.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

Caitlin posted:

If it makes you feel any better, Sailor Jupiter was my sister's favorite Sailor Moon character

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kid Fenris posted:

Emulation = free, but you have to delete the ROMs within 24 hours and then download them again from TenchiMaxwell's Awesome NES Page.

I knew someone who waited twenty-five hours to delete his ROMs. He was sent to jail and the judge banned him from using emulators for twenty years.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Random Stranger posted:

I knew someone who waited twenty-five hours to delete his ROMs. He was sent to jail and the judge banned him from using emulators for twenty years.

Well, yeah, gently caress that guy. The rules apply to everyone.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Kid Fenris posted:

If it makes you feel any better, Sailor Jupiter was my sister's favorite Sailor Moon character

Huh, I didn't realize I was your sister until now.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

d0s posted:

This is mostly where I'm at. I didn't even really consider what I was doing "collecting," I just kept all the stuff I had from the NES on up, and added significantly more to it around the late '90s when it turned out I could buy entire (small-ish) collections of NES and 16-bit games for next to nothing from peers that wanted to buy whatever the latest Squaresoft RPG was or whatever. At no point did I ever sell off all my game stuff and then jump back into "retro gaming" a few years ago; I'm just a horrible hoarder.

I find the hardware RGB modding stuff fascinating, but not enough that I want to invest heavily into it. Nor do I really dabble with emulators anymore or use flashcarts. I owned so many games across several console by the end of the '00s (and before prices started spiraling out of control) that I never felt the need to go into those methods, though if I had to start from scratch at this point, I'd just get a flashcart.

I do have weird "collection goals" but it's weird stuff like "get all the first-party/Nintendo of America-published games on a console" which in the case of consoles like the N64 or SNES is basically "get all the good games and a few bad ones I guess." I finally did this with the NES last month when I got a copy of Donkey Kong Jr. Math so I can say I'm done with that platform at this point. Still wanna get Kirby's Dream Land 3 on the SNES.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Code Jockey posted:

Huh, I didn't realize I was your sister until now.

Jupiter is the best Sailor Scout. Them Mercury fans can't be trusted.

I mostly emulate because it's usually an easier and usually better experience. I can't much tell the difference because I've never been some frame counting type. And spending money to make rf out machines look what my more modern machines do natively for free seems silly. Plus who the hell wants to actually play games with an Intellivision or Colecovision controller? Especially when a Madcatz TF4 TE stick is about. Computers with 1 button joysticks? Mods for translation patches? rear end in a top hat 80s games without save points or doing the kind of bullshit many CRPGs pulled?

I love owning legit games but I tend to have a price cap which is around 30 shipped for even the most sought after game new or old. Owning physical games gives me more incentive to buy less and play more with what I already own. Like having just gotten a ps4 it's making me want to play the games and not hoard them. Even if Bloodborne tends to make me yell more often than I did playing NFL 2k5....

Everyone has their own needs though. I like being able to play Super Robot Wars games on breaks at work. Some folks need their CRTs with scan lines n poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

When he got out did he join a surprisingly progressive hacker collective and have to combat Fisher Stevens?

EDIT: also Angelina Jolie was there

• Locked thread