Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ehh. Not much style to it.

e: Sorry, new page!

It feels so weird, them cribbing from Miles Morales, but that's our lovely nerd actually read comic people problem.

\/

TFRazorsaw posted:

I can see it with Ned and Ganke, but how is Peter cribbing Miles?

By him having a Ganke.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

I feel a little uncomfortable they are clearly just doing Miles and Ganke but replacing them with Peter and Ned Leeds of all people.

The film looks good but that's sort of a "eeeh" moment.

He's written pretty much like a teenaged Peter would act like in 2016.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Holy poo poo, they're She's All Thating MJ.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Kind of an odd choice to have Spidey take out the entire Avengers team in the first 30 seconds of the trailer, but otherwise that looks really fun.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
They're not going to be able to escape from the Ganke comparisons, unfortunately.

It's not going to stop me from murdering someone to be the first to see this film, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

He's written pretty much like a teenaged Peter would act like in 2016.

He's also written to how most teenagers would act in 2016 and giving him Ganke as a best friend doesn't change that. (And yes, it was obviously written as Ganke and they chose a random Spider-Man character name out of a hat.)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't think they're really trying to stop the Ganke comparisons. Nor should they. Ganke is a great character and there's never going to be a Miles Morales film so why not use basically the same character but with a different name? At least that means the idea will be used and not just cast away. I mean on the slim chance we ever do see a Miles Morales movie years from now (we won't but we'll pretend for the sake of discussion) just give him a different supporting cast member. Like Lana. Or hell, even Gwen since it seems as if Liz Allan is taking the Gwen spot in this version.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-O posted:

there's never going to be a Miles Morales film so why not use basically the same character but with a different name?

Holy poo poo, did you really say this?

That's extremely loving awful. "Well, we know they'll never make a film about the black kids, so why not just give all his stuff to the white kid."

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ImpAtom posted:

That's extremely loving awful. "Well, we know they'll never make a film about the black kids, so why not just give all his stuff to the white kid."

I'm talking about the character of Ganke, not Miles. There's no reason not to use Ganke. He's a character in his own right, he doesn't belong to Miles.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-O posted:

I'm talking about the character of Ganke, not Miles. There's no reason not to use Ganke. He's a character in his own right, he doesn't belong to Miles.

Bullshit. He's Miles best friend and absolutely heavily connected to the character.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I assumed they based Ned off of his Spectacular incarnation and aged him down and the similarities to Ganke were coincidental.

But I guess that is a bit naive.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm not saying he's not connected to Miles, that would be a dumb asssertion. But he's a fully realized character on his own and doesn't have to be packaged with one other character exclusively. Especially in these films which draw inspiration from all different eras and runs and combine them. A good character is a good character and can be inserted into whatever story you want as long as it works.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

X-O posted:

he's a fully realized character on his own and doesn't have to be packaged with one other character exclusively.

Just in another character.

It wouldn't be half as weird if they just straight up called him Genki. Even if he still became Hobgoblin or whatever.

e: Like, it's not the world's most horrible crime, just super weird.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Dec 9, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, the only thing I have even a small quibble about is that they just probably should have called him Ganke. Maybe they are making a bit of a nod to Spectacular Spider-Man, their Liz Allan definitely seems to be a nod to that as well.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

They're not going to make a Spider-man film that's not about Peter Parker.

And by the time I'm proven wrong about this (for what it's worth I would like to be), most of this thread will be dead from old age.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Ultimate Marvel Cinematic Universe in 2028 is gonna be sweet.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, I wish they'd make a Miles movie. But they won't. For the same reason they'd never make a Batman movie where Dick Grayson was Batman. Because in popular culture now Peter Parker is Spider-Man and that's just that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-O posted:

I'm not saying he's not connected to Miles, that would be a dumb asssertion. But he's a fully realized character on his own and doesn't have to be packaged with one other character exclusively. Especially in these films which draw inspiration from all different eras and runs and combine them. A good character is a good character and can be inserted into whatever story you want as long as it works.

He doesn't have to be but that doesn't change the fact that what it is doing is taking a character strongly associated with Miles and giving it to Peter under the thinnest of veils. It ends up, intentionally or not, being a case of "Well, this is a really good idea when the hero is a young black boy, wouldn't it be better when it was a young white boy?"

And going "Well, they'll never make a Miles movie" doesn't make it better. If anything it makes it way shittier.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Teenage Fansub posted:

The Ultimate Marvel Cinematic Universe in 2028 is gonna be sweet.

It would be funny if they made Nick Fury white in the Ultimate MCU.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ImpAtom posted:

It ends up, intentionally or not, being a case of "Well, this is a really good idea when the hero is a young black boy, wouldn't it be better when it was a young white boy?"

I don't think anyone really thinks that this was the thought process at all. That process was probably "Hey I like this character, we'll use him" and there probably wasn't a bit of thought on the matter outside of that.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

X-O posted:

they'd never make a Batman movie where Dick Grayson was Batman

Just watch the end of DKR and drift off, dreaming it up :)

e: Great. I just got mad at that movie showing Bruce and Selina in that cafe all over again.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Dec 9, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-O posted:

I don't think anyone really thinks that this was the thought process at all. That process was probably "Hey I like this character, we'll use him" and there probably wasn't a bit of thought on the matter outside of that.

No, I think that is exactly the thought process. I would not be surprised if this film has a lot of traces of Miles in the version of Peter. I would not be at all surprised if his relationship with Tony Stark carries echoes of how Miles ended up gifted costumes/webslingers/ect rather than creating them himself for example.

I think it's crappy and I don't think "Well, they probably didn't think about it, gosh darn they just wanted to use this fun character" sounds like an excuse. Especially when they're calling him Ned Leeds instead of Ganke.

Edit: It's not like the end of the world but it just kind of highlights the depressing fact that they clearly think that Miles' story has a lot of good ideas but are unwilling to use Miles or, hell, even to cast someone who isn't white as Peter Parker.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 9, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I have to be honest, this conversation is starting to look like way over analyzing the use of a character, and I'm generally not one to criticize people for doing that with regards to these issues.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just watch the end of DKR and drift off, dreaming it up :)

e: Great. I just got mad at that movie showing Bruce and Selina in that cafe all over again.

I keep thinking of Dick putting the suit on but it's two sizes too big. :3:

Watch Return of the Caped Crusaders.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I feel like I'd be way madder about them stealing ganke if miles' comic was any good at this point

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

Edit: It's not like the end of the world but it just kind of highlights the depressing fact that they clearly think that Miles' story has a lot of good ideas but are unwilling to use Miles or, hell, even to cast someone who isn't white as Peter Parker.

This I can agree with, it's the one thing I like about the DCEU is that they're willing to cast non-white actors as traditionally white characters.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roth posted:

I have to be honest, this conversation is starting to look like way over analyzing the use of a character, and I'm generally not one to criticize people for doing that with regards to these issues.

You mean you don't think we should all assume that the makers of this movie were just cackling in glee about how well their plan to steal the black kid's best friend went

ImpAtom posted:

I honestly think that casting a black kid and just giving him the Miles story and calling him Peter would've been way worse than whatever you're going on about with Ganke.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The thing about Miles is I think to tell his story right you need to have Peter have come first. Without the whole "can I live up to being Spider-man" thing going on he's basically a different character.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/LetsRabbit/status/807093509182418944

Tony Stark is giving Peter Parker his ex's old clothes. Maybe the box Tony sends him isn't a new suit, but a red wig and a hotel key...

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Is Tony at the point where he's having regrets about not having a kid?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-O posted:

I honestly think that casting a black kid and just giving him the Miles story and calling him Peter would've been way worse than whatever you're going on about with Ganke.

I'm willing to bet you can't actually back that up. How would it be 'worse'? Because a young black actor would get a chance at a major leading role? That young black kids would get to see someone like them be the hero instead of universally the sidekick to white heroes or a single African prince?

The argument that they'll never do a MIles movie is "well, everyone knows Peter Parker is Spider-Man." So fine. I'm taking that as a given. If they can't possible make a Spider-Man movie about a character not named Peter Parker then you've got pretty limited choices, don't you?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

What would you like us to do about it, exactly

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Isn't Sony making an animated Miles movie? Or did I dream and read a fake news site?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Trailer looks good though vulture's presence in the film felt kinda dropped in quickly at the end there

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Isn't Sony making an animated Miles movie? Or did I dream and read a fake news site?

There was a rumor about that earlier this year but it was never backed up unless I missed something new.

site posted:

Trailer looks good though vulture's presence in the film felt kinda dropped in quickly at the end there

The CGI for the Vulture is probably way early on and they don't have a lot of scenes they can use yet.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
They're going to have to knock every single aspect of the Vulture out of the park for me.

I just don't care for the villain, personally.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

There was a rumor about that earlier this year but it was never backed up unless I missed something new.

The CGI for the Vulture is probably way early on and they don't have a lot of scenes they can use yet.

On that note, it looked like they reused the helicopter jump shot in the trailer? Did I hallucinate that?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

On that note, it looked like they reused the helicopter jump shot in the trailer? Did I hallucinate that?

They kinda did. The trailer has an 'opening' which starts with it and then it is naturally cut into the trailer itself. The trailer in theaters won't have the opening so it'll only be in there once.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ImpAtom posted:

I'm willing to bet you can't actually back that up. How would it be 'worse'? Because a young black actor would get a chance at a major leading role? That young black kids would get to see someone like them be the hero instead of universally the sidekick to white heroes or a single African prince?

The argument that they'll never do a MIles movie is "well, everyone knows Peter Parker is Spider-Man." So fine. I'm taking that as a given. If they can't possible make a Spider-Man movie about a character not named Peter Parker then you've got pretty limited choices, don't you?

I think our lines are crossing here. If you want to make Peter black and him still be everything we know as Peter that's fine and good. There's no problem with that at all and I'd be fine with it. Sure you'll make the racists mad, but anytime you make them mad that's a net positive in my view. Most sane people wouldn't care if Peter was a black kid instead. Though you do completely 100% remove the chance of there ever being a Miles eventually that way but that's fine in this case I suppose. But if you want to take everything we know about Miles (lives with his mom and dad, his dad knows his secret, his uncle is his first enemy) and just call him Peter instead of Miles solely because that's the name everyone knows, then that's where it gets dicey because you don't really please anyone this way. The people that want Miles are pissed because he's not really Miles, and then people that want Peter are pissed because he's Peter in name only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Shinjobi posted:

They're going to have to knock every single aspect of the Vulture out of the park for me.

I just don't care for the villain, personally.

I have faith in Michael Keaton.

• Locked thread