Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I am sad that Dex is leaving, but the Cardinals having to pay a Matheny tax for free agents is a delightful development

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

gonna get a #24 TRADER jersey

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

So Cubs get a 1st round pick from the Cards? New CBA wouldn't count yet.

Which reminds me, that has to help Arrieta's value a bit next offseason.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
For real though Fowler's game 7 WS lead off HR will live eternal and I hope the dude absolutely owns as a Cardinal. Maybe not as much against the Cubs, but against everyone else feel free to be the OBP machine you're destined to be :shobon:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Niwrad posted:

So Cubs get a 1st round pick from the Cards? New CBA wouldn't count yet.

Which reminds me, that has to help Arrieta's value a bit next offseason.

They get a pick after the first round and the Cardinals lose their pick.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

I would have thought he'd be playing in Japan or Korea.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The Jays payroll hasn't gone down though.

Standing still in payroll is basically going down though. Not to mention the jays signings so far are all pretty much big downgrades yet still cost money.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Every report has the Jays payroll climbing by about 10 million over last year to between 160-165 million.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Every report has the Jays payroll climbing by about 10 million over last year to between 160-165 million.

And yet we have gone from Encarnacion -> Morales .. Bautista -> Upton Jr .... Saunders -> Carerra ... Cecil -> Loup .

I guess Pearce is an ok pickup?

We are a huge market. One of the top 5 or so in the entire league. We just had a giant increase of revenue in the past two years with attendance and TV viewership skyrocketting. They have somewhere between 300-600 million new money over past year or two. And that might be way too conservative (its likely much higher since the Jays tv deal is with their own media network, so the advertising dollars are direct and not double dipped). Spend some of it. More of it. Right now we are going to be the 2nd or 3rd best team in the division.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

R.D. Mangles posted:

I will forever treasure heyward and his $180 million pep talk and he can hit .150 for the rest of his cubs career and i will never ever complain

He has an 80 speech tool for sure. But I find it funny how he had probably his very worst AB of the year immediately afterwards. Good lord was that a brutal AB.

Also dangit. Now I have to hate Dex and I don't want to.

Good luck, Dex. As much luck as you can have to where it doesn't negatively affect the Cubs. You are my least hated Cardinal.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i just hope dex doesn't go Full Theriot

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

patonthebach posted:

And yet we have gone from Encarnacion -> Morales .. Bautista -> Upton Jr .... Saunders -> Carerra ... Cecil -> Loup .

I guess Pearce is an ok pickup?

We are a huge market. One of the top 5 or so in the entire league. We just had a giant increase of revenue in the past two years with attendance and TV viewership skyrocketting. They have somewhere between 300-600 million new money over past year or two. And that might be way too conservative (its likely much higher since the Jays tv deal is with their own media network, so the advertising dollars are direct and not double dipped). Spend some of it. More of it. Right now we are going to be the 2nd or 3rd best team in the division.

The offseason isn't over my dude.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/bradfo/status/807090113998188544

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

R.D. Mangles posted:

i just hope dex doesn't go Full Theriot

You never go Full Theriot

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Rand alPaul posted:

I would have thought he'd be playing in Japan or Korea.

He had disc issues in his back.

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
Reading this thread, I just wonder what it's like to have your team do anything meaningful in the offseason. It must be neat :allears:

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
If the deal is final I wish Fowler great personal success and even greater professional failure.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mexican Radio posted:

Reading this thread, I just wonder what it's like to have your team do anything meaningful in the offseason. It must be neat :allears:

My team just made a panic move to get Adam Eaton and it feels bad, in fact

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Nationals should have just paid Fowler that money and kept their prospects.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's a shame the Cubs wouldn't pay Fowler because I'd love to have him back. On the other hand though in 2017 the Cubs lose Arrieta, Lackey, Strop, Davis, and Uehara, and Hendricks, Bryant, Russell, and Baez all enter arb. There's just no goddamn room for any major signings.

The 2017-2018 off season spending spree is going to be a sight to behold.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Fowler is a cool player and I hope he makes the Cardinals less uncool.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Niwrad posted:

Yeah I really don't get how he only had the supposed 2 offers from the Cards/Jays. I figured he was one of the bigger gets this offseason.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

howe_sam posted:

Treat Koji well Chicago, he is a cool dude.

I am excited to have one of my fav RPs on my team!

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

AsInHowe posted:

He had disc issues in his back.

Oh yeah I forgot about that.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

R.D. Mangles posted:

i was also being completely sincere, i don't give a poo poo if the cubs ever win another baseball game for the rest of my life

The monkey paw closes

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

The offseason isn't over my dude.

Ah yes, we will still probably add Revere and a pitcher missing three fingers as reclamation projects.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Niwrad posted:

Yeah but then they would have had an offensively talented but defensively challenged centerfielder instead of ... :smith:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

CubsWoo posted:

If the deal is final I wish Fowler great personal success and even greater professional failure.

It just sucks I have to hate him now. Dex is a good guy who sold his soul to the devil.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Sydin posted:

It's a shame the Cubs wouldn't pay Fowler because I'd love to have him back. On the other hand though in 2017 the Cubs lose Arrieta, Lackey, Strop, Davis, and Uehara, and Hendricks, Bryant, Russell, and Baez all enter arb. There's just no goddamn room for any major signings.

The 2017-2018 off season spending spree is going to be a sight to behold.

Do you think we let Davis walk?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

CubsWoo posted:

Yeah

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Your Taint posted:

It just sucks I have to hate him now. Dex is a good guy who sold his soul to the devil.

You don't have to hate him. He can just be someone whose team you want to see losing often.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
May he stay as good of a player as he was for us. While his team sucks and loses a bunch of games. See Mike Trout.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I will cheer for him every time I see him, idgaf

He's gonna look really weird in red though.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Your Taint posted:

Do you think we let Davis walk?

If he wants the kind of money he'd get in the current market, they would be smart to let him walk to save that money for Bryce Harper.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I think Fowler is A Cool Dude, but I'm not that high on him to be honest. I'm glad the Cardinals paid a bunch of money instead of dishing out prospects for say, Charlie Blackmon, though.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

patonthebach posted:

Ah yes, we will still probably add Revere and a pitcher missing three fingers as reclamation projects.

Fewer fingers makes you a better pitcher, as evidenced by comparing the careers of Mordecai Brown and Antonio Alfonseca.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
The first batter of the 2016 Cubs season was Dexter Fowler, and he could be the first batter we face in 2017.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Fewer fingers makes you a better pitcher, as evidenced by comparing the careers of Mordecai Brown and Antonio Alfonseca.

And Jim Abbott

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It warms my heart so much to see that the Cardinals have to overpay players to go play for them nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'm content that Dex got paid. Now may Kyle Hendricks doom him to weak contact for all eternity amen.

• Locked thread