Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

SageAcrin posted:

This isn't a bad banner at all-it has some distinctive stuff(The OSB is the only multitarget one as of JP, the Bursts are fantastic and Relm's is one of the best in general for survival) that those banners lack.

If you're doing it for Runic specifically, though, something interesting to look at is FF5's first upcoming banner-has an OSB on Gilgamesh(which isn't very good, but is on Gilgamesh), two really great Bursts for Krile and Galuf, Sheepsong, Dorgann's Boostga/Faithga, Trueblade, Galuf's weird invinco SSB, then the shared "booby prizes" are Moore Branch(Exdeath's Runic) and Bartz's Cloak(Bartz Enwind, +wind damage).

Not sure how much those are worth to you given your list is pretty specific, but it's worth mentioning since I'm currently trying to decide which I want to go for. Probably the FF5 one, though; While I need FF6 synergy more, I am dying for a Faithga. Cerberus Shell is getting old.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Don't discount Leo's SSB on this banner either. It's got the cool feature of adjusting its damage output based on the number of targets so it's always going to do relevant damage whether you bring it to an AoE or a ST fight. To be more specific it does 480/540/600/750 potency to 4/3/2/1 targets respectively. The Imperil Holy is the cherry on top.

I picked up Runic in an old Lucky Draw and lucked out with Leo's SSB last night with the 100 gem pull. My VI relics are an old lot though, with everything dating back to summer/fall 2015 asides from Leo's sword and Terra's SSB hat. I'm fortunate enough to have been able to combine some Crystal Helms and Royal Crowns to provide sufficient stat boosts in the meantime. If a Mog item was on this banner I'd have already dropped 100+ mythril chasing it, but as it is I'm torn between "saving for future power-creep" and "ooh, unique-ish shiny items for characters from the first FF game I played".

In V I've managed to pick up BSBs for Bartz, Greg, and Faris via Festival/Lucky draws, plus a ton of non-SB armors, but you raise a good point with ExDeath offering a similar skill. Now that I think of it, my best FFV Mag relic is still a ++ Fire/Thunder Rod, so it would be a good thing to aim for regardless.

Thanks for the advice, it's super appreciated! This thread helps make this phone game more enjoyable than a lot of modern console stuff. :)

Edit: Has there been any substantive theorizing about when a FFXV event may arrive? I know that the simultaneous XIV event last fall was a surprise, so I also want to keep that possibility in mind when budgeting mythrils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Firion BSB makes Amandine a joke, bring an imperil holy and let all the Pecils murder her

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Don't discount Leo's SSB on this banner either. It's got the cool feature of adjusting its damage output based on the number of targets so it's always going to do relevant damage whether you bring it to an AoE or a ST fight. To be more specific it does 480/540/600/750 potency to 4/3/2/1 targets respectively. The Imperil Holy is the cherry on top.

I've been showing off his SSB in MP. :cool:

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
Now how much ATK outweighs the bonus elemental damage boost on some items? Can't figure out whether to use synergy or Pecil's Excalibur for his bsb.

All I got was Rosa's proshellga SB from the lucky draw... I probably won't ever use it til I get something useful for her.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

I was the Vivi/Penelo team here.

Whew, Amandine is no joke; she starts off easy enough but then phase 3 with her succubus adds kicks in and then there's damage coming in every couple seconds and then she Dark Mists and whoops your healers are stunned and it repeats.

The party I beat her with ended up being incredibly stacked for magical offense though; Sheepsong + Vessel of Fate + Evanescence? Mmm.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

superloosegoose posted:

Now how much ATK outweighs the bonus elemental damage boost on some items? Can't figure out whether to use synergy or Pecil's Excalibur for his bsb.

All I got was Rosa's proshellga SB from the lucky draw... I probably won't ever use it til I get something useful for her.

When atk/mag is above the soft cap, bonus to element shines.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Got wiped in the final phase of Ultimate MP because the support and healers decided to go all-out assault. :v:

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

superloosegoose posted:

Around 370, if using shout.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
MO is great for showing off imperil - enelement pairs, had someone in my raid run a Rikku - Tidus water team and it was well played :allears:

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Twice now I've been in MP groups that get the boss down low just to get locked down by chain paralyze. It's really frustrating to watch 8 people get taken down 400 hp at a time.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Galuf's invincible SSB is limited, since it doesn't work with anything else (he's invincible to EVERYTHING, including buffs, while it's active) but I've had a fair number of times where I've taken on a battle I'm not really ready for, manage to slug it out until the boss has just a little HP, Galuf goes invincible, the boss wipes out everyone, and then Galuf punches through that last little bit of HP and saves the day while the boss just whiffs on him. Of course, sometimes it runs out, and due to it's uniquely exclusive buff status, you can't renew it while he's invincible, so unless you get lucky and time it just right so he buffs himself before the boss's next move, Galuf just bites it. But when he comes through, it feels really dramatic and awesome. I got it before any buff/debuff/medica SBs and it carried a surprising amount of weight.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Galuf's invincible SSB is limited, since it doesn't work with anything else (he's invincible to EVERYTHING, including buffs, while it's active) but I've had a fair number of times where I've taken on a battle I'm not really ready for, manage to slug it out until the boss has just a little HP, Galuf goes invincible, the boss wipes out everyone, and then Galuf punches through that last little bit of HP and saves the day while the boss just whiffs on him. Of course, sometimes it runs out, and due to it's uniquely exclusive buff status, you can't renew it while he's invincible, so unless you get lucky and time it just right so he buffs himself before the boss's next move, Galuf just bites it. But when he comes through, it feels really dramatic and awesome. I got it before any buff/debuff/medica SBs and it carried a surprising amount of weight.

Galuf's SSB is actually really, really strong. There's a guy on Reddit who solos (sometimes he has to bring characters with Mako Might and Entrust if hit & run isn't an option) every U++ boss with Galuf. The posts are titled, appropriately enough, Galuf Solos Everything.

For those interested in that kind of thing, by the way, Golbez's BSB lets him solo a lot of bosses. Not nearly everything, but I've soloed a good 8 or 9 U/+/++ bosses with him in the last three months.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
Golbez's BSB is crazy. I want that thing.

Four hit Drain that hits at over Ja strength on someone who Sentinels at the start of the Burst. Such a nice Burst.

(Come to think, the drain's pretty similar to Dread Heal, that newish 5* darkness spell, isn't it? Though it has more hits.)

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
I'm already mourning the death of Anniversary Banner #2. That thing is :perfect:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

How do you guys decide how to prioritize your orbs? There are some orbs that I just don't use much outside of a few must-have skills, so saving up to hone those is easy enough, but there's other stuff where I have tons of skills competing for the same orbs and I'm honestly not sure how to decide which skills are more important.

It feels like generally speaking, you want skills that you use a lot at R3 minimum, but going from R4 to R5 seems like a luxury with a lot of them. Power orbs are a major chokepoint - almost every skill that I use often needs them. I've got 2 R3 Lifesiphons, R3 Dismissal, R3 Banishing Strike, R2 Halting Rumba, R2 Power Breakdown, and R3 Magic Breakdown that I use pretty frequently, and no idea which of those I should use my power orbs on first.

And some of the major orbs are tricky too; I've got Saint's Cross and Multibreak at R1, but I'm not sure which one to focus my major holy orbs on first. On the one hand I have a godly physical holy team and more Saint's Cross charges would be awesome, but on the other, Multibreak is invaluable in any multitarget fight and on a few (but definitely not all) occasions, I have wished I had more than 2 charges. But I also don't have a great character to use Multibreak on, since I have no SBs at all for Tyro somehow, and Faris can't use it until I dive her.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

I'm already mourning the death of Anniversary Banner #2. That thing is :perfect:

If we're talking about the 2nd anniversary banners, #4 is the really amazing one in my opinion. If you're talking about the festival we're about to get, banner 2 is good but I probably wouldn't pull on it. Having Apocalypse X and Razzmatazz in one set is great, but I think the Ogre is actually pretty weak as a BSB since Zidane can't exploit the imperil with the commands and Defender II just isn't very good. I think banner 1 is the best of JP's set personally, followed by 3.

But again, our banners won't look anything like theirs, so lusting after what they got is pointless. Though I do wonder if we'll get to vote on our own Ultros' Choice banner or if we'll just get Japan's. Hopefully we could get a better OSB than Apocalypse V on there... and selfishly I wouldn't vote for Excalibur IV since I already have it. :v:

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

How do you guys decide how to prioritize your orbs? There are some orbs that I just don't use much outside of a few must-have skills, so saving up to hone those is easy enough, but there's other stuff where I have tons of skills competing for the same orbs and I'm honestly not sure how to decide which skills are more important.

It feels like generally speaking, you want skills that you use a lot at R3 minimum, but going from R4 to R5 seems like a luxury with a lot of them. Power orbs are a major chokepoint - almost every skill that I use often needs them. I've got 2 R3 Lifesiphons, R3 Dismissal, R3 Banishing Strike, R2 Halting Rumba, R2 Power Breakdown, and R3 Magic Breakdown that I use pretty frequently, and no idea which of those I should use my power orbs on first.

And some of the major orbs are tricky too; I've got Saint's Cross and Multibreak at R1, but I'm not sure which one to focus my major holy orbs on first. On the one hand I have a godly physical holy team and more Saint's Cross charges would be awesome, but on the other, Multibreak is invaluable in any multitarget fight and on a few (but definitely not all) occasions, I have wished I had more than 2 charges. But I also don't have a great character to use Multibreak on, since I have no SBs at all for Tyro somehow, and Faris can't use it until I dive her.

A good idea once you've caught up on everything you think you might currently want to use is to keep an eye on the orb costs for honing future 5* abilities, so you know what dailies/orbfest phases to prioritize. I'm currently in the frustrating part where I'm flush with one orb type per daily but need the others (I have plenty of Power but could use more Black, tons of NE but need more Ice, etc.) which makes deciding what dailies to skip to do events and multiplayer fights more difficult. Thursday is the easy skip, of course, but I've started holding off on Wednesdays too since wind orbs are barely used by anything anymore (although that'll change once more Thief abilities start dropping) and I have tons of lightning already.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
Guh, that's what I meant, banner 4. I have no idea how I wrote 2 in there...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Beasteh posted:

Firion BSB makes Amandine a joke, bring an imperil holy and let all the Pecils murder her

I ran it with Noel and Vaan using thunder/fire resist accessories (gigas armlet, necrophobe necklace...etc) though the accessories are just overkill because of how much breakdown stacking is going on. The U+ run I did lacked any sort of +atk/mag buff for the party but we someone had brought eiko and her BSB so I don't think it was actually possible for us to lose the fight. It just took awhile since the highest damage was my Noel's Tempo Flurry and someone else using powerchain->thief's revenge on zidane or w/e.

My Noel/Vaan setup just shuts down the enemy's damage while everyone else does whatever and hopefully someone brought a healer.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I have yet to try the current MP Ult, but if the U+ is any indication then you can generally have a healer overload and still be perfectly fine. My group had four healers (Lenna, Yshtola x2, Ovelia) and four DPS (Vaan, Pecil x2, Ramza)...which meant that we never took much damage through breakdowns/buffs/magic blink and were able to quickly clear any enemies through BSB spam.

Honestly it was relaxing compared to SP U+/U++. Plus the Minfilia event is apparently showing up around the end of December, so I'll be able to add more abilities to the collection.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 9, 2016

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Just finished for the U+ and it wasn't that bad. Decided to pull Wol out for his AoE ATK/MAG breakdown, and Luneth for slowing and damage with his BSB. Once all the mitigation was up it wasn't that bad, although that AoE Dismissal spam with Stoneskin at the end I could see crippling some unlucky teams. Honestly the hardest one for me so far has been XIV Ifrit, just because the timeframe on taking down his spike was pretty short and getting people to focus on that in the first multiplayer beta sucked. Thank goodness for Dreamstage spam.

I'm still having bad performance issues on Android (Moto X Play). It just slows on loading on SBs then has trouble catching up - judging by the stickers the battle ended about 10 seconds earlier for everyone else, even though my Luneth was the one who finished it off :v:. I'm hoping the game runs better once more multiplayer stages start coming out, or at least has better ways to deal with lag. Wouldn't want to drag teams down, but I don't want to miss out on all the multiplayer stuff.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Multiplayer really benefits from emulation, considering how much poo poo there is to be tracked at once by a device that will presumably fit in your pocket. I recall having lag spikes on my tablet such that I couldn't piece together the flow of battle, but on my desktop everything's smooth as butter.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Raids were pretty relaxing this time around. Vaan BSB is still very, very good. Big Bad Ultimate AoE barely scraping 600 damage is funny. :v:

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

For thr orb prioritization question, here's what worked for me. Of course YMMV due to some R1 5* skills being rewards and the power creep in bonus battles.

Full Break R2 was my first 5* hone, and was my only 5* hone for many months

4* hones were Power Breakdown, Armor Breakdown, and Magic Breakdown since I primarily ran physical-Shout teams. Curaja for heals.

I honed a R4 and R3 Lifesiphon for my best SSBs, Banishing Strike for Dispel and Holy weakness, and a few other miscellaneous physical skills.

After that I hoarded until U+ CMs prompted me to hone Saints Cross, Dark Zone, Powerchain, Full Charge, and Dragoon Jump up, along with several Ajas and Dances.

Never honed anything significant for: Monks, Thieves, Summoners, Bards, Samurai, or Spellblades. Just focused on Support, Knights, Healers, and the select high-DPS versatile skills listed above.

Hope this is of some help!

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
Im so salty right now. I did the half off draw and got TWO of Hopes BSB. I can't stand him and I wish this game would give me more relics for the characters I like and use.

Happy but irritated.

Got another peacemaker though :newlol:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

NGDBSS posted:

Multiplayer really benefits from emulation, considering how much poo poo there is to be tracked at once by a device that will presumably fit in your pocket. I recall having lag spikes on my tablet such that I couldn't piece together the flow of battle, but on my desktop everything's smooth as butter.

I've found that lag issues are usually because someone in your team has a bad connection. If you get a leader with a bad connection, the entire battle will run like molasses. If one or two members have bad connections, you'll see intermittent but regular slowdown and lag. If everyone has a good connection it basically runs as smoothly as a normal non-MP battle.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
So I've been hoarding mythril pretty hardcore and am trying to figure out what I'm going to whale-out on. Right now I'm thinking of going nuts on the upcoming FF14 and FFT banners to get a setup something like this:

Orlandu - Blowing stuff up with his OSB
Agrias - Imperil-holy + spellblade stuff
Minifilia - Last stand and even more holy damage + breaks
Alphinaud - Reflect for the last stand + reflect combo
Y'Shtola - Wall, AoE heals and other WHM stuff

Seems like this lineup would be pretty great, mostly on the strength of the Orlandu Agrias and Minifilia combo just making GBS threads out holy damage while being able to bring a pretty flexible loadout. Y'Shtola is pretty amazing too, but the only one I'm a little unsure about is Alphinaud. I understand his SSB combos with Last Stand to do some amazing stuff, but other than that, Orlandu and Agrias gives me plenty of elemental damage, and because the rest of the team is physical, he might be the weak link. Vessel of Fate as a RW does help this but would I be better off just bringing Vaan and his BSB?

Am I missing anything here or would this be a setup that would last me for a while?

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

ApplesandOranges posted:

Not too surprisingly really, most of the FFVIII characters get really good relics that can really propel them upwards (Fujin, Edea, Zell, Quistis, Irvine). Sorry if you're a main character though.

Squall just got a second BSB on the JP side, and it's got an Enblizzard entry to pair up with his OSB. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbPTtwYmhRI

Selphie's USB (Heavy Medica + Guts + Major Regen): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCDIOGcWY4c
Irvine's BSB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41JdhqbaaQw

Varance fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Dec 9, 2016

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Silvergun1000 posted:

So I've been hoarding mythril pretty hardcore and am trying to figure out what I'm going to whale-out on. Right now I'm thinking of going nuts on the upcoming FF14 and FFT banners to get a setup something like this:

Orlandu - Blowing stuff up with his OSB
Agrias - Imperil-holy + spellblade stuff
Minifilia - Last stand and even more holy damage + breaks
Alphinaud - Reflect for the last stand + reflect combo
Y'Shtola - Wall, AoE heals and other WHM stuff

Seems like this lineup would be pretty great, mostly on the strength of the Orlandu Agrias and Minifilia combo just making GBS threads out holy damage while being able to bring a pretty flexible loadout. Y'Shtola is pretty amazing too, but the only one I'm a little unsure about is Alphinaud. I understand his SSB combos with Last Stand to do some amazing stuff, but other than that, Orlandu and Agrias gives me plenty of elemental damage, and because the rest of the team is physical, he might be the weak link. Vessel of Fate as a RW does help this but would I be better off just bringing Vaan and his BSB?

Am I missing anything here or would this be a setup that would last me for a while?

You better have a poo poo ton of Mythril, or better prepare to spend some serious cash. :v:

It's kinda pointless to give advice on a perfect dream scenario where you get every single chase relic on multiple banners.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Yeah, I've pulled like twice in the past few months and thanks to some good luck I've been able to coast for a while and should have like 500 when FF14 hits. Not sure how long after that FFT hits, but I'll have even more after that.

I'm more asking, are the FF14 and FFT good enough to justify holding off on stuff like the OSBfest banners?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

FF14 is for sure. Orlandu's banner is much weaker aside from Orlandu's OSB.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Silvergun1000 posted:

Yeah, I've pulled like twice in the past few months and thanks to some good luck I've been able to coast for a while and should have like 500 when FF14 hits. Not sure how long after that FFT hits, but I'll have even more after that.

I'm more asking, are the FF14 and FFT good enough to justify holding off on stuff like the OSBfest banners?

They are extremely good and if that's your dream then follow it, but I personally find you get massively diminishing returns after three pulls on the same banner. Basically unless you magically only got the top tiers on those first pulls, everything after that is just gonna be Synergy dupes.

But that's just me, and if you do want to chase that dream then shine on you crazy diamond.

I will drink in your sorrow when even 500 isn't enough.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I'm not actually sure if the global OSB-fest banners have been leaked/datamined yet. We know that the event is coming, but so far every other Fest-banner has had their relics switched around in Global. We might get something amazing, we might get something worse. :shrug:

But the XIV and T banners are great, so can't go wrong with those at least.

(edit) With 500 mythril, I'd probably budget my pulls. Like spend 200 at most on one banner, and spread around the pulls somewhat.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Dec 9, 2016

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
In general, they update the graphics right as the festival starts to keep people doubting the content and get you to spend mythril on earlier events.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

150 mythril and probably one paid pull on XIV, depending on luck (hah), I want to set aside at least one 11 pull for my girl Terra's OSB.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I have... 95 mythril.

What have I done. :negative:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Varance posted:

Squall just got a second BSB on the JP side, and it's got an Enblizzard entry to pair up with his OSB. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbPTtwYmhRI

Selphie's USB (Heavy Medica + Guts + Major Regen): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCDIOGcWY4c
Irvine's BSB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41JdhqbaaQw

To establish, Squall's BSB2 is fantastic without taking into account +element equipment (which is to his disadvantage since +ice equipment is rare). The DPS given certain factors like Celes' RM3 is enough for his command 2 to beat 5* skills. If you have Squall RW TGCid OSB it ranks up there as one of the best DPS Bursts, although it takes more time to set up compared to others like Zell's.

I'm probably budgeting a bit of Mythril for that banner when we get closer to it. I've been wanting a Squall relic for ages and I've whiffed almost every time I've tried to get one.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Uh. I literally just spent some stamina a few hours ago, but now I'm getting a Google Account Error message saying: "Your Google account or this app is not authorized by Google Play Service". Is this happening to anyone else on Android...?

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Zurai posted:

Galuf's SSB is actually really, really strong. There's a guy on Reddit who solos (sometimes he has to bring characters with Mako Might and Entrust if hit & run isn't an option) every U++ boss with Galuf. The posts are titled, appropriately enough, Galuf Solos Everything.
Really? I'll have to check that out.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Happens to me all the time on android. Using a HTC One M8.

I gave up and started emulating multiplayer fights because thanks to abilities/sbs literally freezing the game for a good 5 seconds each, plus lag, I probably lose a good 5-6 full actions in the average fight. loving abysmal. Buttery smooth on apple phones though :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Beat the difficulty 160 multiplayer boss with only 3 players for the entire fight. :c00lbert:

Unsurprisingly, multiplayer is super easy when you have shout, vessel, wall, a healer BSB, and an offensive BSB.

• Locked thread