Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
getting a used copy of SHCD is probably cheapest if you do it through the bgg used market https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2511/sherlock-holmes-consulting-detective

theyre pretty trustworthy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I mean you'll never get good at platformers if you don't play them

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just never had a nintendo growing up, never developed the reflexes for sidescrolling jump physics. A few people have tried to get me to play it, but they pretty much give up after watching me die to the first goomba and fall in the first hole like 10 times in a row.

Since I have no nostalgia for the games, I don't really care if I'm "missing out" or whatever.

edit: ^ I just don't have any interest in them as a genre.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Also, raditts, did you fall asleep again during Earthbound? The sleep thing is the same reason I've never played it. The only other game that puts me to sleep like that is the new Lego game that came out. After about an hour the Earthbound Syndrome came on.

I have fallen asleep playing so many games it's a borderline issue for me. The best time for me to play games is late at night, and I really push myself past my limits. I fell asleep on the couch for a few hours while playing FFXV and when I camped Prompto had a series of pictures of everyone standing the same spots at different times of the day. Even high octane stuff won't keep me up. I remember playing the new DOOM and waking up from mini naps with a sliver of health left because I dozed off in the middle of a firefight. I'm glad I live in an era where I can put the console into rest mode where ever I am in a game and be able to pick it back up later because trying to fight off sleep while looking for a save point isn't a fun or healthy time.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
mmbn5 was good imo

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I know a guy who fell asleep while playing Ocarina of Time and slept for like 9 hours and when he woke up Link was just swimming in circles.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'm borrowing a friend's ps4 so I can play ff15 starting this weekend. This is the same friends who lent me his ps4 to play bloodborne on. I keep offering my wii u in return but he doesn't think anything is worth playing on it :negative:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The only real platformers I like are Mario games. I mean, I also like Metroid and Castlevania games, but those series both have a lot of other stuff going on and aren't pure platforming.

I have a lot of affection for Mega Man but I'm just so insanely bad at Mega Man games that I never really have any fun. I did enjoy a couple of the Battle Network games and Legends, of course.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

MMF Freeway posted:

I'm borrowing a friend's ps4 so I can play ff15 starting this weekend. This is the same friends who lent me his ps4 to play bloodborne on. I keep offering my wii u in return but he doesn't think anything is worth playing on it :negative:

Bayonetta 2?

I'm so mad that I can't play either Bayonetta on my PS4...

edit: I like "platformers" like Tomb Raider, where jumps are fixed distances. I can't cope with the "you control your character's forward and backward movement while in the air" aspect of Mario. Tomb Raider has like, 4 different jump distances, which all have their place (Jumping and landing on your feet, jumping and grabbing, running and jumping and landing on your feet, and running and jumping and grabbing).

Snak fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 9, 2016

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It annoyed me that sprinting doesn't make you jump farther in TR, that's how literally every other game works.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Beyonetta 2 would have been so much better on PS4. So much of the games otherwise brilliant presentation is held back by the really weak hardware of the Wii U.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh, for the record I meant Tomb Raider (1996). It doesn't have sprinting. I think sprinting was introduced in Tomb Raider 3. I don't remember if it made you jump farther or not. I think you did a roll while sprinting.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Oh, in ROTTR there's a popup that says explicitly that sprinting does not make you jump farther. I kept doing it out of habit anyway.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hot videogames take of the day: ban open worlds. I can't shake the feeling that both MGSV and FFXV were negatively impacted by having so much of their development resources dumped into building and populating open worlds that ultimately don't add enough to the overall experience to overcome poorly-told stories and, in FFXV's case, basically turning into FFXIII in the last act.

The only example of a late-franchise game that "went open world" and didn't totally poo poo the bed is The Witcher 3. That's it.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Nothing kills my motivation to continued playing a game if there's an open world with MMO-style quests involved. I never finished FF13, and I suspect I'm an outlier here, but I made great progress during the linear part of it and petered out in about two days after I hit the open world.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

You can sorta blow through FFXIII's first open-ish segment--just blasting through the required story quests doesn't take very long and then the game goes back on rails until the post-game. That said, eh, it's also not exactly an essential game so I'm not recommending you go back and give it another shot or anything :v:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Hot videogames take of the day: ban open worlds. I can't shake the feeling that both MGSV and FFXV were negatively impacted by having so much of their development resources dumped into building and populating open worlds that ultimately don't add enough to the overall experience to overcome poorly-told stories and, in FFXV's case, basically turning into FFXIII in the last act.

The only example of a late-franchise game that "went open world" and didn't totally poo poo the bed is The Witcher 3. That's it.

I was gonna say "But Witcher 3!" and then I finished reading your post.

The thing is, with level sizes being able to be so big now, "Open World" can't necessarily be rigidly defined. Witcher 3's "open world" is, without doubt, open, but it's not designed like GTA or Skyrim or anything. Each part of Witcher 3's open world is essentially a crafted area with its own little story. It doesn't use the premise of "you can go anwhere and there are X hidden collectibles and..." or whatever. If you were to convert Witcher 3 into a "non open-world" game, you would be cutting out smuggler's caches and that's about it. Existing storylines and events would be more strictly gated into discrete levels, but it wouldn't touch the guts of the game. Compare that to Skyrim, where taking out the open world" would remove 90% of the game.

"Open World" is a term that everyone accepts as having a meaning, but it's pretty grey what the difference between an Open World and an Over World is.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

MGSV's open world feels especially barren and boring to traverse. It's dotted with these tiny camps with like 4-8 guys in them that don't add much after you do them like 20 times and like nothing in-between. There are a few examples of side missions using some of the normally barren landscape in interesting ways (that really early one where you have to capture the sniper up on a hill comes to mind) but for the majority of the game the really interesting gameplay feels like it's happening on the huge bases/complexes.

Sure the open world allows you to approach some of the big complexes in a different ways but you could have done that without the game being truly "open-world".

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The open world part in FF13 is a huge vertical increase in difficulty when you first get there and basically smacks the emergency brakes on a game that that was pretty fast paced until that point. Just trying to follow the story will get you completely and utterly owned so you're expected to spend something like 8 hours doing the early C'ieth stone missions and learning which enemies can safely tackled and which you have to avoid.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

mgs5 deffo should've had peace walker's style of missions + maps, and maybe a free roam where you can just goof off on the maps

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
yeah, I think it's pretty telling that some of MGSVs best missions weren't ones you could approach from any angle.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If you have to climb a thing to reveal the map, the game is probably bad

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Maps in general are highly over-rated.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I remember just running past everything on pulse until I got inside some big building, wasn't so hard. I definitely didn't do any quests.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 9, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Snak posted:

Maps in general are highly over-rated.

I'm playing Rise of the Tomb Raider at the moment and I'm starting to agree with this.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What if Dark Souls had an in-game map

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Wildtortilla posted:

Nothing kills my motivation to continued playing a game if there's an open world with MMO-style quests involved. I never finished FF13, and I suspect I'm an outlier here, but I made great progress during the linear part of it and petered out in about two days after I hit the open world.

imo you finished the game if you finished the storyline.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

If you have to climb a thing to reveal the map, the game is probably bad

Horizon Zero Dawn is taking a page out of UBISoft games and doing this. I vomitted in my mouth when I saw that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah I've been playing MGS5 and I definitely wish it was more like the old style of games where the stages are carefully designed for you to approach them from a particular angle and the area is broken up into distinct rooms. For one thing, it would mean that it's possible to predict where guards are going to come from, and being spotted by one wouldn't mean a 25 minute sequence of running from 8 million guards coming from all corners of the earth. It would also mean less huge wide open spaces with nothing to hide behind. The game's almost completely designed to discourage you from actually playing it like a metal gear game and instead just kill everyone out of sheer frustration.

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm playing Rise of the Tomb Raider at the moment and I'm starting to agree with this.

Isn't that game just a straight line.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 9, 2016

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Pretty much yeah. It's a lot more linear then it tries to portray itself as.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, but it's a straight line through very wide areas that constantly break out in collectibles as you walk around and unlock things. Also each area has a couple of things you can't do with the gear you have on the first visit, to wring a few more hours out of backtracking or postgame.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

haveblue posted:

Yeah, but it's a straight line through very wide areas that constantly break out in collectibles as you walk around and unlock things. Also each area has a couple of things you can't do with the gear you have on the first visit, to wring a few more hours out of backtracking or postgame.

That sounds godawful.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

I was gonna say "But Witcher 3!" and then I finished reading your post.

The thing is, with level sizes being able to be so big now, "Open World" can't necessarily be rigidly defined. Witcher 3's "open world" is, without doubt, open, but it's not designed like GTA or Skyrim or anything. Each part of Witcher 3's open world is essentially a crafted area with its own little story. It doesn't use the premise of "you can go anwhere and there are X hidden collectibles and..." or whatever. If you were to convert Witcher 3 into a "non open-world" game, you would be cutting out smuggler's caches and that's about it. Existing storylines and events would be more strictly gated into discrete levels, but it wouldn't touch the guts of the game. Compare that to Skyrim, where taking out the open world" would remove 90% of the game.

"Open World" is a term that everyone accepts as having a meaning, but it's pretty grey what the difference between an Open World and an Over World is.

Yeah, and to be fair, I don't necessarily mean that all video games should be linear with discrete levels. Like, I wouldn't call Dark Souls "open world," but I think it's stronger for having its levels be connected and something you can traverse without hitting a loading screen.

There have just been so few games with wide-open worlds--the kind that the marketing calls an "open world"--where those worlds actually added to the experience that I really hope it's a trend that dies. If there's a game with a big, wide-open place to explore and that actually adds to the experience, fantastic! But otherwise, it's just busywork that takes up resources that could've been better spent elsewhere.

I guess Final Fantasy XII could be considered "open world" and I think it's a better game for it, but it also doesn't use that open world to bog you down with busywork or entirely abandon it at some point.

And I remain optimistic about Zelda: Breath of the Wild's open world, if only because it looks like they're treating it like a toy for the player to play with more than anything else. If it ends up being crammed with busywork collectathon side quests (y'know, worse than the Zelda usual, I mean) I'll be pretty sad.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, I agree with your sentiment. The GTA + WoW model is what's wrong. The idea that "wandering around a large space" will be fun because cars, wild animals, collectible plants provide "unlimited content" is just poor design. Many lovely games are made with the idea that this will be enough to make them, and they do.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I got Rise of the Tomb Raider on sale a few days ago and I'm really enjoying it

I could do without the weapon upgrading/crafting stuff since those systems never do anything for me (idk who the human being is that cares about upgrading their handgun's rate of fire) but Lara is cool and the shooting/stealth/climbing is fun. I'm progressing a lot slower than I should because I get hung up on getting the collectibles before moving on but I'm ok with that

I'll also say I think both of the new Tomb Raiders do puzzles way better than Uncharted. I really like the optional tombs

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really wished that the new Tomb Raider games didn't have in-combat regenerating health. I feel like it undermines the whole "be a tough survivor" aspect. I'm fine with it in Uncharted, because Uncharted is explicitly about fast-paced cinematic action and nobody wants to have to slow down and scrounge for medical supplies on a rollicking Nathan Drake adventure, but Tomb Raider doesn't really sell itself that way. I wouldn't have minded having to craft healing items like in The Last of Us, really.

I haven't played Rise of the Tomb Raider yet, but I did enjoy the first rebooted one despite that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
DOOM documentary trailer, looks like it'll be a big ol' three-parter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkH78CGsjhc&hd=1

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah it's fun enough and the tombs are actually pretty decent this time around, I could just do with it not triggering my collectible OCD whenever I get to a new area.
Also wolves suck and apparently hurt worse than getting shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It still really bugs me that they redesigned Lara Croft to be a moe~ ellen paige lookalike so players would feel bad for her and 'want to protect her'. Lara Croft should be kicking people's tookis, not being grossed out by scorpions.

• Locked thread